John Hartwell asking to be called John

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
GameFAQSAggie

John Hartwell asking to be called John

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 12th, 2020, 10:30 pm

When John Hartwell said in the press conference that they could address him as John rather than Mr. Hartwell, that reminded me of some random things related to first names.
1. When I was in middle school, we were learning about debate and we could, as a class, pick any topic we wanted to debate. Someone suggested if we could call a teacher by their first name. Almost everyone raised their hands enthusiastic about that topic. But there was only one problem with that topic: Half the class had to argue on the side of students being required to say Mr. and Mrs., as the whole class couldn't argue in favor of first names.
2. There is a school in Logan, an alternative school, Fast Forward Charter High School, where all the teachers go by their first names, even the principal. Maybe that's standard at all schools that are modeled like that one, and other people work at schools that do that as well.
3. I was once writing a letter the mayor as a requirement for the Citizenship in the community merit badge. The Logan mayor at the time was Doug Thompson. I started it out saying "Dear Doug" and my mom told me I should address him as Mayor Thompson or Mr. Thompson. But while I changed it, my dad was like "He probably gets called worse things than his first name"
4. One setting where it varies if first names are used or not is scouts/ young men's. All of us can remember that varying from leader to leader. While the constants would be the bishop as Bishop, and the counselors as Brother, there would be a mix of leaders that you would get used to calling by their first names that Brother sounds weird, and leaders that you are used to saying Brother cause they demand it, that you forget what their first name is like you do with school teachers cause you never use it.
5. I can remember when I would overhear basketball players talking about what Morrill told them in a meeting or something, and them saying "Coach Morrill", never addressing him as Stew, would be the exact opposite of in school when we would overhear principals saying each other's first names while being used to knowing them as Mr. and Mrs. Or sometimes they would go by Doctor even though some people didn't like saying that.
6. I will sometimes deliver food for doordash to a doctor at a clinic, and since it always just tells me the customer's first name, I tell the receptionist who it's for, just saying the name I have, and it will sound weird since it's a rare occasion the doctor is referred to by their first name as they are used to saying, and having everyone else say "Doctor"
7. Anyone who has gone on a mission, or even that is a member that makes friends with the local missionaries, knows the whole deal with not using first names. One thing that used to be fairly common was for missionaries gathered as a district or zone to play a game of guessing each other's first names, as it was literally a guess cause the first names are never used.
Some people might have stories about playing that game, or having some missionaries in their mission that they to this day just know their last names but not their first. Obviously, this was before, they let missionaries get on facebook(as there was a period of time facebook existed but with missionaries not allowed on it), as today cause of facebook, they are most likely going to, while never using them, know everyone's first names.
8. Ahbye would probably know more about this, but I heard somewhere that in police departments, it's fairly common for new officers to have to say Sergeant, Lieutenant, Chief, etc., while more veteran officers to just say everyone's first name.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
918AGG

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: John Hartwell asking to be called John

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 13th, 2020, 7:37 am

I learned from Mr. Deeds that when you start calling people by their first name, you run the risk of getting pregnant.

"Want me to wipe the leaves on your ficus tree, Mr. Blake?"
"You can call me Preston."
"Want me to wipe the leaves on your ficus tree, Preston?"
"Yes. Yes! YES!"

[they embrace wildly]

On that same note, I think if you have a master's degree they should call you master. Master Hartwell, Lordship of Olde Main.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttReal Life Aggie

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 13th, 2020, 8:10 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 7:37 am
I learned from Mr. Deeds that when you start calling people by their first name, you run the risk of getting pregnant.

"Want me to wipe the leaves on your ficus tree, Mr. Blake?"
"You can call me Preston."
"Want me to wipe the leaves on your ficus tree, Preston?"
"Yes. Yes! YES!"

[they embrace wildly]

On that same note, I think if you have a master's degree they should call you master. Master Hartwell, Lordship of Olde Main.
Whilst I would love to add a title to my name and be all fancy and shtuff, I think there might be some folks that would have a struggle calling someone Master anything. Just a thought
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Go Aggies!

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » November 14th, 2020, 9:38 am

The phrase Master ___________, can have it's purpose. In high school a guy with the last name of Batey ran for student body president, and his campaign slogan quickly morphed into "Vote for MasterBatey". The administration and school board went apoplectic but he won in a landslide.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
sam tingey

Locked Previous topicNext topic