Holy Utah Jazz

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
slcagg

Re: Holy Utah Jazz

Post by slcagg » May 3rd, 2021, 9:23 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 12:46 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 12:38 pm
May 2nd, 2021, 10:39 am
Good gritty win last night against the Raptors. Everybody talks about wanting to avoid the Lakers and Clippers until the conference finals, but the Nuggets even without Murray will still be a challenge for whoever gets them in the playoffs, especially if Will Barton comes back. They just won in LA and are currently the 3 seed.
Man maybe the 2 seed is the ideal spot if Denver gets the 3. Away from the lakers anyways.
Yeah at this point I could see the Clippers vs Lakers playing in the 4-5. We'll see how it shakes out. After round 1, there won't be an easy series.
Could the lakers end up at 7? Haha that would be great but unfortunate if Utah ends up the 2 seed.

When is Donovan coming back? Utah def has an easier schedule than Phoenix...but Phoenix is healthier.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 3rd, 2021, 11:24 am

slcagg wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 9:23 am
slcagg wrote:
Good gritty win last night against the Raptors. Everybody talks about wanting to avoid the Lakers and Clippers until the conference finals, but the Nuggets even without Murray will still be a challenge for whoever gets them in the playoffs, especially if Will Barton comes back. They just won in LA and are currently the 3 seed.
Man maybe the 2 seed is the ideal spot if Denver gets the 3. Away from the lakers anyways.
Yeah at this point I could see the Clippers vs Lakers playing in the 4-5. We'll see how it shakes out. After round 1, there won't be an easy series.
Could the lakers end up at 7? Haha that would be great but unfortunate if Utah ends up the 2 seed.

When is Donovan coming back? Utah def has an easier schedule than Phoenix...but Phoenix is healthier.
He'll be reevaluated in a week. My guess is they'll keep him out until about a week before the playoffs. Let him get a few games in to get back in the swing of things and then play 40 minutes a night in the playoffs.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 3rd, 2021, 11:39 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 11:24 am
slcagg wrote:
slcagg wrote:

He'll be reevaluated in a week. My guess is they'll keep him out until about a week before the playoffs. Let him get a few games in to get back in the swing of things and then play 40 minutes a night in the playoffs.
Aren’t the playoffs only about a week and half out?

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 3rd, 2021, 12:23 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 11:39 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 11:24 am
slcagg wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Aren’t the playoffs only about a week and half out?
Yeah, but the play in tournament is the first few days. My guess is Don will stay out until the last 1-2 games of the season.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 3rd, 2021, 10:47 pm

slcagg wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Lakers could end up in the 7th, but I would imagine they start playing better with AD getting more comfortable and Lebron getting healthier. Lebron didn't play tonight, but they still beat a good Nuggets team.

Donovan and Conley will both be ready to go by the playoffs. The real playoffs don't start until May 22nd so they have plenty of time.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
slcagg

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 4th, 2021, 9:53 am

There is an argument that it might be best to play the Lakers in the first round before they get their feet under them.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 4th, 2021, 10:45 am

brownjeans wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 9:53 am
There is an argument that it might be best to play the Lakers in the first round before they get their feet under them.
I have fallen into the trap of standings watching like everyone else a million times, and though I realize that it really doesn't matter (if you want to win the championship, you are going to have to go through some good teams to do it) of course that won't stop me from analyzing it nonstop anyway. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope the team just takes the attitude that it doesn't matter, because I do think that teams that intentionally try to avoid any particular opponent have already mentally beaten themselves. These other teams have to beat us.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggiebrownjeans

Formerly TulsAGGIE

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » May 4th, 2021, 11:57 am

The standings watching does make a bit more sense for Jazz fans for The sole purpose of the jazz being so dominate at home. Home game 7’s are huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 4th, 2021, 7:12 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 11:57 am
The standings watching does make a bit more sense for Jazz fans for The sole purpose of the jazz being so dominate at home. Home game 7’s are huge.

Yep, even with fewer fans the Jazz are 28-4 at home compared to 19-14 on the road. Give me the 1 seed and homecourt.
3rdGenAggie

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 5th, 2021, 1:00 pm

Homecourt is especially important given that most Covid restrictions are being lifted in Utah. It wouldn't surprise me if Vivint Arena allows max or near max capacity at some point in the playoffs.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 5th, 2021, 1:05 pm

LeBron will probably claim it isn't safe and force the NBA to put attendance caps on regardless of where the games are played. :joking:

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 5th, 2021, 1:52 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 1:05 pm
LeBron will probably claim it isn't safe and force the NBA to put attendance caps on regardless of where the games are played. :joking:
You know Lebron has never lost a first round playoff series in his entire career. It would be awesome if the Jazz were the first team to give him one.

Sneelock - You are right. Imagine getting a full arena at home and then playing a California team where they only have a few thousand?

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » May 5th, 2021, 2:24 pm

The NBA is the ones that need to approve a plan for fans in the stands. From the State side, they could have 100% capacity.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 5th, 2021, 2:46 pm

Aggiefan33 wrote:
May 5th, 2021, 2:24 pm
The NBA is the ones that need to approve a plan for fans in the stands. From the State side, they could have 100% capacity.
We are getting to the point where everybody who wants a vaccine can get a vaccine. I've now got both shots. Once we are at that point, there is no reason for stadiums not to be full again.
3rdGenAggie

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » May 5th, 2021, 8:54 pm

Not arguing with you on that. But my neighbor, a high ranking Jazz employee, has told me directly that the NBA and their people have to approve the arena reopening plans.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 7th, 2021, 9:31 pm

Great win by the Jazz. No Mitchell, no Conley and they still beat a good Nuggets team behind bogdanovic's 48 points.

Jokic shot 9 of 11, but the d on him was still good to frustrate him all night forcing him into making bad turnovers and quite frankly, if you hold the MVP of the league to only 11 shots you are doing something right.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
slcagg3rdGenAggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 7th, 2021, 9:33 pm

May 7th, 2021, 9:31 pm
Great win by the Jazz. No Mitchell, no Conley and they still beat a good Nuggets team behind bogdanovic's 48 points.

Jokic shot 9 of 11, but the d on him was still good to frustrate him all night forcing him into making bad turnovers and quite frankly, if you hold the MVP of the league to only 11 shots you are doing something right.
Huge win!

How many fans they letting in? Place looks around 50%
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 7th, 2021, 9:52 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:33 pm

Huge win!

You have a good eye. They're allowing 10k.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 7th, 2021, 9:57 pm

slcagg wrote:

Huge win!

Yep massive win. It looks like the Jazz will be the 1 seed now. Don't want to jinx it, but this was the last upper echelon team the Jazz play before the playoffs. 3 tanking teams, plus the Warriors and Blazers both in SLC. The national media has used the excuse of James Harden being out for why Brooklyn has been struggling, yet the Jazz now have 4 straight wins without 2 all stars.

And if it is true they are allowing 10,000, that is great! Go Jazz! I'll have to fly back to SLC for a playoff game.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 7th, 2021, 10:10 pm

May 7th, 2021, 9:57 pm
slcagg wrote:

Huge win!

Yep massive win. It looks like the Jazz will be the 1 seed now. Don't want to jinx it, but this was the last upper echelon team the Jazz play before the playoffs. 3 tanking teams, plus the Warriors and Blazers both in SLC. The national media has used the excuse of James Harden being out for why Brooklyn has been struggling, yet the Jazz now have 4 straight wins without 2 all stars.

And if it is true they are allowing 10,000, that is great! Go Jazz! I'll have to fly back to SLC for a playoff game.
Playoff games are fantastic in person.

On a separate note why did espn move to the lakers game. You have the number 1 and 3 team playing each other vs two teams battling it out for 6 seed. I mean I understand the answer just thought this game was supposed to be on espn.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 8th, 2021, 8:48 am

slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:10 pm
slcagg wrote:

Huge win!

On a separate note why did espn move to the lakers game. You have the number 1 and 3 team playing each other vs two teams battling it out for 6 seed. I mean I understand the answer just thought this game was supposed to be on espn.
Yeah love playoff games. I was at the last Jazz playoff win in SLC when they beat the Rockets in 2019. Of course they lost in 5, but it was still a great atmosphere. Other than the Spectrum, the Jazz have the top homecourt atmosphere in sports. (Of course i'm biased haha)

Yeah they should have moved that Lakers game, especially when it has been known for a week Lebron wasn't going to play. It was a good game, I watched the ending after the Jazz game, but obviously the Jazz-Nuggets game there was much more on the line.
slcagg

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » May 8th, 2021, 7:31 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Huge win!

50 > 10, must be a humanities major!

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 2):
slcagg3rdGenAggie

Hail Aggies!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 9th, 2021, 7:26 am

May 8th, 2021, 8:48 am
slcagg wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:10 pm
slcagg wrote:

Huge win!

Yeah love playoff games. I was at the last Jazz playoff win in SLC when they beat the Rockets in 2019. Of course they lost in 5, but it was still a great atmosphere. Other than the Spectrum, the Jazz have the top homecourt atmosphere in sports. (Of course i'm biased haha)

Yeah they should have moved that Lakers game, especially when it has been known for a week Lebron wasn't going to play. It was a good game, I watched the ending after the Jazz game, but obviously the Jazz-Nuggets game there was much more on the line.
Looking like the 4 and 5 seed is Dallas and Denver with the 3 seed being the clippers. Lakers could easily be the 7 seed. If that is the case you want that 1 seed.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
3rdGenAggie

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » May 9th, 2021, 8:43 pm

Are we not worried the Lakers won’t slip to the 8th seed?

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

stang

Post by stang » May 9th, 2021, 10:36 pm

TrueBlueFan wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 8:43 pm
Are we not worried the Lakers won’t slip to the 8th seed?
With the play-in games in place this year, they could very well end up playing the Jazz as either the 7 or 8 seed. Best-case scenario in terms of a first round matchup seems to be the Suns as the 2-seed and the Clippers and Lakers playing in the 3-6 game. Avoid the three scariest teams all the way until the WCF.

I'm not entirely convinced that playing the Lakers in round one would be a bad thing. They're playing really poorly right now and I'm almost rather see them now while they're trying to get back on track rather than later on once they get a chance to possibly figure it out. Of course, the same could be said of Utah with Mitchell and Conley still on the injury reports.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 9th, 2021, 10:42 pm

It's a longshot for the Lakers get to the six seed now. Portland is a game ahead and have the tiebreaker.

But I'm not worried about the Lakers. I don't think the Lakers are going to get their act together. Too many injuries. Too out of sorts. They won't go far in the playoffs.
Last edited by brownjeans on May 9th, 2021, 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 9th, 2021, 10:45 pm

brownjeans wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 10:42 pm
Lakers aren't going to get their act together. They won't go far in the playoffs.
They just beat Phoenix without LeBron tonight.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 9th, 2021, 10:49 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 10:45 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Lakers aren't going to get their act together. They won't go far in the playoffs.
They just beat Phoenix without LeBron tonight.
So. They also lost to Sacramento recently with both James and Davis
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
3rdGenAggie

stang

Post by stang » May 9th, 2021, 11:29 pm

brownjeans wrote:
It's a longshot for the Lakers get to the six seed now. Portland is a game ahead and have the tiebreaker.

But I'm not worried about the Lakers. I don't think the Lakers are going to get their act together. Too many injuries. Too out of sorts. They won't go far in the playoffs.
I wouldn't call it a longshot. Basketball Reference has the odds of them being the 6-seed at 15%. The Jazz definitely need to beat the Blazers on Wednesday though.

I'd love to write the Lakers off, but something tells me a team with two of the three best players in the world isn't just going to roll over in the playoffs. But I agree that they're certainly not unbeatable.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 10th, 2021, 7:17 am

Portland's last three games are tough. The Lakers need to basically win out. Possible, but they haven't been consistent, and need to stay healthy.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » May 10th, 2021, 2:59 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:52 pm
slcagg wrote:

Huge win!

They are allowing 1/3 capacity right now. About 6,700. I went to the Houston game Saturday and it didn't look quite as full in person as it did on TV during the Denver game.

RSL is allowing 10,000.

https://www.fox13now.com/sports/nba/jaz ... side-fans

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 10th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 2:59 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Huge win!

They are allowing 1/3 capacity right now. About 6,700. I went to the Houston game Saturday and it didn't look quite as full in person as it did on TV during the Denver game.

RSL is allowing 10,000.

Oh, that's why 10,000 was stuck in my brain. Thanks for the correction.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » May 10th, 2021, 3:08 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 3:01 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Huge win!

RSL is allowing 10,000.

Have you been to either since reopening? I was planning on going back to RSL games but they are stricter on Covid stuff than the Jazz. I think you can't eat or drink at your seat at RSL games but can at Jazz games.

Hope Vivint is full for the playoffs but that seems like a big jump. Maybe the WCF if they get that far.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 10th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 3:08 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Huge win!

RSL is allowing 10,000.

Have you been to either since reopening? I was planning on going back to RSL games but they are stricter on Covid stuff than the Jazz. I think you can't eat or drink at your seat at RSL games but can at Jazz games.

Hope Vivint is full for the playoffs but that seems like a big jump. Maybe the WCF if they get that far.
I haven't. I was offered a ticket to the Jazz-Nuggets game on Friday but had already committed to something I couldn't back out of.

I usually make it to a couple RSL games, but haven't yet.

stang

Post by stang » May 10th, 2021, 4:41 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 3:08 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Huge win!

RSL is allowing 10,000.

I haven't. I was offered a ticket to the Jazz-Nuggets game on Friday but had already committed to something I couldn't back out of.

I usually make it to a couple RSL games, but haven't yet.
RSL is a lot of fun so far this year. I haven’t been able to get to a game yet either but I’m definitely going to make it to a few.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic