Current State of USU Basketball

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
utaggies

Re: Current State of USU Basketball

Post by utaggies » April 25th, 2024, 7:38 pm

This thread is titled “The Current State of USU Basketball”. It is not titled, “Every College Basketball Player Who Is Entering the Portal”. Perhaps I am alone is being disinterested in that level of minutiae. If the Aggies are affected I’m all in. If other MWC teams are affected I am marginally interested. If a player has limited his selection to Indiana St., Rutgers, North Dakota St., and Texas San Antonio I am very much uninterested.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 8):
LarryTheAggieereksonaggie95smfdaggieAggie in Boiseaggies22IdaAg93EngineeringAggienewtonianblue

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2024, 8:52 pm

utaggies wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 7:38 pm
This thread is titled “The Current State of USU Basketball”. It is not titled, “Every College Basketball Player Who Is Entering the Portal”. Perhaps I am alone is being disinterested in that level of minutiae. If the Aggies are affected I’m all in. If other MWC teams are affected I am marginally interested. If a player has limited his selection to Indiana St., Rutgers, North Dakota St., and Texas San Antonio I am very much uninterested.
Past efforts have been made to herd the cats on this board. Those efforts have proven unsuccessful. There is one particularly large tabby named SLB that (I can't express myself without swearing) everywhere.

I wish you luck in this endeavor.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 25th, 2024, 8:54 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
utaggies wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 7:38 pm
Past efforts have been made to herd the cats on this board. Those efforts have proven unsuccessful. There is one particularly large tabby named SLB that (I can't express myself without swearing) everywhere.

I wish you luck in this endeavor.
SLB stands for slick loose bowels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » April 25th, 2024, 9:16 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 6:51 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 6:13 pm
What I found fascinating about this entire discussion is that even though we are returning practically every key contributor from a top 25 team that won an NCAA tournament game despite losing our coach, everyone seems to assume that any player at USU who has a decent season is automatically going to transfer. Personally, I could almost certainly get a job that pays significantly more money if I were willing to relocate anywhere in the country, but I like my job and where I live, so I don't.

And even if a player does well and decides to leave for more NIL money, why is that a bad thing? Should we not recruit a McDonald's All-American who wants to come to USU because we are worried he might leave for the NBA after a year? Just recruit the best players that you can sign. Whether or not he will stay in Logan for one year or five years should not even be a consideration. I'd much rather have players being poached or going to the NBA than a roster of four-year players that nobody else wants.
This is a sliding scale sort of thing. If a player likes USU and could get maybe 20% more or even 30% more somewhere else, there’s an argument for staying at USU. If it’s true that Great is getting offers of $500k elsewhere and the most we can offer is $150k, he’d be a Great fool not to leave. There’s no argument not to leave if you can more than triple your earnings by going elsewhere. It’s just sentiment keeping you in Logan at that point.

I think Great owes it to himself and his family and should leave if he truly has offers for $500k+ that we can’t even come close to matching. I also think Great owes it to USU and the fans that have supported him to make that decision quickly and let the coaching staff know. I don’t think either of these opinions will be popular, but they are the correct opinions on the matter. :)
FWIW, Great has at least one offer at or very near $1,000,000 for next season.

ususports

Post by ususports » April 25th, 2024, 9:34 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 9:16 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
What I found fascinating about this entire discussion is that even though we are returning practically every key contributor from a top 25 team that won an NCAA tournament game despite losing our coach, everyone seems to assume that any player at USU who has a decent season is automatically going to transfer. Personally, I could almost certainly get a job that pays significantly more money if I were willing to relocate anywhere in the country, but I like my job and where I live, so I don't.

And even if a player does well and decides to leave for more NIL money, why is that a bad thing? Should we not recruit a McDonald's All-American who wants to come to USU because we are worried he might leave for the NBA after a year? Just recruit the best players that you can sign. Whether or not he will stay in Logan for one year or five years should not even be a consideration. I'd much rather have players being poached or going to the NBA than a roster of four-year players that nobody else wants.
This is a sliding scale sort of thing. If a player likes USU and could get maybe 20% more or even 30% more somewhere else, there’s an argument for staying at USU. If it’s true that Great is getting offers of $500k elsewhere and the most we can offer is $150k, he’d be a Great fool not to leave. There’s no argument not to leave if you can more than triple your earnings by going elsewhere. It’s just sentiment keeping you in Logan at that point.

I think Great owes it to himself and his family and should leave if he truly has offers for $500k+ that we can’t even come close to matching. I also think Great owes it to USU and the fans that have supported him to make that decision quickly and let the coaching staff know. I don’t think either of these opinions will be popular, but they are the correct opinions on the matter. :)
Is this a trick rhetorical question because I think it is worth at or very near $1,000,000.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
Real Life Aggie

cval

Post by cval » April 25th, 2024, 9:54 pm

Is that an ask, or an offer? I suspect that many of the numbers we are seeing are asks, not offers.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » April 25th, 2024, 10:24 pm

cval wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 9:54 pm
Is that an ask, or an offer? I suspect that many of the numbers we are seeing are asks, not offers.
Offer.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » April 25th, 2024, 10:25 pm

ususports wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 9:34 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:

Is this a trick rhetorical question because I think it is worth at or very near $1,000,000.
Uh no, FWIW relative to the discussion about moving for more money. It’s probably a 5-6x decision
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
ususports

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 25th, 2024, 10:48 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 10:25 pm
ususports wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:

Uh no, FWIW relative to the discussion about moving for more money. It’s probably a 5-6x decision
Then there’s no decision to be made. Good luck, Great! Get your bag!

josephconlin

Post by josephconlin » April 25th, 2024, 11:08 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:

Great and coach Calhoun could have the same base income next year. :shock:

SLB

Post by SLB » April 25th, 2024, 11:10 pm

josephconlin wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 11:08 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:

Great and coach Calhoun could have the same base income next year. :shock:
This reminds of me about the story of Babe Ruth driving his manager in Ruth's luxury in a parade.
Before Ruth, the managers made more money than all the players.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 26th, 2024, 7:00 am

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
ereksonaggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 26th, 2024, 9:15 am

slcagg wrote:
Mongolian Mike would be a great addition and fill that long wing role we are looking for.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 26th, 2024, 9:21 am

Yeah, Mongolian Mike is that dude that’s gonna show up at a gym in his mid 40s in his knee pads that everyone laughs at and then proceeds to absolutely cook everyone.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 26th, 2024, 9:25 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 9:15 am
slcagg wrote:
Mongolian Mike would be a great addition and fill that long wing role we are looking for.
I still really really like the central Arkansas kid. But this guy would be a nice addition.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 26th, 2024, 9:38 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Agreed, would be an awesome pickup. He is a very good shooter as well.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 26th, 2024, 10:31 am

Dallin Hall returning to Boogerville

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 26th, 2024, 11:04 am

SLB wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 7:10 pm

DJ Burns update
You can't spell "nutsack" without UTSA.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 5):
sam tingeygreggers1868Aggies1888HeathenIdaAg93

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » April 26th, 2024, 11:10 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 11:04 am
SLB wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 7:10 pm

DJ Burns update
You can't spell "nutsack" without UTSA.
This is an incredibly astute observation

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 26th, 2024, 11:32 am

ususports wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:

Great is 100% going to make nearly a million bucks in the portal, IF the right teams gets desperate enough, it might be more.

dogie

Post by dogie » April 26th, 2024, 11:51 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
slcagg wrote:
I stood behind his family in line to get into the Delta Center game. His father is also a tall Mongolian. I’d love to see him come to USU.

I remember thinking during the game that the Aggies could put his height and skills to use better than what the Dons were doing. He seemed quite mobile.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post (total 3):
Aggiefan33aggies22IdaAg93

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » April 26th, 2024, 1:07 pm

Karson Templin posted a video of him working out with recruit Jaylen Lawal

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 26th, 2024, 1:15 pm

BasketballAgg wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 1:07 pm
In Logan or back home in Texas?

ereksonaggie

Post by ereksonaggie » April 26th, 2024, 1:19 pm

dogie wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 11:51 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
slcagg wrote:
I stood behind his family in line to get into the Delta Center game. His father is also a tall Mongolian. I’d love to see him come to USU.

I remember thinking during the game that the Aggies could put his height and skills to use better than what the Dons were doing. He seemed quite mobile.
What's the Utah connection?

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 26th, 2024, 1:49 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 1:15 pm
BasketballAgg wrote:
Texas
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post:
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 26th, 2024, 1:57 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 1:49 pm
slcagg wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
Texas
Thanks. Wondering if that is just more them being connected through basketball in the dallas area and practicing together rather than a connection to USU?

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 26th, 2024, 2:01 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 1:57 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 1:49 pm
slcagg wrote:
BasketballAgg wrote:
Texas
Thanks. Wondering if that is just more them being connected through basketball in the dallas area and practicing together rather than a connection to USU?
I'd bet it's just a basketball connection. The story was posted by a coach/trainer in TX and he tagged both of them.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post:
slcagg

dogie

Post by dogie » April 26th, 2024, 2:29 pm

ereksonaggie wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 1:19 pm
dogie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
slcagg wrote:

What's the Utah connection?
As far as I know, there is no Utah connection. This was in line to see the USU/San Francisco game in Salt Lake City in December.

Sharavjamts didn’t play well, but he looked like he had some skill. He had zero points in 25 minutes on 0-for-6 shooting. That might have been the difference in the game.
Last edited by dogie on April 26th, 2024, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post:
ereksonaggie

SLB

Post by SLB » April 26th, 2024, 2:33 pm

dogie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
slcagg wrote:

The tallest people in the world are in a region with Mongolia and China.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 26th, 2024, 2:36 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 10:31 am

Bummer

SLB

Post by SLB » April 26th, 2024, 3:38 pm

Mike Sharavjamts and Carter Welling would be great additions to the team.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 2):
jackattackIdaAg93

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 26th, 2024, 4:47 pm

SLB wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 2:36 pm
bluegrouse wrote:

Bummer
For him. His face just screams zoob.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 26th, 2024, 5:08 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 4:47 pm
SLB wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:

Bummer
This is a win-win. I wasn't particularly impressed by him (not that he would have come here anyway). So, not only did BYU retain a player that I'm not big on, they might have had to pay him a fat stack of cash to do so. That's good stuff.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0IdaAg93

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 26th, 2024, 5:25 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 5:08 pm
SLB wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:

Bummer
This is a win-win. I wasn't particularly impressed by him (not that he would have come here anyway). So, not only did BYU retain a player that I'm not big on, they might have had to pay him a fat stack of cash to do so. That's good stuff.
He looks like he’s probably buddies with Zack Wilson’s mom’s friends too. You can’t get that just anywhere. Not even in the backwoods of Kentucky. Some things are more important than money.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
bigblue32

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 26th, 2024, 5:51 pm

April 26th, 2024, 5:25 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 5:08 pm
SLB wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:

Bummer
He looks like he’s probably buddies with Zack Wilson’s mom’s friends too. You can’t get that just anywhere. Not even in the backwoods of Kentucky. Some things are more important than money.
They're looking for a missionary in the streets and an apostate in the sheets. I bet Zack Wilson's mom's friends' husbands want to take him to Disneyland.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic