Aubin Gateretse

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AGGIEinIOWA

Aubin Gateretse

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 19th, 2024, 9:16 am

Gateretse is a nice addition. We beat out some decent programs for him. Here’s a Chris Murray article on Nevada’s recruitment of him.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/report ... -6-11-post
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
aggies22

Roy McAvoy

Re: Aubin Gateretse

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 19th, 2024, 9:18 am

Huh. After watching his clip I'm struggling to understand why he wasn't even more dominant playing against bad teams and why he played only 24 mpg?

He's got great size, he's coordinated, and seems to be a decent finisher around the hoop. Maybe it's simply just an issue of still growing into his body and getting better coaching?

Dude looks like he could easily average 12 & 8 in the MWC, let alone the Atlantic Sun conference.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 4):
trevordudehipsterdoofus21aggies22bigblue32

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » April 19th, 2024, 9:22 am

Great add, nice length and able to finish around the rim with both hands
These users thanked the author JFWAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

AGGIEinIOWA

Aubin Gateretse

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 19th, 2024, 9:40 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:Huh. After watching his clip I'm struggling to understand why he wasn't even more dominant playing against bad teams and why he played only 24 mpg?

He's got great size, he's coordinated, and seems to be a decent finisher around the hoop. Maybe it's simply just an issue of still growing into his body and getting better coaching?

Dude looks like he could easily average 12 & 8 in the MWC, let alone the Atlantic Sun conference.
Looks like Stetson had an 8 man rotation comprised of 5 guards and 3 bigs. The 3 bigs added up to 64 minutes a game, with Gateretse averaging the most, so I’m assuming they went with a smaller 4 guard/wing lineup at times. He was pretty efficient in averaging nearly 12 pts on 6.5 shots a game. A 71.6 FG% helps.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 19th, 2024, 10:51 am

Appears Calhoun's early strategy is to go after rising Seniors. Smart. They can make immediate impacts. And if they play like all conference players, you don't have to worry about them getting poached by a P5 since they're out of eligibility anyways.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post (total 3):
bigblue32AgTimeReal Life Aggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 19th, 2024, 12:39 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:51 am
Appears Calhoun's early strategy is to go after rising Seniors. Smart. They can make immediate impacts. And if they play like all conference players, you don't have to worry about them getting poached by a P5 since they're out of eligibility anyways.
Yeah, F it. Get 7 seniors every year from the portal. whoevwr gives you the best chance to win. Its wild that were going to have essentially a new team every year.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 19th, 2024, 3:28 pm

Massive get. More size and defense than Great, his efficiency ratings were head and shoulders above all the other starters on Stetson

We kicked off the portal with 2 huge gets. If you want to be on a tournament team with a great home court and a chance to make a run, hard to ignore what Calhoun is building with this roster of returnees and transfers so far. 1 more athletic 3/4 with length plus a shooter who can handle the backup point spot and let’s go to war
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21Aggie84025

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 19th, 2024, 3:29 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 9:18 am
Huh. After watching his clip I'm struggling to understand why he wasn't even more dominant playing against bad teams and why he played only 24 mpg?

Reminds me of how Great only averaged like low 20 minutes last season at Montana State and some people were worried about how he would translate to tougher competition.

Gateretse looks like he could take a similar step forward next year with 28-30 minutes a game

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 19th, 2024, 3:56 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 3:29 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Reminds me of how Great only averaged like low 20 minutes last season at Montana State and some people were worried about how he would translate to tougher competition.

Gateretse looks like he could take a similar step forward next year with 28-30 minutes a game
I was in that group. And I'm in that group again with Gateretse.

Here's to hoping I'm as wrong as I usually am.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 19th, 2024, 4:09 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 3:56 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 3:29 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I was in that group. And I'm in that group again with Gateretse.

Here's to hoping I'm as wrong as I usually am.
Don’t worry, you will be! ;)

He’s going to be justttt fine in the MW and beyond. He might get into foul trouble a bit but he has a chance to be very impactful just like Great. His efficiency ratings and advanced metrics are even better than Greats were at MtSt

Harcher

Post by Harcher » April 19th, 2024, 8:35 pm

Im excited for this signing. But I know nothing other than his top 7 potential teams are legit and thus he must be good. Hopefully they were all legit interested.

We weren’t competing with black hills state.

Harcher

Post by Harcher » April 19th, 2024, 8:46 pm

I’m also seriously exited that if we reload well this year, it becomes solidified that USU is the place to transfer to elevate your game and join a perennial winner.

ucfpengbuck

Post by ucfpengbuck » April 19th, 2024, 9:19 pm

Don't hate me guys I've seen Gateresre play a bunch and he is skilled but his lack of strength was a problem in the asun and now that he's moving up I see him as a marginal pick up. The guard from Queens is a freaking warrior. Big jump in competition but he has the toughness. Love coach C so I hope they both level up .

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 19th, 2024, 9:28 pm

ucfpengbuck wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 9:19 pm
Don't hate me guys I've seen Gateresre play a bunch and he is skilled but his lack of strength was a problem in the asun and now that he's moving up I see him as a marginal pick up. The guard from Queens is a freaking warrior. Big jump in competition but he has the toughness. Love coach C so I hope they both level up .
If you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand. I’ve seen your face before my friend but I don’t know if you know who I am.

Well I was there and I saw what you did. I saw it with my own two eyes. So you can wipe off that grin, I know where you’ve been.

It’s all been a pack of lies.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic