What if Sprinkle had stayed?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Dkdavis

What if Sprinkle had stayed?

Post by Dkdavis » April 22nd, 2024, 6:34 pm

If Sprinkle had stayed, which players that got minutes this year would have left? I'm honestly amazed to see no one go with him. It's crazy how I went from thinking Sprinkle was the best coach and that we needed to do everything we could to keep him to questioning whether he would succeed at his next school. I still think he's a good coach, but I'm also realizing how blue my googles were.

Aggie in Boise

Re: What if Sprinkle had stayed?

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 22nd, 2024, 6:40 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 6:34 pm
If Sprinkle had stayed, which players that got minutes this year would have left? I'm honestly amazed to see no one go with him. It's crazy how I went from thinking Sprinkle was the best coach and that we needed to do everything we could to keep him to questioning whether he would succeed at his next school. I still think he's a good coach, but I'm also realizing how blue my googles were.
Hopefully, you will soon feel the same way about Calhoun.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 22nd, 2024, 6:43 pm

Pretty soon people are going to start to realize it’s USU that’s special, not necessarily the coaches.

I am firmly convinced that USU will make average coaches look good and good coaches look great.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 22):
Zaggie07bigblue32Section_L_AggieLarryTheAggieAggie84025Aggie702Aggiedog58Aggie in BoiseFullEngineeringAggie and 12 more users

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 22nd, 2024, 6:56 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 6:43 pm
Pretty soon people are going to start to realize it’s USU that’s special, not necessarily the coaches.

I am firmly convinced that USU will make average coaches look good and good coaches look great.
This. The fact the Tim Duryea was able to win half his games here says a lot.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionViAggie

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » April 22nd, 2024, 7:18 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 6:56 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

This. The fact the Tim Duryea was able to win half his games here says a lot.
I remember how jarring it was watching a Craig Smith coached team and watch them actually run an offense as opposed to a Duryea coached team the year before; where it looked like he just rolled the ball out and said “make baskets”. It was especially surprising since Duryea sat next to Stew Morrill for so long, who was considered one of the best X’s and O’s Coaches during his time.
These users thanked the author greggers1868 for the post (total 2):
Aggie in BoiseFloridaAggie13

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » April 22nd, 2024, 7:40 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

I’ve stated this multiple times since there were talks of
Sprinkle leaving. I wholeheartedly agree. It’s the tradition and atmosphere, not the coach.
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
ViAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 22nd, 2024, 7:54 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 7:40 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Sprinkle leaving. I wholeheartedly agree. It’s the tradition and atmosphere, not the coach.
I mean, the coach has to be good too, but I think just about any coach is going to look better here than at most places.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 22nd, 2024, 8:32 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 7:54 pm
Usu0505 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

I mean, the coach has to be good too, but I think just about any coach is going to look better here than at most places.
Utah state has proven if you hire a guy who has been even a decent HC somewhere else they'll find success at USU. It is when the hire has been a question mark (plain, khon and duryea) that it doesn't work out. Calhoun was good at Youngstown State. If he doesn't have success at USU he'll be bucking some serious long term trends that have gone back decades. I think he'll do just fine

bpd

Post by bpd » April 22nd, 2024, 8:35 pm

Let’s pump the brakes on this a little. Smith, Odom, and Sprinkle are all good coaches. Calhoun hasn’t coached a game at Utah State yet.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
quirkyReal Life Aggie

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 22nd, 2024, 8:35 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 8:32 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 7:54 pm
Usu0505 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Utah state has proven if you hire a guy who has been even a decent HC somewhere else they'll find success at USU. It is when the hire has been a question mark (plain, khon and duryea) that it doesn't work out. Calhoun was good at Youngstown State. If he doesn't have success at USU he'll be bucking some serious long term trends that have gone back decades. I think he'll do just fine
I agree, I just hope the fan base has some patience with a new coach. Last year was lightning in a bottle.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 22nd, 2024, 8:46 pm

bpd wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 8:35 pm
Let’s pump the brakes on this a little. Smith, Odom, and Sprinkle are all good coaches. Calhoun hasn’t coached a game at Utah State yet.
Agreed. But I'm petty. Therefore, I enjoy the fact that neither Smith or Odom have made the tourney since they left USU. And none of our players/recruits have followed Sprinkle (yet). Even Odom got Shulga and Bairstow to go with.

