Passing thought & prediction

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Passing thought & prediction

Post by brownjeans » November 4th, 2020, 7:30 pm

The USMNT pool of players has more LEGITIMATE young (late teens early twenties) talent than ever before. Not "good for american" one-off players like Landon Donovan, but good for anywhere players. Players starting or playing meaningful minutes for the top European teams. Players that are borderline stars on teams playing in the champions league. Real, legit, good, players. And not just one or two of these players, but several. Like 6 to 8 players of this quality.

In 2026 the World Cup is hosted by North America (Mexico, USA, Canada). Look for the US to challenge for the trophy.

Being American, most of you probably hate soccer, but being American, most of you love kicking butt - even in things you don't care about (Olympic sports anyone). We may be close to kicking the worlds butt at their game.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: Passing thought & prediction

Post by NVAggie » November 4th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Can’t wait.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
TheAKAggie

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 4th, 2020, 9:08 pm

I really, really enjoy the World Cup. It's probably my favorite sporting event. I'd love nothing more than seeing than seeing the USA be competitive on our home turf.

I have major concerns about Berhalter as coach though. I think they need to get rid of him and swing for the fences to bring in a name from overseas.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 5th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Agree with 3rdgenaggie, my favorite event along with March Madness and the olympics.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 5th, 2020, 3:57 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 9:08 pm
I really, really enjoy the World Cup. It's probably my favorite sporting event. I'd love nothing more than seeing than seeing the USA be competitive on our home turf.

I have major concerns about Berhalter as coach though. I think they need to get rid of him and swing for the fences to bring in a name from overseas.
I'm with you on Berhalter. The USMNT has a problem where our coaching talent is behind our playing talent. Arena, Bradley, Berhalter - none of these guys are top-tier managers.

I think a lot of great european coaches would come here and be very frustrated with the immaturity of the sport here by comparison to Europe. Klinsmann was a guy who knew the US well, and was still super frustrated by it. But even though Klinsmann had some crazy ideas for the USMNT itself, his point of view gave us some really sound ideas for creating a system of development for young talent. His push to change our approach was valuable.
It would be perfect if we can find a european coach who is excited about the prospect of building a national system (even working with MLS clubs to create youth leagues and develop players and coaches). IMO, that would really develop the future of the sport here and lead to international success.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggievegasaggie

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 5th, 2020, 4:41 pm

It would be a tough job to manager the USMNT. While it's not as high pressure as managing Brazil or some other real powerhouse, the Olympics have taught us Americans to have high expectations for every sport, regardless of how close we follow it.

The job comes with the same high American expectations, but less support, fewer kids going into your sport compared to European countries (although this is growing), significantly weaker national system with academies, etc.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
brownjeans

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 9th, 2020, 11:46 am

I used to hate soccer. Over the years however, I have had kids and grandkids play, and I even coached for a year. So now I don’t hate soccer, I only despise it.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
brownjeans

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 9th, 2020, 12:02 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 11:46 am
I used to hate soccer. Over the years however, I have had kids and grandkids play, and I even coached for a year. So now I don’t hate soccer, I only despise it.
I don't go to the level of "hate" or even "despise", I am just indifferent. I just don't get the appeal and I most likely haven't given it a chance. I couldn't name one player by photo in Euro leagues, South American leagues, or MLS. I could only name a handful of teams in those leagues. It just does not interest me at all. It's on par with the WNBA, Indian cricket leagues, Nascar, and professional bowling. I know those sports exist and there are people that compete at a very high level of skill and athleticism (except for maybe the bowlers), I just don't have the time or inclination to follow them. I have devoted more time to typing these few sentences than I have to considering watching a soccer game. I don't care that other people get into it - just not my thing.

Eutaw St. Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 9th, 2020, 12:40 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
LOL
I played soccer for years, coach it now. My son plays (he's WAY better than I ever was). It can be really frustrating. It's a game that punishes mistakes with great ferocity. And in a game where you are prohibited from using the most agile parts of your body, mistakes are common.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 9th, 2020, 12:50 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
When I hear you say you coached it makes me envision as will Farrell in the movie kicking and screaming

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 10th, 2020, 12:26 pm

slcagg wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 12:50 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
When I hear you say you coached it makes me envision as will Farrell in the movie kicking and screaming
You guys do make me laugh. Actually, I was very tongue-in-cheek with my post. Still, I don't love soccer, nor would I spend any money to go to a REAL game. Soccer is just soccer. I can watch a few world cup games, that is about it. (except grandkids games) That said....I will take baseball over about anything else. (yes, I am older)
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
slcagg

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 10th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Yossarian wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 12:02 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
I don't go to the level of "hate" or even "despise", I am just indifferent. I just don't get the appeal and I most likely haven't given it a chance. I couldn't name one player by photo in Euro leagues, South American leagues, or MLS. I could only name a handful of teams in those leagues. It just does not interest me at all. It's on par with the WNBA, Indian cricket leagues, Nascar, and professional bowling. I know those sports exist and there are people that compete at a very high level of skill and athleticism (except for maybe the bowlers), I just don't have the time or inclination to follow them. I have devoted more time to typing these few sentences than I have to considering watching a soccer game. I don't care that other people get into it - just not my thing.
You just described me to a "T" I did go to an RSL game a few years back because my daughter was doing something at halftime. I actually enjoyed the game, but haven't made any effort to go to another.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
NVAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 10th, 2020, 4:22 pm

I've been to two RSL games. Everyone told me I would love it. I wasn't entertained much. I won't make any efforts to go back.

sneed

Post by sneed » November 10th, 2020, 4:37 pm

NVAggie wrote:I've been to two RSL games. Everyone told me I would love it. I wasn't entertained much. I won't make any efforts to go back.
I generally don’t like it much but can watch it occasionally. Played for 5 years or so when I was little but it’s pretty hard to watch.

I went to a RSL game. We sat by the Seattle crowd. I thought it was pretty fun. (They get very into it - like Seahawk fans) My wife turns to me about an hour into it - “We are NEVER coming back here!” Left early and haven’t been back. Glad she is okay with basketball and football!

coolag

Post by coolag » November 10th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Lol the USMNT war cry!!! Here we come!!

Regulator of Class

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 17th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Yesterday the USMNT put a team filled with guys that average around 21 years old on the field and beat Panama 6-2.

And they have 3 other players about the same age who didn't play and are better than those who played.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 17th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Pulisic will go down as the greatest American player ever by the time he hangs up his cleats (or should I say boots :joking: ) and he's only 22.

He obviously doesn't have the accolades yet, but from a skill standpoint he's already not terribly far off.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
brownjeans

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » November 17th, 2020, 1:31 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 1:02 pm
Pulisic will go down as the greatest American player ever by the time he hangs up his cleats (or should I say boots :joking: ) and he's only 22.

He obviously doesn't have the accolades yet, but from a skill standpoint he's already not terribly far off.
No question he is the best US player. If he stays healthy I agree.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Locked Previous topicNext topic