Who should the Utah Jazz to draft with the 3rd Pick?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.

Who do you want the Utah Jazz to draft with the 3rd overall pick?

Kyrie Irving
8%
Derrick Williams
48%
Brandon Knight
24%
Enes Kanter
14%
Kemba Walker
4%
Jonas Valanciunas
2%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 50

UtahS7
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Who should the Utah Jazz to draft with the 3rd Pick?

Post by UtahS7 » May 21st, 2011, 2:55 pm

Explain how you think we would get him. If we had to move up or something.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Re: Who should the Utah Jazz to draft with the 3rd Pick?

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 21st, 2011, 6:10 pm

I voted for Derrick Williams. This obviously is contingent upon Cleveland and Minnesota passing on him. Cleveland will probably take Irving, he's probably the only franchise type player in the draft. If Minnesota is smart (which history has shown they're typically not when it comes to drafting) they should take Kanter. They need a center not named Darko and Kanter really has a ton of potential and is clearly the most polished big man in the draft.

If that happens, there's no way the Jazz pass on Williams. He supposedly has said that he's a 3 that can play the 4, not the other way around. I would be very happy if it worked out this way.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » May 21st, 2011, 9:07 pm

I don't think it would be worth it for the Jazz to trade up to get Irving or Williams and I assume they will be taken at 1 and 2. If that happens, the Jazz should take Knight. He's just 18 and has tons of potential. Very explosive player. A lot of natural talent.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 21st, 2011, 9:28 pm

Jazz need to get Irving or Williams. Whichever one is not taken by Cleveland. I doubt Cleveland will want to make a trade but it's a well known fact that Minnesota is already shopping the #2 pick. The Jazz may need to make a move, but I think it would be worth it as long as they don't have to lose any major pieces.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » May 24th, 2011, 2:43 am

Irving and Williams go 1-2. Wow what a weak draft - I think Williams is a middle-tier pick in most years. He's a tweener. I think he'll be just OK in the NBA. Kanter won't even work out with the Jazz. I went with Brandon Knight who has a ton of potential, and the last three guards Callipari has coached haven't been too shabby - Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall.

I think Kawli Leonard and Jimmer may also be looked at.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 24th, 2011, 7:43 am

UtahStizzle wrote:Irving and Williams go 1-2. Wow what a weak draft - I think Williams is a middle-tier pick in most years. He's a tweener. I think he'll be just OK in the NBA. Kanter won't even work out with the Jazz. I went with Brandon Knight who has a ton of potential, and the last three guards Callipari has coached haven't been too shabby - Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall.

Kanter not working out with the Jazz was just a Jazz-hater rumor that wasn't true (http://www.slcdunk.com/2011/5/20/218169 ... and-others). What happened was Kanter scheduled an entire day to interview and workout with the Jazz so he skipped an interview with the Jazz at the combine. Everyone made a big deal out of him skipping that interview - but they didn't know he was doing an entire day with the Jazz. Kanter says he grew up watching Okur and the Jazz.

Seems that saying "[name] doesn't want to play for the Jazz" is now just a press cliche that makes a good story when someone has a deadline and has been too drunk to actually get a story.

Brandon Knight scares me. His numbers are terrible. He could be awesome or a total bust. But I feel like that about everyone in this draft. I hope Irving or Williams fall to three.

UtahS7

Post by UtahS7 » May 25th, 2011, 7:49 pm

You guys gotta remember... Brandon Knight is only 18 years old! Give him a year or more in the NBA! He's going too be good, no question about it. He still has plenty of time to work on his imperfections. Kemba Walker on the other hand is 21 years old, it's taken him three years to get to where he's at right now, although he's had some good seasons as a sophmore and freshman. I say if Derrick Williams doesn't slip, we take him. we shouldn't waste a pick for someone who is already telling media where they'd like to play ( Kemba - New York ). Or taking a risk at Kanter because we don't know how long his knees will hold up for. If Irving and Williams is gone after 1 & 2 then we have to draft Knight! Just sayin.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 25th, 2011, 11:55 pm

If the Jazz get Knight or Kanter at 3 and one of either Alec Burks, Jordan Hamilton, Kawhi Leonard, Bismack Biyombo (stunningly athletic and a shot blocking fiend) or Chris Singleton (stunningly athletic and a defensive superstar) at 12. That will be a pretty good draft. And the Jazz are going to be able to do that. Now the only question is, will they? Because I could also see them drafting a couple of Euros that don't work out at all.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 26th, 2011, 9:51 am

Brandon Knight for two reasons. #1- He's really good and can be the future pg to build the team around. #2-If they draft Knight, there is no way they can draft Jimmer at #12.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 26th, 2011, 10:59 am

2004AG wrote:Brandon Knight for two reasons. #1- He's really good and can be the future pg to build the team around. #2-If they draft Knight, there is no way they can draft Jimmer at #12.
Knight it is then!

I can't see them drafting Jimmer. The Miller family has avoided drafting locals. And for good reason: you alienate part of your fan base. Draft Jimmer and you draw BYU fans and push away Utah and Utah State fans. It's like Jordan said when asked to take a political stance with Democrats, "Republicans buy shoes too."

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » May 26th, 2011, 4:28 pm

They sure didn't shy away from Araujo

UtahS7

Post by UtahS7 » May 26th, 2011, 5:49 pm

justinmorrey wrote:They sure didn't shy away from Araujo

And that is a perfect example of why they shouldn't draft Jimmer! Lol

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 26th, 2011, 7:47 pm

The last two players from BYU that played on the Jazz?

Andy Toolson
Rafael Araujo.

Two of the worst players ever to suit up for them. John Amaechi was probably the worst.

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » May 27th, 2011, 8:25 am

2004AG wrote:Brandon Knight for two reasons. #1- He's really good and can be the future pg to build the team around. #2-If they draft Knight, there is no way they can draft Jimmer at #12.

Absolutely agree here. The Jazz would be stupid not to draft Knight. The kid is a winner. He wants to take the big shots and every where he goes he wins. He's also a 4.0 student.

providencealum

Post by providencealum » May 27th, 2011, 10:02 am

SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:

Absolutely agree here. The Jazz would be stupid not to draft Knight. The kid is a winner. He wants to take the big shots and every where he goes he wins. He's also a 4.0 student.
Having a 4.0 is pretty impressive, but do we have any idea of what kind of classes he was taking for his only year at KU?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 27th, 2011, 11:37 am

justinmorrey wrote:They sure didn't shy away from Araujo
They didn't draft Araujo, they got him for minimum cost after the washed out at Toronto. It's one thing to pick up a local player after they've been in the league for a while, it's another to get them straight out of college when the player is still covered with the stench of local hype and hope.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 27th, 2011, 11:56 am

I got sold a little more on Brandon Knight when I read a bleacher report article about him with this quote:
“I wouldn’t mind going there,’’ Knight said of living in Salt Lake City. “It’s a great city. They always have a great group of guys. I want to surround myself with a good group of guys. I like the things Utah is about. I’d enjoy going to Utah.’’
I realize that it could just be talk to try and get drafted as high as possible, but he still didn't need to say it. He sounds like a pretty down to earth guy, and he's got as much potential as anybody in the draft...the kid's only 18.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

UtahS7

Post by UtahS7 » May 28th, 2011, 2:44 pm

Well no doubt we won't get Kyrie Irving as Cleveland is pretty high on him for the #1 pick. I also doubt that we will get Derrick Williams at #3, as Minnesota is looking for options on trading the #2 Pick. Also rumor has it that Cleveland's front office is pretty high on Derrick Williams as well, and that they are working on a deal that would involve Cleveland, Minnesota, and Detroit, in which Cleveland would end up with the #2 pick. So i'm thinking that Cleveland will probably be going into draft day having the #1, and #2 pick in this years draft, unless they don't finalize the deal until draft day. Which will most likely mean Kyrie, and Derrick will be in Cleveland, its just a rumor though. So i think we'll end up picking Brandon Knight with our #3 pick, because well to me he has the most potential.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » May 29th, 2011, 7:22 am

brownjeans wrote:
UtahStizzle wrote:Irving and Williams go 1-2. Wow what a weak draft - I think Williams is a middle-tier pick in most years. He's a tweener. I think he'll be just OK in the NBA. Kanter won't even work out with the Jazz. I went with Brandon Knight who has a ton of potential, and the last three guards Callipari has coached haven't been too shabby - Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall.

Kanter not working out with the Jazz was just a Jazz-hater rumor that wasn't true (http://www.slcdunk.com/2011/5/20/218169 ... and-others). What happened was Kanter scheduled an entire day to interview and workout with the Jazz so he skipped an interview with the Jazz at the combine. Everyone made a big deal out of him skipping that interview - but they didn't know he was doing an entire day with the Jazz. Kanter says he grew up watching Okur and the Jazz.

Seems that saying "[name] doesn't want to play for the Jazz" is now just a press cliche that makes a good story when someone has a deadline and has been too drunk to actually get a story.

Brandon Knight scares me. His numbers are terrible. He could be awesome or a total bust. But I feel like that about everyone in this draft. I hope Irving or Williams fall to three.
Oh good to know. I was watching the combine on ESPN U and they said he wouldn't work out with a number of teams including the Jazz. When asked about it he just said it was a move his agent said was best.

USUinventedswagger

Post by USUinventedswagger » May 29th, 2011, 12:05 pm

You have to take Knight at 3. There are no sure things, but he is the closest thing to a sure thing in this draft. Even more than Irving. Great athlete, great leader, great in the clutch, and as mentioned very intelligent and wants to come here.

The limitation of tyrants is the endurance of those they oppose. – Frederick Douglass

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » May 31st, 2011, 3:14 am

I think they'll surprise people by taking Jimmer at #3, and then drafting him AGAIN at #12. Plus that makes the decision process easier.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 6th, 2011, 10:34 am

I picked Derrick Williams, but if the Cavs were smart they'd take him over Kyrie... (I think it gives the Cavs the best value 4 the pick, they still get their star PG) and then go for Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker with their #4 pick... that being said I see the Jazz landing Brandon Knight.

“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » June 8th, 2011, 11:48 am

Just have to post but I was reading the Jazz page on ESPN about the draft and there were comments about who the Jazz should draft. Several people thought the Jazz should draft Jimmer with the #3 pick. I'll hate the Jazz if they picked him #12 but if anyone really thinks he will go #3 has had too much of the BYU Kool-Aid.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » June 9th, 2011, 12:21 am

I voted Knight and I think those that commented on him above are spot on. He has a ton to offer, is young, and most importantly, from what I saw in the NCAA tourney, he has a sweet shot that he makes in clutch situations. We wants the ball with the game on the line and can create his own shot and make it. That is what you need in the NBA these days.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 9th, 2011, 1:44 pm

I chose Irving because if he's there at no. 3 and the Jazz don't take him they're crazy.

Locked Previous topicNext topic