Great Osobor

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Great Osobor

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 19th, 2024, 8:20 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 8:18 am
Usu0505 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 8:02 am
When he was celebrating our championship with the students, he looked extremely happy. Not sure he’ll get that kind of love and experience anywhere else. Great, we love you!! Please come back!!
When I was leaving the firm I used to work at, everyone told me my new firm wouldn’t love me like they did.

They were wrong. My new firm loves me even more and pays me a lot better. BBN and Rupp will love Great as much as we do.

But yeah, I’d love him back and he’d be a legend, but if I see anyone talking (I can't express myself without swearing) on Great for taking a bag of money to play at one of the most storied programs in the Country, I’ll cut you.
But does your new firm have you shagging rebounds in a chuck friendly offense?
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » April 19th, 2024, 8:43 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
When he was celebrating our championship with the students, he looked extremely happy. Not sure he’ll get that kind of love and experience anywhere else. Great, we love you!! Please come back!!
When I was leaving the firm I used to work at, everyone told me my new firm wouldn’t love me like they did.

They were wrong. My new firm loves me even more and pays me a lot better. BBN and Rupp will love Great as much as we do.

But yeah, I’d love him back and he’d be a legend, but if I see anyone talking (I can't express myself without swearing) on Great for taking a bag of money to play at one of the most storied programs in the Country, I’ll cut you.
Possibly, you got lucky. There is only one team that guarantees him being a hero. Curious what we are offering as we have a few very rich donors. He’d be worth it for a year if you truly love Aggie bball. I know I’m donating as much as I can to the cause.
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
bigblue32

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 19th, 2024, 9:14 am

Good luck with your decision Great. We enjoyed watching you play last season. We would love to have you back. Either way, I wish you the best.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 11):
Section_L_AggieAggiePTtrevordudeAggie702hipsterdoofus21bigblue32bluegrouseaggies22flying_scotsman2.0newtonianblue and one more user

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 19th, 2024, 9:23 am

bluegrouse wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 9:06 pm
Apparently Williams and Osobor played together in high school (Myerscough College Basketball Academy) and are good friends…ugh
I think they both play the same position so I assume they’d be battling against each other for minutes if they both committed to UK. Neither of them really shoots the 3.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 19th, 2024, 9:26 am

If Great stays at USU, that wouldn't only be a big bet on USU, it would be a huge bet by Great on himself.

He wouldn't come back to USU to have a meh season. He'd come back to repeat as player of the year and elevate his pro stock, build a Statue outside the Spectrum.
Last edited by trevordude on April 19th, 2024, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
bigblue32

Not sent from Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 19th, 2024, 9:27 am

Hopefully Mark Pope can Mark Pope the interview today.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
AggiePTslcaggAggieBlues

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 19th, 2024, 10:08 am

Kentucky Twitter is slobbering all over the idea of getting Great. If you search Great on Twitter it's tons of fans hoping/begging for him to come. Like this

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 19th, 2024, 10:24 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 8:12 am
Usu0505 wrote:
There is no doubt that Great loves it here. He has a lot of money on the table to go to other places. Money can't buy true happiness, obviously if can help with a great amount of things though. Great needs to decide if he wants extra money but have to start over with getting to know a new area, teammates etc. or come back to USU where he knows the area, most of the team as well as the fans. He could play another year at USU and literally leave a legacy that will last a lifetime, tough decision he needs to make.
I don’t believe it’s a tough decision at all. It’s a similar decision that Ashworth had to make. I will be astonished if Osobor returns. So much for the student visa aspect that was to have hindered him from just going for the loot.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 19th, 2024, 10:41 am

Aggie702 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:08 am
Kentucky Twitter is slobbering all over the idea of getting Great. If you search Great on Twitter it's tons of fans hoping/begging for him to come. Like this

Kentucky used to steal starters from other P5 programs. I wonder how their fans are adjusting to stealing mid major players.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
stwinward

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 19th, 2024, 10:51 am

utaggies wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:24 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
There is no doubt that Great loves it here. He has a lot of money on the table to go to other places. Money can't buy true happiness, obviously if can help with a great amount of things though. Great needs to decide if he wants extra money but have to start over with getting to know a new area, teammates etc. or come back to USU where he knows the area, most of the team as well as the fans. He could play another year at USU and literally leave a legacy that will last a lifetime, tough decision he needs to make.
I don’t believe it’s a tough decision at all. It’s a similar decision that Ashworth had to make. I will be astonished if Osobor returns. So much for the student visa aspect that was to have hindered him from just going for the loot.
I don't know, I think Ashworth probably had a harder decision than Great.

First, Ashworth was leaving home where he would have been a 5 year player.
Second, Osobor is going to get paid way more than Ashworth.

If I was Ashworth and making 100,000 to play in Logan and got offered 2 or 3 hundred thousand, I honestly probably would have stayed.

You offer me a million to leave, like osobor, I am out.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 19th, 2024, 10:54 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:51 am
utaggies wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:24 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
I don't know, I think Ashworth probably had a harder decision than Great.

First, Ashworth was leaving home where he would have been a 5 year player.
Second, Osobor is going to get paid way more than Ashworth.

If I was Ashworth and making 100,000 to play in Logan and got offered 2 or 3 hundred thousand, I honestly probably would have stayed.

You offer me a million to leave, like osobor, I am out.
Ashworth was also dealing with what would've been his 4th coach at USU (a complete unknown to him at the time), as well as what everyone thought was a total rebuild given all the departures. Had he known what was coming, I think he would've stayed.

IF Great decided to come back, at least he knows he'd be the star on a likely tourney team, as opposed to only guy left with a complete rebuild.

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 19th, 2024, 10:57 am

IF Great returns, we would be heavy favorites to start the season, right? If he leaves, I expect our current roster to be in the top 5 again next season.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 19th, 2024, 11:03 am

AggiePT wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:57 am
IF Great returns, we would be heavy favorites to start the season, right? If he leaves, I expect our current roster to be in the top 5 again next season.
Let's just hope we get picked 9th in the preseason polls. Great things happen when the Aggies are picked 9th.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
AggiePTAggieFBObsession

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » April 19th, 2024, 11:16 am

AggiePT wrote:
I doubt we would be heavy favorites. We weren't always dominant last season, and Brown bailed us out more than once in the clutch.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
AggiePT

Aggies All the Way!

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 19th, 2024, 11:22 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 11:16 am
AggiePT wrote:
I doubt we would be heavy favorites. We weren't always dominant last season, and Brown bailed us out more than once in the clutch.
Last year was bizarre. To win that much without ever feeling dominant is not normal. It felt like smoke and mirrors with our lack of shooting but Outright Conference Championship and a tourney win doesn't lie.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 4):
AggiePThipsterdoofus21Section_L_AggieAggieFBObsession

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 19th, 2024, 11:29 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
AggiePT wrote:
Very true. He (Brown) will be missed. A lot went our way last season. But I am looking across the league and seeing a lot of teams loosing stars. Between seniors and transfer portal entries, the other contenders are taking hits.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » April 19th, 2024, 11:41 am

AggiePT wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 11:29 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
AggiePT wrote:
Very true. He (Brown) will be missed. A lot went our way last season. But I am looking across the league and seeing a lot of teams loosing stars. Between seniors and transfer portal entries, the other contenders are taking hits.
A fair take, which is why I wouldn't rule us out as possible favorites, and definitely won't rule us out as contenders. I just don't think we'd be unanimous runaway favorites to repeat, even if Great returned.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
AggiePT

Aggies All the Way!

valleyaggie21

Post by valleyaggie21 » April 19th, 2024, 11:59 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 11:41 am
AggiePT wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 11:29 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
AggiePT wrote:
A fair take, which is why I wouldn't rule us out as possible favorites, and definitely won't rule us out as contenders. I just don't think we'd be unanimous runaway favorites to repeat, even if Great returned.
I think we'd definitely be predicted top 5 with or without Great returning, but IF he returns would increase those odds to top 1-2. Seems to be there is a surprise from the conference each day for who may be transferring in or out so we'll have to wait and see what else shakes out.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » April 19th, 2024, 12:14 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 8:43 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:

Possibly, you got lucky. There is only one team that guarantees him being a hero. Curious what we are offering as we have a few very rich donors. He’d be worth it for a year if you truly love Aggie bball. I know I’m donating as much as I can to the cause.
i've heard somewhere in the 150k range

dogie

Great breaks his X (Twitter) silence …

Post by dogie » April 19th, 2024, 10:12 pm

in a most cryptic way:

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 19th, 2024, 10:38 pm

Great Osobor is a very good basketball player. However, without Darius Brown and being the star of a team, he'll likely take a few steps backward. It'll be interesting to see if Kentucky can find a PG to feed him. Unlikely in today's game of basketball to find that kind of PG. Darius Brown was one of a kind and one that I will greatly miss. Easily my favorite USU PG ever. It's like Karl Malone without John Stockton. Good luck to you in LA, Karl. LOL

bluegrouse

Re: Great breaks his X (Twitter) silence …

Post by bluegrouse » April 19th, 2024, 10:44 pm

dogie wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:12 pm
in a most cryptic way:

Makes me think he’s really struggling with his decision. It’s a big one. Love the guy and wish him well whatever he decides.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 4):
trevordudeAggie84025flying_scotsman2.0Section_L_Aggie

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 19th, 2024, 11:18 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:38 pm
Great Osobor is a very good basketball player. However, without Darius Brown and being the star of a team, he'll likely take a few steps backward. It'll be interesting to see if Kentucky can find a PG to feed him. Unlikely in today's game of basketball to find that kind of PG. Darius Brown was one of a kind and one that I will greatly miss. Easily my favorite USU PG ever. It's like Karl Malone without John Stockton. Good luck to you in LA, Karl. LOL
A great PG always helps, but Great is a much better playmaker than you are giving him credit for.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in HawaiibluegrouseReal Life Aggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 19th, 2024, 11:27 pm

Great is great. No need to downplay how great he is just because he might leave.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
bluegrouse

guxiyou

Post by guxiyou » April 19th, 2024, 11:38 pm

Wish him the best no matter what. Hopefully if he leaves he leaves for a program that builds around him. I'd hate for him to leave and then be good, but not Great

SLB

Post by SLB » April 20th, 2024, 12:04 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 11:27 pm
Great is great. No need to downplay how great he is just because he might leave.
Great is great, but last year's team was limited on shooters which Osobor did not help on this front.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 20th, 2024, 12:10 am

SLB wrote:
April 20th, 2024, 12:04 am
Great is great, but last year's team was limited on shooters which Osobor did not help on this front.
Yeah, he only shot 57.7% on the year…
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
newtonianblue

SLB

Post by SLB » April 20th, 2024, 12:28 am

bluegrouse wrote:
April 20th, 2024, 12:10 am
SLB wrote:
I am talking shooters outside the rim. Osobor did not have that in his game.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 20th, 2024, 12:41 am

SLB wrote:
April 20th, 2024, 12:28 am
bluegrouse wrote:
SLB wrote:
That wasn’t his role. He had 18 points a game and league MVP by doing what he does best.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
Aggie84025

dogie

Post by dogie » April 20th, 2024, 6:45 am

SLB wrote:
April 20th, 2024, 12:28 am
bluegrouse wrote:
SLB wrote:
If the Aggies had outside shooters that demanded respect, opponents couldn’t swarm Osobor quite as much on double and triple teams. Even if Kentucky doesn’t have an elite playmaker at the point, their distance shooting ability could help Osobor’s inside efficiency.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » April 20th, 2024, 6:46 am

I realize there are only maybe a few doing this, but please stop downplaying how good Great is just because you’re concerned he may not play for your school next year. It says more about you than him when you do this. I also realize that it’ll get even worse if/when he declares for another school. Don’t be that person….
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 9):
LarryTheAggieAggiePharmAgTimeSection_L_Aggieaggieguy13bluegrousenewtonianblueReal Life Aggietreesap32

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 20th, 2024, 7:19 am

Yeah, Great was absolutely amazing. He had his way with most teams, even when he was doubled. And watching him single handedly take on LeDee was crazy fun! We want him back.
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post:
guxiyou

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 20th, 2024, 7:40 am

Great is a very good player. It also feels like he missed open layups in nearly every game.. I see him as having a career in Europe. Kentucky has traditionally had one and done talent going to the NBA.

Saying Great is a great player for us but may not be a great fit at Kentucky isn’t an insult. Hell I think Duke would be a great fit for Osobor. I think UCONN could be a great fit.

Imo Kentucky is a mistake. I think these fans will turn on him when he misses a layup and it’s clear his backup is leaving to the NBA anyway. Kentucky lost 5/6 of their recruits. They’re replacing NBA talent with someone who will be playing in Athens or Turkey.

None of that in anyway is an insult to Great. Pro players in Greece are still very good players.

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 20th, 2024, 7:45 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
April 20th, 2024, 7:40 am
Great is a very good player. It also feels like he missed open layups in nearly every game.. I see him as having a career in Europe. Kentucky has traditionally had one and done talent going to the NBA.

Saying Great is a great player for us but may not be a great fit at Kentucky isn’t an insult. Hell I think Duke would be a great fit for Osobor. I think UCONN could be a great fit.

Imo Kentucky is a mistake. I think these fans will turn on him when he misses a layup and it’s clear his backup is leaving to the NBA anyway. Kentucky lost 5/6 of their recruits. They’re replacing NBA talent with someone who will be playing in Athens or Turkey.

None of that in anyway is an insult to Great. Pro players in Greece are still very good players.
I get what you are saying. But if I were Osobor, someone saying that I have no chance to play in the NBA and that I am destined to go play in Europe sure sounds like an insult. He is highly competitive. His goal is likely to make the NBA.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 20th, 2024, 8:05 am

AggiePT wrote:
April 20th, 2024, 7:45 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
April 20th, 2024, 7:40 am

I get what you are saying. But if I were Osobor, someone saying that I have no chance to play in the NBA and that I am destined to go play in Europe sure sounds like an insult. He is highly competitive. His goal is likely to make the NBA.
I wouldn’t say he has no chance. But I did describe where
things currently are.

That’s a fanbase that was talking about firing Calipari (before he left on his own and having their recruits bail too). The coach was their 3rd or 4th choice. Great isn’t going to a school that knows its place, that is in a solid footing to win next year. They’re set up to become the next Georgetown or Indiana.

Great could maybe make an NBA team. But he isn’t the sure fire player they’re used to.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic