Finkbeiner out as women's basketball coach

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Women's Hoops

Post by aggies22 » November 25th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Jerry Finkbeiner has chosen to step down.

GUS

Re: Women's Hoops

Post by GUS » November 25th, 2019, 2:04 pm

That may be a good thing. Don't think his teams would ever be more than mediocre.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
LKGates

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » November 25th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Health issues, from what I understand. Wish him the best in his recovery.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 25th, 2019, 4:42 pm

We need to send his son packing at the end of this season as well.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
NavyBlueLKGates

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » November 25th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Maybe we start keeping our good players for more than one season now

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 25th, 2019, 5:19 pm

ViAggie wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 4:42 pm
When a coach resigns, the assistants are always sent packing. It's up to the new coach to not retain him.

LKGates

Finkbeiner out as women's basketball coach

Post by LKGates » November 26th, 2019, 12:48 am

… immediately. His son will be the interim head coach for the remainder of the season. I hope this is the beginning of much needed upgrades in several of the non-revenue sports.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
USU78

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

GordoAggie

Re: Finkbeiner out as women's basketball coach

Post by GordoAggie » November 26th, 2019, 7:16 am

Yes.
Maybe we will stop losing our best players every season......

Agalicious
Has thanked: 0

Post by Agalicious » November 26th, 2019, 9:00 am

Hopefully, Hartwell will make a clean break with this entire staff. I believe the ASSociate head coach is a big part of why we lose our best players every year.
These users thanked the author Agalicious for the post:
LKGates

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 26th, 2019, 9:03 am

100% clean slate needed badly. Fink was a bad hire from the get go.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
LKGates

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » November 26th, 2019, 12:10 pm

No clue what the hell everyone has against Fink1 and Fink2. Esp. Fink2 gets a bad rap on here. But Fink2 is qualified to be in his position. (I don't see any squawking about GA hiring his son as a coach.) Fink1 has done some good things here. Lawdy its got to be hard to run a non-revenue sports program in Logan. Softball has been REALLY down for years...haven't seen anyone trashing that coaching staff?

You all (?) seem to be basing your opinions of them based on rumors and hearsay?? Yes, I know them personally...do you? They have both lived in my (general) neighborhood the last several years. They have the team at their house ALL THE TIME. If the girls hated them so much, then why would they hang out at their home? They are good men. If you want to criticize on the court performance, fine. Just don't drag a man's name through the mud based on rumor and innuendo, or because he doesn't have the same social/political stances as you.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » November 26th, 2019, 12:13 pm

posted this in the other thread in the other forum, but needs to be said here too:

Not sure what your issue is with these guys? But I know them personally and they are good men. If you want to criticize on the court performance, fine. Just don't drag a man's name through the mud based on rumor and innuendo, or because he doesn't have the same social/political stances as you.

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » November 26th, 2019, 12:16 pm

ViAggie wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 4:42 pm
Agreed.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 26th, 2019, 12:29 pm

I'm sure they're great people. I don't see anyone dragging their names through the mud and I don't see anything about social/political stances in here... Did I miss something?

The results on the court have been severely lacking, so it is time to move on. It was kind of weird they didn't write it in the press release but Fink had an overall record of 96-124 while at Utah State (leading into this year). They are 2-3 so far this year, about to be 2-4 after this morning's game at BYU (trailing big int he second half).

It can't be surprising he's being let go.

Duryea was a great guy too. Doesn't mean you can't talk about facts like losing games.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
LKGates

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » November 26th, 2019, 12:51 pm

treesap32 wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 12:29 pm
I'm sure they're great people. I don't see anyone dragging their names through the mud and I don't see anything about social/political stances in here... Did I miss something?

The results on the court have been severely lacking, so it is time to move on. It was kind of weird they didn't write it in the press release but Fink had an overall record of 96-124 while at Utah State (leading into this year). They are 2-3 so far this year, about to be 2-4 after this morning's game at BYU (trailing big int he second half).

It can't be surprising he's being let go.

Duryea was a great guy too. Doesn't mean you can't talk about facts like losing games.
you're right...there haven't been any explicit statements to that effect in this thread. but if you haven't noticed the animosity towards the WBB coaching staff that is unrelated to the WBB record, you just haven't been paying attention...

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 26th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Shouldn't we merge this thread with the LKGates thread on the "other" sports board, mods?
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
LKGates

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Agalicious

Post by Agalicious » November 26th, 2019, 1:07 pm

These two are 30 games below 500 and we paid them well over a million dollars.. Time to move on. Was he forced out?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 26th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Done.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
USU78

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » November 26th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Agalicious wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 1:07 pm
These two are 30 games below 500 and we paid them well over a million dollars.. Time to move on. Was he forced out?
Forced out by his health, from what I have heard.

GUS

Post by GUS » November 26th, 2019, 1:30 pm

It's pretty well known that he ran off a couple of players because they were gay. My guess is that to be successful in women's basketball, that you will have to deal with a few lgtbq people.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
LKGates

LKGates

Post by LKGates » November 26th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Reagan Pebley took over the program and started from scratch. There hadn't been a women's basketball team for 15 years. Her first year, not surprisingly, they went 5 - 22. By her 9th year, the team went 21 - 10 in a stronger league (we'd moved from the Big West to the WAC), and went to the WNIT for the second year in a row. In contrast, Finkbeiner, her immediate successor, took over a team on the rise, and went... nowhere. He has a record of 96 - 124 at Utah State.

I don't give a rat's backside about a coach's personal political or religious views, unless they have a negative impact on the team. As long as they treat the kids decently and win, I don't care if they sacrifice chickens to Jobu in their basement during the week.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 5):
BustaMcNuttUSU78NavyBlueBleedAggieBlue0oleblu111

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 26th, 2019, 2:30 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 12:10 pm
No clue what the hell everyone has against Fink1 and Fink2. Esp. Fink2 gets a bad rap on here. But Fink2 is qualified to be in his position. (I don't see any squawking about GA hiring his son as a coach.) Fink1 has done some good things here. Lawdy its got to be hard to run a non-revenue sports program in Logan. Softball has been REALLY down for years...haven't seen anyone trashing that coaching staff?

You all (?) seem to be basing your opinions of them based on rumors and hearsay?? Yes, I know them personally...do you? They have both lived in my (general) neighborhood the last several years. They have the team at their house ALL THE TIME. If the girls hated them so much, then why would they hang out at their home? They are good men. If you want to criticize on the court performance, fine. Just don't drag a man's name through the mud based on rumor and innuendo, or because he doesn't have the same social/political stances as you.
Gary hired his kid as Director of Player Personnel which does not count towards the NCAA limit of on-field and off-campus recruiting coaches.

"Fink 2" is the associate head coach. If Gary gave Keegan Frank Maile's job, then you would have a good comparison.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
BleedAggieBlue0

Agalicious

Post by Agalicious » November 26th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Don’t forget about the horrific graduation rates..... Besides a winning percentage of well below 500, his graduation rate is even more disappointing.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 26th, 2019, 2:40 pm

I think coach Fink's religious views were a detriment to the team, he ran off a lot of players with his nonsense religious bias, that's not just a rumor.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 26th, 2019, 2:48 pm

My issue is his insistence to play in an empty spectrum over a packed Estes Center.

And I’ve known some really nice people who are bad at their jobs.

And fire matt wells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 2):
Blue42BustaMcNutt

Hail Aggies!

stang

Post by stang » November 26th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
ShowMeAggie wrote:

Gary hired his kid as Director of Player Personnel which does not count towards the NCAA limit of on-field and off-campus recruiting coaches.

"Fink 2" is the associate head coach. If Gary gave Keegan Frank Maile's job, then you would have a good comparison.
That’s not quite fair. The difference is that Ben has been a coach for many years and we actually hired him away from a successful Boise State program to hold the same position, from which he was promoted in due time.

I agree that it’s past time to make a change and clean house. But Ben is well qualified for his position, despite the lazy narrative that he rode his dad’s coattail.

stang

Post by stang » November 26th, 2019, 3:27 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:My issue is his insistence to play in an empty spectrum over a packed Estes Center.

And fire matt wells.

From my understanding, nobody within the women’s basketball program has a ton of say in that. They built the Estes Center with only one locker room and its dimensions are insufficient to hold a basketball game.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 26th, 2019, 5:56 pm

stang wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 3:25 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
ShowMeAggie wrote:

That’s not quite fair. The difference is that Ben has been a coach for many years and we actually hired him away from a successful Boise State program to hold the same position, from which he was promoted in due time.

I agree that it’s past time to make a change and clean house. But Ben is well qualified for his position, despite the lazy narrative that he rode his dad’s coattail.
His qualification isn't the issue it is the comparison to Keegan. Keegan was hired to a relatively unimportant position. Hire your child/sibling/parent to a critical position in an organization and expect criticism if things don't go well.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
BleedAggieBlue0

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 26th, 2019, 7:02 pm

stang wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:My issue is his insistence to play in an empty spectrum over a packed Estes Center.

And fire matt wells.

From my understanding, nobody within the women’s basketball program has a ton of say in that. They built the Estes Center with only one locker room and its dimensions are insufficient to hold a basketball game.
I could have sworn I remembered reading it, but looking up the original press release he says practice only. Takes a big man to admit when he’s wrong.

Not as bad as Univ of Alaska Anchorage building a 5k seat on campus arena and not putting ice in it for the schools d1 sport.

Hail Aggies!

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » November 27th, 2019, 8:40 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 7:02 pm
stang wrote:

And fire matt wells.

I could have sworn I remembered reading it, but looking up the original press release he says practice only. Takes a big man to admit when he’s wrong.

Not as bad as Univ of Alaska Anchorage building a 5k seat on campus arena and not putting ice in it for the schools d1 sport.

The locker room issue is real. I heard from decently high up in the AD that the court dimensions are okay to hold a game though. I’m not sure if the new coach will have a say in this or not, but it sounds like the AD is open to playing the women’s games there if they can address the locker room issues.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 27th, 2019, 10:50 am

Blue42 wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 8:40 am
TheAKAggie wrote:
stang wrote:

And fire matt wells.

The locker room issue is real. I heard from decently high up in the AD that the court dimensions are okay to hold a game though. I’m not sure if the new coach will have a say in this or not, but it sounds like the AD is open to playing the women’s games there if they can address the locker room issues.
It hosts volleyball games just fine. Our basketball girls could just use our volleyball girls locker room. And if we get by putting visiting volleyball teams in the room we put them in, I con't see why we can't put visiting women's basketball teams in the same room.

stang

Post by stang » November 27th, 2019, 1:26 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
Blue42 wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 8:40 am
TheAKAggie wrote:
stang wrote:

And fire matt wells.

It hosts volleyball games just fine. Our basketball girls could just use our volleyball girls locker room. And if we get by putting visiting volleyball teams in the room we put them in, I con't see why we can't put visiting women's basketball teams in the same room.
I frankly don’t know much more on the issue other than that I’ve been told it’s not the decision of the team.

It’s also very uncommon for a women’s team to play in a different venue than the men’s team regardless. UNLV is the only MW team that does that (and the only team I can think of period) and it’s because they have that ridiculous basketball complex.

Locked Previous topicNext topic