As far as I know, Sprinks has only signed one guy so far (a rice transfer) and a key big man he was going after (Oregon St transfer) picked UCLA.

In the long run, all three will be fine and win plenty of games.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post:
CastIronAggie

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » April 22nd, 2024, 8:48 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 8:46 pm
bpd wrote:
Agreed. But I'm petty. Therefore, I enjoy the fact that neither Smith or Odom have made the tourney since they left USU. And none of our players/recruits have followed Sprinkle (yet). Even Odom got Shulga and Bairstow to go with.

As far as I know, Sprinks has only signed one guy so far (a rice transfer) and a key big man he was going after (Oregon St transfer) picked UCLA.

But Smith was able to do something at Utah that USU has not done… win in the NIT…
These users thanked the author BioAggie for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 12:14 pm

BioAggie wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 8:48 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
bpd wrote:

But Smith was able to do something at Utah that USU has not done… win in the NIT…
I'll take two games in the NCAA over getting into the semi-finals in the NIT ANY DAY of the week!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 12:30 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:14 pm
BioAggie wrote:
Aggie702 wrote:
bpd wrote:

I'll take two games in the NCAA over getting into the semi-finals in the NIT ANY DAY of the week!
Me too! 100%
I’m just say he took a crappy Utah program and has turned them around. If he had done this at USU after the D-word years instead of going to the NCAAs as we did, we would have been as happy as ever.

I don’t regret the path we have taken, but had things been different, we would not have had any referees there either.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 23rd, 2024, 1:12 pm

What if? NOBODY CARES!

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 23rd, 2024, 4:13 pm

BioAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:30 pm
ViAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:14 pm
BioAggie wrote:
Aggie702 wrote:
bpd wrote:

Me too! 100%
I’m just say he took a crappy Utah program and has turned them around. If he had done this at USU after the D-word years instead of going to the NCAAs as we did, we would have been as happy as ever.

I don’t regret the path we have taken, but had things been different, we would not have had any referees there either.
He improved them from where he took over, but he'll have to go to the dance next year to keep his job. He also only went on a NIT run because all the games were at home. Once they played a road game in the NIT(Indiana State close to their campus) they did what they did all of last year away from home and lost.

He'll have to do it without Carlson, Deivon Smith and Nebraska bound Rollie Worster(maybe he'll play football and lead Nebraska back to glory). I bet next year is Smith's last year in Utah.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » April 23rd, 2024, 5:35 pm

This thread brings to surface something I had not thought about. With unlimited transfers coaches at lower tier programs that have success will have even less incentive to stick around after a good year simply because they run the risk of getting all their players poached and having to build from scratch all over again. Just as easy now to start from scratch at a new location that pays more. P5’s may start to cycle through coaches faster with some one hit wonders entering their ranks. I wonder if the coaching carrossel will start to spiral even further out of control.
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post:
guxiyou

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 23rd, 2024, 5:41 pm

nswaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 5:35 pm
This thread brings to surface something I had not thought about. With unlimited transfers coaches at lower tier programs that have success will have even less incentive to stick around after a good year simply because they run the risk of getting all their players poached and having to build from scratch all over again. Just as easy now to start from scratch at a new location that pays more. P5’s may start to cycle through coaches faster with some one hit wonders entering their ranks. I wonder if the coaching carrossel will start to spiral even further out of control.
Nah, coaches at lower tier programs weren't rejecting offers before when they had one good year.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » April 23rd, 2024, 7:01 pm

I said at the time Sprinkle would stay, but he made a very poor decision going to,a school that is in transition fro PAC. To B1G. He will be under more pressure and could regret the hasty departure, money is not everything.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » April 23rd, 2024, 7:08 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 5:41 pm
nswaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 5:35 pm
Nah, coaches at lower tier programs weren't rejecting offers before when they had one good year.
I get what you are saying but there were exceptions.Dusty May could have left Florida Atlantic a year ago, Stew stuck around, all I’m saying is those types will now be less likely to stick and wait out the right opportunity when all their players are gonna get poached.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 23rd, 2024, 7:29 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 7:01 pm
I said at the time Sprinkle would stay, but he made a very poor decision going to,a school that is in transition fro PAC. To B1G. He will be under more pressure and could regret the hasty departure, money is not everything.
The irony is the fact after costs the amount between Utah State's highest offer vs Washington is not that much different in amount of money.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 23rd, 2024, 7:42 pm

SLB wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 7:29 pm
Jjoey52 wrote:
The irony is the fact after costs the amount between Utah State's highest offer vs Washington is not that much different in amount of money.
Great point. When you factor total compensation with salary, assistant coaches salary pool, and NIL budget, it was probably only about $4M/year more at Washington.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiReal Life Aggie

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » April 23rd, 2024, 7:48 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 7:42 pm
SLB wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:
Great point. When you factor total compensation with salary, assistant coaches salary pool, and NIL budget, it was probably only about $4M/year more at Washington.
From the UW fans I interact with, they’re all saying Danny has been pleading for more NIL for basketball. Not joking. Apparently their biggest booster is in wait and see mode with Basketball NIL. Turns out most dollars are very much earmarked for football 🤷‍♂️

Nearly verbatim the speech he gave here
These users thanked the author bigblue32 for the post:
SLB

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 23rd, 2024, 7:51 pm

bigblue32 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 7:48 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
SLB wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:
From the UW fans I interact with, they’re all saying Danny has been pleading for more NIL for basketball. Not joking. Apparently their biggest booster is in wait and see mode with Basketball NIL. Turns out most dollars are very much earmarked for football 🤷‍♂️

lol does that mean he got misled twice in a row about available NIL?!

It was reported they were ponying up $3.5M for NIL budget for him.

I will say that the former byu basketball player close to the Ashworth family told me Washington offered Ashworth $600k last year.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 23rd, 2024, 8:03 pm

bigblue32 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
SLB wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:

What I figured
There are the housing costs, taxes, private security costs, and etc. that add up.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 23rd, 2024, 8:07 pm

SLB wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 8:03 pm
bigblue32 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
SLB wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:

What I figured
There are the housing costs, taxes, private security costs, and etc. that add up.
And for a single non mormon dude a way better quality of life and double the money but we can pretend

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » April 24th, 2024, 8:02 pm

TrueAG wrote:
SLB wrote:
bigblue32 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
SLB wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:
From the UW fans I interact with, they’re all saying Danny has been pleading for more NIL for basketball. Not joking. Apparently their biggest booster is in wait and see mode with Basketball NIL. Turns out most dollars are very much earmarked for football Image

What I figured
And for a single non mormon dude a way better quality of life and double the money but we can pretend
Lol yep. I love Logan and would like to possibly some day live there again, but Seattle would be a pretty awesome place to be a millionaire.

Anybody acting like Sprinkle, a non-Mormon single dude with zero ties to Utah, isn’t getting a major upgrade in quality of life is kidding themselves

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 24th, 2024, 8:34 pm

shoresy wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 8:02 pm
TrueAG wrote:
SLB wrote:
bigblue32 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
SLB wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:
From the UW fans I interact with, they’re all saying Danny has been pleading for more NIL for basketball. Not joking. Apparently their biggest booster is in wait and see mode with Basketball NIL. Turns out most dollars are very much earmarked for football Image

What I figured
Lol yep. I love Logan and would like to possibly some day live there again, but Seattle would be a pretty awesome place to be a millionaire.

Anybody acting like Sprinkle, a non-Mormon single dude with zero ties to Utah, isn’t getting a major upgrade in quality of life is kidding themselves
He has already thrown out a pitch for the Mariners. Being rich and semi celebrity in a big city doesn't suck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic