Current State of USU Basketball

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Re: Current State of USU Basketball

Post by trevordude » April 18th, 2024, 10:46 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 10:40 pm
I guess this how it feels to be a championship or second level soccer team over in England. They get their best players poached all the time, it’s essentially going to become a 2 tiered system now since the ncaa can’t do (I can't express myself without swearing) about it.

At the very least maybe the have nots and mid majors will get a little more love from refs in the tournament, rather than the typical one sided reffing against power conf teams. Any true college basketball fan would rather see the group of underpaid underdogs make a run over the teams who just bought their way to the tournament.

And from the selection committee on the bubble. If you spend 4 mil on your team and can only get a 40 net then give me the MW and MVC teams who spent 500-750k over them at 45
Those teams get their best players poached and collect sweet transfer money, if they're well run.

Not sent from Tapatalk

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 18th, 2024, 10:47 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 10:43 pm
Am I the only one that thinks Ian is probably worth the $200k in NIL money he’s asking for?

Like that ask doesn’t seem crazy to me for a player of his caliber in a universe where Dallin Hall wants $600k and Steven Ashworth is getting $400k. Ian is a better player than either of those two.
In a vacuum sure, but it sounds like 200k+, and we only have so much to go around after keeping the other guys I’m sure…probably can’t guarantee him that much.

Good player, but we do need another guard who can run point, Ian cannot. I’m sure there’s tons of solid players out there who would love to come play here for 50-100k
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
Aggie84025

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 18th, 2024, 10:48 pm

trevordude wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 10:46 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
I guess this how it feels to be a championship or second level soccer team over in England. They get their best players poached all the time, it’s essentially going to become a 2 tiered system now since the ncaa can’t do (I can't express myself without swearing) about it.

At the very least maybe the have nots and mid majors will get a little more love from refs in the tournament, rather than the typical one sided reffing against power conf teams. Any true college basketball fan would rather see the group of underpaid underdogs make a run over the teams who just bought their way to the tournament.

And from the selection committee on the bubble. If you spend 4 mil on your team and can only get a 40 net then give me the MW and MVC teams who spent 500-750k over them at 45
Those teams get their best players poached and collect sweet transfer money, if they're well run.
Still sucks for the fans.

That would be cool if there was a transfer fee though, like a coaches buyout but if you poach another schools player you have to pay them something. Not that it’d be enforceable unless all the players become employees of the schools and sign contracts

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 18th, 2024, 10:49 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 10:48 pm
trevordude wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 10:46 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Still sucks for the fans.

That would be cool if there was a transfer fee though, like a coaches buyout but if you poach another schools player you have to pay them something. Not that it’d be enforceable unless all the players become employees of the schools and sign contracts
Moneyball

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 18th, 2024, 10:49 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 10:45 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks Ian is probably worth the $200k in NIL money he’s asking for?

Like that ask doesn’t seem crazy to me for a player of his caliber in a universe where Dallin Hall wants $600k and Steven Ashworth is getting $400k. Ian is a better player than either of those two.
It does suck to know we can’t afford 200k.
It’s probably because we lit a bunch of NIL money on fire to keep a really (I can't express myself without swearing) football team together that’s all leaving now any way.

I wouldn’t be opposed to dumping football and joining the WCC — especially if we could bring the likes of New Mexico and Nevada with us. Those are two solid basketball schools equally ill equipped to deal with the NIL landscape in football.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 18th, 2024, 10:51 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Whats crazy to me is that is more money than what G League professional players make. People throw around like it is only 200k, these are huge sums of money. It is on top of full scholarships as well as full cost of attendance. It has gotten way out of control.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0Full

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 18th, 2024, 10:55 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 10:47 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

In a vacuum sure, but it sounds like 200k+, and we only have so much to go around after keeping the other guys I’m sure…probably can’t guarantee him that much.

Good player, but we do need another guard who can run point, Ian cannot. I’m sure there’s tons of solid players out there who would love to come play here for 50-100k
I can understand the moneyball argument for not keeping Ian, but the “Ian’s Dad wants him to get $200k” being treated as some sort of referendum on Ian or his family is stupid and unfair. He’s worth it, and if we can’t or don’t want to pay it, neither he nor his family is greedy or immoral for asking for it.

But if you can get 65% of Ian from Josh for less than 50% of the NIL cost, I can get not paying him that.
MetsJetsAggies

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 18th, 2024, 10:56 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 10:51 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Whats crazy to me is that is more money than what G League professional players make. People throw around like it is only 200k, these are huge sums of money. It is on top of full scholarships as well as full cost of attendance. It has gotten way out of control.
I don’t want to sandbox this thread, but it’s essentially monopoly money at this point to the types of rich boosters these big schools have. I’m thankful for the wealthy guys who helped boost USU athletics over the years but the rich keep getting richer and over the past decade have multiplied their wealth by insane amounts.

Look at LIV golf and SA throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at golfers to move to a golf tour that makes probably no profit or revenue.

It’s all Monopoly money, and sadly USU doesn’t have enough of it to go around like the bigger schools do
Aggie84025

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 18th, 2024, 10:57 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 10:55 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

I can understand the moneyball argument for not keeping Ian, but the “Ian’s Dad wants him to get $200k” being treated as some sort of referendum on Ian or his family is stupid and unfair. He’s worth it, and if we can’t or don’t want to pay it, neither he nor his family is greedy or immoral for asking for it.

But if you can get 65% of Ian from Josh for less than 50% of the NIL cost, I can get not paying him that.
Yeah that’s fair. I wonder if players in the Ian range would give a slight “hometown” discount when the dust settles.

In the case of Great he would have to take a massive pay cut, but in Ian’s case it would be much less of a difference

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 18th, 2024, 10:59 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 10:57 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 10:55 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Yeah that’s fair. I wonder if players in the Ian range would give a slight “hometown” discount when the dust settles.

In the case of Great he would have to take a massive pay cut, but in Ian’s case it would be much less of a difference
Either way we need to move on tomorrow. Can’t keep waiting on these two as much as I’d love them back. We’re now 2 weeks behind in recruiting their replacements.

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » April 18th, 2024, 11:06 pm

I’m on the verge of dropping college sports fandom all together. I don’t want to, but this is all so disheartening.

What’s the point? There is no joy anymore. (I can't express myself without swearing) it all.
These users thanked the author Dwigt for the post:
Aggie84025

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 18th, 2024, 11:08 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

Probably, BUT the article from last month with the USU collective guy noted it was around 100k a starter to field a MWC team. Is Ian worth 2X the MWC average? (possibly). Even if he is now your setting a precedence that you can/will pay that so other guys start asking for it. If you stretch your budget for a player it better be worth it and not disrupt roster harmony. We don't know what was offered to Mason to recommit but imagine how he'd feel if you give 200k to Ian if Mason is getting less than that. I'd rather keep Mason happy and hope to keep him around 3 more years than appease Ian for one more year.
Last edited by Aggie702 on April 18th, 2024, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 18th, 2024, 11:11 pm

Dwigt wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 11:06 pm
I’m on the verge of dropping college sports fandom all together. I don’t want to, but this is all so disheartening.

What’s the point? There is no joy anymore. (I can't express myself without swearing) it all.
I had plenty of joy this past year and we did it by bringing up 3 unknowns and a P5 player looking for a place to show out. Why can’t we do it again when we return 3 key players when we had none last year.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
MetsJetsAggiesAggieArmyStanfordAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 18th, 2024, 11:15 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 11:08 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Probably, BUT the article from last month with the USU collective guy noted it was around 100k a starter to field a MWC team. Is Ian worth 2X the MWC average? (possibly). Even if he is now your setting a precedence that you can/will pay that so other guys start asking for it. If you stretch your budget for a player it better be worth it and not disrupt roster harmony. We don't know what was offered to Mason to recommit but imagine how he'd feel if you give 200k to Ian if Mason is getting less than that. I'd rather keep Mason happy and hope to keep him around 3 more years than appease Ian for one more year.
Also good points. We can’t stretch the budget too much for one guy. But if we’re priced out of the Ian market, that just is what it is — no need to make it seem like his family is shady or greedy like that tweet did.

But he does need to get his (I can't express myself without swearing) and leave if that’s where it’s at.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 18th, 2024, 11:41 pm

With Martinez and Osobor probably gone, we should pursue Shulga and Mostafa.
I suspect that Shulga is consider on the market much less than Martinez while Mostafa is being overlooked. Both players fill a need and probably affordable.
Mostafa per 30 stats with TCU was 8.7 points 4.6 offensive rebounds 5.3 defensive rebounds 51.7 % FG

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 18th, 2024, 11:55 pm

Dwigt wrote:

You could say this about a lot of sports.

If anything I feel a deeper connection to USU being an alumni than I do some of my other teams (hardly even a Jets fan really anymore)

Also to play devils advocate, what will be different now than it was the past 20+ years? We were always fighting an uphill battle, playing the role of Cinderella in March, and hadn’t won a tournament game until the transfer rules were actually implemented. It’s annoying we will get many of our good players poached but it’ll still be fun to see what we can do with the resources we have + still amazing home court advantage in a solid conference with a rich tradition in basketball and solid fan support.

Basketball is also one sport where even the most talented teams can get beat sometimes. I mean yeah Purdue steamrolled us, UConn was unbeatable, but if you can avoid a handful of unbeatable teams you can at least make a deep run.

Football might be dicier, it is tougher to compete with the big boys in football as it is let alone when all the bigger schools with way bigger budgets come snooping around for all the good players we develop. A staple of our best football teams have often been older, upperclassmen and veteran led teams who stuck around for 4 years
Aggie84025

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 18th, 2024, 11:56 pm

SLB wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 11:41 pm
I suspect that Shulga is consider on the market much less than Martinez while Mostafa is being overlooked. Both players fill a need and probably affordable.
Mostafa per 30 stats with TCU was 8.7 points 4.6 offensive rebounds 5.3 defensive rebounds 51.7 % FG
Mustafa or Newell?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 19th, 2024, 5:50 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 11:56 pm
SLB wrote:
Mustafa or Newell?
What did I miss with Mostafa?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 19th, 2024, 7:43 am

slcagg wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 5:50 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
SLB wrote:
Mustafa or Newell?
I don’t think we’re actually recruiting him, but could be wrong!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 19th, 2024, 7:56 am

SLB wrote:
Shulga's stas for last year were really good. He was first team all A-10, i am guessing he would be sought after just as high if not higher than Ian.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 19th, 2024, 8:42 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 7:43 am
slcagg wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 5:50 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
SLB wrote:
Mustafa or Newell?
I don’t think we’re actually recruiting him, but could be wrong!
I'd prefer TCU's other big that can score from inside and outside.

Full

Post by Full » April 19th, 2024, 9:54 am

I don’t feel like there needs to be a rush to fill the last few spots. The top teams are recruiting multiple players for each spot. As the top teams start to fill up, the prospects for players that didn’t commit get reduced. My guess is a lot of players who left will end up without a home. Last year at the end of April over 900 of the over 1600 who entered the portal were still in it. You can fill the bottom of the roster with a bunch of players nobody believes in and have a chip on the shoulder. If you can get top half talent, go for it. Wait if you’re looking at someone in the bottom half of the portal.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 19th, 2024, 10:02 am

So we basically have a starting 5 and one bench rotation guy right now:

(1) Albury
(2) Falslev
(3) Uduje
(4) Johnson
(5) Gateretse

(6) Templin

Still at least two rotation spots to fill assuming Ian and Great are gone. Feels like we need another primary ballhandling guard to come off the bench and a wing that can play the 3 or 4 (someone like Max A. — dude from Cal would fit the bill).
Last edited by ineptimusprime on April 19th, 2024, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aggie84025

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 19th, 2024, 10:03 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:02 am
So we basically have a starting 5 and one bench rotation guy right now:

(1) Albury
(2) Falslev
(3) Uduje
(4) Johnson
(5) Gateretse

(6) Templin

Still at least two rotation spots to fill assuming Ian and Great are gone.
We really need some more shooting
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 4):
Aggie84025stwinwardAggie37utaggies

AGGIEinIOWA

Current State of USU Basketball

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 19th, 2024, 10:25 am

What are the expectations for Phelps? He’s an athletic and physically impressive 6’6” off guard/wing. Apparently he is a very good defender, a good slasher, gets to the foul line, but is a little unknown in regard to outside shooting. Anyone heard anything from how he did in practice or on scout team last year? I was hoping he’d step into a nice little support role this year and provide some good minutes. He’s got the physical tools for sure. We were really excited about his athleticism when we signed him. He’s also the son of a coach and had well rounded stat line in high school.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » April 19th, 2024, 10:33 am

Is there any chance Calhoun brings DJ Burns with him now that Osobor is essentially gone? Haven't seen him commit elsewhere yet
These users thanked the author Aggiesbleedblue for the post:
AggiePT

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 19th, 2024, 10:44 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:25 am
What are the expectations for Phelps? He’s an athletic and physically impressive 6’6” off guard/wing. Apparently he is a very good defender, a good slasher, gets to the foul line, but is a little unknown in regard to outside shooting. Anyone heard anything from how he did in practice or on scout team last year? I was hoping he’d step into a nice little support role this year and provide some good minutes. He’s got the physical tools for sure. We were really excited about his athleticism when we signed him. He’s also the son of a coach and had well rounded stat line in high school.
Desperately needs to improve his outside shooting.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » April 19th, 2024, 10:48 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:44 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:25 am
Desperately needs to improve his outside shooting.
Sounds like Phelps can just slide into Max's role.
These users thanked the author Zaggie07 for the post:
LarryTheAggie

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » April 19th, 2024, 10:53 am

In regards to the original post. We have 2 players on NBA rosters and players getting poached by Kentucky and just won a tournament game. I’d say the state of USU basketball is pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post (total 9):
AggiePTSection_L_AggieAggie84025treesap32bigblue32bluegrouseflying_scotsman2.0StanfordAggieReal Life Aggie

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 19th, 2024, 10:54 am

If Great leaves, I personally think a need is a bigger, more physical player in the post. I love Big Fish and the addition of Gateretse. But the MWC is a physical conference. Will Templin develop enough to play that role next season? I hope so. But I would like to see another big body veteran (maybe senior) player to share time with Templin as he develops and shares time.
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post:
ImportAggie

cval

Post by cval » April 19th, 2024, 11:23 am

I am going to go out on a limb and project that two guys we already have are going to fight hard to claim minutes in the post.

I am talking about Templin and Burris.

A new coaching staff that will use them differently and build on their strengths will bring out talent we haven’t really seen yet.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 2):
AggiePTbigblue32

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 19th, 2024, 11:28 am

AggiePT wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:54 am
If Great leaves, I personally think a need is a bigger, more physical player in the post. I love Big Fish and the addition of Gateretse. But the MWC is a physical conference. Will Templin develop enough to play that role next season? I hope so. But I would like to see another big body veteran (maybe senior) player to share time with Templin as he develops and shares time.
Hard to convince a senior big to come in and be a back up though.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
AggiePT

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 19th, 2024, 11:32 am

Dwigt wrote:

I don’t know but I had a lot of joy when we beat CSU, SDSU, NM, etc., won our first outright conference championship, went to the NCAA and beat TCU.
Last edited by bluegrouse on April 19th, 2024, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21tetonaggieReal Life Aggie

SLB

Post by SLB » April 19th, 2024, 11:33 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 11:28 am
AggiePT wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:54 am
Hard to convince a senior big to come in and be a back up though.
Essam Mostafa is the name that makes sense in it.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 19th, 2024, 11:37 am

Any word yet on Wynott @aggies22? His commitment might be more impact full than Great's.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic