Minimally AR: BYU to require temple recommends for ALL employees

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
GameFAQSAggie

Minimally AR: BYU to require temple recommends for ALL employees

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 27th, 2022, 7:26 pm

BYU is going to start requiring temple recommends for all employees.
https://www.ksl.com/article/50336569/by ... aint-hires

They have always required head coaches to be temple recommend holders , but if this policy doesn't exclude athletics, BYU could become very limited in who they hire as their assistant coaches. And this could have minimal effect on us in that it would keep BYU from poaching non-member coaches from us along with choosing to work for us when BYU isn't an option, but also force BYU to poach temple recommend holder coaches from us with fewer other options.

LKGates

Re: Minimally AR: BYU to require temple recommends for ALL employees

Post by LKGates » January 27th, 2022, 7:48 pm

Yikes! I think this is a stunningly bad idea.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 27th, 2022, 8:06 pm

Both the headline and article clearly state that only members of the church that are hired must maintain a recommend. Non members of the church don't have to. I don't see this having any effect on coaching hires.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » January 28th, 2022, 2:40 am

Semi related to this, but definitely not AR, what ever happened to the situation a few years ago regarding the Air Force ROTC commander who was assigned to take over the BYU detachment, but refused to abide by the honor code? He was not Mormon, and at least publicly (if my memory was correct) his big beef was with the coffee and alcohol prohibitions. There was talk of moving the detachment over to UVU, and make BYU a cross-town affiliate. But I never heard how it was resolved. Did BYU grant him a waiver, or was he re-assigned to another detachment and an active Mormon brought in? Anyone know?

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 28th, 2022, 9:28 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2022, 8:06 pm
Both the headline and article clearly state that only members of the church that are hired must maintain a recommend. Non members of the church don't have to. I don't see this having any effect on coaching hires.

It sounds like it would prevent them from hiring an inactive assistant coach. Which may have some impact, not sure.

For example, they probably could not hire Mike Leach as an OC one day. Not that it would happen, but he is the only inactive member of the church that is a D1 coach that I can think of. Though I am sure there are other examples.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » January 28th, 2022, 9:34 am

"The updated policy aligns the church universities and colleges with other church employees and applies to all seminary and institute employees in the Church Educational System. The schools still can hire people who are not church members who agree to follow the honor code."

I don't see this having any impact in regards to hiring assistants.
These users thanked the author GeorgiaAggie for the post:
Aggie19

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » January 28th, 2022, 9:46 am

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 9:34 am
"The updated policy aligns the church universities and colleges with other church employees and applies to all seminary and institute employees in the Church Educational System. The schools still can hire people who are not church members who agree to follow the honor code."

I don't see this having any impact in regards to hiring assistants.
You mean all I had to do last year was short my tithing by a few bucks, which could have meant I lost my temple recommend, and then they would have to release me as a seminary teacher? :) These last 4.5 years as an early morning seminary teacher have been brutal.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 28th, 2022, 9:53 am

Everybody wants to see papers these days.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
ViAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 28th, 2022, 10:48 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 9:28 am
ProvoAggie wrote:

It sounds like it would prevent them from hiring an inactive assistant coach. Which may have some impact, not sure.

For example, they probably could not hire Mike Leach as an OC one day. Not that it would happen, but he is the only inactive member of the church that is a D1 coach that I can think of. Though I am sure there are other examples.
Other examples are both Gary Andersen and Stew Morrill who were members but had gone inactive and weren't holders of temple recommends and didn't care to get them. There are a number of analyst and advisor postions they could otherwise give them.
Gary Patterson as well once got baptized cause he was once dating a girl that was a member and wanted him to, but broke up and quit going, but still has his records in the church. At least that's a story I once saw on cougarboard.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 28th, 2022, 12:11 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 9:53 am
Everybody wants to see papers these days.
:lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 28th, 2022, 12:11 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 10:48 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Other examples are both Gary Andersen and Stew Morrill who were members but had gone inactive and weren't holders of temple recommends and didn't care to get them. There are a number of analyst and advisor postions they could otherwise give them.
Gary Patterson as well once got baptized cause he was once dating a girl that was a member and wanted him to, but broke up and quit going, but still has his records in the church. At least that's a story I once saw on cougarboard.
GA is Catholic, he never was LDS. He's probably a Jack-Catholic (or what ever they call them).

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 28th, 2022, 2:17 pm

ViAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 12:11 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

GA is Catholic, he never was LDS. He's probably a Jack-Catholic (or what ever they call them).
Are you sure? He played his first two years of college ball at Ricks. Not a lot of no-Mos went to Ricks. I really don't know, but that just seems odd.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » January 28th, 2022, 3:30 pm

So if you are a member of the church, aren't a temple recommend holder, and you want to keep your job at BYU, would your best course of action be to have your name removed from the records of the church?

This is exactly why I hate BYU.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

sneed

Post by sneed » January 28th, 2022, 4:24 pm

918AGG wrote:So if you are a member of the church, aren't a temple recommend holder, and you want to keep your job at BYU, would your best course of action be to have your name removed from the records of the church?

This is only for future hires and current hires that want to be part of it. People with jobs there now don’t need opt-in to this program.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 28th, 2022, 8:21 pm

Seems unfair to jackmormons

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 28th, 2022, 8:55 pm

918AGG wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 3:30 pm
So if you are a member of the church, aren't a temple recommend holder, and you want to keep your job at BYU, would your best course of action be to have your name removed from the records of the church?

Yeah. They try to make everything binary. If it's not good, it's bad. Unfortunately, it's an analog world, and there's a lot of gray. No one is a comic book hero. No one is a comic book villain.

calaggie

Post by calaggie » January 28th, 2022, 9:03 pm

sneed wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 4:24 pm
918AGG wrote:So if you are a member of the church, aren't a temple recommend holder, and you want to keep your job at BYU, would your best course of action be to have your name removed from the records of the church?

This is only for future hires and current hires that want to be part of it. People with jobs there now don’t need opt-in to this program.
Yeah, I’m sure it’s completely voluntary. No pressure.

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » January 28th, 2022, 9:42 pm

LKGates wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 8:55 pm
918AGG wrote:

Yeah. They try to make everything binary. If it's not good, it's bad. Unfortunately, it's an analog world, and there's a lot of gray. No one is a comic book hero. No one is a comic book villain.
That’s where you’re wrong my friend….wait…I’ve said too much.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 28th, 2022, 10:26 pm

LKGates wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 2:17 pm
ViAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Are you sure? He played his first two years of college ball at Ricks. Not a lot of no-Mos went to Ricks. I really don't know, but that just seems odd.
100% sure that GA was never LDS and was raised Catholic, I know this for a fact.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 29th, 2022, 5:30 pm

ViAggie wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 10:26 pm
LKGates wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 2:17 pm
ViAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

100% sure that GA was never LDS and was raised Catholic, I know this for a fact.
Interesting. That makes his choice to start his college career at Ricks even more... puzzling.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » February 1st, 2022, 2:18 pm

918AGG wrote:

This is exactly why I hate [the LDS Church]
Fixed it for you. I think this is an LDS Church wide policy. Not strictly a BYU policy

My guess is same ruling applies for BYU Hawaii, idaho, Provo, or any Church employment

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » February 1st, 2022, 3:16 pm

So wait... if someone gets baptized, can they not work for BYU in any capacity for at least a year? But if they don't get baptized, they can work for them immediately? Seems counterintuitive.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » February 1st, 2022, 5:00 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
February 1st, 2022, 3:16 pm
So wait... if someone gets baptized, can they not work for BYU in any capacity for at least a year? But if they don't get baptized, they can work for them immediately? Seems counterintuitive.
They don't do the mandatory "wait a year to attend the temple" after baptism anymore.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » February 1st, 2022, 5:23 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
February 1st, 2022, 5:00 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
They don't do the mandatory "wait a year to attend the temple" after baptism anymore.
You saying people can get endowed immediately after baptism?

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » February 1st, 2022, 8:24 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
February 1st, 2022, 5:23 pm
BearLakeMonster wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
It's on a case by case basis, but yeah.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » February 1st, 2022, 11:08 pm

I like what “Old Blue” once said. We are all Universalists, therefore, we are all going be together in a next life we will be judged by our goodness, the badness will be taken care of by our Lord, unless your Frank Of Las Cruces, or you are a lot of BYU dweebs and nerds. Can you picture yourself with BYU types? Yeah, me too I thought so. That would be my HELL!

bullshot

Post by bullshot » February 4th, 2022, 1:46 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
February 1st, 2022, 5:23 pm
BearLakeMonster wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
I was already (well) endowed before baptism

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » February 5th, 2022, 4:47 pm

This whole thing reeks of BYU nonsense, just because some human mortal man deems you are worthy, does NOt indicate one iota a person’s status with the Almighty.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » February 5th, 2022, 5:57 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:This whole thing reeks of BYU nonsense, just because some human mortal man deems you are worthy, does NOt indicate one iota a person’s status with the Almighty.
Yeah. No sense in trying to make sense of something that has never made sense to begin with. It’s quite hilarious that school is as big as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » February 13th, 2022, 8:18 am

For many years in the 50's and 60's my aunt was one of the very few non-members employed at BYU. She was loyal employee, donated to the school and had season FB tickets. Her husband and two of her three children were members. Seems a shame to deprive an organization of such an employee.

About the same time, President Wilkinson was determined to bring about improvement in campus appearance. He hired a man named Brewster from LSU as head of buildings and grounds. Brewster was the only non-member in the university administration but he fit in very well and everyone called him "Brother Brewster."

But he had two sons ready for college and was concerned about them attending BYU so he sent them to USU and both were baptized by Thanksgiving.
These users thanked the author BobWilson for the post:
AGinNEIowa

Locked Previous topicNext topic