Dwade is now an owner of the Jazz

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Dwade is now an owner of the Jazz

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 16th, 2021, 10:41 am

Interesting.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/312 ... hands-role

It definitely can't hurt having him on board when trying to acquire free agents.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Re: Dwade is now an owner of the Jazz

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 16th, 2021, 10:50 am

That's pretty cool. I am still confident with Ryan Smith owning the majority, the team will stay in Utah so bringing in somebody like DWade can't hurt and will probably help.

That article is also the first I've heard of other investors who went in with Ryan Smith. Mike Cannon-Brooks is Australian with a net worth of $6 billion. I remember RS saying one time that he'd like to make the Jazz Australia's team...Cannon-Brooks' investment is probably a big part why.

Also, a venture capitalist named Ryan Sweeney.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 16th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Reading the article...

Maybe a different topic, but I feel rather unexcited about owners using teams as tools for pushing their personal social causes. Regardless of their specific cause and whether I agree or disagree, sports has been a refuge from those things for me. The insertion of social causes into sports may weaken my interest and send me, my time, and money, elsewhere to find sanctuary.

Not saying they need to shut up and play ball, but saying they should take care to not spoil the value the product provides to their customers.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 16th, 2021, 12:53 pm

brownjeans wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 12:34 pm
Reading the article...

Maybe a different topic, but I feel rather unexcited about owners using teams as tools for pushing their personal social causes. Regardless of their specific cause and whether I agree or disagree, sports has been a refuge from those things for me. The insertion of social causes into sports may weaken my interest and send me, my time, and money, elsewhere to find sanctuary.

Not saying they need to shut up and play ball, but saying they should take care to not spoil the value the product provides to their customers.
I agree - I have generally considered sports as a reprise from those "heavier" social issues. I can enjoy and appreciate the skill and athleticism of the participants without paying attention to their ethnicity or knowing their politics. I like that.

As far as team owners using the franchise and the eyes watching their franchise on television every night to push an agenda, I guess it's not much different than MSNBC, or CNN, or Fox News, or Google, or Coca Cola, or any other large, billion-dollar company. They all do it. They have the platform and the eyes/attention of millions and they know it and can push their agenda. I guess it's the American way.

Eutaw St. Aggie

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 16th, 2021, 1:01 pm

Ryan Smith is VERY likely the "wokest" owner in the league. That will come with some real benefits, but I do think the Jazz organization will be very politically active under him.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
jackattack

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 16th, 2021, 2:14 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 1:01 pm
Ryan Smith is VERY likely the "wokest" owner in the league. That will come with some real benefits, but I do think the Jazz organization will be very politically active under him.
I know Utah tried to institute one of the transgender bills that many states are now either passing or discussing. Ryan Smith stepped in and was one of the reasons it died in the state legislature. Smart economic decision. Had that passed, Utah would have lost the all star game in 2 years, hosting the ncaa tournament, not to mention other big events.

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » April 16th, 2021, 2:21 pm

Anybody who thinks sports and social issues aren't deeply intertwined hasn't been paying much attention for the past century.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Zaggie07 for the post:
tetonaggie

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 16th, 2021, 2:22 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 2:14 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
I know Utah tried to institute one of the transgender bills that many states are now either passing or discussing. Ryan Smith stepped in and was one of the reasons it died in the state legislature. Smart economic decision. Had that passed, Utah would have lost the all star game in 2 years, hosting the ncaa tournament, not to mention other big events.
From an economic standpoint, that was a good idea.

stang

Post by stang » April 16th, 2021, 2:25 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
He's also the youngest owner in the league, by far. In a league which has had nutjobs like Donald Sterling, Dan Gilbert, Robert Sarver and James Dolan running teams, having someone who is young and pushes for progressive thinking is very valuable. I love adding a well-respected guy like Dwyane Wade to the mix.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 16th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Zaggie07 wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 2:21 pm
Anybody who thinks sports and social issues aren't deeply intertwined hasn't been paying much attention for the past century.

Yep. And very few people actually care unless it is something that bothers them. Most of the same people that argue against "politics in sports" are the same people that demand the national anthem be played and every player being forced to stand for it before every single game. If someone truly wanted politics out of sports, they would have celebrated Mark Cuban's decision early in the season to not play the national anthem, but instead he got attacked for it.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 16th, 2021, 2:34 pm

Zaggie07 wrote:

I mean, sure, but how often were players expected to put political slogans on their jerseys before last summer?

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » April 16th, 2021, 2:51 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
Zaggie07 wrote:

I mean, sure, but how often were players expected to put political slogans on their jerseys before last summer?
Every (or almost every) MLB player wears Jackie Robinson's #42 on one day each year.

Players didn't have to put slogans on their jerseys. LeBron didn't, neither did AD or Jimmy Butler.

These users thanked the author Zaggie07 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieAggie formerly in Hawaii

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 16th, 2021, 3:56 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 2:22 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
From an economic standpoint, that was a good idea.
This here father of daughters could give a $4177 about the economics of bullying thieves stealing girls' opportunities.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

jackattack

Post by jackattack » May 1st, 2021, 9:51 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
Says who?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 1st, 2021, 10:38 pm

jackattack wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 9:51 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Says who?
Says who that it was a smart economic decision? Well, let's look at Charlotte. Charlotte lost the NBA all star game in 2017 over a North Carolina anti-transgender law. When that law was repealed, Charlotte hosted the 2019 all star game. Hosting all star weekend brought 87.7 million dollars to the city of Charlotte in 2019. It was the largest single sporting event Charlotte ever hosted. So yes, Salt Lake City which is a smaller city than Charlotte, getting to host all star weekend is a big deal and it was smart for Smith to make sure that wasn't taken away from the city.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 2nd, 2021, 12:31 am

May 1st, 2021, 10:38 pm
jackattack wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Says who?
Says who that it was a smart economic decision? Well, let's look at Charlotte. Charlotte lost the NBA all star game in 2017 over a North Carolina anti-transgender law. When that law was repealed, Charlotte hosted the 2019 all star game. Hosting all star weekend brought 87.7 million dollars to the city of Charlotte in 2019. It was the largest single sporting event Charlotte ever hosted. So yes, Salt Lake City which is a smaller city than Charlotte, getting to host all star weekend is a big deal and it was smart for Smith to make sure that wasn't taken away from the city.
I'm all for sports but these numbers are highly inflated and do not consider any level of opportunity cost. It's the same numbers that people push to force taxpayers to pay for absurd stadiums when those numbers never pan out.

They get to these numbers by surveying how much visitors' for the all-star game spend. These numbers are also largely self-reported by people with vested interest in getting cities to pay a lot of money to subsidize stadiums, arenas, and all star games.

Most of that money is not "generated" for "SLC". It goes into Hilton, Marriott, Darden, and the revenue of other publicly traded companies. None of which will be HQd in Salt Lake City.

It does help some restaurants that are locally owned in & around the venues but those restaurants are usually always at capacity regardless. The restaurants that people want to eat or drink at before/after they attend the ASG are often restaurants that would have long lines out the door on a weekend regardless of if there is a game or not.

It's also extremely corrupt of the Jazz, the NBA, the NCAA, and Utah elected officials to have a deal such as you allege.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 2nd, 2021, 12:57 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 12:31 am
jackattack wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Says who?
I'm all for sports but these numbers are highly inflated and do not consider any level of opportunity cost. It's the same numbers that people push to force taxpayers to pay for absurd stadiums when those numbers never pan out.

They get to these numbers by surveying how much visitors' for the all-star game spend. These numbers are also largely self-reported by people with vested interest in getting cities to pay a lot of money to subsidize stadiums, arenas, and all star games.

Most of that money is not "generated" for "SLC". It goes into Hilton, Marriott, Darden, and the revenue of other publicly traded companies. None of which will be HQd in Salt Lake City.

It does help some restaurants that are locally owned in & around the venues but those restaurants are usually always at capacity regardless. The restaurants that people want to eat or drink at before/after they attend the ASG are often restaurants that would have long lines out the door on a weekend regardless of if there is a game or not.

It's also extremely corrupt of the Jazz, the NBA, the NCAA, and Utah elected officials to have a deal such as you allege.
It would be a big moneymaker for the state that would bring in a ton of revenue and boost the economy. If you can prove the revenue amount listed isn't pefect, that doesn't change that.

What is the corruption you are alluding to? The NBA and other sports can put their all star game wherever they want. If you have laws they don't like, they can use that power to move it somewhere else. I worked in the state legislature many years ago. Business owners lobby for and against things all the time that they believe will hurt their business. There is nothing corrupt about what Ryan Smith did. There is a reason Utah governor Cox came out against it. He knows it would hurt the economy of the state.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 2nd, 2021, 1:26 am

May 2nd, 2021, 12:57 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
jackattack wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Says who?

You are saying that filling the Hilton and Marriott in Salt Lake City is not a benefit to the economy of the city? Full hotels bring more revenue into the city, not just at that specific hotel, but those people are going to spend their money throughout the city. Restaurants, especially at the gateway greatly benefit from when the Jazz play. I dated a girl that worked at Tucanos at the Gateway. She hated working the nights of Jazz games because she knew they were going to be crazy busy. That obviously would become far greater for all star weekend. Even if the revenue amount isn't 100% accurate, the all star game is a big deal for the city economically.

What is the corruption? The NBA and other sports can put their all star game wherever they want. If you have laws they don't like, they can use that power to move it somewhere else. I interned in the state legislature. Business owners lobby for and against things all the time that they believe will hurt their business. There is nothing corrupt about what Ryan Smith did.
Not really. Once you run out of tables you run out of tables. Basic business,. Hopefully you aren't a Huntsman grad.

And no, money that goes into Hilton does not significantly benefit the city. Especially because it's only adding the marginal premium time the tax rate. Hotels in cities are often near capacity. Employees aren't paid "extra" at the hotels, and the profit goes purely to whichever REIT own the hotel and the chain itself. Guess who owns the Downtown Marriott in SLC? A REIT from Bethesda, MD.

I agree they can move somewhere else- but it is corrupt to threaten or promise something of value in return for a policy action. It's not necessarily illegal, but it is corrupt.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 2nd, 2021, 7:19 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
jackattack wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Says who?

Since the whole mlb and Atlanta fiasco I’ve wondered how they put those numbers together. Seems inflated to me and really a way to sell to the general public. How has a all star game actually helped individual citizens in a city or state as a whole? To your point a lot of the benefit goes back to the corporate locations. Plus also a very good point that a lot of the revenue is what you would call sunk revenue or in plain terms revenue that is already going to occur regardless. You can make numbers look good to justify your end cause.

And I agree I find it unfortunate to use these all star games as a way to force change of policy in a state. Either you commit to this policy or we are canceling. Lame.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 2nd, 2021, 8:45 am

jackattack wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Says who?
Assuming Smith had that power and was responsible for the nonvote, is it right that he has that power and invokes it on behalf of cowardly thieves stealing opportunities from our daughters and granddaughters?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » May 2nd, 2021, 8:55 am

As right as it is for cowards and thieves to bring other bills to the legislative floor.

Aged based vehicle registration
Draper prison
Any Bill that helps someone who donated money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 2nd, 2021, 10:23 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 1:26 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
jackattack wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Says who?

You are saying that filling the Hilton and Marriott in Salt Lake City is not a benefit to the economy of the city? Full hotels bring more revenue into the city, not just at that specific hotel, but those people are going to spend their money throughout the city. Restaurants, especially at the gateway greatly benefit from when the Jazz play. I dated a girl that worked at Tucanos at the Gateway. She hated working the nights of Jazz games because she knew they were going to be crazy busy. That obviously would become far greater for all star weekend. Even if the revenue amount isn't 100% accurate, the all star game is a big deal for the city economically.

What is the corruption? The NBA and other sports can put their all star game wherever they want. If you have laws they don't like, they can use that power to move it somewhere else. I interned in the state legislature. Business owners lobby for and against things all the time that they believe will hurt their business. There is nothing corrupt about what Ryan Smith did.
Not really. Once you run out of tables you run out of tables. Basic business,. Hopefully you aren't a Huntsman grad.

And no, money that goes into Hilton does not significantly benefit the city. Especially because it's only adding the marginal premium time the tax rate. Hotels in cities are often near capacity. Employees aren't paid "extra" at the hotels, and the profit goes purely to whichever REIT own the hotel and the chain itself. Guess who owns the Downtown Marriott in SLC? A REIT from Bethesda, MD.

I agree they can move somewhere else- but it is corrupt to threaten or promise something of value in return for a policy action. It's not necessarily illegal, but it is corrupt.
Yes, really. Are you really arguing the all star game doesn't generate money for a city? Since you claim to be an expert on this, please tell us what the city of Charlotte really made or in your case lost on the all star game? Talk to any legislature or business owner and they will tell you big events are big for the city. Hotels are not filled close to capacity on most weekends in Salt Lake. With the all star game, Comiccon, Sundance Film Festival, Outside Adventure Expo, etc. . . they do get filled. I know this firsthand since I used to manage an Airbnb in Salt Lake City. Big events like Sundance were awesome since we could double the price and it was still guaranteed to be filled. Obviously these events trickle into businesses throughout SLC.

And no it isn't corrupt. Nobody is entitled to anything in this world. If you have laws that a company doesn't like, you risk that company not wanting to have business in your city or state. Major businesses are very much involved in the legislative process. They lobby for and against bills all the time that they feel will help or hinder their bottom line.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on May 2nd, 2021, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 2nd, 2021, 10:27 am

slcagg wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 7:19 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
jackattack wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Says who?

Since the whole mlb and Atlanta fiasco I’ve wondered how they put those numbers together. Seems inflated to me and really a way to sell to the general public. How has a all star game actually helped individual citizens in a city or state as a whole? To your point a lot of the benefit goes back to the corporate locations. Plus also a very good point that a lot of the revenue is what you would call sunk revenue or in plain terms revenue that is already going to occur regardless. You can make numbers look good to justify your end cause.

And I agree I find it unfortunate to use these all star games as a way to force change of policy in a state. Either you commit to this policy or we are canceling. Lame.
Yeah you are wrong if you think big events don't help the economy. Go to Park City (or even SLC now) during Sundance compared to a normal day a week before or a week after. Yes winters in Park City are busy, but it is night and day how many people are there. Major restaurants not only get more business but when there are far more people it means less crowded restaurants get the overflow. Not to mention traffic to every other local business in the area.

Next you guys will argue the Super Bowl doesn't add anything to the local economy. I have business owner relatives in Phoenix that would tell you their bank account says differently, but believe what you want.

As for the Braves. Do you know the conditions the Braves set up for their move to Atlanta in 1965? It was to change the laws to prohibit segregation at sporting events. This was supported by corporate leaders who had business interests in the city. Do you also believe this was a corrupt decision too and they should have just stayed in their lane?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 2nd, 2021, 11:32 am

May 2nd, 2021, 10:23 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 1:26 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
jackattack wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Says who?

Yes, really. Are you really arguing the all star game doesn't generate money for a city? Since you claim to be an expert on this, please tell us what the city of Charlotte really made or in your case lost on the all star game? Talk to any legislature or business owner and they will tell you big events are big for the city. Hotels are not filled close to capacity on most weekends in Salt Lake. With the all star game, Comiccon, Sundance Film Festival, Outside Adventure Expo, etc. . . they do get filled. I know this firsthand since I used to manage an Airbnb in Salt Lake City. Big events like Sundance were awesome since we could double the price and it was still guaranteed to be filled. Obviously these events trickle into businesses throughout SLC.

And no it isn't corrupt. Nobody is entitled to anything in this world. If you have laws that a company doesn't like, you risk that company not wanting to have business in your city or state. Major businesses are very much involved in the legislative process. They lobby for and against bills all the time that they feel will help or hinder their bottom line.
I clearly stated “not really” that doesn’t mean “not at all”. My view is that the numbers are highly inflated because much of that money doesn’t stay in the community and some of that is allocating limited resources- often times in industries that struggle to price discriminate.

It’s very a very bad move of you to tie lobbying to money spent on favors. That IS illegal and the definition of corrupt. I don’t think it’s illegal to pull an all star game if you don’t like a decision. I DO think it’s corrupt to threaten the legislative process or reward the legislative process.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 2nd, 2021, 11:44 am

It is not corrupt at all to say; "look if you make this decision, this will happen." That is standard practice. State Senators frequently either meet with business leaders directly or business leaders testify before open committees on the impact of certain bills and what it will mean economically for the state. There is nothing wrong with Ryan Smith letting the state legislature know of the consequences to not just his business, but the economic impact to the state. If the legislature doesn't care, they can proceed with creating whatever law they want. Utah Governor Cox was against the bill, so it wasn't going to go far anyway.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 2nd, 2021, 12:01 pm

May 2nd, 2021, 10:27 am
slcagg wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 7:19 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
jackattack wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Says who?

Yeah you are wrong if you think big events don't help the economy. Go to Park City (or even SLC now) during Sundance compared to a normal day a week before or a week after. Yes winters in Park City are busy, but it is night and day how many people are there. Major restaurants not only get more business but when there are far more people it means less crowded restaurants get the overflow. Not to mention traffic to every other local business in the area.

Next you guys will argue the Super Bowl doesn't add anything to the local economy. I have business owner relatives in Phoenix that would tell you their bank account says differently, but believe what you want.

As for the Braves. Do you know the conditions the Braves set up for their move to Atlanta in 1965? It was to change the laws to prohibit segregation at sporting events. This was supported by corporate leaders who had business interests in the city. Do you also believe this was a corrupt decision too and they should have just stayed in their lane?
Did I say it wouldnt generate money? I only said the numbers are over inflated in what they estimate brings to the state. So stop putting it as an absolute of what I said.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 2nd, 2021, 12:04 pm

May 2nd, 2021, 11:44 am
It is not corrupt at all to say; "look if you make this decision, this will happen." That is standard practice. State Senators frequently either meet with business leaders directly or business leaders testify before open committees on the impact of certain bills and what it will mean economically for the state. There is nothing wrong with Ryan Smith letting the state legislature know of the consequences to not just his business, but the economic impact to the state. If the legislature doesn't care, they can proceed with creating whatever law they want. Utah Governor Cox was against the bill, so it wasn't going to go far anyway.
You called it lobbying. If it’s lobbying it’s corrupt. If it’s a market reaction then it’s not. Too bad you said the quiet part out loud.

But I guess you have nothing else when you think a multi national corporation and a REIT both headquartered in Bethesda equals all of the money goes to Utah. You clearly have a less than high school level business acumen. Again, hopefully you aren’t a huntsman grad. If so, you should ask for a refund.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » May 2nd, 2021, 12:09 pm

Sandbox time.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 2nd, 2021, 12:26 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 12:04 pm
You called it lobbying. If it’s lobbying it’s corrupt. If it’s a market reaction then it’s not. Too bad you said the quiet part out loud.

But I guess you have nothing else when you think a multi national corporation and a REIT both headquartered in Bethesda equals all of the money goes to Utah. You clearly have a less than high school level business acumen. Again, hopefully you aren’t a huntsman grad. If so, you should ask for a refund.
Please point out where I said "all the money goes to Utah"? I have said having big events in your state like the All Star game and the other examples are great for the local economy which they are. As I've said over and over It is standard practice for business leaders to talk with legislatures about various bills and their impact on their business, just as it is for business leaders to testify before the State Senate and congress. That isn't corrupt at all. If your business is going to be hurt or helped by a potential law, you might testify as well. It is all out in the open and everybody does it and should do it. State legislatures should know the impact on their decisions. It happens at the city and county level too. I have been on both sides of these both working in the legislature and working in the private sector.

As for your childish insults, you are actually right! Haha. I don't have a business degree. Too bad, I was really looking forward to getting that refund.

What I do have is a real estate license and broker's license and have owned property, been a property manager as well as bought and sold property for over a decade. And I can tell you with first hand experience, big events are awesome not just for billionaires like Ryan Smith, but small businesses and retail stores that benefit from them. It is good to have as many come to your city as possible. The more conventions at the Salt Palace the better. Not just when your tenant has a percentage lease, but in general I like to see a good economy and people do well.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 2nd, 2021, 12:28 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 12:09 pm
Sandbox time.

Nah, I think both sides have made their points. It is pretty much going in circles. I'm done with it unless someone brings up a new point. Not much discussion on Dwade being an owner after the first few posts, but he does have a transgender daughter so obviously he has strong opinions on the issue.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 2nd, 2021, 12:32 pm

May 2nd, 2021, 12:26 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

Please point out where I said "all the money goes to Utah"? I have said having big events in your state like the All Star game and the other examples are great for the local economy which they are. As I've said over and over It is standard practice for business leaders to talk with legislatures about various bills and their impact on their business, just as it is for business leaders to testify before the State Senate and congress. That isn't corrupt at all. If your business is going to be hurt or helped by a potential law, you might testify as well. It is all out in the open and everybody does it and should do it. State legislatures should know the impact on their decisions. It happens at the city and county level too. I have been on both sides of these both working in the legislature and working in the private sector.

As for your childish insults, you are actually right! Haha. I don't have a business degree. Too bad, I was really looking forward to getting that refund.

What I do have is a real estate license and broker's license and have owned property, been a property manager as well as bought and sold property for over a decade. And I can tell you with first hand experience, big events are awesome not just for billionaires like Ryan Smith, but small businesses and retail stores that benefit from them. It is good to have as many come to your city as possible. The more conventions at the Salt Palace the better. Not just when your tenant has a percentage lease, but in general I like to see a good economy and people do well.

If you’re pushing the reported numbers, you are.

As for real estate, don’t think you’re the only one here with real estate interests.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 2nd, 2021, 12:39 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:

Cmon let’s not turn into personal insults. As a board we can do better than that.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 2nd, 2021, 1:01 pm

Imakeitrain - I never said I was the only one who had real estate interest. If someone on here has a different experience, they are welcome to share their experience. I have experience leasing out commercial buildings. You want as much foot traffic in them as possible and nearby big events such as conventions, festivals or sporting events do that. I have also had the opportunity to talk to several restaurant owners and have seen them benefit when big events are in their city. (I'd actually love to own a restaurant someday, probably won't happen for 10+ years though) You are right that 100% of the profits won't go to Utah residents when the All Star game is in Utah in 2023. (I'm not a current Utah resident and make some money off properties in Utah haha)

I think we both made our points though and we can leave it at that. Hope you have a good Sunday and go Aggies.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
USU78

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » May 2nd, 2021, 9:21 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
jackattack wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Says who?

Not to mention all the strippers and prostitutes that fly into town to meet demand. They take that money home with them.

Hail Aggies!

blueblood

Post by blueblood » May 2nd, 2021, 10:22 pm

The NBA all-star game in SLC will directly effect my employer and also myself. I work for a developer and they own a hotel very close to the Jazz arena. Not all hotels are owned by large REIT’s or big national chains. Our hotel is branded as a national chain and managed by a third party. But the profits made on operations all stay in Utah, not to mention all the jobs we provide. The last year has been brutal for the operations of our hotel. It will take years to make-up for all the losses. The all-star game will be great for our hotel. I hope things return to normal soon. Thankfully the hotel is just a small piece of the overall portfolio.

Locked Previous topicNext topic