Re: What do you think of this?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » June 15th, 2019, 10:56 am

Florida law allows athletic departments in that state to organize as DSO's or Direct Support Organizations. An explanation of what that might mean can be read here: https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... ium=social

For me, the explanation of the structure of athletic department as DSO raises more questions than that article answered.
Since the DSO is a quasi-profit organization and operates under different rules than the associated university, does that mean that the athletes now become employees of the DSO? If so, does that resolve the issue about whether athletes should be paid, and do we thus abandon what little pretext remains about athletes (particularly in football and men's basketball) being students? What remains, if anything, of the ability of the NCAA to establish and enforce any rule? I don't see anything in the article about that, and have to wonder if, once the athletic department becomes the Florida State University Athletic Association, that association could simply refuse to enter into any agreement with the NCAA about anything. Noting that Florida and Central Florida have already created DSOs from their athletic departments, will it be possible for those schools to get into bidding wars to attract recruits? Yeah, I know, that already goes on at times and to some extent, but under the new DSO model it could be right out in the open. If other schools, those few with the big dollar booster organizations (which, obviously, does not include USU) want to be able to compete for "recruits", will we see the law in other states changed to allow
similar structuring of athletic departments? I don't know, but I have to wonder how many schools, even in the P5 conferences, have the level of booster support it would take to compete in that arena. Has the Rubicon been crossed? Will we see the creation, out of teams (perhaps not all) from the P5 conferences creating a professional development league for the NFL, perhaps create a "draft" system like the NFL and take the 3-5 star recruits from the high schools and leave the rest of us not even the crumbs we can play for now?

Anybody have any additional thoughts?

shortdogisshort
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Re: What do you think of this?

Post by shortdogisshort » August 20th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Not allowing student athletes to work seems so un-American to me. Not only can't they film commercials and the like, but the times they're allowed to work at all and their work hours are limited as well. Isn't America all about hard work?

Jeffrey Nadrich
Last edited by shortdogisshort on September 3rd, 2019, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » August 20th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Student athletes should not be paid. They’re already getting SOOO many things handed to them that they already are basically being paid.

They should be allowed to find work and earn money using their likeness or whatever.

I wouldn’t be surprised if all athletic departments eventually disassociate themselves from their universities in terms of the athletes attending school and run it like a semi-pro team, but maintain the affiliation with the university and use the names, logos, etc. Isn’t that what a bunch of pro soccer teams in Mexico already do?

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

deneengspencer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by deneengspencer » August 21st, 2019, 1:35 am

Not paying student athletes is such a sham, how can you rake in millions without giving a dime... the audacity of these people....

Full

Post by Full » August 21st, 2019, 9:56 am

deneengspencer wrote:Not paying student athletes is such a sham, how can you rake in millions without giving a dime... the audacity of these people....
https://reporting.auditor.utah.gov/serv ... 003l7USQAY

The University sees higher donations across all areas and the coaches live well. However, your premise that the University makes millions and the players never see a dime is incorrect. The players get scholarship, meals, housing, and cost of living stipends. Most students taking classes pay a some theses expenses included in their tuition.

The problem is not USU raking in millions, it’s that Alabama and Texas raking in millions and due to competitive balance want the appearance of a level playing field with other FBS teams.

Locked Previous topicNext topic