BYU to the Big 12

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
LKGates

BYU to the Big 12

Post by LKGates » August 29th, 2011, 9:22 am

This is second hand, but reliable. My sister just heard on KSL radio that the Big 12 has extended an invitation to BYU. They wouldn't make it public if they didn't know it was already accepted. I hope our friends from Kansas State and BYU will be very happy together.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: BYU to the Big 12

Post by ProvoAggie » August 29th, 2011, 9:28 am

I've heard from a few people in Provo that have pretty credible sources that they were given an invitation last week that was contingent on aTm leaving the conference and Notre Dame joining in addition to them. Notre Dame's AD this morning said that he has no interest in the Big 12 so I don't know where that puts this whole thing. When aTm does leave the conference is going to have to do something in order to stabilize the conference.

Full

Post by Full » August 29th, 2011, 9:36 am

LKGates wrote:This is second hand, but reliable. My sister just heard on KSL radio that the Big 12 has extended an invitation to BYU. They wouldn't make it public if they didn't know it was already accepted. I hope our friends from Kansas State and BYU will be very happy together.
I listen to the Doug Wright show at work and this hasn't been mentioned in at least the last half hour.... something like this would recieve more airtime on the Zoob network. :headscratch:

MilesDavis

Post by MilesDavis » August 29th, 2011, 9:58 am

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 29th, 2011, 10:10 am

There are two possible scenarios that would make my day.

1. BYU stays independent and they suffer miserable and destroy any and all hope for their football team (1984 was a looooooooong time ago and BYU has been irrelevant nationally since).
2. BYU goes to the Big XII and immediately Texas, OU, OSU, all announce they are off to the PAC-12.

On a more serious note, if they do take the offer that means that BYU has officially pissed on and burned bridges with everyone in the West. MWC hates their guts, WAC hates their guts, PAC-12 has no interest or desire in dealing with BYU.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

MilesDavis

Post by MilesDavis » August 29th, 2011, 10:13 am

My favorite quote from the article from the upset blog:

"BYU is very concerned about the repercussions of leaving the WCC high and dry. So much so, that unless proper care and consideration is taken by the Big12 regarding this issue, BYU may very well turn down an invitation to join the league."

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 29th, 2011, 10:18 am

MilesDavis wrote:My favorite quote from the article from the upset blog:

"BYU is very concerned about the repercussions of leaving the WCC high and dry. So much so, that unless proper care and consideration is taken by the Big12 regarding this issue, BYU may very well turn down an invitation to join the league."
The part that I don't get is what comes after that
The WCC issue should not viewed in a vacuum. As an official representative of the LDS Church, BYU's role must be handled carefully. Church officials are worried about how a sudden move would affect Church credibility.
BYU has already shown that they don't have any problem leaving people "high and dry" with the way that the WAC situation was handled. Why would this be any different? They didn't seem to care how that decision would affect Church credibility but now all of a sudden that is something that they care about?

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » August 29th, 2011, 10:29 am

Give me a break. BYU doesn't give two (I can't express myself without swearing) what happens to the WCC or anyone else for that matter.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

MilesDavis

Post by MilesDavis » August 29th, 2011, 10:31 am

That's what I mean, ProvoAggie. How likely is it that BYU would turn down a BCS league invite, in order to stay true to the WCC? It would appear that upset blog has an inside source, who is being careful to get it out into the press that little ol' BYU would NEVER do such a thing as to trample on an agreement they had made with another school or schools just to further their own ambitions. They have standards to uphold, after all. Yeesh.
Last edited by MilesDavis on August 29th, 2011, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 29th, 2011, 10:32 am

MilesDavis wrote:My favorite quote from the article from the upset blog:

This was the one that stuck out to me as well. Laughable! The other one is that "Church officials are worried about how a sudden move would affect Church credibility"....BAHAHAHAHA since when have they given a rip about that? Nearly everything associated with BYU athletics is wrapped in hypocrisy. They've already helped screw two conferences, what would a third one matter?

The entire angle that BYU chose to take with the move to independence was that their mission is one of a higher calling. They needed to spread the good word and utilize their state of the art equipment to do so. They insisted that this was to help fulfill their mission as a religious institution but in reality they were just trying to escape the mess they made with the formation of the MWC and the MTN. If they abandon their independence for $$$ and the BCS who is really going to be shocked? BYU fans will come up with a new excuse to root for such a slimy program and defend the actions taken. Wait, they won't have to...their blindfolds will continue to serve nicely.

Steve509
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Steve509 » August 29th, 2011, 11:42 am

why would the B-12 be in a hurry to invite BYU? aTm will be playing in the B-12 this season. the B-12 can afford to take some time and send out feelers to several schools. i'm not saying BYU won't get an invite, but i don't understand the rush.

also, from what i've read, first aTm must announce they are leaving the B-12, as they have done. then they must apply to the SEC for membership. then the SEC votes and aTm then announces they are going to the SEC. the SEC wants to be careful and insure that no one can claim they approached aTm.

RivertonAG

Post by RivertonAG » August 29th, 2011, 12:13 pm

The time element may have some urgency. This is only from my minimal understading of what I have read... so take it for what it is worth. There would be urgency because the Big 12 tv contract I believe states that the league has 10 teams or it can be opened and looked at again. I think that Texas A & M is planning on playing in the SEC next season. Therefore, the Big 12 would have incentive to backfill quickly to try to show stability of that league. They don't want Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., etc. sniffing around other options at the risk of the whole thing imploding. If this causes other dominos to start falling, you would want to be at the front end of that, not gathering up the scraps that fall by the way saide. BYU being independent doesn't have to worry about timing of notification of leaving a conference in time to jump into the new league (in football at least). I'm not sure what type of problems they might face with the WCC. This could probably be a very quick transition.

The part I am not buying is that Notre Dame would go with them. I just don't see them doing so. Of course if they are left with their own TV contract somewhat in tact, I guess anything is possible. I'm for movement if it positively impacts USU. If this results in two independents moving in and no positive effect on us, then who cares.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » August 29th, 2011, 12:44 pm

why, oh why, would ND go to the not-so-stabile Big 12, when they've had chance after chance to be in the stabile Big10?

2020 PICK'EM GOOGLE Docs -
BOWLS (pick entry)

WEEK 15 (results)

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 29th, 2011, 1:17 pm

cougarboard has been talking about this all week.

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » August 29th, 2011, 1:58 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:why, oh why, would ND go to the not-so-stabile Big 12, when they've had chance after chance to be in the stabile Big10?
the b-12 would let them keep their network/tv deal.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » August 29th, 2011, 2:34 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:cougarboard has been talking about this all week.
Well, yeah. It's not like we haven't spent weeks talking about a hoped for conference move ourselves.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 29th, 2011, 2:50 pm

I'm almost 100% sure that byu has a "BCS Conference Invite" clause in their deal with WCC. Some of you may remember last year when the WAC/byu contract was "leaked" to the public, in the contract it stated that byu would join and agree to scheduling aliances unless they were invited to a BCS conference. I'm almost positive they inserted the same language into the WCC contract as well. So ya B&M all you want about byu and their backstabbing ways, but you can't say that their attorneys are asleep at the wheel when it comes to this stuff.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

MilesDavis

Post by MilesDavis » August 29th, 2011, 3:36 pm

ViAggie wrote:I'm almost 100% sure that byu has a "BCS Conference Invite" clause in their deal with WCC. Some of you may remember last year when the WAC/byu contract was "leaked" to the public, in the contract it stated that byu would join and agree to scheduling aliances unless they were invited to a BCS conference. I'm almost positive they inserted the same language into the WCC contract as well. So ya B&M all you want about byu and their backstabbing ways, but you can't say that their attorneys are asleep at the wheel when it comes to this stuff.
Hey-- I am quite sure that their lawyers have got them nicely covered. Regarding the B'ing and M'ing about backstabbing, though, when they purposefully leak the following: "BYU is very concerned about the repercussions of leaving the WCC high and dry. So much so, that unless proper care and consideration is taken by the Big12 regarding this issue, BYU may very well turn down an invitation to join the league," they open themselves up to charges of of double dealing.

Blue Away

Post by Blue Away » August 29th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Cauffeee Tawk.....I'll give you a topic: Notre Dame won't go away from their base to the mostly Protestant Big 12. Discuss...

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 29th, 2011, 7:51 pm

MilesDavis wrote:
ViAggie wrote:I'm almost 100% sure that byu has a "BCS Conference Invite" clause in their deal with WCC. Some of you may remember last year when the WAC/byu contract was "leaked" to the public, in the contract it stated that byu would join and agree to scheduling aliances unless they were invited to a BCS conference. I'm almost positive they inserted the same language into the WCC contract as well. So ya B&M all you want about byu and their backstabbing ways, but you can't say that their attorneys are asleep at the wheel when it comes to this stuff.
Hey-- I am quite sure that their lawyers have got them nicely covered. Regarding the B'ing and M'ing about backstabbing, though, when they purposefully leak the following: "BYU is very concerned about the repercussions of leaving the WCC high and dry. So much so, that unless proper care and consideration is taken by the Big12 regarding this issue, BYU may very well turn down an invitation to join the league," they open themselves up to charges of of double dealing.

Uhhhh dude your quote wasn't from Tom Homo(phobic) or anyone at ybu, it was a quote of some byu nerd in front of a computer speculating about what HE/SHE THINKS ybu's response would be. That quote wasn't atributed to any reliable source, groudskeeper Willy doesn't count (I should know, I know/knew GKW).

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » August 29th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Blue Away wrote:Cauffeee Tawk.....I'll give you a topic: Notre Dame won't go away from their base to the mostly Protestant Big 12. Discuss...
Sorry, but this is dumb.

ND will not join the Big12, but it is not due to the fact that they are mostly protestant.

The main reason is that they are not mostly protestant.
Baylor (OK, one protestant)
Texas (not)
Texas Tech (not)
Kansas (not)
Kansas State (not)
Iowa State (not)
Missouri (not)
Oklahoma (not)
Oklahoma State (not)

Secondary Reason:
ND would not join a crumbling Big12. If they were going to jump into a conference it would be the Big10. Religious affiliations have nothing to do with this. There is more money in the 10 than the 12 (Nebraska could not jump quick enough.) They fit very well in the big 10, and if they ever wanted to join a conference it would be that one.

Question:
Why would religion play into this? Do you have friends of business acquaintances that have different religious views than you?

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

MilesDavis

Post by MilesDavis » August 29th, 2011, 8:54 pm

ViAggie wrote:
MilesDavis wrote:

Uhhhh dude your quote wasn't from Tom Homo(phobic) or anyone at ybu, it was a quote of some byu nerd in front of a computer speculating about what HE/SHE THINKS ybu's response would be. That quote wasn't atributed to any reliable source, groudskeeper Willy doesn't count (I should know, I know/knew GKW).

Viaggie, you trusting, trusting guy! You clearly are not as paranoid as I am. I see it as just a small part of the massive spin machine, but we will see. :noidea:

LKGates

Post by LKGates » August 29th, 2011, 9:35 pm

ViAggie wrote:Uhhhh dude your quote wasn't from Tom Homo(phobic) or anyone at ybu, it was a quote of some byu nerd in front of a computer speculating about what HE/SHE THINKS ybu's response would be. That quote wasn't atributed to any reliable source, groudskeeper Willy doesn't count (I should know, I know/knew GKW).
BON JOOOUUURRR, ya' cheese eatin' surrender monkeys!

I'm so excited! Usually when I start a thread, it either gets 12 views and one reply, or I am publicly pilloried. Thanks, guys!

For the record, I'm sticking with my original analysis. KSL wouldn't have put this on the air if there weren't some fire under that smoke; and the Big 12 wouldn't have let anything slip out if it weren't a done deal. Further, I think this means that aTm to the SEC is a done deal.

But then, most of the time I don't know what I'm talking about. Just ask my wife.

Servo

Post by Servo » August 29th, 2011, 10:39 pm

The situation is very, very fluid, of course. And by saying this, I am not implying that this information isn't credible, or merely another speculative piece. Our source has been dutifully accurate over the past two years on many an issue.
First rule of politics: the one who insists the most and boasts loudest about The Truth (tm) and credibility is probably the biggest liar in the bunch. :nono:

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » August 29th, 2011, 11:05 pm

LKGates wrote:
Further, I think this means that aTm to the SEC is a done deal.
I was fine with the recent predictions related to conference realignment.....but predicting a&m to the SEC is starting to get a bit crazy :joking:

LKGates

Post by LKGates » August 29th, 2011, 11:46 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
LKGates wrote:
Further, I think this means that aTm to the SEC is a done deal.
I was fine with the recent predictions related to conference realignment.....but predicting a&m to the SEC is starting to get a bit crazy :joking:
Hey Chowder, look down one thread! The New York Times says aTm is leaving the Big 12! So, where are they going, if not the SEC?

aggiejump

Post by aggiejump » August 30th, 2011, 9:33 am

Must be something to it, Greg Wrubbel has not tweeted in hours on KSLs tweet box. He usually tweets everything BYU from Bronco taking a crap to a bird flying over practice to the b-ball team playing well in Greece but not posting the current score... He must have a gag order, thus no recent tweets. :headscratch:

Book of Armaments, Chapter 2, verses 9-21
...And Saint Attila raised the holy hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin...

Locked Previous topicNext topic