Josh Uduje

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Re: Josh Uduje

Post by SLB » May 2nd, 2024, 12:38 pm

I figured that Uduje was done after adding Anderson.
Uduje had four major flaws for shooting 27.5%, low assists per game, and not that great size and speed combo.
Allen and Housley have flaws, but they had been proven point guards with a handle and passing the ball.
24 minutes per game
27.5% from 3
.9 assists per game
Last edited by SLB on May 2nd, 2024, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » May 2nd, 2024, 12:39 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 12:36 pm
Anybody else going to jump ship after the portal "has closed"?
Portal closed at midnight EST last night. But compliance has up to 48 hours to enter a name into portal. I'm guessing there are no more last minute surprises (like Josh), but wait until tomorrow night at midnight EST to be sure, lol.

Given the timing of the news, I am curious when Josh gave notice. I'm guessing it was shortly before the portal closed yesterday.

bpd

Post by bpd » May 2nd, 2024, 12:42 pm

Winning Team wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 11:37 am
It's just my opinion but I think that Coach really dropped the ball here. Josh is an elite senior guard winning sixth man of the year last year. He knows the MW and has proven, unlike some of these other recruits, that he can get it done in this league. Bringing in a flurry of guards not only pushed out a fan favorite who is legit as a player but also someone who wanted to be here.
This!
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
osuaggieAggie in Boise

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 2nd, 2024, 12:45 pm

bpd wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 12:42 pm
Winning Team wrote:
It's just my opinion but I think that Coach really dropped the ball here. Josh is an elite senior guard winning sixth man of the year last year. He knows the MW and has proven, unlike some of these other recruits, that he can get it done in this league. Bringing in a flurry of guards not only pushed out a fan favorite who is legit as a player but also someone who wanted to be here.
This!
Do you not support Calhoun bringing in Tucker or having Mason/Ian return? Those are the players that play the same position as Josh. I love Josh he is one of my favorite players. Just not sure how Calhoun dropped the ball by bringing in those players.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
bigblue32

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 2nd, 2024, 12:47 pm

What am I missing? It seems Josh wants a starting role and Calhoun couldn't promise one with Mason and Ian already on board. So where did Calhoun drop the ball? By not promising a starting gig?
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowaImportAggie

Hoot

Post by Hoot » May 2nd, 2024, 12:50 pm

TornbysportsAggie wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 12:28 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Winning Team wrote:
Which guards were brought in to replace Josh? Allen and Housely are point guards. Josh plays mostly the 3 with some at the 2. You could argue that Tucker may take some of Josh's minutes but not Allen and Housely. I guess the coach should just bring in scrap players with the rest of the roster.
It’s almost like Heard It First forewarned this would happen…

https://x.com/heard_it_first0/status/17 ... bYFGAO9EuA
You mean BLS?
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
CivEngAggie

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » May 2nd, 2024, 1:08 pm

SLB wrote:I figured that Uduje was done after adding Anderson.
Uduje had four major flaws for shooting 27.5%, low assists per game, and not that great size and speed combo.
Allen and Housley have flaws, but they had been proven point guards with a handle and passing the ball.
24 minutes per game
27.5% from 3
.9 assists per game
Bull (I can't express myself without swearing). You love to prophesy things. Where did you prophesy this after he tweeted he was coming back? I knew that you were going to post that you knew he was going to enter the portal after saying he wasn’t. I already know that you knew I knew this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post (total 2):
QuackAttackAggieReal Life Aggie

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » May 2nd, 2024, 1:13 pm

shoresy wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 12:11 pm
If I ever see another f*cking "I'm back" graphic it will be too soon
I don't disagree, but to be fair, things change, and things certainly changed for Josh over the past few weeks.

I think that it makes perfect sense for Josh - and the team - for Josh to move on.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post:
Aggie84025

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

shoresy

Post by shoresy » May 2nd, 2024, 1:19 pm

918AGG wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 1:13 pm
shoresy wrote:
I don't disagree, but to be fair, things change, and things certainly changed for Josh over the past few weeks.

I think that it makes perfect sense for Josh - and the team - for Josh to move on.
That's fine. I never mind a player or a coach leaving to pursue a better situation, in fact, I generally cheer for our former players/coaches at their next stop. Please, do what is best for you.

But save me the "running it back" "I'm not done" BS until you know that for a fact. I'm just sick of players getting fans hopes up with big, bold declarations that mean absolutely nothing.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025918AGG

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 2nd, 2024, 1:19 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 11:19 am
It's his last year and he wants to play overseas. He NEEDS as much court time as he can get to get his numbers up so there will be interest in him. He's a good kid and we loaded up on 2's and 3's. I don't blame him. He has long-term goals at stake.
I don't blame him at all. Looking at our current roster, there's not a lot of minutes to share especially if Mason also comes off the bench (in a scenario where Calhoun goes with a big lineup).

That said, I imagine there's a chance he doesn't find what he's looking for and returns. Let’s see if Calhoun fills that spot quickly or maybe he can have Great's scholarship if he leaves.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 2nd, 2024, 1:21 pm

Shame, I’d love to have him back, and I think he’d play a key role.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Aggie84025

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 2nd, 2024, 1:23 pm

shoresy wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 1:19 pm
918AGG wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 1:13 pm
shoresy wrote:

That's fine. I never mind a player or a coach leaving to pursue a better situation, in fact, I generally cheer for our former players/coaches at their next stop. Please, do what is best for you.

But save me the "running it back" "I'm not done" BS until you know that for a fact. I'm just sick of players getting fans hopes up with big, bold declarations that mean absolutely nothing.
Every situation is unique. I'll bet he had every intention and was excited to return not realizing Ian would come back and they'd recruit Anderson. But yeah these guys should probably cool it with the over the top "run it back" tweets at least until after the portal closes.

cval

Post by cval » May 2nd, 2024, 1:33 pm

You guys keep talking about Mason and Ian, but on this team, Anderson is the guy he would be sharing a position with.

I guess if you can recruit a better player than the one you have, you should do it.

I appreciate Josh, but his opportunity was going to be limited. Assuming good health, this will also be better for Mason, Ian, and Anderson.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » May 2nd, 2024, 1:55 pm

cval wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 1:33 pm
You guys keep talking about Mason and Ian, but on this team, Anderson is the guy he would be sharing a position with.

I guess if you can recruit a better player than the one you have, you should do it.

I appreciate Josh, but his opportunity was going to be limited. Assuming good health, this will also be better for Mason, Ian, and Anderson.
Both Ian and Mason will play some 3 too

The 2-3 depth chart was basically:
Ian
Mason
Uduje
Anderson
Albury
Allen
Housley

80 minutes a game between 4 main players, and 2 of them should get 25-28+, leaving 25-30 for Uduje/Anderson.

The last 3 will obviously be playing PG mainly but Albury is a pure scorer and could slide to the 2 at times also. Even if you put Uduje/Anderson at the 4 sometimes there just weren’t a ton of minutes to go around, Uduje can start and get 30+ as a main scoring threat somewhere
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » May 2nd, 2024, 2:17 pm

With Ian and Mason coming back the opportunity to start went away. It looks like he was OK with the six man role again but once Tucker signed he did probably didn't like the possibility of him losing more minutes.

We will miss him. I feel like he provides some toughness that will desperately need.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025cval

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 2nd, 2024, 2:28 pm

He didn't quite meet my expectations last season as he came in with a lot of hype, but I could definitely see his value to the team and he played the 6th man roll very well. He was a great ambassador and represented USU very well and was finally playing with more confidence and being more aggressive the last couple weeks of the season. I will miss Josh too. Best of luck. Hoping he doesn't end up transferring within the conference. Wouldn't be surprised to see him land at OSU or another WCC team, but he should have plenty of decent options. The recognition of MW 6th man will help his marketability as his pedestrian stats didn't tell the whole story.
Last edited by AGGIEinIOWA on May 2nd, 2024, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
cdaAg

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » May 2nd, 2024, 2:40 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 12:33 pm
TornbysportsAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Winning Team wrote:
Which guards were brought in to replace Josh? Allen and Housely are point guards. Josh plays mostly the 3 with some at the 2. You could argue that Tucker may take some of Josh's minutes but not Allen and Housely. I guess the coach should just bring in scrap players with the rest of the roster.

And 2 days after that Josh confirmed that we he has staying.

And then a couple of weeks later he left for good. It's going to be difficult to replace him.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

SLB

Post by SLB » May 2nd, 2024, 3:18 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 2:40 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 12:33 pm
TornbysportsAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Winning Team wrote:

And 2 days after that Josh confirmed that we he has staying.

And then a couple of weeks later he left for good. It's going to be difficult to replace him.
The issue that Uduje ran into was the issue of where would Uduje play.
Martinez and Anderson are the outside shooters with their 38.1% from 3.
Albury, Allen, and Housley are point guards.
Falslev is a scoring guard.
Last season, Uduje was a backup to Martinez and Falslev. Uduje is not a point guard.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » May 2nd, 2024, 7:49 pm

Uduje would’ve been in the same spot as last year but we basically replaced Jackson with a guy who averaged 14 ppg and shot 38% from 3 as a 6’8 wing.

Would’ve loved to have him back, but he knew his minutes ceiling was pretty capped here barring injury.

Maybe he ends up at Weber or a WCC school

Harcher

Post by Harcher » May 2nd, 2024, 7:55 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 11:53 am
gomretat wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 11:45 am
jprism wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 11:38 am
Winning Team wrote:It's just my opinion but I think that Coach really dropped the ball here. Josh is an elite senior guard winning sixth man of the year last year. He knows the MW and has proven, unlike some of these other recruits, that he can get it done in this league. Bringing in a flurry of guards not only pushed out a fan favorite who is legit as a player but also someone who wanted to be here.
Agreed
Add me to the list, particularly with what we are bringing in. Based upon what 22 said it sounds like he might the right call.
Me too. That's a huge bummer. Uduje is way underrated.
Agree. Loved his game

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 2nd, 2024, 7:58 pm

I don't think playing time had anything to do with it. It's obviously the start of the "DEPTH CURSE" that some of you just can't leave alone. :bangwall:

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » May 2nd, 2024, 8:32 pm

bpd wrote:
Winning Team wrote:
This!
The whole don't bring in talent, cause guys will leave is so stupid. If guys can't compete and leave, so be it. We needed size and shooting. I like Josh a lot but I'd take Tucker everyday especially if we get multiple seasons out of him.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 2nd, 2024, 8:38 pm

TrueAG wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 8:32 pm
bpd wrote:
Winning Team wrote:
This!
The whole don't bring in talent, cause guys will leave is so stupid. If guys can't compete and leave, so be it. We needed size and shooting. I like Josh a lot but I'd take Tucker everyday especially if we get multiple seasons out of him.
I’m going to miss Josh. Such a good dude and contributed majorly to an incredible season. I think we needed Anderson’s skills more however because Ian and Mason can give us what Uduje offered.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
LarryTheAggiecvalvalleyaggie21

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 2nd, 2024, 9:01 pm

Unless we sign a taller athletic wing I do think we lose some athleticism and specific defensive skills from Josh. Hopefully we replace those things with the final roster spots.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttAggie in Boise

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » May 2nd, 2024, 9:09 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:Uduje would’ve been in the same spot as last year but we basically replaced Jackson with a guy who averaged 14 ppg and shot 38% from 3 as a 6’8 wing.

Would’ve loved to have him back, but he knew his minutes ceiling was pretty capped here barring injury.

Or Oregon State

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » May 2nd, 2024, 9:16 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 9:09 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:Uduje would’ve been in the same spot as last year but we basically replaced Jackson with a guy who averaged 14 ppg and shot 38% from 3 as a 6’8 wing.

Or Oregon State

Oregon St is a WCC school. In everything but football
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post:
NVAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 2nd, 2024, 10:15 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 9:16 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 9:09 pm

Or Oregon State

Oregon St is a WCC school. In everything but football
HI OH!!!!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
bigblue32

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » May 2nd, 2024, 10:52 pm

I could see him going to New Mexico and starting alongside Dent

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » May 2nd, 2024, 10:54 pm

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 10:52 pm
It would suck if he goes to another MW team.

SLB

Post by SLB » May 3rd, 2024, 12:19 am

Post-Uduje 3-point shooting ranked by most 3 point attempts per minute in the 23-24 season
1) Anderson 38.1%
2) Martinez 38.1%
3) Johnson 34.2%
4) Housley 27.2%
5) Falslev 30.5%
5) Allen 23.2%
6) Albury 36.4%
Uduje on 3s shot 27.5% and nearly the same number of 3s per minute as Housley.
The current starting guards/6th man is Albury, Martinez, Falslev, and Anderson
Projected Starting Bigs Johnson and Gateretse

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 3rd, 2024, 5:32 am

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
He’s be competing for a starter spot there as well with the north Texas and Arizona transfer.

Aggie37

Post by Aggie37 » May 3rd, 2024, 6:30 am

bluegrouse wrote:
May 2nd, 2024, 10:54 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
It would suck if he goes to another MW team.
Expect Uduje to end up at Oregon State. Chris Haslam and he are close and he could be a starter there. Going to miss him, but he should go somewhere where he can get 30 minutes a game.

Uduje played 30 minutes a game at Coastal Carolina before he came to USU. No guarantee that happens with Martinez and Anderson who will also play the small forward / wing at the 3. We are deep and will be okay, but I would have like him on this roster.
These users thanked the author Aggie37 for the post:
osuaggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic