NAR: BE Expansion article by CBS sports

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Steve509
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NAR: BE Expansion article by CBS sports

Post by Steve509 » June 21st, 2011, 10:55 am

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ss-is-more

they may stand pat for a while. there doesn't seem to be anyone available that helps them.

BYU was not mentioned. houston was always a bit of a long shot. this article indicates they aren't an attractive candidate.

my guess is like the MW, they will wait to see if a program can separate itself from the others like TCU did.

ViAggie

Re: NAR: BE Expansion article by CBS sports

Post by ViAggie » June 21st, 2011, 11:50 am

of course byu wasn't mentioned, they were NEVER mentioned by anyone except delusional byu fans spreading rumors they know are unsubstantiated, but difficult to refute. It's like me saying that I had it on good authority that when the PAC 10 expanded to include Utah and Colorado, they considered inviting USU and Colorado State to make it 14 with each team having an instate TP. See, I can do that too!. No the Big East is not looking at byu, not even for Football (what a laugh). Has byu ever even been to a bcs bowl? NO, but their fans seem to forget that. TCU on the other hand has, and more than once. Just like Utah.

If the Big East expands it only helps us if they take one or two C-USA teams, and that ultimately ends up weakening the Sun Belt (so that we could justify snatching a couple of their members) or if CUSA could convince a few MW teams to jump ship (doubtful, but with no BCS status likely, not completely out of the question). I still highly doubt that CUSA takes La Tech, I'm guessing they take Troy or Middle Ten, and perhaps one MAC team (one located in a big city of course).

What would be best for us is if someone like the Big 12 took the military schools, including Air Force, whereby opening up a spot for us in the MWC. That’s not likely either. Seems odd that CUSA hasn’t thought about pitching the idea of inviting all of the military schools to join. I know that Army left CUSA to become indy like Navy. Perhaps if Navy and AFA were invited…? That would be a fun/strong conference. And with no BCS status eminent for either conference, they are basically on level footing, whether or not mw fans want to admit it or not.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » June 21st, 2011, 12:13 pm

the BE knows they are getting a new TV contract and a large increase in revenue. they don't need to expand to get that.
IMO, the only way they add any programs is if the network they sign with really wants a CCG and is willing to pay for it. IMO, that is the only sliver of hope for another round of expansion.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » June 22nd, 2011, 8:07 am

They staying PAT in order to increase revenue by allowing multiple media outlets to bid. Right now they're still in contract with ESPN, but that ends next year I believe? Once that ends they can make sure a bidding war follows and drive up the price, and they can ask those outlets which teams they should add in order to increase their bid.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » June 22nd, 2011, 11:35 am

now there is a rumor floating around that the ACC may invite West VA & Pitt. if that happens, it's anyones guess as to what the BE will do to protect their BCS status. losing those two schools may be enough for the MW to overtake them as the 6th best conference.

there is also a rumor that C-USA will invite MO St for all sports but will allow them to remain in FCS FB for a couple of years before moving up.

maybe expansion isn't as dead as i thought.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 22nd, 2011, 12:33 pm

I doubt the ACC expands at all, they don't need too. And the Big East would just invite two more schools with high BCS numbers to offset that loss if it happened. I doubt CUSA goes after Mizzu State. That's like the MW adding Montana and allowing them to remain FCS, it's a stupid idea. Troy is the likely candidate for CUSA expansion, them or Middle Ten State or a MAC school or two for media market exposure. Well... that's my guess anyway.

AgTime

Post by AgTime » June 22nd, 2011, 12:38 pm

Steve509 wrote:now there is a rumor floating around that the ACC may invite West VA & Pitt. if that happens, it's anyones guess as to what the BE will do to protect their BCS status. losing those two schools may be enough for the MW to overtake them as the 6th best conference.

there is also a rumor that C-USA will invite MO St for all sports but will allow them to remain in FCS FB for a couple of years before moving up.

maybe expansion isn't as dead as i thought.
ACC to 14? Maybe.

This is the first somewhat interesting rumor to be floated out there in a while (honestly, it's been out there a while now). If there is any credence whatsoever to this, the BE ought to consider near-term expansion to FB 12, if not for any other reason than to remain viable should a raid such as this occur.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » June 22nd, 2011, 1:23 pm

ViAggie wrote:I doubt the ACC expands at all, they don't need too. And the Big East would just invite two more schools with high BCS numbers to offset that loss if it happened. I doubt CUSA goes after Mizzu State. That's like the MW adding Montana and allowing them to remain FCS, it's a stupid idea. Troy is the likely candidate for CUSA expansion, them or Middle Ten State or a MAC school or two for media market exposure. Well... that's my guess anyway.
I wouldn't compare Mizzou St with Montana, maybe Weber, IMO football and basketball would be about the same level.

2020 PICK'EM GOOGLE Docs -
BOWLS (pick entry)

WEEK 15 (results)

wsuwaldo

Post by wsuwaldo » June 22nd, 2011, 7:01 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
ViAggie wrote:I doubt the ACC expands at all, they don't need too. And the Big East would just invite two more schools with high BCS numbers to offset that loss if it happened. I doubt CUSA goes after Mizzu State. That's like the MW adding Montana and allowing them to remain FCS, it's a stupid idea. Troy is the likely candidate for CUSA expansion, them or Middle Ten State or a MAC school or two for media market exposure. Well... that's my guess anyway.
I wouldn't compare Mizzou St with Montana, maybe Weber, IMO football and basketball would be about the same level.
Missouri State is the bastard child of FCS. Before you make yourself look any dumber you might want to change your remark to another team, perhaps, you should have said, a school like Idaho, UVU, or Humbolt State.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 23rd, 2011, 6:05 pm

If the ACC goes to 14 that would be nuts... If Conference USA expands, what would be our opportunity? A rising Football team, and good basketball...

“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 23rd, 2011, 6:40 pm

I doubt C-USA would ever go past the rockies. In some way's it would be cool, but culturally we don't really fit into the C-USA mix. It would be fun for Basketball, but our fans wouldn't be traveling to any games from Logan, unless someone else close by was also in the mix, but who? NMSU? Yea, we'd be short timers too, and at a 1 Million Dollar buy out, not worth it for us. Better stick with plan's A and B... hell even joining the Big West is probably a better idea.

Locked Previous topicNext topic