NBA

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
mcaggie1

NBA

Post by mcaggie1 » June 15th, 2020, 2:22 pm

I see where Donovan Mitchell and other NBA elites are not wanting to show up in July to get ready for the rest of the season (playoffs).

I find that more than interesting. What have they been doing the past few months? Sitting on their butts and drinking beer?
I guess there are no more Karl Malones in this sporting world. Malone kept in shape, and I mean great shape during the offseason. If he were still playing, and this virus mess was going on......when the players were notified the season was continuing, he would be the first to show up ready to go and IN SHAPE.

Yossarian

Re: NBA

Post by Yossarian » June 15th, 2020, 3:24 pm

I remember reading an article about Malone and how he kept himself in condition in the offseason. He said there were many mornings he got up at 5:30 (like usual) and he just didn't want to work out. Then he would walk by his home gym and he said he just "knew" that Stockton was at his house working out. He did not want to disappoint John and that motivated him. Those two veterans set a great example for their teammates and demanded nothing more or nothing less than the effort they put in themselves. They would be pissed if a guy showed up to camp out of shape.

Eutaw St. Aggie

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » June 15th, 2020, 4:30 pm

I have not seen where Mitchell doesn't want to show up. I've only seen where he expressed his concerns about injury and things like that.

In fact what Mitchell is asking for is some guarantee against illness or injury:

"As a result, some of the league's top young stars are seeking insurance policies from the league in the result a COVID-19 infection, or debilitating injury could prevent them from signing a max contract extension when they're eligible later this fall. The group from the 2017 draft class includes Jayson Tatum, Bam Adebayo, Donovan Mitchell, De'Aaron Fox and Kyle Kuzma, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/jays ... e-restart/

Seems fair to me.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 15th, 2020, 6:12 pm

Ed Davis is now my favorite NBA player.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 15th, 2020, 11:23 pm

AgMan21 wrote:I have not seen where Mitchell doesn't want to show up. I've only seen where he expressed his concerns about injury and things like that.

In fact what Mitchell is asking for is some guarantee against illness or injury:

"As a result, some of the league's top young stars are seeking insurance policies from the league in the result a COVID-19 infection, or debilitating injury could prevent them from signing a max contract extension when they're eligible later this fall. The group from the 2017 draft class includes Jayson Tatum, Bam Adebayo, Donovan Mitchell, De'Aaron Fox and Kyle Kuzma, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski."

Seems fair to me.

I don’t get what would stop him from signing a max contract. He’s already had the Rona anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
aggies22

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » June 16th, 2020, 9:38 am

AgMan21 wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 4:30 pm
I have not seen where Mitchell doesn't want to show up. I've only seen where he expressed his concerns about injury and things like that.

Seems fair to me.
He said he would sit out because he is worried about injury. Why would he say that if he was in playing shape?
If he means something else, he has a funny way of saying it.

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » June 16th, 2020, 9:56 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 9:38 am
AgMan21 wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Seems fair to me.
He said he would sit out because he is worried about injury. Why would he say that if he was in playing shape?
If he means something else, he has a funny way of saying it.
Exactly, and there is a risk of injury every time you suit up, so why is he playing basketball anyway, if he is afraid to injury. And there is a greater chance of injury just driving around the city then playing, especially if he is in shape.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » June 16th, 2020, 10:03 am

Obviously he views this as his livelihood (as he should) and he wants to cover all his bases. Makes complete sense to me.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 16th, 2020, 10:09 am

AgMan21 wrote:Obviously he views this as his livelihood (as he should) and he wants to cover all his bases. Makes complete sense to me.
I’m confused. What bases need covering?

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
sstrasser

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » June 16th, 2020, 4:09 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:03 am
Obviously he views this as his livelihood (as he should) and he wants to cover all his bases. Makes complete sense to me.
I see your point, and DM and others have a right to feel that way. But my point is that Karl Malone comes from a different time and mindset. He and John Stockton would be ready physically and mentally for come what may. That is all I am saying. They were thinking of the fans who help pay their salaries. They wanted to be ready for them. You can get injured any minute playing at that level. Next thing we know the current players will want their "bases covered" every year whether they are in shape or not.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » June 16th, 2020, 4:10 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:03 am
I see your point, and DM and others have a right to feel that way. But my point is that Karl Malone comes from a different time and mindset. He and John Stockton would be ready physically and mentally for come what may. That is all I am saying. They were thinking of the fans who help pay their salaries. They wanted to be ready for them. You can get injured any minute playing at that level. Next thing we know the current players will want their "bases covered" every year whether they are in shape or not. Malone felt that he had to take a bulk of the responsibility. Current players don't seem to be.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 16th, 2020, 5:18 pm

cracks forming... interesting

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 22nd, 2020, 11:15 am

I love Stockton and Malone and even started a thread on here a few months ago giving praise to the iron man that was John Stockton. With that said they never had to deal with something like the current state of things. I imagine Mitchell will play, but I can see him having some questions first. Being secluded in a bubble for a few months is not something anybody is going to do with no questions asked.

ususports

Post by ususports » June 22nd, 2020, 11:43 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 11:15 am
I love Stockton and Malone and even started a thread on here a few months ago giving praise to the iron man that was John Stockton. With that said they never had to deal with something like the current state of things. I imagine Mitchell will play, but I can see him having some questions first. Being secluded in a bubble for a few months is not something anybody is going to do with no questions asked.
If someone offered me a few million dollars to play basketball while being secluded in a bubble for a few months, I would do it no questions asked. So there is somebody who would.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 23rd, 2020, 10:24 am

ususports wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 11:43 pm
If someone offered me a few million dollars to play basketball while being secluded in a bubble for a few months, I would do it no questions asked. So there is somebody who would.
You would still have questions about it. Being away from your family for several months in a tight secluded area with strict rules is going to produce a back and forth. Money is not the only thing in life. Trevor Ariza decided to forgo in his salary to spend time with his son while in the midst of a custody battle. You may not like that, but good for him. There are more important thing than money.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
sstrasser

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 24th, 2020, 10:34 am

June 23rd, 2020, 10:24 am
ususports wrote:
You would still have questions about it. Being away from your family for several months in a tight secluded area with strict rules is going to produce a back and forth. Money is not the only thing in life. Trevor Ariza decided to forgo in his salary to spend time with his son while in the midst of a custody battle. You may not like that, but good for him. There are more important thing than money.
I think this is insane. You are paid to do a job. You are paid very well to do a job. Yet, somehow you are praised for choosing to "forgo" reporting to work. How many of us have the luxury of choosing to "forgo" reporting to work? Professional athletes, entertainers, and celebrities just amaze me with their sense of entitlement.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
slcaggsstrasser

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 24th, 2020, 12:43 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 10:34 am
ususports wrote:
I think this is insane. You are paid to do a job. You are paid very well to do a job. Yet, somehow you are praised for choosing to "forgo" reporting to work. How many of us have the luxury of choosing to "forgo" reporting to work? Professional athletes, entertainers, and celebrities just amaze me with their sense of entitlement.
Well they are not getting paid if they choose not to go.

I don't think anyone is praising players for not going. I am not praising guys if they choose not to go, but I understand it. The world is crazy right now. There is a lot of uncertainty and it is not an easy time to be away from your kids. I am not going to hate on a guy for turning down millions to be with his family right now. Avery Bradley for example has three kids under the age of 6. His 6 year old struggles with respiratory problems. Sorry I am not going to criticize Bradley for choosing to be with his kids at a time like this instead of leaving for several months and making his wife take care of everything. There are more important things than money.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
aggies22NVAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 24th, 2020, 1:28 pm

I don't care if the players decide to go or stay home. I won't be watching them either way.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Jjoey52

ususports

Post by ususports » June 24th, 2020, 1:30 pm

NVAggie wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 1:28 pm
I don't care if the players decide to go or stay home. I won't be watching them either way.
I think you have mistaken this for another baseball thread. :sarcasm:

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 27th, 2020, 11:06 am

NVAggie wrote:
I can't wait. It will be exciting to have basketball back and I am curious about how it all plays out.

No fans and no travel fatigue will lead to guys that usually don't normally play well stepping up. Think of Brock Miller. Supposedly he was money in practice last year, just struggled in games. A situation like this could benefit the NBA version of Brock Miller.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 27th, 2020, 9:09 pm

NVAggie wrote:
I’m with you. No pro sports and I haven’t been on ESPNBC in 3 weeks with no plans to return.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 27th, 2020, 9:20 pm

Except for USU games and sunday night baseball, I haven't watched ESPN for well over 5 years. Probably closer to 10.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
NVAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » June 29th, 2020, 5:23 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 10:34 am
ususports wrote:
Yes. Your comments are right on in my way of thinking. You sound as if Malone was the one making the comment. But I guess he was very unusual compared to todays athletes.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
aggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 30th, 2020, 6:10 am

I am very curious what ratings will look like. I’ve always been of the mind that you want to keep politics out of sports. Granted the nba hasn’t been doing this for years.

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » June 30th, 2020, 1:12 pm

slcagg wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 6:10 am

I am very curious what ratings will look like. I’ve always been of the mind that you want to keep politics out of sports. Granted the nba hasn’t been doing this for years.
correct and now with the NBA announcing they will be painting Black Lives Matter on the court, will that have an affect on ratings or anything. it is getting political, we will see if fans are willing to support that or not.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 30th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Not just BB for Base Ball too!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 30th, 2020, 2:23 pm

sstrasser wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 1:12 pm
slcagg wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 6:10 am

correct and now with the NBA announcing they will be painting Black Lives Matter on the court, will that have an affect on ratings or anything. it is getting political, we will see if fans are willing to support that or not.
Believing that the lives of African Americans matter (which I can't imagine anyone on this board disagrees with, I would sure hope not) and supporting the group labeled Black Lives Matter are two very different things.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
USU78slcagg

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » July 2nd, 2020, 8:33 am

I'm looking forward to what the NBA does. They've been the leader among sports leagues in supporting the fight against racial injustices and supporting their players for a long time. I respect that. The other leagues are finally starting to come around, some of them only after tremendous outside pressure.

If it offends you that I support causes intended to promote equality and justice for all.... Sorry, not sorry.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 2nd, 2020, 9:43 am

treesap32 wrote:I'm looking forward to what the NBA does. They've been the leader among sports leagues in supporting the fight against racial injustices and supporting their players for a long time. I respect that. The other leagues are finally starting to come around, some of them only after tremendous outside pressure.

If it offends you that I support causes intended to promote equality and justice for all.... Sorry, not sorry.
Unless it’s human rights abuses/injustice in China, in which case they don’t have anything to say.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » July 2nd, 2020, 9:51 am

2004AG wrote:
treesap32 wrote:I'm looking forward to what the NBA does. They've been the leader among sports leagues in supporting the fight against racial injustices and supporting their players for a long time. I respect that. The other leagues are finally starting to come around, some of them only after tremendous outside pressure.

Unless it’s human rights abuses/injustice in China, in which case they don’t have anything to say.

Good point

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 9th, 2020, 8:06 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 9:43 am

That is definitely a fair point where the nba and their stars blatantly chose money over even giving lip service to liberty. I understand it as a business decision, but it sure undermines the good they are doing in other areas.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 28th, 2020, 8:37 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/295 ... ign-anthem

Interesting. Not trying to argue what is right and what is wrong here. But I am going to be very interested to see what tv ratings do. I also wonder if they actually will report those accurately. Not sure If this is reported by a third party or who.

coolag

Post by coolag » July 29th, 2020, 6:55 am

June 27th, 2020, 11:06 am
NVAggie wrote:
I can't wait. It will be exciting to have basketball back and I am curious about how it all plays out.

No fans and no travel fatigue will lead to guys that usually don't normally play well stepping up. Think of Brock Miller. Supposedly he was money in practice last year, just struggled in games. A situation like this could benefit the NBA version of Brock Miller.
Nick Hamer approves this message.

Regulator of Class

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 29th, 2020, 7:33 am

Hammer and Miller...empty gym legends.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » August 2nd, 2020, 10:47 am

July 9th, 2020, 8:06 pm
2004AG wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 9:43 am

That is definitely a fair point where the nba and their stars blatantly chose money over even giving lip service to liberty. I understand it as a business decision, but it sure undermines the good they are doing in other areas.
Where is the NBA on NIKE? We are seeing legit reports that NIKE is using modern slave labor in China to make their shoes. In any case 1 million Muslims get put in “re-education” camps and the NBA is not just silent but promoting the NBA in China. As a kid I lived near Dauchau and I am NOT ok with the NBA having a relationship with China and Nike. I’m done and have been done with The NBA for some time now. Especially now that you have players that rather than stand to honor the Buffalo soldiers and Tuskegee Airmen kneel. I can’t get on board with that. There has to be a better way to make a point than disrespecting the greatest among us. If USU were to do that I’d be done immediately even after decades of support because I care more about respecting Personal Freedom, and the sacrifices of those who made sure we have it than I do about U-State sports. I’ve lived in China been Horseback riding and fishing with their Governors met with their central government and can tell you first hand their intent is to overtake the United States or at least that’s what they said when I sat at the table with our ambassador and their central government. I love the Chinese people but their communist government is a really really bad deal. The NBA should stand for freedom.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
USU78

#hornsup!

Locked Previous topicNext topic