Current State of USU Basketball

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TrueAG

Re: Current State of USU Basketball

Post by TrueAG » April 24th, 2024, 12:32 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 12:08 pm
jwaggie wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 12:03 pm
I get why people are saying that it's not worth developing kids (even local) because we're worried about them leaving after a good year. I think the local kids are the ones worth taking a chance on and developing. Not every local kid is going to stay (Ashworth) but Mason was offered a lot more money to go other places but chose to stay.
Those are good points, especially considering that each year there are going to be 4ish scholarship players that don't see the floor much. Not all 13 scholarship players are going to get regular minutes. I would rather take a chance on a regional player that loves the program to use for one of the last scholarships versus someone with no connection to the program.
I'd rather take a chance on a raw 6'6-6'9 guy with high ceiling and a low floor for the last scholarships, then a guy that's ceiling is back up pg.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 24th, 2024, 12:39 pm

jwaggie wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 12:03 pm
I get why people are saying that it's not worth developing kids (even local) because we're worried about them leaving after a good year. I think the local kids are the ones worth taking a chance on and developing. Not every local kid is going to stay (Ashworth) but Mason was offered a lot more money to go other places but chose to stay.
Also, who the cares if a guy that comes in as a freshman leaves? If we can do an exact repeat with a guy like Ashworth, I would do it 10 out of 10 times. I mean do mes anyone really think we would have been better off not taking Ashworth, even knowing that he ended up transfering?

Why is taking a high school kid that might leave if he is good any worse than taking a sophomore that might leave if he is good, or a junior that might leave if he is good (Osobor) or a senior that only had one year left?

At this point, any guy you bring is has a 50/50 chance of leaving if they are good. And probably a 75% chance of leaving if they are not good. Why does it mater if they are freshman or seniors.
Last edited by LarryTheAggie on April 24th, 2024, 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025JSHarvey

SLB

Post by SLB » April 24th, 2024, 12:39 pm

Here is a big that we should get

Imagine having Supreme Cook and Big Fish as the starters

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 24th, 2024, 12:52 pm

SLB wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 12:39 pm

SLB, you got the $500k this guy is going to expect to get? Basically averaged a double double at a P6.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 24th, 2024, 12:53 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 12:52 pm
SLB wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 12:39 pm

SLB, you got the $500k this guy is going to expect to get? Basically averaged a double double at a P5.
SLB is probably Tommy Wiseau, so yes.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 24th, 2024, 1:03 pm

So we would go from Great to Supreme? :pirate:
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 4):
SLBAggie84025Real Life Aggieaggies22

SLB

Post by SLB » April 24th, 2024, 1:04 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 1:03 pm
Now, we are cooking.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 24th, 2024, 1:19 pm

SLB wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 1:04 pm
Aglicious wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 1:03 pm
Now, we are cooking.
Sounds perfect for the Stew Morrill Court.

These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
SLB

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 24th, 2024, 1:23 pm

Let him cook!
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
SLB

SLB

Post by SLB » April 24th, 2024, 1:36 pm

If somehow, we got Supreme Cook. We need to rename the court Supreme Fish Stew.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 24th, 2024, 1:40 pm

SLB wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 1:36 pm
Chowder Court?
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
SLB

SLB

Post by SLB » April 24th, 2024, 1:47 pm

Hoot wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 1:40 pm
SLB wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 1:36 pm
Chowder Court?
He is from New York.
Manhattan Clam Chowder is acceptable.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » April 24th, 2024, 1:52 pm

i read that as supreme court!

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 24th, 2024, 2:02 pm

tipitup wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 1:52 pm
i read that as supreme court!
If he does drugs we can dub it “Supreme Court, the highest court in the land.”
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
SLB

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 24th, 2024, 6:13 pm

What I found fascinating about this entire discussion is that even though we are returning practically every key contributor from a top 25 team that won an NCAA tournament game despite losing our coach, everyone seems to assume that any player at USU who has a decent season is automatically going to transfer. Personally, I could almost certainly get a job that pays significantly more money if I were willing to relocate anywhere in the country, but I like my job and where I live, so I don't.

And even if a player does well and decides to leave for more NIL money, why is that a bad thing? Should we not recruit a McDonald's All-American who wants to come to USU because we are worried he might leave for the NBA after a year? Just recruit the best players that you can sign. Whether or not he will stay in Logan for one year or five years should not even be a consideration. I'd much rather have players being poached or going to the NBA than a roster of four-year players that nobody else wants.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post (total 3):
LarryTheAggieJSHarveyjackattack

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 24th, 2024, 6:51 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 6:13 pm
What I found fascinating about this entire discussion is that even though we are returning practically every key contributor from a top 25 team that won an NCAA tournament game despite losing our coach, everyone seems to assume that any player at USU who has a decent season is automatically going to transfer. Personally, I could almost certainly get a job that pays significantly more money if I were willing to relocate anywhere in the country, but I like my job and where I live, so I don't.

And even if a player does well and decides to leave for more NIL money, why is that a bad thing? Should we not recruit a McDonald's All-American who wants to come to USU because we are worried he might leave for the NBA after a year? Just recruit the best players that you can sign. Whether or not he will stay in Logan for one year or five years should not even be a consideration. I'd much rather have players being poached or going to the NBA than a roster of four-year players that nobody else wants.
This is a sliding scale sort of thing. If a player likes USU and could get maybe 20% more or even 30% more somewhere else, there’s an argument for staying at USU. If it’s true that Great is getting offers of $500k elsewhere and the most we can offer is $150k, he’d be a Great fool not to leave. There’s no argument not to leave if you can more than triple your earnings by going elsewhere. It’s just sentiment keeping you in Logan at that point.

I think Great owes it to himself and his family and should leave if he truly has offers for $500k+ that we can’t even come close to matching. I also think Great owes it to USU and the fans that have supported him to make that decision quickly and let the coaching staff know. I don’t think either of these opinions will be popular, but they are the correct opinions on the matter. :)
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
ereksonaggie95Aggie in BoiseReal Life Aggie

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 24th, 2024, 8:09 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 6:51 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:

This is a sliding scale sort of thing. If a player likes USU and could get maybe 20% more or even 30% more somewhere else, there’s an argument for staying at USU. If it’s true that Great is getting offers of $500k elsewhere and the most we can offer is $150k, he’d be a Great fool not to leave. There’s no argument not to leave if you can more than triple your earnings by going elsewhere. It’s just sentiment keeping you in Logan at that point.

I think Great owes it to himself and his family and should leave if he truly has offers for $500k+ that we can’t even come close to matching. I also think Great owes it to USU and the fans that have supported him to make that decision quickly and let the coaching staff know. I don’t think either of these opinions will be popular, but they are the correct opinions on the matter. :)
Great may also owe it to himself to think long-term. The best chance at life-changing money is Utah State as it's his most certain path to the NBA.

#hornsup!

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 24th, 2024, 8:13 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:

Great may also owe it to himself to think long-term. The best chance at life-changing money is Utah State as it's his most certain path to the NBA.
He has an agent. He will do what is in the best interest of his agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 24th, 2024, 8:15 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 8:09 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:

Great isn’t playing in the NBA. Next season will be the biggest stage he ever plays on in his career if he goes to UK. I love Great, but his game has almost no chance of translating to the NBA.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
tjensen_25

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 24th, 2024, 8:20 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 8:15 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:

Great isn’t playing in the NBA. Next season will be the biggest stage he ever plays on in his career if he goes to UK. I love Great, but his game has almost no chance of translating to the NBA.
Tony Jones disagrees lol

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 24th, 2024, 8:31 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 8:20 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Blue Sage wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:

Tony Jones disagrees lol

The only NBA skill Great currently has is Rebounding and length. He is a long way from a current NBA player

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 24th, 2024, 8:46 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 8:20 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Blue Sage wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:

Tony Jones disagrees lol

I respect Tony’s opinion, but I think he’s wrong. Great needs to lose about 40 pounds and develop a 3 pt shot if he wants to have even the tiniest shred of a chance to play in the NBA. He’s way too short and not nearly quick enough laterally to even be a small ball 5 in the NBA.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 24th, 2024, 9:11 pm

I think Great has NBA rebounding, post moves, and ball handling for a big.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 3):
ElkaggieAggie in BoiseAgTime

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » April 24th, 2024, 9:58 pm

GeoAg wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 9:11 pm
I think Great has NBA rebounding, post moves, and ball handling for a big.

