Great Osobor

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Hoot

Re: Great Osobor

Post by Hoot » April 21st, 2024, 10:59 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 8:04 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 8:02 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 5:12 pm
Agezzz wrote:Williams just signed with Kentucky. I doubt they want Osobor also. Am I reading this incorrectly.
No. They very much want both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can second this. I've been told Pope is DESPERATELY trying to land Osobor.
I really dislike that guy. And 22 you know I’ve disliked that guy for a while.
I really dislike him too. I’m not sure if 22 knows that about me though.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 3):
aggies22slcaggAV8AG

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Aggie37

Post by Aggie37 » April 22nd, 2024, 8:15 am

Agezzz wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 5:23 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 5:15 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Agezzz wrote:Williams just signed with Kentucky. I doubt they want Osobor also. Am I reading this incorrectly.

Two rebounders for the 3 perimeter players to chuck threes to their hearts content.
Is that the role Both these guys want. Seems to me scoring and rebounds are critical to a pro career.

I see Osobor wanting to be the main guy. Still think it's odd Sprinkle is not after him.

None of this makes sense anymore.
From what I have heard, Sprinkle has been after Great. Great and the other players don't want to play for Sprinkle. I won't get into the specifics of what I heard, but I do know none of them felt he really cared about them. Sprinkle said all of the right things in public and when he was on video, but his relationship behind the scenes was marginal at best. This is why not one of the players is following him to Washington.
These users thanked the author Aggie37 for the post (total 3):
AglicioustrevordudeAggie84025

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 22nd, 2024, 8:23 am

Aggie37 wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 8:15 am
Agezzz wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Two rebounders for the 3 perimeter players to chuck threes to their hearts content.
Is that the role Both these guys want. Seems to me scoring and rebounds are critical to a pro career.

I see Osobor wanting to be the main guy. Still think it's odd Sprinkle is not after him.

From what I have heard, Sprinkle has been after Great. Great and the other players don't want to play for Sprinkle. I won't get into the specifics of what I heard, but I do know none of them felt he really cared about them. Sprinkle said all of the right things in public and when he was on video, but his relationship behind the scenes was marginal at best. This is why not one of the players is following him to Washington.
Sprinkle was under immense pressure. I mean he’s a single guy in his late 40’s and there wasn’t a bar in sight.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
WannabeAgAlum

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » April 22nd, 2024, 8:39 am

Hoot wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 8:23 am
Aggie37 wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Sprinkle was under immense pressure. I mean he’s a single guy in his late 40’s and there wasn’t a bar in sight.
Sprinkles sideline demeanor was all over the place. We’d be playing San Jose at home and he’d be laying into them like he was Larry Eustacy. Then the next game we’d be losing to a good team at home and he’d act like he didn’t give a (I can't express myself without swearing) one way or another.
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post (total 2):
AV8AGtrevordude

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 22nd, 2024, 8:51 am

Aggie37 wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

It seems like you got into specifics but I'm not saying you're wrong.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 7):
tysteve20hipsterdoofus21AV8AGtrevordudeAngusAgSection_L_AggieReal Life Aggie

AgMac

Post by AgMac » April 22nd, 2024, 9:17 am

Hoot wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 10:59 pm
slcagg wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 8:04 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 8:02 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I can second this. I've been told Pope is DESPERATELY trying to land Osobor.
I really dislike that guy. And 22 you know I’ve disliked that guy for a while.
I really dislike him too. I’m not sure if 22 knows that about me though.
I can confirm this about Hoot. Not because I know Hoot, but the post came across extremely sincere.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
Hoot

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 22nd, 2024, 9:23 am

Aggie37 wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I don't think Sprinkle was or is a very personable dude. He met the obligations of his job but he always seemed like he went out of his way to keep his distance while doing them. I think the only player that had a decent relationship with coach was Darius but even that was based heavily on the notion that coach needed Darius for the team to be successful and to help the rest of the team buy into his system. Great admitted he came to USU because Darius asked him to, not because of his dying love or desire to play for Sprinkle. I think most of the players saw through DS's smokescreen.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 22nd, 2024, 9:27 am

Aglicious wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 9:23 am
Aggie37 wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I don't think Sprinkle was or is a very personable dude. He met the obligations of his job but he always seemed like he went out of his way to keep his distance while doing them. I think the only player that had a decent relationship with coach was Darius but even that was based heavily on the notion that coach needed Darius for the team to be successful and to help the rest of the team buy into his system. Great admitted he came to USU because Darius asked him to, not because of his dying love or desire to play for Sprinkle. I think most of the players saw through DS's smokescreen.
I did not see thru the smokescreen. Not that this was the closest team in history, but I thought things were pretty good behind the scenes.

Not sent from Tapatalk

cval

Post by cval » April 22nd, 2024, 9:34 am

When DS talked in a post game interview about how they rode a couple of players until they broke them before the season, and they were picked up by teammates, I honestly wondered.

It sounded like the team was close, but pushing kids until they break, then counting on their teammates to pick them up likely means that the coach was not really part of the group.

I appreciate that he built a team that was close, and I really enjoyed the team, but it doesn’t sound like a recipe for sustained success.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
Aggie37

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 22nd, 2024, 10:40 am

He might not be authentic, but the Spectrum and USU fans are. Seems the players get that.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 4):
bigblue32Section_L_AggieAgliciousAggie37

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 22nd, 2024, 10:42 am

Aglicious wrote:
Aggie37 wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Seems clear we need to hire DBII as a grad assistant ASAP and have him ask Great to stay again lol
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post (total 3):
Real Life Aggieflying_scotsman2.0pilotaggie

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » April 22nd, 2024, 10:45 am

Aggie702 wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 10:42 am
Aglicious wrote:
Aggie37 wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Seems clear we need to hire DBII as a grad assistant ASAP and have him ask Great to stay again lol

This… this is a great idea. Haha

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 22nd, 2024, 10:47 am

Hoot wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 8:23 am
Aggie37 wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Yip. Nearest bar was in SLC.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 22nd, 2024, 10:52 am

trevordude wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 9:27 am
Aglicious wrote:
Aggie37 wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I did not see thru the smokescreen. Not that this was the closest team in history, but I thought things were pretty good behind the scenes.
I was never behind the scenes, but I thought things behind the scenes were pretty good, too.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
trevordude

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 22nd, 2024, 11:12 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 10:52 am
trevordude wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 9:27 am
Aglicious wrote:
Aggie37 wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I was never behind the scenes, but I thought things behind the scenes were pretty good, too.
Stories for another day and another time.......
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » April 22nd, 2024, 11:20 am

I was never behind the scenes, but I dealt with DS quite a bit and he always seemed like a really good guy. I like him a lot and I felt like he was genuine.

It was also mentioned on the unequaled podcast that DS put these guys through the most difficult practices to the point of almost breaking them during the summer. Although, it was the hard it is what brought them together and made them so tough in close games and made them so close as a team.

I don’t know if that was by design or not but whatever he did it worked better than maybe any other coach in Aggie history.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025trevordudeFloridaAggie13

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » April 22nd, 2024, 11:30 am

Everything I've heard from players and people around the program is that Danny was well-liked and the team was pretty close all the way through the season. But I know that Danny leaving to Washington was an extremely poorly-kept secret and that the players were well aware of what was happening all the way back in January. He wasn't exactly subtle about it.

I have to think that even for a good coach who is generally liked that has to rub players the wrong way.

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » April 22nd, 2024, 11:32 am

I think it was on the unequaled podcast where Mason was saying that they would all joke around and say “Go Dawgs” when the rumors first started coming out. Then as it got closer to the end of the season they realized it was no longer a joke.

I wonder if they would joke about it because Sprinkle would tell them that it wasn’t happening. I understand that coaches will say whatever to fans, but if he was saying those same things to players then I understand why none of them followed him.
These users thanked the author EngineeringAggie for the post (total 2):
Section_L_AggieReal Life Aggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 22nd, 2024, 11:34 am

Whatever. Sprinkle got results and won games. He is gone now, so whatever.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiToastedFlakes52

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 22nd, 2024, 11:56 am

Nobody Cares!
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post (total 2):
trevordudestwinward

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 11:45 am

kentucky twitter is saying that Great is visiting campus today. They are also saying that Arkansas is offering double NIL to anything Kentucky offers so they are worried he might go to Arkansas.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 23rd, 2024, 11:54 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 11:45 am
kentucky twitter is saying that Great is visiting campus today. They are also saying that Arkansas is offering double NIL to anything Kentucky offers so they are worried he might go to Arkansas.
Dang, I thought he had already visited this weekend. I was getting excited that a couple of days had passed and there was still no announced commitment to them.

That's crazy if Arkansas is willing to throw that out there before even knowing what the number is. Coach Cal must have been introduced to some new Arkansas bag guys down there, it must feel like home for him.

If/when Great takes one of these offers it is going to be some incredible pressure. Is it even possible to deliver a return on investment for these teams? It's national championship or bust.

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » April 23rd, 2024, 11:55 am

If he’s getting 500k at Kentucky that would mean he’s getting a Million from Arkansas.

Thats an insane bag when you learn that the collective has only come up with 200k for him…

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 23rd, 2024, 11:55 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Trilly is saying only two teams in mix currently are USU and UK, but USU anticipates he's going to UK because of asking price (900K). Nevertheless, UK fans are getting a little nervous that it hasn't happened yet.

It would be odd for Great to visit UK today given Pope is supposedly making an in home visit to a 5 Star center today (I realize the tweet says visit is tomorrow, but the tweet is from yesterday so the home visit would be today).

dogie

Post by dogie » April 23rd, 2024, 11:56 am

BasketballAgg wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 11:55 am
If he’s getting 500k at Kentucky that would mean he’s getting a Million from Arkansas.

Thats an insane bag when you learn that the collective has only come up with 200k for him…
Watch Osobor become the best (legitimately) paid college basketball player of all time.

I have the feeling that the USU collective could come up with $500K for Great. I have no source - just a hunch.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 11:58 am

Aggie702 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Trilly is saying only two teams in mix currently are USU and UK, but USU anticipates he's going to UK because of asking price (900K). Nevertheless, UK fans are getting a little nervous that it hasn't happened yet.

It would be odd for Great to visit UK today given Pope is supposedly making an in home visit to a 5 Star center today (I realize the tweet says visit is tomorrow, but the tweet is from yesterday so the home visit would be today).
Home visit? Couldn't afford the $20K to fly him and his family out to visit the campus?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 23rd, 2024, 12:02 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 11:58 am
Aggie702 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Home visit? Couldn't afford the $20K to fly him and his family out to visit the campus?
Nah - home visits count as home teaching for Bro Pope. Two birds.

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » April 23rd, 2024, 12:07 pm

dogie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 11:56 am
BasketballAgg wrote:

Watch Osobor become the best (legitimately) paid college basketball player of all time.

I have the feeling that the USU collective could come up with $500K for Great. I have no source - just a hunch.
Martinez was given 125k, Greats offer is 200k currently, plus the other guys NIL Deals so we will say 250k, there’s no way the program scrape up another 300k. Unless Laub is feeling frisky.

TrueBlue
Pick'em Champ - '13,'14,'15,'16 BB Predict The Score

Post by TrueBlue » April 23rd, 2024, 12:12 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 11:54 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Dang, I thought he had already visited this weekend. I was getting excited that a couple of days had passed and there was still no announced commitment to them.

That's crazy if Arkansas is willing to throw that out there before even knowing what the number is. Coach Cal must have been introduced to some new Arkansas bag guys down there, it must feel like home for him.

If/when Great takes one of these offers it is going to be some incredible pressure. Is it even possible to deliver a return on investment for these teams? It's national championship or bust.
Jerry Jones is the big bag man offering this. I've heard the Walton clan may be involved too.
These users thanked the author TrueBlue for the post:
Aglicious

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 23rd, 2024, 12:15 pm

TrueBlue wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:12 pm
Aglicious wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 11:54 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Jerry Jones is the big bag man offering this. I've heard the Walton clan may be involved too.
You don’t say no to the mole man.

These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
stwinward

MerrillForTheLead

Post by MerrillForTheLead » April 23rd, 2024, 12:24 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
He must not be visiting Kentucky today at least, I just saw Great on Utah State’s campus.
These users thanked the author MerrillForTheLead for the post (total 8):
AgliciousAggie702treesap32Section_L_AggieEngineeringAggieflying_scotsman2.0StanfordAggieReal Life Aggie

GUS

Post by GUS » April 23rd, 2024, 12:29 pm

There you have it. He’s staying at USU. 😎😎
These users thanked the author GUS for the post (total 2):
treesap32ImportAggie

BasketballAgg

Post by BasketballAgg » April 23rd, 2024, 12:32 pm

MerrillForTheLead wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:24 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
He must not be visiting Kentucky today at least, I just saw Great on Utah State’s campus.
That’s crazy because he was in New Jersey yesterday lol

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 23rd, 2024, 12:33 pm

BasketballAgg wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:32 pm
MerrillForTheLead wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
why Jersey?

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 23rd, 2024, 12:35 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:33 pm
BasketballAgg wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:32 pm
MerrillForTheLead wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
why Jersey?
When Rutgers calls, you answer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic