Reports of the demise of the Big 12 premature?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
dogie

Reports of the demise of the Big 12 premature?

Post by dogie » August 13th, 2011, 9:50 pm

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1251531

This article says that the meeting of SEC presidents scheduled for Sunday morning has been canceled. I'm not sure exactly what that means. However, it also says that Silve of the SEC has discussed his expansion plans in detail with only two SEC university presidents. One Big 12 official now estimates that there is less than a 50% chance that Texas A&M will leave. Moreover, everyone is pledging allegiance (at least publicly) to their respective conferences.

Two things are for sure in conference realignment. First, it's unpredictable what university presidents will decide when the actually meet. Second, you can't trust anything that a university or conference official (or an unnamed source) says to the media before decisions have been made. Such statements are either misdirection or just speculation.

I still think that Texas A&M will leave. It's hard to imagine that they would so publicly express their intention to leave the Big 12 without being willing to follow through and having assurance that an invitation would be forthcoming.

Steve509
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reports of the demise of the Big 12 premature?

Post by Steve509 » August 13th, 2011, 10:41 pm

as of tonight @ 10:30 PM, it is still on.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20110 ... 1108130787

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » August 14th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Word is SEC voted for expansion today. It is going down.

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 14th, 2011, 2:22 pm

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » August 14th, 2011, 2:25 pm

GeoAg wrote:Word is SEC voted for expansion today. It is going down.
where did you see that? i read just the opposite.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... tions-open

it could be they are waiting for aTM to get approval from the TX legislature and will then take the mater up again.

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » August 14th, 2011, 3:00 pm

apparently, the SEC is still interested but they want aTm to leave the big-12 before they extend an invite. the TX BOR meeting is tomorrow, if they allow aTm to chart their own course, aTm will likely end up in the SEC. if they block it, then aTm has to weigh its options. one concern is baylor & TT could be harmed if aTm leaves and TV contract is devalued. nothing is certain at this point, other than aTm wants out of the big-12 and TX will be fine no matter what happens. the Pac-12 wants them, and the Big-10 may want them too. it appears TX has little to no interest in going indy. i was surprised to learn this, because i thought it was their eventual goal, but it seems to be true.

as mentioned on other posts, if TX drops its network, aTm may just stay where they are. that's a possibility because the network is not really going very well. the cable systems and dish networks haven't picked it up. TX could drop it and end up looking like the good guy in all of this and aTm would look like the spoiled child that screams when he doesn't get his way. it's also true that TX wanted aTm to be a part of the LHN when it was still in the planning stages. aTm declined. given the tepid response the network has rec'd, espn would probably be glad to drop the entire venture.

from what i've been reading, i don't see how aTm comes out of this without a tarnished reputation. but if they end up in the SEC, they probably won't care.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 14th, 2011, 4:27 pm

FINALLY Air Force is mentioned CHOOOO CHOOOO! :)

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggieblood

Post by aggieblood » August 14th, 2011, 5:31 pm

Steve509 wrote:

it could be they are waiting for aTM to get approval from the TX legislature and will then take the mater up again.
Texas legilature does not meet again until Jan. 2013.

Go Aggies!

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » August 14th, 2011, 5:38 pm

aggieblood wrote:
Steve509 wrote:

sorry, i should have said the BOR. they meet tomorrow.

OKAggie

AP, 7:05 PM ET: SEC DOESN'T OFFER TEXAS A&M INVITE

Post by OKAggie » August 14th, 2011, 5:47 pm

Last edited by OKAggie on August 14th, 2011, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody here knows anything.

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » August 14th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Statement from Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin regarding athletic conference discussions:

"As we have seen over the past several days, there has been a considerable amount of misinformation regarding these discussions and any associated timelines. The chairman of our board has indicated that the regents will proceed with tomorrow's agenda item, which authorizes the president of Texas A&M to take all actions related to athletic conference alignment. I will also accept Chairman Branch's invitation to participate in his committee's hearing on Tuesday. These are extremely complex issues, and it is imperative that we proceed methodically and in the best interests of Texas A&M."
=============================================================================================================

if the BOR gives Loftin the approval, aTm is gone.

dogie

Post by dogie » August 14th, 2011, 6:38 pm

aggieblood wrote:
Steve509 wrote:

Some of the state legislators are having a meeting on Tuesday. It's not a full legislative session. They needed a five-day public notice period, and the earliest they could schedule the meeting was Tuesday. The A&M trustees need only three days of public notice, so they were able to convene (tomorrow - Monday) before the official legislative meeting. A&M will give their president authority tomorrow to make all necessary decisions a day before the legislature can get fully involved in the process.

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » August 14th, 2011, 7:02 pm

it appears as though A&M informs the Big-12 they are leaving. then they apply to be admitted to the SEC. the SEC votes to accept them and then they look for #14.

i can only assume all of this has been worked out behind the scenes and A&M already knows they will get the invite. it's hard to imagine they'd go through all of this if they didn't already know what the outcome will be.

they have been talking with the SEC for ~2 weeks now. it was A&M that approached SEC this time.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » August 14th, 2011, 7:28 pm

Steve is right. A&M will get the invite. The SEC statement is legal CYA speak to keep them in the clear if any lawsuits are involved. They will simbply claim that A&M decided to change conferences before we invited them, then when they were available, we extended an invite. I stand by my prediction. Still way too early to tell what, if anything, it means for us from my vantage point.

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

bpd

Post by bpd » August 14th, 2011, 9:55 pm

It will be in the next 3 weeks.
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1251783

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » August 14th, 2011, 11:08 pm

bpd wrote:It will be in the next 3 weeks.
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1251783
this statement from the b-12 commish seems to just about say it all:

Even Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe was skeptical of the SEC taking no action on Texas A&M. Beebe told Orangebloods.com on Sunday night, "I will say that I noticed and am concerned that the SEC and Texas A&M statements are ambiguous and open ended."

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » August 14th, 2011, 11:17 pm

GeoAg wrote:... Still way too early to tell what, if anything, it means for us from my vantage point.
i'm going with the safe bet and saying it means nothing for the Aggies. way too many dominios have to fall before anything happens that would benefit USU.

Reynard Muldrake

Post by Reynard Muldrake » August 15th, 2011, 2:33 am

Steve509 wrote:
as mentioned on other posts, if TX drops its network, aTm may just stay where they are. that's a possibility because the network is not really going very well. the cable systems and dish networks haven't picked it up. TX could drop it and end up looking like the good guy in all of this and aTm would look like the spoiled child that screams when he doesn't get his way. it's also true that TX wanted aTm to be a part of the LHN when it was still in the planning stages. aTm declined. given the tepid response the network has rec'd, espn would probably be glad to drop the entire venture.
Common falsehood. I don't know how it gained traction, but the opposite is true. Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman will back me up:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/9-thing ... ePage=true

1.This entire Texas A&M-to-SEC situation might well have been avoided if Texas and A&M had been able to reach an agreement on a proposal three or four years ago that would have created a joint television network that would have broadcast the two flagship schools' Olympic sports like volleyball, women's basketball, track and field, and swimming and diving but only within the state's boundaries. Was to be called the Flagship Network. "It never went very far," A&M athletic director Bill Byrne said Sunday after returning from France where the Aggie men's basketball team was touring with exhibition games. "We had a real interest in it, but they had other interests."

Keep in mind, Texas was not interested when expectations for profits from such a network were around only $2-3 million a year, tops. In January, when Texas discovered that ESPN would pay $300 million over 20 years, did the Longhorns pick up the phone and call College Station? Of course not.

Locked Previous topicNext topic