NAR: MWC Penalty Fee

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
ProvoAggie
Site Admin

NAR: MWC Penalty Fee

Post by ProvoAggie » June 8th, 2011, 8:58 am

It looks like the new logo wasn't the only announcement that the MWC had this week. They used to allow teams to leave the conference without any penalty. Craig Thompson's said that if a school didn't want to be in the MWC, then the MWC didn't want them either. I guess that's all changed now as the MWC has just put in place a pretty hefty penalty to get teams to stop leaving.
The league previously had no penalty for schools that left with one year notice. Now the price will be steep. The league said in a statement that if a member institution provides notice on or before June 30 in the year preceding its withdrawal date, it will forfeit its final year of revenue. If the departing member gives notice after the established June 30 notice date, it shall forfeit its final year of revenue plus $5 million or will be required to pay double the amount of the final year's revenue, whichever is greater.
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... hat-depart

I guess the MWC found a way to stabilize itself now if they can figure out how to enforce it.

dyedblue

Re: NAR: MWC Penalty Fee

Post by dyedblue » June 8th, 2011, 9:27 am

How sentimental. Did Nevada's President vote on the matter? Sign it?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » June 8th, 2011, 9:57 am

dyedblue wrote:How sentimental. Did Nevada's President vote on the matter? Sign it?
He died.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » June 8th, 2011, 10:02 am

They also determined that they will only play 8 conference games beginning in 2014 I believe. I'm not sure whether these changes make expansion any more or less likely. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW - ejmpalle is making a fool of himself on the MWC board...anyone see that?

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 8th, 2011, 11:49 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:How sentimental. Did Nevada's President vote on the matter? Sign it?
He died.
They have an interim president who could sign it.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 8th, 2011, 12:55 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
He died.
I guess dishonorable actions are tough to live with.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » June 8th, 2011, 1:31 pm

Too low, brownjeans.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 8th, 2011, 1:55 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:Too low, brownjeans.
Yeah, I figured. But I'm kinda twisted.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 8th, 2011, 2:01 pm

Yeah brownjeans, the Lincoln assassination just barely became funny, so it'll be awhile.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 8th, 2011, 2:54 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:Too low, brownjeans.
What did this phrase remind me of?

[youtube][/youtube]

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » June 8th, 2011, 4:45 pm

I know this is very unlikely, but could this have just been implemented to prevent another airport scenario in case some teams are unhappy about expansion that may occur in concert with the current MWC tv deal negotiation? It is funny that hair was bragging about not having an agreement like this just a few months ago.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 8th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Good point Geo! Something stinks here, and for once it's not eminating from Provo. What is ol' Hair up to? :headscratch:

SoCalAggie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SoCalAggie » June 8th, 2011, 6:18 pm

I'm sure if Hair had his way we would have been invited. It's not his decision to make, so if the mwc was poised to make a run at two more teams the school presidents would surely know about it. The one thing we do know for a fact, no matter how much crack MW fans smoke, CUSA schools are not lining up to join a conference that is squarely on equal footing with the one they are already in... especially with their own exit penalties worth about a Million bucks! UTEP nor Huston are paying 1 mill just to hook up with UNM, CSU, UNLV, Wyoming, et al. Tell me one school that's trilled about playing in Bozzy? No one. Sure they like the money they potentially bring, but that's about it.

Drifting through a world that's torn and tattered, every thought I have don't mean a thing...

cval

Post by cval » June 8th, 2011, 8:55 pm

I suspect this fee might actually discourage C-USA teams with aspirations for an AQ conference invite. Should it come, it would be more difficult for them to leave the MWC. Why join the MWC with a big exit fee if you think there is any chance at all of an AQ invite down the road.

If they really do plan to expand at some point, this is good news for USU.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » June 8th, 2011, 9:06 pm

cval wrote:I suspect this fee might actually discourage C-USA teams with aspirations for an AQ conference invite. Should it come, it would be more difficult for them to leave the MWC. Why join the MWC with a big exit fee if you think there is any chance at all of an AQ invite down the road.

If they really do plan to expand at some point, this is good news for USU.
The fee only kicks in if somebody tries to leave after the deadline. Given that, I think they are trying to prevent something much more specific than any of us have a clue about.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 8th, 2011, 10:52 pm

The fee kicks in the minute a team announces it is leaving. They forfeit their final year's revenue. If they leave after the deadline then the forfeit that amount + $5M or double their revenue share, whichever is greater.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » June 9th, 2011, 1:25 am

This isn't a big deal. As long as a team leaves before the designated deadline than they're fine.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Locked Previous topicNext topic