Which is most likely to happen

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.

What is the most likely next event to happen in regards to WAC football?

A - USU leaves for another conference
23%
B - Idaho leaves for another conference
1%
C - San Jose State leaves for another conference
No votes
D - Louisiana Tech leaves for another conference
17%
E - New Mexico State leaves for another conference
1%
F - UTSA leaves for another conference
1%
G - Texas State leaves for another conference
No votes
H - One of the above schools drops to FCS or drops football completely
6%
I - An FBS school joins the WAC
4%
J - An FCS school joins the WAC
46%

Total votes: 70

Yossarian

Which is most likely to happen

Post by Yossarian » June 12th, 2011, 5:58 pm

I don't know how to set up a poll on here but I would be interested to see what people think will happen first. There seems to be a lot of optimism on here that USU will move into the void that Boise State will leave at the top of the Conference once Nevada, Fresno and Hawaii leave. My poll question is this:

Edited to create poll- moderator (for next time, you need to simply follow the directions below the normal text window under "poll creation")

Eutaw St. Aggie

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: Which is most likely to happen

Post by BigBlueDart » June 12th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Right now I'll have to go with J.

blonddad
Pick'em Champ - '13 Kickoff
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by blonddad » June 12th, 2011, 6:46 pm

I predict the WAC stays static for a few seasons, Idaho tires of all the travel, and rejoins the Big Sky.

Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football.- John Heisman

cval

Post by cval » June 13th, 2011, 10:39 am

It would be nice to be able to choose 3 of these options, as I think A, D, and J are all strong possibilities.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 13th, 2011, 11:12 am

I think the WAC holds steady for 5 or so years after UNR, UH, and FSU leave. No team will dominate the league and there will be a lot of parity - one team could be first one year then last 2 years after that.

Then I think one of the Texas schools will bolt for CUSA in the way that South Florida, then Central Florida used the Sun Belt as a stepping stone. I picked UTSA because of the large market, the huge potential for a nice bowl, and the presence in the CUSA footprint - it also opens up another large Texas market for recruiting. This will be another in a long list of teams to blow by USU on the race track of college football.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » June 13th, 2011, 11:54 am

i could see utsa going to c-usa if houston gets invited to the BE. IMO, the MW won't be adding anyone unless that program helps them with their AQ numbers.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » June 13th, 2011, 12:53 pm

Steve509 wrote:i could see utsa going to c-usa if houston gets invited to the BE. IMO, the MW won't be adding anyone unless that program helps them with their AQ numbers.
I don't think the driver will be AQ numbers I think the dirver will be $. The AQ ship has sailed for the MWC when Utah, BYU and TCU left. I am not interested in what UNR's, Hawaii's and BSU's number do. Any effort to prove the MWC is in better shape now than it was two years ago is simply massaging figures. Everyone knows it and especially the television networks know it.

Any conference with football as bad as the bottom four teams will not be getting AQ status. I am even sceptical of the 2-year window there has been much talk of. Regardless, the BCS will blow up into super conferences before the MWC get AQ status.

That leaves revenues as the driver of the bus.

There are many things that could precipitate the MWC looking for members. 1) AFA decides to go indepnendent; 2) the Big 12 or BE re-shuffle and try to pick up someone; and 3) and (the most likely) the MWC goes to 12 teams. Whether or not USU figures into that mix at all remains to be seen. Regardless, in advace of that shake up there are two things that will be important for the Aggies: winning and putting butts in the seats.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 13th, 2011, 2:36 pm

Correct me if i'm wrong... but doesn't each round matter in terms of basketball payouts? So if you had 4 teams in the tournament and each round the conference went .500, so you had 2 teams making the 2nd round, and 1 making the sweet 16... that would be 7 installments divided among the conference... adding USU to a conference like the WCC or the MWC could be good financially and turn either into a b-ball powerhouse... yes Football dominates.. Why not join the WCC and then go Football only in Conference USA (its the closest plausible d-1 conference I can think of).. Like the deal Hawaii has with the MWC... granted that would put Confence USA @ 13 teams... idk how that would work... its just that the WAC could be a lost cause... we could maybe salvage it and become a "Memphis" of the WAC... but Memphis has resources we could only dream of... and they get people to go to the Pyramid... uggh... :bangwall: we may be screwed.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » June 13th, 2011, 4:56 pm

USU doesn't fit the WCC template for private schools. BYU does and brings more to the WCC table. The WCC is not knocking our door down to invite us. We could go BW and park our football team in the SB, but there's no advantage there. Unfortunately, we're pretty much stuck.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 13th, 2011, 8:40 pm

Thats true there are all those Conservative Christian private schools like St. Marys and Pepperdine.. I wasn't aware it was a requirement... dang... well I guess it couldn't be much worse than last years bball schedule... and it may be a good way to get our football program wins.

oregonaggie1

Post by oregonaggie1 » June 15th, 2011, 11:29 pm

utaggies wrote:
Steve509 wrote:i could see utsa going to c-usa if houston gets invited to the BE. IMO, the MW won't be adding anyone unless that program helps them with their AQ numbers.
I don't think the driver will be AQ numbers I think the dirver will be $. The AQ ship has sailed for the MWC when Utah, BYU and TCU left. I am not interested in what UNR's, Hawaii's and BSU's number do. Any effort to prove the MWC is in better shape now than it was two years ago is simply massaging figures. Everyone knows it and especially the television networks know it.

Any conference with football as bad as the bottom four teams will not be getting AQ status. I am even sceptical of the 2-year window there has been much talk of. Regardless, the BCS will blow up into super conferences before the MWC get AQ status.

That leaves revenues as the driver of the bus.

There are many things that could precipitate the MWC looking for members. 1) AFA decides to go indepnendent; 2) the Big 12 or BE re-shuffle and try to pick up someone; and 3) and (the most likely) the MWC goes to 12 teams. Whether or not USU figures into that mix at all remains to be seen. Regardless, in advace of that shake up there are two things that will be important for the Aggies: winning and putting butts in the seats.

all this is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic,, when the drama played out last fall and the Aggies were left with only their dignity in place, there is simply NO reasonalbe or fiesable FBS alternative open to USU,, if a reconstituted WAC does emerge, the interesst and dollar generating ability of the conference will be about as mony making as frog jumping in Calveras county,,

the WAC is dead, just a matter of time,, a dead man walking,, my alternative would be to bite the bullet and drop football altogether and try to get into the basketball playing WCC along with BYU,, of course those with a financial interest will whip this USU football horse till it drops,, or till it kills both USU football AND basketball,,

just listen to that dolt King Karl ginning up the viability of the WAC as being "great",, "new opportunities" for new and emerging Boise States",,, "who will be the next Boise State coming from the WAC"? I wait with baited breath,,,, or how about this one,, one of my new favorite Benson-isms,, how wonderful the loss of two bowls, that leaves us one *true* WAC championship bowl,, the "humiliation Bowl",, played where?,, on the Campus of Boise State University,, talk about a slap in the face !!!,, even worse, Saint Stew and Albrect endorse all this utter nonsense,, and the conference meeting in Denver chaired by fumbling bumbling Stan,, and the beat goes on,, but not for long,,

Servo

Post by Servo » June 20th, 2011, 12:45 am

I'm not even sure option 'I' is possible. Exactly who is FBS and looking for a conference? However, the conference shuffle is still not over.

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

Steve509

Post by Steve509 » June 20th, 2011, 3:44 pm

I assume those who selected option 'A' still believe the MW is going to come calling. I hope they are correct. No other conference, other than C-USA is an attractive option. Unfortunately, the MW doesn't appear to be considering expansion, and when they do, they've made it clear they want to get back into Texas. And I don't think they mean El Paso.

I remain hopeful the WAC will become a stable conference by adding more FB programs and eventually get 10 FB playing members. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, one of many problems the WAC has is USU, LA Tech, ID and probably NMSU all want out. It wouldn't surprise me if NMSU and LA Tech were to leave for the Sun Belt if given the opportunity. UTSA and Tx St, are IMO, hoping to use the WAC as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. With UTSA's new stadium, if FB can get going, they'll have a leg up on all other WAC teams in regards to being an expansion candidate.

Locked Previous topicNext topic