When will the Oakland A's move from Oakland?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
SLB

When will the Oakland A's move from Oakland?

Post by SLB » April 8th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Why not move to Las Vegas, Sacramento, Portland, Salt Lake, or Boise?
Larger markets there than Oakland
Why stay in Oakland?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: When will the Oakland A's move from Oakland?

Post by ProvoAggie » April 8th, 2020, 7:54 pm

They've tried leaving before but it isn't that easy. In baseball teams have to show that their current market aren't supporting them and other teams have to approve the move. So far they haven't been able to overcome those things. I also don't know if SLC could support an MLB team. Vegas might not be bad.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 8th, 2020, 8:26 pm

SLB wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:58 pm
Why stay in Oakland?
Those aren't larger markets.

They've threatened Las Vegas, which would be cool.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 8th, 2020, 9:17 pm

SLB wrote:
Why stay in Oakland?
None of those is a larger market than Oakland.

I am an Orioles fan but live in the television market of the A's and Giants. Baltimore's attendance is doing during their current re-build. The new development in the inner harbor that made for a great atmosphere in the neighborhood when Camden Yards was built is going downhill fast. The Nationals success and proximity has taken the wealthier fans in these neighborhoods in southern Maryland. I worry that Baltimore may lose the Orioles. Nashville would really line a team and that would be a great city for a major league team.

I don't think the A's or the Orioles are going anywhere anytime soon.

On the other hand.... maybe this virus scares will shut down sports altogether.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 9th, 2020, 8:28 am

Yossarian wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 9:17 pm
SLB wrote:
Why stay in Oakland?

I am an Orioles fan but live in the television market of the A's and Giants. Baltimore's attendance is doing during their current re-build. The new development in the inner harbor that made for a great atmosphere in the neighborhood when Camden Yards was built is going downhill fast. The Nationals success and proximity has taken the wealthier fans in these neighborhoods in southern Maryland. I worry that Baltimore may lose the Orioles. Nashville would really line a team and that would be a great city for a major league team.

Raiders and Warriors left Oakland.
It is odd that the A's haven't left Oakland, and the Bay Area is shrinking fast in who could go to a sporting event. I know that my parents had to repeatedly convince California that they move to Utah for 5 years, so I bet the data of how many people are really there is misleading.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 9th, 2020, 1:27 pm

SLB wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 8:28 am
Yossarian wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 9:17 pm
SLB wrote:
Why stay in Oakland?

Raiders and Warriors left Oakland.
It is odd that the A's haven't left Oakland, and the Bay Area is shrinking fast in who could go to a sporting event. I know that my parents had to repeatedly convince California that they move to Utah for 5 years, so I bet the data of how many people are really there is misleading.
https://www.bisnow.com/oakland/news/mix ... and-102854

The A's are looking to construct a new ballpark in downtown Oakland. This will be better for the people that live in Oakland, but worse for those that commute from outside the city to see games. The O.Co is easily accessible where it sits right now. I guess we'll see how this turns out.

This is part of a larger overall re-development master plan in the downtown Oakland area. It may turn out like Baltimore - you put a shine on a new penny, but eventually it's true colors shine through. High crime, plummeting property values, aging infrastructure, and people move out.

And I wouldn't say the Bay Area is "shrinking fast".

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 9th, 2020, 2:36 pm

Bay area shrinking? LOLZ uh hu

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

bpd
Has thanked: 0

Post by bpd » April 9th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Baseball from SLC is about 6-7 hours away in Denver. How many make the short drive (Wyoming, I know) to come to Rockies games?
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
Jjoey52

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » April 9th, 2020, 10:21 pm

I used to go to a few A’s games when I lived in Sacramento. The stadium is a dump ( sewage back up locker rooms), towards the end I would only go to day games as to go at night was life risking, but the team always had a chip on their shoulder and hustled. The attendance was usually very sparse, but the place had character. I hope they get their new stadium because if they do and Beane stays as GM on a level field, they could be tougher than ever.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » April 9th, 2020, 10:24 pm

bpd wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 5:58 pm
Baseball from SLC is about 6-7 hours away in Denver. How many make the short drive (Wyoming, I know) to come to Rockies games?
I have driven over from Logan, but decided no more until they can get a decent team, which would require a new GM, as boy wonder Bridich has no idea.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

SLB

Post by SLB » April 10th, 2020, 12:19 am

Jjoey52 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 10:21 pm
I used to go to a few A’s games when I lived in Sacramento. The stadium is a dump ( sewage back up locker rooms), towards the end I would only go to day games as to go at night was life risking, but the team always had a chip on their shoulder and hustled. The attendance was usually very sparse, but the place had character. I hope they get their new stadium because if they do and Beane stays as GM on a level field, they could be tougher than ever.
I lived in West Sacramento and Camino years ago. I have been to that Stadium, and it is terrible. I don't understand why they stay and build a better stadium somewhere else. Boise is underrated since it is nice spot to have baseball, and the A's would the team of the whole area. I bet that it can be like the Oklahoma City Thunder. Utah, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Northern California, Oregon, Western Wyoming, and Eastern Washington would be the whole market.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 16th, 2020, 5:55 pm

If I were a betting man, I’d say the Rays leave sometime around 2028-2031.

That team struggles to gain any support. Maybe if they build a new stadium they stay/ but no one goes to games.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 16th, 2020, 11:28 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 5:55 pm

That team struggles to gain any support. Maybe if they build a new stadium they stay/ but no one goes to games.
Tampa Bay has a special deal with Montreal, so it has been rumor that Tampa Bay might move to Montreal.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » April 20th, 2020, 10:37 pm

SLB wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 11:28 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

Tampa Bay has a special deal with Montreal, so it has been rumor that Tampa Bay might move to Montreal.
I'd love to see baseball back in Montreal. I drove up from NH a few times to see the Expos and always had fun. Olympic Stadium was a terrible ballpark, but Montreal is a great city and hearing baseball PAs in French is quite interesting.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 21st, 2020, 1:50 am

SLB wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 11:28 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

I had heard talk at one time of that franchise playing half of their home games in Tampa Bay and half in Montreal. That seemed like a nightmare.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » April 22nd, 2020, 11:52 am

The population in the Bay Area is about equal to the total population in the states of Idaho, Nevada and Utah combined.

If half the population of the bay area did leave, there would still be more people here than in any of the markets proposed in the OP

Love the A's but like we saw with the Raiders, the days of a City or County putting up the money for a stadium in the Bay Area are over. No City money is available and the vast majority of people decided that they won't use their $ on a stadium for a billion dollar private business to operate. The freaking A's owner (John Fisher) has a $100,000,000 art collection, and we're supposed to pay his construction expenses?

“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 22nd, 2020, 2:30 pm

El Sapo wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 11:52 am
The population in the Bay Area is about equal to the total population in the states of Idaho, Nevada and Utah combined.

If half the population of the bay area did leave, there would still be more people here than in any of the markets proposed in the OP

Love the A's but like we saw with the Raiders, the days of a City or County putting up the money for a stadium in the Bay Area are over. No City money is available and the vast majority of people decided that they won't use their $ on a stadium for a billion dollar private business to operate. The freaking A's owner (John Fisher) has a $100,000,000 art collection, and we're supposed to pay his construction expenses?
Do you like the proposed location for a new stadium near Jack London Square in Oakland?

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » April 22nd, 2020, 3:05 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 2:30 pm
El Sapo wrote:

Do you like the proposed location for a new stadium near Jack London Square in Oakland?
Yes, Howard Terminal is what I think they call that site. It has some issues, but if they really want to build there they could get it done. The A's should be able to buy the whole coliseum site. That would be the logical choice. Do you come down for any games?

“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 22nd, 2020, 7:37 pm

El Sapo wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 3:05 pm
Yossarian wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 2:30 pm
El Sapo wrote:

Yes, Howard Terminal is what I think they call that site. It has some issues, but if they really want to build there they could get it done. The A's should be able to buy the whole coliseum site. That would be the logical choice. Do you come down for any games?
I make it down on occasion. I usually come when Baltimore is in town on a weekend for a day game. I'm not a big fan of that area at 11:00 p.m. after a night ball game. I'll do the same thing for Giants games but Baltimore doesn't play there much. I prefer going to Giants games but the O.Co is so easy to get in and out of.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » June 11th, 2020, 2:54 pm

bpd wrote:
I live down here and hit about 5 - 6 Rockies games a year (under normal circumstances). I have access to very good Rockies tickets if I speak up early enough. Let me know if any of you are coming down for a game; I'd love to make something happen.

The Rocky Mountain Chapter of the USU Alumni Association was working with the Rockies to get an official Aggie night put together before COVID-19. CSU did something similar a few years ago: https://www.mlb.com/rockies/tickets/spe ... university

I'm not sure if there'd be any interest from Utah-based Aggie baseball fans if we got that put together (it's looking like 2021).

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

bpd

Post by bpd » June 12th, 2020, 4:20 pm

918AGG wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 2:54 pm
bpd wrote:
I live down here and hit about 5 - 6 Rockies games a year (under normal circumstances). I have access to very good Rockies tickets if I speak up early enough. Let me know if any of you are coming down for a game; I'd love to make something happen.

The Rocky Mountain Chapter of the USU Alumni Association was working with the Rockies to get an official Aggie night put together before COVID-19. CSU did something similar a few years ago: https://www.mlb.com/rockies/tickets/spe ... university

I'm not sure if there'd be any interest from Utah-based Aggie baseball fans if we got that put together (it's looking like 2021).
I live in Loveland and would do this, so count me in. U of Wyoming does it as well.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
918AGG

troutputz

Post by troutputz » June 12th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Bbd, I lived in Loveland in 1977 to 1979. Does half the people in Loveland still work at Hulet Packard? Also water pick is close by. So is Kodak and in Longmont IBM. I used to go to Colorado Buffs football and CSU rams basketball.
I was in charge of Valentines party at the Loveland LDS 2nd Ward. Man o man Valentines in Loveland is bigger than Thanksgiving or Christmas! I mean how many LDS Wards do you know that I was expected to have it catered, with Prime Rib as the main entre. Plus we hired a Disc Jockey and his music for the dance afterward!
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post:
918AGG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic