What I hope we never see out of a coach we have

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

What I hope we never see out of a coach we have

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 6th, 2024, 10:32 pm

During the Alabama-UConn game, they were talking about a transfer they got from Hofstra. They explained how the kid was at Hofstra and told them he wanted to play up a level so the coaches actually worked with him to find the spot at Alabama.

I would hope that when we have kids who think they can move up, we at least fight to keep them instead of passively letting them leave to move up. And I would think that the one type of kid leaving that you DONT help find a spot is one that thinks(sometimes correctly) that they can move up a level. I mean, guys like Zapala and even Zee that leave cause they want more playing time, you do help them. Even guys that are average players but don't like the culture of Logan or the cold winters or struggle with other things, you can help them find a better fit. And you can't help it when assistants leave if kids want to follow them. And probably other kids who have concussion problems to a point of doctors in Utah refusing to clear them have probably learned from what happened with Rylan that doctors in Alabama are more lenient.

But kids that are your top players, that leave us cause we can't afford them, you let them be on their own finding a school cause they are likely going to have alot of offers to choose from.

apo

Re: What I hope we never see out of a coach we have

Post by apo » April 7th, 2024, 5:49 am

We are not Hofstra nor do we play in the CAA. In this day and age of NIL, I couldn’t see this being an excellent pitch for recruits. Similar to FCS or DIIs showing transfer success as a recruiting pitch.

Obviously not the recruiting pitch for the brand MW basketball has/is building but a good pitch for lower tier tier schools.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » April 7th, 2024, 11:58 am

You don’t have to be at a big name school to make the NBA anymore. There are tons of NBA players that are not from the big schools. I would argue that if many of these players that are currently in the NBA had gone to a big school and didn’t get as much playing time or the development they got from starting at mid-majors or wherever that they wouldn’t be in the NBA right now. If you are a player on the bench at a big school, you should seriously consider playing at a smaller school. Also in the NIL world of today, no one will pay big money for a backup but they will fit a top player on a mid-Major team. That’s pretty clear. Seek out where you can get playing rather than be a backup.

What I hope happens in the future with this NIL environment is that all the non-starters for big schools don’t ever go there in the first place but seek out starting positions elsewhere. This would cause a lot of distribution of talent across schools and the big teams don’t have depth on the bench. Once the big schools are like, “hey, this is hurting us, let’s put some limits on all of this!” then maybe we’ll get some order back to college bball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoJo_Aggie

Post by SoJo_Aggie » April 8th, 2024, 8:39 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 6th, 2024, 10:32 pm
During the Alabama-UConn game, they were talking about a transfer they got from Hofstra. They explained how the kid was at Hofstra and told them he wanted to play up a level so the coaches actually worked with him to find the spot at Alabama.

I would hope that when we have kids who think they can move up, we at least fight to keep them instead of passively letting them leave to move up. And I would think that the one type of kid leaving that you DONT help find a spot is one that thinks(sometimes correctly) that they can move up a level. I mean, guys like Zapala and even Zee that leave cause they want more playing time, you do help them. Even guys that are average players but don't like the culture of Logan or the cold winters or struggle with other things, you can help them find a better fit. And you can't help it when assistants leave if kids want to follow them. And probably other kids who have concussion problems to a point of doctors in Utah refusing to clear them have probably learned from what happened with Rylan that doctors in Alabama are more lenient.

But kids that are your top players, that leave us cause we can't afford them, you let them be on their own finding a school cause they are likely going to have alot of offers to choose from.
I could see lower tier schools like Hofstra forming unofficial pacts with power teams, the power schools tell high school kids that aren't quite ready to play or contribute at the top level to sign and play for Hofstra for a few seasons then transfer to the bigger school. Schools like Hofstra get talent they otherwise wouldn't and essentially develop talent. I don't think this is a good thing, mind, but I think it's going to happen more and more often

You insulted my choice of beverage. As host and provider, I was offended by this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic