Jay Don Blake

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
NowhereLandAggie

Jay Don Blake

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 1st, 2020, 4:19 pm

Call it ignorance, but I never knew he won the NCAA golf tournament in 1980. (It was the year after I was born.) This has to be one of the highlights in USU athletic history, he is basically retired now according to the news, but he made several million dollars as a pro golfer.

I know volleyball won a National Championship in '78 and softball did 2 times in the 80's. Pretty awesome stories.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/5/3 ... ly-victory

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/5/3 ... -grandkids

Yossarian

Re: Jay Don Blake

Post by Yossarian » June 1st, 2020, 4:27 pm

I remember hearing the legend of Jay Don Blake (or Jay Donblake, or Joe Don Baker) as a kid. I heard the name, but didn't realize the significance. I did hear and know the name, though. The most impressive part of it was he won the NCAA individual medalist title in wranglers and a polo shirt.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
sstrasser

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 1st, 2020, 5:45 pm

I had also heard the name and knew that he was a Utah native. (Even a USU graduate.) I follow golf from a distance so that part wasn't a surprise, but I didn't know he had won the individual title. We only have a few National Championships, team or individual, so that is a cool story for a sportless world.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
sstrasser

GUS

Post by GUS » June 1st, 2020, 7:03 pm

If I remember right, he won the title his junior season and then was one stroke off from winning it again his senior season.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 1st, 2020, 7:47 pm

GUS wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 7:03 pm
If I remember right, he won the title his junior season and then was one stroke off from winning it again his senior season.
That's awesome. I wonder if there are any other National Champions since then in the individual sports. We only have track, XC, tennis, gymnastics, and golf that have individual athletes so probably not. (Unless I am forgetting something which is entirely possible.)

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 1st, 2020, 8:44 pm

I brought this up with a former USU golfer who posts here. He said this dude is a huge Byu booster and doesn't really care for usu at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » June 2nd, 2020, 1:35 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 8:44 pm
I brought this up with a former USU golfer who posts here. He said this dude is a huge Byu booster and doesn't really care for usu at all.

:cry: sad, he may have been a fan, but didn't have the grades to get in. the article sounded like their team was all that so they probably didn't give him the time of day.

He is in the USU Hall of Fame, inducted in 1995.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » June 4th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Attended during those years. Too bad f-ball and even b-ball did not reach those heights. I think we had maybe a champion wrestler, or at least good team then also.

BobWilson
Has thanked: 0

Post by BobWilson » June 25th, 2020, 9:14 pm

I've heard some speculate that he never really recovered psychologically from losing the NCAA as a Sr - he led for most of the tournament- and this carried over to his pro-career making him rather a journeyman on the tour. He was/is a big BYU fan and supports/ed their golf team with $$, I understand.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic