Byu fans are delusional

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
slcagg

Byu fans are delusional

Post by slcagg » July 29th, 2018, 7:12 am

So I guess jimmer is part of some tournament and has scored quite well. No idea the talent level etc and really don't care. But there are some fun comments in this twitter exchange. One guy really said he likes watching jimmer as much as bird and Jordan. And I think he is serious. Pure gold I'm telling ya.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Byu fans are delusional

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 29th, 2018, 9:13 am

This is a thread that should go in the General Sports forum.

It doesn't surprise me that a byu fan would say they enjoy watching jimmer more than great nba players. They are byu fans. Saying he is comparable to them in any way is another matter. Saying he is comparable to even average current nba players would also be stupid. Good for him for finding success in China, but he is not an nba player.

Hoopsnut
Has thanked: 0

Post by Hoopsnut » July 29th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Not a huge Jimmer fan, but he belongs in the NBA. I know....... he’s a BYU guy, but he’s just out there ballin against NBA caliber talent. He’s a pure shooter and has improved his defense.

He’s probably not going to get another chance, but the guy is a player. The games are fun to watch.

stang

Post by stang » July 29th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Hoopsnut wrote:Not a huge Jimmer fan, but he belongs in the NBA. I know....... he’s a BYU guy, but he’s just out there ballin against NBA caliber talent. He’s a pure shooter and has improved his defense.

He’s probably not going to get another chance, but the guy is a player. The games are fun to watch.
He’s absolutely not an NBA talent. He’s out there balling against glorified summer league squads, there are very few actual NBA-caliber talents in that tournament. He is a very good basketball player who is built to dominate overseas and in tournaments like this, but at 6’1 he does not have the right skillset to play in the NBA.

If he belongs in the NBA, don’t you think he would have been able to stick with at least ONE of the six teams he spent time with? At least in a bench role? Especially after getting a shot with probably the best developmental team in the Spurs?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 29th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Jimmer got a legitimate shot and couldn't stick. Guys like Mitchell and LilIard are light years beyond Jimmer. They are not claiming Jimmer belongs on an NBA roster, they are claiming he would be a star if only given the chance.

I don't get what the fuss is all about, and what is the point of this tournament? So he dropped 40 in a bunch of NBA wash outs and G-leaguers- so what. Morris Almond dropped 50 and I don't hear much clamoring for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 29th, 2018, 4:52 pm

stang wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 3:53 pm
Hoopsnut wrote:Not a huge Jimmer fan, but he belongs in the NBA. I know....... he’s a BYU guy, but he’s just out there ballin against NBA caliber talent. He’s a pure shooter and has improved his defense.

He’s absolutely not an NBA talent. He’s out there balling against glorified summer league squads, there are very few actual NBA-caliber talents in that tournament. He is a very good basketball player who is built to dominate overseas and in tournaments like this, but at 6’1 he does not have the right skillset to play in the NBA.

If he belongs in the NBA, don’t you think he would have been able to stick with at least ONE of the six teams he spent time with? At least in a bench role? Especially after getting a shot with probably the best developmental team in the Spurs?
Well said.

He got numerous chances. byu fans act like a coach or two had some grudge against him. He played for several teams and several coaches including the best coach of this era in the NBA in Greg Popovich who cut him before the regular season. He also played for Thibbs in Chicago and got zero minutes in the playoffs. He had his shot.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 29th, 2018, 4:54 pm

dyedblue wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 3:57 pm
Jimmer got a legitimate shot and couldn't stick. Guys like Mitchell and LilIard are light years beyond Jimmer. They are not claiming Jimmer belongs on an NBA roster, they are claiming he would be a star if only given the chance.

That is what is so funny. If a byu fan wants to argue that jimmer belongs in the nba, ok. I'll disagree with him because he got numerous chances and couldn't stick, but I get it. Arguing jimmer is on the level of Mitchell or Lillard is just stupid. Both of those guys were immediate impact guys. One is a superstar and the other is on his way there.

ususports

Post by ususports » July 29th, 2018, 5:25 pm

I am curious why the BYU content police have not posted in this thread telling us what can and cannot be discussed on this board.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » July 29th, 2018, 7:35 pm

He has been on like 4 or 5 different NBA teams and never stuck.

He has to have the ball in his hand constantly to be an effective scorer and plays no defense. If he had turned into a spot up shooter he probably could have had a career but he didn't. I am not surprised he is scoring in bunches in TBT. But he is not an NBA talent.

I don't blame BYU fans for enjoying watching him play. If Jaycee Carroll was in this tournament, we would all be thrilled, but I doubt any of us would be saying he should be starting the NBA or anything.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » July 29th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 4:54 pm
dyedblue wrote:

That is what is so funny. If a byu fan wants to argue that jimmer belongs in the nba, ok. I'll disagree with him because he got numerous chances and couldn't stick, but I get it. Arguing jimmer is on the level of Mitchell or Lillard is just stupid. Both of those guys were immediate impact guys. One is a superstar and the other is on his way there.
Mitchell is 100% a superstar this very second in my mind. Guys who do what he did in the playoffs are superstars.

Byuaggie
Troll

Post by Byuaggie » July 29th, 2018, 9:13 pm

He definitely is not an NBA talent. His shot is probably good enough, but he lacks the athleticism to compete in the NBA. Like others have said he is a dominant overseas player because the players aren't as athletically gifted, but he isn't an NBA level athlete. He's sure fun to watch though both now and when he was in college!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » July 29th, 2018, 11:07 pm

I would dare say he's not even a proven over seas player either. He's not playing in a top league, he's playing in China where competition is fairly low when compared to many of the Euroleagues.

This tourney is not all that different than his college hype with BYU fans clamoring about his shooting prowess but upon closer inspection he's was a pretty pedestrian shooter by the percentages. When you huck up 25+ shots a game you tend to have a lot of your team's points.

Byuaggie
Troll

Post by Byuaggie » July 30th, 2018, 3:57 am

Not to totally disagree with you because I agree that the Chinese league is not all that great (although if you paid me the amount he is making plus his endorsements I'd play in the Moon is I had to) but his stats weren't that bad in college. He shot just under 40% from 3, just under 90% from the free throw line, and a little over 45% overall. Not the greatest stats of all time but I'd say that's definitely better than "pedestrian". And again, very entertaining to watch play.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 30th, 2018, 4:29 pm

What kind of narcissist name is "Team Fredette?" And is that girl-french for the name Fred?

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » July 30th, 2018, 8:54 pm

NBA=Anti-Mormon

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » July 30th, 2018, 10:40 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 8:54 pm
NBA=Anti-Mormon

You have to play on Sunday, you know?

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 31st, 2018, 7:49 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 7:36 pm
dyedblue wrote:

Mitchell is 100% a superstar this very second in my mind. Guys who do what he did in the playoffs are superstars.
Not yet. He almost certainly will be, but you got to dominate the nba for several seasons before being considered a superstar.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 1st, 2018, 1:58 am

July 31st, 2018, 7:49 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Not yet. He almost certainly will be, but you got to dominate the nba for several seasons before being considered a superstar.
Nah. He was the best player in a playoff series that had Westbrook and Paul George. I see your point but I disagree.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 1st, 2018, 7:10 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 1:58 am
July 31st, 2018, 7:49 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Nah. He was the best player in a playoff series that had Westbrook and Paul George. I see your point but I disagree.
Yep agree to disagree. To me there are only a handful of superstars in the nba and you have to have a level of sustained excellence to be included. I absolutely agree he will be there, but got to do it for a few years.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 1st, 2018, 7:20 pm

brownjeans wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 4:29 pm
What kind of narcissist name is "Team Fredette?" And is that girl-french for the name Fred?
On top of being really cringy, it is disrespectful to your teammates to call your team that even if you are the star.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 2nd, 2018, 8:22 am

"star" and "superstar" are 50% popularity and 50% ability. If it weren't so, you wouldn't get players in all-star games who don't deserve to be there (not good enough yet, or not good enough anymore).
I think Mitchell may already be a superstar in popularity. He might even make the all-star team this year - even in the West where he's competing with some guards who will have better stats. I've been blown away with the international interest in Mitchell.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 2nd, 2018, 1:49 pm

Here are Jimmer's numbers thus far in this tournament:

In the Chinese league he has the following:

FG% = .450
3FG% = .413
FT% = .952

Those are good numbers. However, in his various stints in the NBA against NBA-level defenders he had the following numbers:

FG% = .412
3FG% = .381
FT% = .876

Those numbers are pedestrian in the league, and when you combined his atrocious defense and tendency to play me, me, me ball on offense it just didn't make sense to keep him on an NBA squad.

Jimmer is a good player and a good shooter. He's not as good of a shooter as Jaycee Carroll was and is, nor as good of a player. Neither of them play great defense. Neither made it in the NBA. Of the two, I would think Jaycee would be the better fit for the NBA at this point in their careers, but he's making millions over in Europe and winning multiple championships per year on the best team in the best league in the world outside of the NBA. I think he's pretty content. And there is no guarantee he'd see any substantial playing time if he did try to get back to the NBA.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » August 2nd, 2018, 3:54 pm

treesap32 wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 1:49 pm
Here are Jimmer's numbers thus far in this tournament:

In the Chinese league he has the following:

FG% = .450
3FG% = .413
FT% = .952

Those are good numbers. However, in his various stints in the NBA against NBA-level defenders he had the following numbers:

FG% = .412
3FG% = .381
FT% = .876

Those numbers are pedestrian in the league, and when you combined his atrocious defense and tendency to play me, me, me ball on offense it just didn't make sense to keep him on an NBA squad.

Jimmer is a good player and a good shooter. He's not as good of a shooter as Jaycee Carroll was and is, nor as good of a player. Neither of them play great defense. Neither made it in the NBA. Of the two, I would think Jaycee would be the better fit for the NBA at this point in their careers, but he's making millions over in Europe and winning multiple championships per year on the best team in the best league in the world outside of the NBA. I think he's pretty content. And there is no guarantee he'd see any substantial playing time if he did try to get back to the NBA.
One thing to take into account, the China League is many, many steps below the Euro League and the Spanish ACB League that Jaycee plays in — let alone the NBA. Jaycee's team (Real Madrid) won both championships this year.

The notion that Jimmer could translate his scoring in China to an NBA franchise has already been dispelled not one, two, three, or four times but rather at least five times. At this point Jimmer-mania is only for laughs. But they are very big laughs.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 2nd, 2018, 6:13 pm

Bummer... ha not fixing that autocorrect

He can absolutely still play in the NBA. But he would not get very many minutes.

But this is dumb to criticize BYU fans for...

If USU had a team with Jaycee, Quayle, Tai, Pooh, Newbold, Bendall, Jalen Moore, Nate Harris, Gary Wilkinson, Brady Jardine, Medlin and Kyisean every single one of us would be glued to the TBT non stop../

Also that might make a good team

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 2nd, 2018, 8:15 pm

brownjeans wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 8:22 am
"star" and "superstar" are 50% popularity and 50% ability. If it weren't so, you wouldn't get players in all-star games who don't deserve to be there (not good enough yet, or not good enough anymore).
I think Mitchell may already be a superstar in popularity. He might even make the all-star team this year - even in the West where he's competing with some guards who will have better stats. I've been blown away with the international interest in Mitchell.
Yeah he is on his way to being great. I haven't been this excited being a Jazz fan since the 90's. I never truly bought into Dwill and Booze, Hayward, etc. . ., but I completely buy into Mitchell.

However, he isn't there yet. I wouldn't have considered Durant or Lebron "superstars" after their rookie season either. You got to dominate the league for several years to be a superstar.

Locked Previous topicNext topic