He’s a really good passer for a big. Is a good defender. He’s mobile, quick. If he develops a 3 point shot he’s definitely a pro
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post (total 2):
GeoAgAggie in Boise

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 25th, 2024, 1:07 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:

As one who has worked in higher education for a long time, I can tell you that college-aged people make decisions that make no sense financially all the time. I can think of numerous instances where someone turned down a scholarship at a higher-ranked school to spend more money to attend a less prestigious school because it was closer to their family or girlfriend or the beach or some other reason. For their record, if I were advising Osobor, and he really can earn drastically more money elsewhere, I would probably tell him to do it. The only reason I might not is if NBA scouts told him that he needs to improve a specific part of his game and USU was the only school that is willing to give him an opportunity to do that. But he may decide to stay because he likes Logan or his teammates or he likes being the star on his team who is guaranteed to get a lot of minutes. I don't think we should automatically assume that he is gone because he can earn more money elsewhere.

But my earlier comment wasn't really about Osobor. I'm talking more about people who have suggested (for example) that we should stop recruiting high school players because anyone good will transfer anyway. That seems like complete madness to me. Number one, just because someone can earn more money elsewhere doesn't mean that they will. And even if they do transfer, they still helped us win games during the time they were here. I've never heard someone say that teams shouldn't recruit one and dones because they will be gone after a year. But for some reason people think that not only will no good players ever stay at USU (which is obviously not true) but that we should not recruit good players because they might leave. That sounds like a recipe for defeatist mediocrity.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
AGinNEIowa

SLB

Post by SLB » April 25th, 2024, 10:38 am

Speaking of Utahns in the portal

From Sandy, Utah
Was at UIC (MVC school)
As a Sophomore
6'9" 230 lb forward
6.1 points per game 2.4 rebounds per game 44.2% from the field 36% from 3
Played 13.9 minutes per game
Has 2 years left
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
AggieArmy

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 25th, 2024, 11:25 am

SLB wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 10:38 am

From Sandy, Utah
Was at UIC (MVC school)
As a Sophomore
6'9" 230 lb forward
Has 2 years left
Are you going to translate his stats into 30 minutes per game?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

SLB

Post by SLB » April 25th, 2024, 11:33 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 11:25 am
SLB wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 10:38 am

From Sandy, Utah
Was at UIC (MVC school)
As a Sophomore
6'9" 230 lb forward
Has 2 years left
Are you going to translate his stats into 30 minutes per game?
14.9 is basically 15 minutes
15 times 2 = 30
Just double the numbers
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Aggie in Boise

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » April 25th, 2024, 11:44 am

SLB wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 11:33 am
14.9 is basically 15 minutes
15 times 2 = 30
Just double the numbers
Wow!! The young man shot 72% from 3 over 30 minutes? Sign him up. (My math minor at work. ;) )
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie in BoiseAggiePTColoraggie

SLB

Post by SLB » April 25th, 2024, 12:24 pm

13.9 is not 14.9
Brownell per 30 stats
13.2 points per game
5.2 rebounds per game
1.7 blocks per game
1.7 assists per game
1.7 TOs per game
2.6 PFs per game
44.2/36.3/66.7

SLB

Post by SLB » April 25th, 2024, 1:18 pm

bummer

tipitup

Post by tipitup » April 25th, 2024, 1:24 pm

SLB wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 1:18 pm

bummer
that looks like a transfer for playing time!!

SLB

Post by SLB » April 25th, 2024, 1:29 pm

tipitup wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 1:24 pm
SLB wrote:

bummer
He would have been a potentially good addition with his rebounding. Double-double type of player when he is playing

tipitup

Post by tipitup » April 25th, 2024, 1:31 pm

SLB wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 1:29 pm
tipitup wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 1:24 pm
SLB wrote:

bummer
He would have been a potentially good addition with his rebounding. Double-double type of player when he is playing
ya but only 10 min at a team that played a lot of players, you would think he would get more time the way they subbed.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 25th, 2024, 7:10 pm

DJ Burns update

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic