World Series

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

World Series

Post by sam tingey » October 21st, 2019, 10:01 am

I know the topic of baseball is not highly regarded in these parts but I still was wondering what people's takes are on this yea's WS. I was so happy when the Dodgers and Braves went out. Super happy when the Yanks failed. i am happy either way with the Astros or the Nationals. I am a NL guy so I think I want the Nats a little more and it will be fun for them to win it after going away from Harper. Again, i am happy if the Stros win it too. i have always liked them.

Maybe next year SF can put together a competitive team

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: World Series

Post by ProvoAggie » October 21st, 2019, 10:07 am

I could go either way this year. I'm an AL guy so I'd normally pull for the Astros but it would also be fun to see the Nats win right after Bryce Harper left town.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 21st, 2019, 10:35 am

Astros in 6, just too many horses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 21st, 2019, 1:21 pm

I missed most of the boredom of the USU vs. UNR game by watching Game 6 of the Astros vs. Yankees. That ninth inning was a gem.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 21st, 2019, 6:01 pm

NVAggie wrote:I missed most of the boredom of the USU vs. UNR game by watching Game 6 of the Astros vs. Yankees. That ninth inning was a gem.
Chapman’s look was priceless.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 22nd, 2019, 8:37 am

There are two ways to approach viewing this World Series:

1. Root for the Astros
2. The incorrect way
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
thegreendalegelf

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

World Series

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 23rd, 2019, 3:21 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:There are two ways to approach viewing this World Series:

1. Root for the Astros
2. The incorrect way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam tingey

Post by sam tingey » October 23rd, 2019, 5:45 am

Good job Nats on roughing up Cole.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 23rd, 2019, 9:44 am

I'm very excited for my Nats to be WS contenders.

Not that long ago we were by far one of the worst teams in baseball.

There was a time when Ryan Zimmerman and Adam Dunn were given misprinted jerseys and the front read "Natinals"

Our best players used to be Ronnie Belliard and an oft injured Ryan Zimmerman (who was the only really good player for our worst seasons). We had one of the trashiest guys in all of baseball with Nyjer Morgan as well- dude was scum. Our entire offense was hoping Nook Logan could bunt for a hit and then hoping by the time Zim came up Nook would be in scoring position. My first Nationals gear was a Jose Vidro and a Ryan Church t-shirt.

It's exciting to see the team turnaround and grow. Even this season, we had massive turnaround. We were at one point 19-31. I admit, at that point I would have never imagined us being in the playoffs let alone winning a WS game.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 23rd, 2019, 3:39 pm

Huge stros fan here, along with OKAggie. I'm actually headed to Game 3 with OKA before we hit the AFA game.

We both have very kind and understanding spouses.

This stros team is great. I hope that we can turn it around v. Strasburg tonight. Time will tell. I respect the heck out of the Nats and I'm glad that it isn't the Dodgers.

Also - is it fair to posit here that if you don't like baseball, you're clearly not an American, and you're likely a Russian spy?

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

bullshot

Post by bullshot » October 23rd, 2019, 4:38 pm

Just so glad it’s not the Yankees or the Dodgers.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 24th, 2019, 1:09 am

leetttss

goooo

nattssss
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
treesap32

sam tingey

Post by sam tingey » October 24th, 2019, 7:24 am

Will the Astros even win a game? What a beatdown in a wacky 7th inning last night in game 2!
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
ProvoAggie

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 24th, 2019, 9:03 am

sam tingey wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 7:24 am
Will the Astros even win a game? What a beatdown in a wacky 7th inning last night in game 2!
You'd have to think that a 107-win regular season team will find a way to win a single game in the World Series, but damn - the Stros have been dominated in the first two games. :cry:

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 24th, 2019, 9:48 am

The Nats are just hot right now which is more important than how good they were as a team all season. The Cards had won the season series over the Nats but couldn't muster a single win against what is ending up to be one of the most dominant starting rotations in recent post season memory. The Nats could sweep the NLCS and WS.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
ProvoAggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 24th, 2019, 10:07 am

Aglicious wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 9:48 am
The Nats are just hot right now which is more important than how good they were as a team all season. The Cards had won the season series over the Nats but couldn't muster a single win against what is ending up to be one of the most dominant starting rotations in recent post season memory. The Nats could sweep the NLCS and WS.
It is those blue jerseys and the baby shark song!
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
frankiesaysrelax

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 24th, 2019, 1:56 pm

But Bryce Harper..........

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » October 24th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Taking a two win lead on the road certainly stacks the rest of the cards in the Nats’ favor. MLB has really be bringing the post season the last few years.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 24th, 2019, 7:53 pm

I find it kind of poetic that Bryce Harper was allowed to walk and now the team is two wins from the title. It's funny how addition by subtraction works.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 24th, 2019, 11:07 pm

Some people don’t believe that with the USU Basketball team and an unnamed player that transferred to Marquette.
So with that same logic, the Nats would have already won the WS.

Like many others, I fully believe and appreciate team chemistry is important.

These users thanked the author Aggiefan33 for the post:
aggies22

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 24th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Aggiefan33 wrote:Some people don’t believe that with the USU Basketball team and an unnamed player that transferred to Marquette.
So with that same logic, the Nats would have already won the WS.

Like many others, I fully believe and appreciate team chemistry is important.

Imho, that was not the biggest factor for USU. The coaching change was.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 24th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Coaching change was big. I’m not arguing one was bigger. But I also feel that we had more team chemistry without said player.
He is a great athlete and I wish him the best, but I don’t think he was a great fit.

These users thanked the author Aggiefan33 for the post:
aggies22

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 25th, 2019, 6:52 am

I’m not going to speak for the basketball teams chemistry but team chemistry is most important in the MLB. That is something I noticed a while back. It always seems like the team that wins World Series really enjoy playing together the most. . I’m not sure if it is because how long their season is or that baseball is such an orchestrated effort and everyone has to trust each other or what, but the problem is that both teams in World Series usually have good chemistry. I haven’t watched enough this year to make a judgment on either team but other than last at bats home field doesn’t give advantage that other sports do, and if you have amazing closer or you blow team out home field really doesn’t matter. I guess the DH can cone into play in WS though but not that much. So astros definitely still have a chance. It just comes down to pitching match ups now that the top 2 pitchers were beat. I’m a lifetime Sox fan so after 04 I’d never count a team out especially just 2 games down.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 25th, 2019, 7:00 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 7:53 pm
I find it kind of poetic that Bryce Harper was allowed to walk and now the team is two wins from the title. It's funny how addition by subtraction works.
I think this plays in more than people realize. Over paid all stars can hold teams back. I don’t know what type of teammate Harper is but good pitching is worth so much more than one good bat. Whenever teams pay too much for one bat they typically don’t make it to the World Series. I honestly think that is what destroyed the Yankees dynasty.

Think about how many times a game a good batter has a chance to decide the outcome as opposed to a pitcher. 4 at bats versus multiple innings. Unless your name is Big Papi.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
aggies22

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 25th, 2019, 7:45 am

Team chemistry is important in every sport. I believe why it's important in baseball, is because unlike any other sport, you have 9 guys that need to go to the plate by themselves. It doesn't matter if you have 3 guys every other inning get on base with 0 outs followed by 2 guys who cant move the runners forward. This is what Dusty struggled when he was managing the Nats. There was a series where we played the Cubs. They'd walk Bryce, to load the bases for Ryan Zimmerman who would pop out with 2 outs.

In almost every other sport, slight deficiencies by some players can be masked by others. In baseball if someone makes a mistake swinging it kills a scoring chance. If they make an error in the field that's extra bases. Defensively in baseball every player is like a corner, out on an island.

If Trea Turner lets a line drive get by him, the best that could be hoped for is that Juan Soto or Adam Eaton are close enough to the ball to keep it to a double. If David Woodward misses a tackle, there is still a chance that Shaq Bond will be close enough to only give up another couple yards.

In basketball, LeBron would take his team to NBA finals, and then leave- and that same team would turn into one of the worst teams in the league.

In my opinion it's baseball's individual nature that makes team chemistry all the more important.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 4):
frankiesaysrelaxaggies22WAaggieFansam tingey

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 25th, 2019, 7:50 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 7:45 am
Team chemistry is important in every sport. I believe why it's important in baseball, is because unlike any other sport, you have 9 guys that need to go to the plate by themselves. It doesn't matter if you have 3 guys every other inning get on base with 0 outs followed by 2 guys who cant move the runners forward. This is what Dusty struggled when he was managing the Nats. There was a series where we played the Cubs. They'd walk Bryce, to load the bases for Ryan Zimmerman who would pop out with 2 outs.

In almost every other sport, slight deficiencies by some players can be masked by others. In baseball if someone makes a mistake swinging it kills a scoring chance. If they make an error in the field that's extra bases. Defensively in baseball every player is like a corner, out on an island.

If Trea Turner lets a line drive get by him, the best that could be hoped for is that Juan Soto or Adam Eaton are close enough to the ball to keep it to a double. If David Woodward misses a tackle, there is still a chance that Shaq Bond will be close enough to only give up another couple yards.

In basketball, LeBron would take his team to NBA finals, and then leave- and that same team would turn into one of the worst teams in the league.

In my opinion it's baseball's individual nature that makes team chemistry all the more important.
I’ve never really thought about how isolated you are when you are at bat. No relying on a teammate for help puts you on an island. Even in the most individual sport of golf they have their caddies right there.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 25th, 2019, 10:07 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 7:45 am

I’ve never really thought about how isolated you are when you are at bat. No relying on a teammate for help puts you on an island. Even in the most individual sport of golf they have their caddies right there.

Chemistry is important but there are exceptions to that. Remember the swinging A’s. Who won 3 in a row from 1972-1974. They fought each other and the owner Charlie Finley..

Also as a footnote, Finley hired a young. Man of 12 to a VP in the organization by the name of Stanley Burrell. You might know him as MC Hammer. His stage name came from A’s players who said he looked like hammering Hank Aaron.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 25th, 2019, 11:20 am

That was before I was born, but Hammertime was during my prime and was too legit to quit!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 25th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Let's go Nats!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
QuackAttackAggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 25th, 2019, 2:10 pm

treesap32 wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 2:09 pm
Let's go Nats!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
How many Nats games did you go to this year where you weren't cheering for the other team?
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
sam tingey

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 27th, 2019, 9:32 pm

On one hand we lost 3 in a row and our ace is probably out for the series.

On the other hand there were boobs on primetime tv...

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 27th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:On one hand we lost 3 in a row and our ace is probably out for the series.

On the other hand there were boobs on primetime tv...
Been a bunch of boobs on the field for three straight games

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 27th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Astros headed back home with two chances to win it!

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 27th, 2019, 11:51 pm

It ends Tuesday.

These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
YoungBloodAggie

sam tingey

Post by sam tingey » October 28th, 2019, 7:34 am

I would love it if the Nats won it all and the road team won every game in the World Series. That would be incredible and something so like baseball.

Locked Previous topicNext topic