Aggies Baseball Post Season

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Aggie19

Aggies Baseball Post Season

Post by Aggie19 » May 17th, 2022, 5:42 pm

These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 3):
NVAggieEl Sapoaggies22

Go Aggies!

aggieborn

Re: Aggies Baseball Post Season

Post by aggieborn » May 17th, 2022, 11:46 pm

For those that don’t follow college baseball Utah state is the only school in the World Series that doesn’t also have a scholar-shipped baseball team and almost all have student populations much larger than Utah State. Almost all of these schools are baseball powerhouses especially LSU and Cal Poly. Nebraska and Penn State are the only 2 on the list that aren’t incredible and their still power five. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if these club teams have burnt out walk ons or players looking to walk on on their team yet Utah State is #3 in the nation. It’s pretty incredible
These users thanked the author aggieborn for the post (total 3):
Aggie19El Sapoaggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 22nd, 2022, 5:36 pm

Where does USU play their home games? Are they still at the old Smithfield Bluesox diamond?

Eutaw St. Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 23rd, 2022, 12:31 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 22nd, 2022, 5:36 pm
Where does USU play their home games? Are they still at the old Smithfield Bluesox diamond?
I thought they played out in Providence?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 23rd, 2022, 12:52 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 23rd, 2022, 12:31 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Their website shows that field on 100 N in Smithfield. That's the one i remember them playing on before.

It would be nice to build a facility in Logan like the one UVU has in Orem. You could use it host high school tournaments when not being used by the club team.

I think Larry Miller put up a bunch of money to get both the UVU stadium and the BYU baseball/softball complex built. Ryan Smith isn't a baseball guy like Larry Miller was.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » May 23rd, 2022, 1:18 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 23rd, 2022, 12:52 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Their website shows that field on 100 N in Smithfield. That's the one i remember them playing on before.

It would be nice to build a facility in Logan like the one UVU has in Orem. You could use it host high school tournaments when not being used by the club team.

I think Larry Miller put up a bunch of money to get both the UVU stadium and the BYU baseball/softball complex built. Ryan Smith isn't a baseball guy like Larry Miller was.
If Utah State were to build a complex as nice as UVUs they would probably need to make Baseball a scholarship sport. I’d love to see that happen with the MW already having a baseball conference but having to cut a mens sport/add a womens sport on top of all the money it would require would make it rly rly difficult. If a school wants a shot of joining a P5 conference they need a baseball team, Boise State tried to add one to strengthen their resume to the Big 12 but Covid forced them to cut it in its first season.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » May 23rd, 2022, 1:35 pm

aggieborn wrote:
May 23rd, 2022, 1:18 pm
Yossarian wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

If Utah State were to build a complex as nice as UVUs they would probably need to make Baseball a scholarship sport. I’d love to see that happen with the MW already having a baseball conference but having to cut a mens sport/add a womens sport on top of all the money it would require would make it rly rly difficult. If a school wants a shot of joining a P5 conference they need a baseball team, Boise State tried to add one to strengthen their resume to the Big 12 but Covid forced them to cut it in its first season.
I wonder if that is true. The vast majority of P5 teams have baseball teams (there are only 4 that do not). I just dont see baseball driving the bus.

Seems like it could be a correlation not causation thing. Now you probably do need a solid athletics program beyond football and basketball, but does that require a baseball team.

As far as adding womens sports. You could add womens golf fairly easily. I would also love to add equestrian because, why not and we are an ag school.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 25th, 2022, 11:02 am

I've attended my share of Bluesox games. I wonder if you still get paid for returning foul balls? It got pretty competitive chasing down those balls.

Richard Hansen RIP

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » May 25th, 2022, 11:30 am

Mmmmm…..lion pups:………favorite blue Sox moment was when Kimber Hall was playing and his dad was the PA announcer. Kimber struck out and his dad forgot he was on mike and said “hit the gawd damn ball”. Caused quite the stir amongst the blue Sox fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
El Sapo

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » May 25th, 2022, 11:48 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
aggieborn wrote:
May 23rd, 2022, 1:18 pm
Yossarian wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I wonder if that is true. The vast majority of P5 teams have baseball teams (there are only 4 that do not). I just dont see baseball driving the bus.

Seems like it could be a correlation not causation thing. Now you probably do need a solid athletics program beyond football and basketball, but does that require a baseball team.

As far as adding womens sports. You could add womens golf fairly easily. I would also love to add equestrian because, why not and we are an ag school.
Only problem with equestrian is getting the athletes qualified academically. It’s hard to find a horse that can must anything over a 13 on the ACT.

Hail Aggies!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » May 25th, 2022, 11:50 am

aggieborn wrote:For those that don’t follow college baseball Utah state is the only school in the World Series that doesn’t also have a scholar-shipped baseball team and almost all have student populations much larger than Utah State. Almost all of these schools are baseball powerhouses especially LSU and Cal Poly. Nebraska and Penn State are the only 2 on the list that aren’t incredible and their still power five. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if these club teams have burnt out walk ons or players looking to walk on on their team yet Utah State is #3 in the nation. It’s pretty incredible
Just to be clear, the players they’re playing against aren’t on scholarship, they’re on the club team. While some club players think of it as a JV system, the D1 team does not.

Hail Aggies!

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » May 25th, 2022, 12:05 pm

Yossarian wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I can confirm they’re still out in Smithfield. Their fun games to go to if anyone is looking for something to do!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » May 25th, 2022, 12:40 pm

Yossarian wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

The UVU one was done as a partnership between UVU and the Orem Owlz to get them out of Provo (BYU wouldn't let them play on Sundays). Brent Brown put up some money for it too and had the initial naming rights.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
Yossarian

Locked Previous topicNext topic