Jerrod Calhoun Interview with Scotty

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » April 2nd, 2024, 12:16 pm

EDIT: Since a new thread was started about the radio interview, I have moved all posts regarding that topic to this thread.
-Aglicious

Both coaches will be on Hans and Scotty G today

These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post (total 2):
Section_L_AggieAggieArmy

thrashsoundly

Re: PRESS CONFERENCE?

Post by thrashsoundly » April 2nd, 2024, 12:29 pm

Excited for 3 of those. I can't stand listening to BA for some reason.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 2nd, 2024, 1:26 pm

Man, not sure I liked Calhoun's answer on the radio interview about assistant coaches. He said he was bringing a couple with him from Youngstown and then will be at the final four to conduct interviews. He then added at the end that the existing staff has been great and professional....hmmm....sort of sounded like an afterthought.

He also mentioned Fish quite a few times and maybe that is because Isaac has made his intentions known publicly so he feels comfortable mentioning him but I have to wonder if Calhoun's impression of Isaac is based solely on the TCU game? Hopefully he understands the importance of getting Great, Ian, Mason, and Josh on board too.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 2nd, 2024, 1:31 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 1:26 pm
Man, not sure I liked Calhoun's answer on the radio interview about assistant coaches. He said he was bringing a couple with him from Youngstown and then will be at the final four to conduct interviews. He then added at the end that the existing staff has been great and professional....hmmm....sort of sounded like an afterthought.

He also mentioned Fish quite a few times and maybe that is because Isaac has made his intentions known publicly so he feels comfortable mentioning him but I have to wonder if Calhoun's impression of Isaac is based solely on the TCU game? Hopefully he understands the importance of getting Great, Ian, Mason, and Josh on board too.
Based on what Calhoun said, I believe that Calhoun met Isaac Johnson when Johnson was on a mission in Ohio.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Blue Sage

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 2nd, 2024, 1:34 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 12:16 pm
Both coaches will be on Hans and Scotty G today

Awesome coverage by Scotty and Hans today basically the whole show interviewing and talking Aggie sports. The interview with Calhoun was awesome. Seems like he is really grounded and excited to see what he can bring to the program. He is already calling Isaac (Fish) so he obviously is in tune with things.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 2nd, 2024, 1:37 pm

Aglicious wrote:

I would love for him to keep Haslam as well as possibly bring in Dixon but you got to give the guy the opportunity to bring in the staff that he feels comfortable working with. A lot of the board was butt hurt when Craig did not retain Spencer but it turned out just fine. Hopefully he can get a few of the core players to stay as well.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 2nd, 2024, 2:06 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 1:37 pm
Aglicious wrote:

I would love for him to keep Haslam as well as possibly bring in Dixon but you got to give the guy the opportunity to bring in the staff that he feels comfortable working with. A lot of the board was butt hurt when Craig did not retain Spencer but it turned out just fine. Hopefully he can get a few of the core players to stay as well.
No Haslam = no Great or Josh. And losing them makes it easier for Ian and Mason to move on.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
trevordude

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 2nd, 2024, 2:12 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

But it would have turned out way better if he had retained Spencer.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 2nd, 2024, 2:16 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 2:06 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

No Haslam = no Great or Josh. And losing them makes it easier for Ian and Mason to move on.
The question is if having Haslam = retaining Great and/or Josh

Also, I've heard that Mason is more likely to stick around with Dixon.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » April 2nd, 2024, 2:54 pm

Knowing that Haslam wants to stay. I will be pretty bummed if Calhoun decides not go go with him and the team bounces. I will immediately be very disappointed in the hire until Calhoun can prove otherwise. As of right now I am hopeful that he can retain the team. If that does not happen then my interest in Aggie basketball is definitely going to diminish...
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
Blue Sage

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 2nd, 2024, 3:05 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 2:54 pm
Knowing that Haslam wants to stay. I will be pretty bummed if Calhoun decides not go go with him and the team bounces. I will immediately be very disappointed in the hire until Calhoun can prove otherwise. As of right now I am hopeful that he can retain the team. If that does not happen then my interest in Aggie basketball is definitely going to diminish...
#1. He seemed intent on keeping the team together and #2. he seemed smart enough to figure out the tie to Haslam will help him achieve #1. *fingers crossed*
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
Dkdavis

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 2nd, 2024, 3:44 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
Prepare yourself for disappointment. I think the rumors about Haslam and Brown were untrue.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 2nd, 2024, 4:13 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 3:44 pm
Dkdavis wrote:
Prepare yourself for disappointment. I think the rumors about Haslam and Brown were untrue.
I'll counter that rumor with another Rumor leaning towards them staying put. Got, this from a pretty legit source. Yet, as an Aggie who's endured the saga of Arslanian's 'tactical' skyrockets (a.k.a. power punts), I've been conditioned to brace for the worst. The phrase 'they'll never see the punt coming' is practically etched into the walls of my psyche, turning a chunk of my brain into a permanent residence for disappointment. Honestly, those words are like a haunting melody that follows me around. Just as I'm enjoying a sunset there is Arslainian again... Is there a support group for fans like me? :bangwall:
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post (total 3):
Section_L_AggieThe Old BullcdaAg

#hornsup!

NEAggie

Post by NEAggie » April 2nd, 2024, 4:19 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 4:13 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
I'll counter that rumor with another Rumor leaning towards them staying put. Got, this from a pretty legit source. Yet, as an Aggie who's endured the saga of Arslanian's 'tactical' skyrockets (a.k.a. power punts), I've been conditioned to brace for the worst. The phrase 'they'll never see the punt coming' is practically etched into the walls of my psyche, turning a chunk of my brain into a permanent residence for disappointment. Honestly, those words are like a haunting melody that follows me around. Just as I'm enjoying a sunset there is Arslainian again... Is there a support group for fans like me? :bangwall:
I thought those were called “attack punts”. No matter what they were called, I agree they are terrible memories. This group of Aggie faithful might be your only support group.
These users thanked the author NEAggie for the post (total 3):
Blue SageAggieArmyFoolonthehill

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » April 2nd, 2024, 4:25 pm

NEAggie wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 4:19 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 4:13 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
I thought those were called “attack punts”. No matter what they were called, I agree they are terrible memories. This group of Aggie faithful might be your only support group.
Whatever they were called... they were punts on 3rd down... there is no recovering from that... It will always be part of you. ;) :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author The Old Bull for the post (total 2):
Blue SageFoolonthehill

Full

Post by Full » April 2nd, 2024, 4:50 pm

I thought this was as good as an introduction to the coach as anything. It made me even more excited to watch the team next year. https://open.spotify.com/episode/59xEKP ... ZBhM9mQP7Q
These users thanked the author Full for the post (total 2):
BluestarRoy McAvoy

MrBiggle

Re: Jerrod Calhoun Interview with Scotty

Post by MrBiggle » April 2nd, 2024, 5:55 pm

Any link for Apple Podcasts?

Where only sage brush grows

jackattack

Post by jackattack » April 2nd, 2024, 6:06 pm

Aglicious wrote:

I can imagine he probably doesn’t. It’s not like he’s the head coach and seems like he wants to win a championship or anything. :sarcasm:

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 2nd, 2024, 6:09 pm

Wow this guy gives a great interview. Basketball junkie, this guy will win!
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
Blue Sage

GUS

Post by GUS » April 2nd, 2024, 8:30 pm

I have to admit after listening to Diana Sabau's interview with Scotty that my opinion of her went way up. I guess I assumed that she was a bit of a diversity hire before. After listening to her she is on top of things. She impressed me. Could be the best athletic director we've had.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
AggieBlues

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 2nd, 2024, 9:14 pm

GUS wrote:I have to admit after listening to Diana Sabau's interview with Scotty that my opinion of her went way up. I guess I assumed that she was a bit of a diversity hire before. After listening to her she is on top of things. She impressed me. Could be the best athletic director we've had.
She could be a diversity hire AND great at her job. That's kind of the point, to interview candidates you wouldn't have seen normally to gain access to underrepresented talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 10):
bigblue32GreenAgNAggsty ButlerSweepDanceMetsJetsAggiesReal Life AggieAGinNEIowaisrredcavernaggieAggieBlues

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 2nd, 2024, 9:34 pm

A couple of interesting points:

1. He and his wife have talked about it for 2-3 weeks
2. Mentioned he will bring multiple staff with him from Youngstown and is also going to interview others at the final 4.

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » April 2nd, 2024, 9:42 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:34 pm
A couple of interesting points:

1. He and his wife have talked about it for 2-3 weeks
2. Mentioned he will bring multiple staff with him from Youngstown and is also going to interview others at the final 4.
I think a part of that bit is he hasn’t had the chance to make official decisions just as Danny hasn’t officially done yet either. We didn’t even hire Danny til after the final four last year. I am hearing really good things about coach. Specifically his ability to retain the players. Deep breaths and remember that one can meter the portal and come right on back, this isn’t football lol

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » April 2nd, 2024, 9:43 pm

Fantastic interview. Been pretty unsure about the hire to this point, but man that’s the type of interview to get you sucked into his vision.

One point that really excites me: youth summer camps.

1,000 basketball-minded youths from a 6 hour radius getting exposure to Logan, the Spectrum, and Aggie Ice Cream. This is the type of move than can shift the perception of the whole University in the state of Utah for future generations. Love it.
These users thanked the author Aggs&Jazz12 for the post (total 2):
FullAggieBlues

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » April 2nd, 2024, 9:53 pm

Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:43 pm
Fantastic interview. Been pretty unsure about the hire to this point, but man that’s the type of interview to get you sucked into his vision.

1,000 basketball-minded youths from a 6 hour radius getting exposure to Logan, the Spectrum, and Aggie Ice Cream. This is the type of move than can shift the perception of the whole University in the state of Utah for future generations. Love it.
I really liked that as well. At the very least it even gets kids on campus to see how great Utah State is. Obviously not all of those kids will end up going to play basketball
Here but they might become students

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 2nd, 2024, 10:01 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:53 pm
Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:

I really liked that as well. At the very least it even gets kids on campus to see how great Utah State is. Obviously not all of those kids will end up going to play basketball
I came from out of state for a team basketball camp in High school helped me decide to go to USU. Even though we were on the top floor of the towers and not allowed to use the Elevator.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 2nd, 2024, 10:03 pm

bigblue32 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:42 pm
remember that one can meter the portal and come right on back, this isn’t football lol
It's not a matter of you can meter it in basketball and come back, while you can't meter it in football. It's more a matter of an unwritten rule that when there is a coaching change, you can leave before the announcement of the new coach and then decide to come back. It depends on the coach, but most coaches are going to, when they are returning to a school the following season, decide not to let kids test the waters of the portal and have a safe landing spot.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 3rd, 2024, 1:01 am

Great interview. I’m excited to see what he can do.

bigblue32
Pick'em Champ - '23 FB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue32 » April 3rd, 2024, 6:51 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 10:03 pm
bigblue32 wrote:
remember that one can meter the portal and come right on back, this isn’t football lol
It's not a matter of you can meter it in basketball and come back, while you can't meter it in football. It's more a matter of an unwritten rule that when there is a coaching change, you can leave before the announcement of the new coach and then decide to come back. It depends on the coach, but most coaches are going to, when they are returning to a school the following season, decide not to let kids test the waters of the portal and have a safe landing spot.
Oh I’m aware, just knowing Blake has a hardline position on it

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 7:18 am

bigblue32 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 6:51 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 10:03 pm
bigblue32 wrote:
Oh I’m aware, just knowing Blake has a hardline position on it
For how much we can and do go after Blake for stuff like his approach to the Alabama game, playing a hobbled Bonner over Legas, even going after him for how many false starts and other bad penalties we have seen, not using Levi Williams more, even his use of personnel at positions besides quarterback, his hardline position on not allowing kids to test the waters of the portal and come back is the right call and what has to be done.

He did let Thompkins come back cause he left under GA 2.0, but then decided to come back after he knew he would be the coach. But since then, when we weren't going through changes, Blake has had to not let other kids other years come back cause he needed to not set a precedent that other kids can do it. But at any other school where Blake is the head coach at, he likely will be the same way letting back the kids who enter the portal before they know he is their coach the first year, but not allow kids back the other years.

Calhoun will certainly try to get Mason back THIS year, but he likely, IF he is returning as our coach next year for a start, and in each year he does come back for, similarly have to not allow players to test the waters of the portal and come back with a safe landing spot.

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » April 3rd, 2024, 12:11 pm

TrueAG wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 10:01 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:53 pm
Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:

I came from out of state for a team basketball camp in High school helped me decide to go to USU. Even though we were on the top floor of the towers and not allowed to use the Elevator.
Seems like the type of pipeline to gaining quality Hurd members who will keep the Spectrum Magic alive as well.

Aggieblue1

Post by Aggieblue1 » April 3rd, 2024, 12:23 pm

It was fun to go to the News Conference, the entire team was there including all of the big three players including the Benson boy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Osobor is not as big in person as he looks on the tube! and the Costa Rica young man is pretty friendly he was talking to everyone in the room.
These users thanked the author Aggieblue1 for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleAggie84025

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 3rd, 2024, 12:53 pm

Aggieblue1 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 12:23 pm
It was fun to go to the News Conference, the entire team was there including all of the big three players including the Benson boy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Osobor is not as big in person as he looks on the tube! and the Costa Rica young man is pretty friendly he was talking to everyone in the room.
I am still shocked every time I read that Martinez is 6'3". Given the way he plays and his athleticism, he just seems like he's 6'7" to me.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21flying_scotsman2.0AggiePT

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic