Anyone else having issues

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
BeNo

Anyone else having issues

Post by BeNo » February 4th, 2015, 8:33 pm

With KVNU's podcast for USU sports?

AgSpaceCase

Re: Anyone else having issues

Post by AgSpaceCase » February 5th, 2015, 12:02 am

It stopped working for me months ago. The full court press podcast hasn't worked for at least a year too.

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

BeNo

Post by BeNo » February 5th, 2015, 7:04 am

Thank you. That is about the timeframe it failed for me too. Just wanted to make sure if it was them or me and sounds like it is their problem.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 5th, 2015, 5:18 pm

Does the link above under 'Media' then 'Podcasts' and 'KVNU USU Podcasts' work for you? I can play all those podcasts.

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » February 5th, 2015, 6:00 pm

I can go directly to the website and play each one, but the RSS feed that used to be able to automatically load in itunes or anything else is no longer working.

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

BeNo

Post by BeNo » February 5th, 2015, 6:56 pm

Yes. Those work. The subscription via my apple device apps is what isn't working. It fails by subscribing by their website and when I search podcasts it doesn't pop up.

CodingAggieBlue

Post by CodingAggieBlue » February 6th, 2015, 8:16 am

I've had this problem in the past with their For The People podcast. They're usually good about fixing the problem once you let them know about it. Below is an explanation of what is causing this. It would probably be helpful to include this in your request to them.

The RSS feed is basically an XML file on their website. The XML contains a link to the audio file, as well as a description of that episode. Every time a new podcast is available, this XML file is updated. When the app on your phone or computer checks for new podcasts, it looks at the XML file on KVNU's website. If the file has changed, your app downloads the new audio files. The problem is that certain characters in XML have special meaning. One of these characters is the ampersand ( & ) symbol. This means that you can't have an ampersand in the audio file name or in the episode description. If you do have one of these special characters out of place in the XML, it means that the XML reader in your podcasting app won't be able to read the file properly. Some apps will die right there. Some apps will at least download the stuff it read until it encountered the error. The podcast app I use does the latter. I'm surprised to hear that iTunes does the former.

I suspect that KVNU updates their XML files by hand, because an ampersand sneaks in their RSS feeds about every 4-6 months. The USU podcast probably stopped working for you around 10/31/2014 with "Post Game USU Basketball vs Texas A&M International". The Full Court Press podcast probably stopped working for you around 3/19/2013 with "USU womens basketball coach Coach Finkbeiner & senior guard Jenna Johnson". Note, there are several other issues with the FCP XML file so this may take longer to fix.

The contact info listed in the XML file is will@cvradio.com. You can e-mail him and ask him to fix the XML files for the RSS feeds. They usually have everything fixed within a day or two after being notified. However my recommendation would be to switch to a different podcast app, if possible, as this problem will surely occur again in the future. I use CarCast on Android because it connects to my car's bluetooth controls. I'm not sure what alternatives exist for Apple devices, though.

Locked Previous topicNext topic