Asking a coach about staying at a press conference

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Asking a coach about staying at a press conference

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 2nd, 2024, 4:21 pm

Beyond just the media asking Calhoun the question today, I do have to question why ANY media member bothers asking a coach how long they will stay after having success at a press conference, a coach is ALWAYS going to tell the fans what they want to hear. Sprinkle did it last year, Smith did it, and that will be the story of any coach at their press conference, rather it's
1.Calhoun
2. the guy who succeeds him
3. the guy who succeeds BA
4. coaches we hire in either sport 20 years from now
5. Coaches nearly any schools hire, rather it's USU, Wyoming, Sacramento State, Marshall, Georgia Southern, Middle Tennessee State, UTSA, Western Michigan, Cal State Fullerton, or Louisiana Tech, etc. Very few of even the Power 5 schools are going to land a coach that can truthfully say it's their destination job.
6. Football, basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball, track and field, volleyball, swimming, tennis, or lacrosse (at schools that compete at the NCAA scholarship level)
7. Colleges in Brazil that compete in soccer or New Zealand that compete in soccer.

Basically, the words you listen to are the actions of agreeing to extensions with raised buyouts, and seeing other jobs get filled with someone other than your coach.

If someone is REALLY worried about not wanting to make their kids move, they go into a profession other than coaching Division 1 college sports.

The Old Bull

Re: Asking a coach about staying at a press conference

Post by The Old Bull » April 2nd, 2024, 4:39 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 4:21 pm
Beyond just the media asking Calhoun the question today, I do have to question why ANY media member bothers asking a coach how long they will stay after having success at a press conference, a coach is ALWAYS going to tell the fans what they want to hear. Sprinkle did it last year, Smith did it, and that will be the story of any coach at their press conference, rather it's
1.Calhoun
5. Coaches nearly any schools hire, rather it's USU, Wyoming, Sacramento State, Marshall, Georgia Southern, Middle Tennessee State, UTSA, Western Michigan, Cal State Fullerton, or Louisiana Tech, etc. Very few of even the Power 5 schools are going to land a coach that can truthfully say it's their destination job.
6. Football, basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball, track and field, volleyball, swimming, tennis, or lacrosse (at schools that compete at the NCAA scholarship level)
7. Colleges in Brazil that compete in soccer or New Zealand that compete in soccer.

Basically, the words you listen to are the actions of agreeing to extensions with raised buyouts, and seeing other jobs get filled with someone other than your coach.

If someone is REALLY worried about not wanting to make their kids move, they go into a profession other than coaching Division 1 college sports.
I thought Wells handled this best of any coach we have had here in the past 30 years... He just said if people call I owe it to myself and my family to listen... but then went into the coach speak saying it would take special place... I believed that... till he accepted the job at Texas Tech.

Funny thing, about 3/4 of the way through the 18 season(I think it was the New Mexico game) we were sitting behind of group of sophisticated looking folks wearing Texas Tech gear... which I thought was strange. I leaned over and asked my brother if TT was looking for a coach... I looked it up...at that time they hadn't fired their coach yet... But we found out later they were already looking... and Wells was likely already listening, 1 month before Kingsbury was fired.

I do think asking that question is silly... you aren't going to get a straight answer on one side... on the other no matter how you answer it you are going to piss somebody off down the line when you leave.
These users thanked the author The Old Bull for the post:
travelingagg

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 2nd, 2024, 5:48 pm

The Old Bull wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 4:39 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
1.Calhoun

I thought Wells handled this best of any coach we have had here in the past 30 years... He just said if people call I owe it to myself and my family to listen... but then went into the coach speak saying it would take special place... I believed that... till he accepted the job at Texas Tech.

Funny thing, about 3/4 of the way through the 18 season(I think it was the New Mexico game) we were sitting behind of group of sophisticated looking folks wearing Texas Tech gear... which I thought was strange. I leaned over and asked my brother if TT was looking for a coach... I looked it up...at that time they hadn't fired their coach yet... But we found out later they were already looking... and Wells was likely already listening, 1 month before Kingsbury was fired.

I do think asking that question is silly... you aren't going to get a straight answer on one side... on the other no matter how you answer it you are going to piss somebody off down the line when you leave.
Sounds about the right timeline to explain our performance at CSU and then at Boise the next week.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
bigblue32

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 2nd, 2024, 5:55 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 5:48 pm
The Old Bull wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
1.Calhoun

Sounds about the right timeline to explain our performance at CSU and then at Boise the next week.
Having memories of that was why some of us had concerns about how we would perform in the NCAAs. At least Danny stayed focused long enough to get that elusive win. I also remember a few people thinking Blake was ALREADY in negotiations for another job which explained the inexplicable loss to Wyoming in 2021, but it turned out that wasn't true.

twentytwocactus

Post by twentytwocactus » April 3rd, 2024, 12:43 pm

If I was ten years old and my dad who was making 950k a year could then make 3.5 million a year if we moved I think I would be all in on moving.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » April 3rd, 2024, 12:51 pm

For that kind of pay increase, just fly your kids friends cross country to hang out once a month.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 3rd, 2024, 12:55 pm

Asking coaches about whether or not they plan to leave is pointless whether it's at a press conference or elsewhere.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 1:00 pm

The Old Bull wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
1.Calhoun

Wells turned down some offers before accepting Texas Tech. My guess is the other schools were offering a solid raise, but not $18 million.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 3rd, 2024, 1:21 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 12:55 pm
Asking coaches about whether or not they plan to leave is pointless whether it's at a press conference or elsewhere.
Agreed its not like they are going to say yeah i am planning on leaving in 1-2 years. They are always going to spin it that they love the place and their family is all in which is to be expected.

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » April 3rd, 2024, 2:27 pm

Last time I checked, a coach's longevity isn't a metric most people care about.

Take ESPN, for example. The first column includes each team's win/loss record. Other measures the public seems to care about include tournament performance and national rankings.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/standings

I don't care if we're celebrating hiring a new coach in 2025, 2026, and 2027. I do care about our team competing for MWC regular-season and tournament titles, showing up and performing well in the big dance, and competing well against our rivals. If that means we kick a*s, reach our goals, and have to replace our coach every two years, so be it. And each iteration of this cycle happens, we should arguably get stronger and better candidates. Forget a stepping stone; Utah State is a career launcher.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 4th, 2024, 4:31 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 12:51 pm
For that kind of pay increase, just fly your kids friends cross country to hang out once a month.
Not to mention, on a 4 million salary, being able to more easily afford(than you already can on a 900K salary) plane tickets for the kids friends from Youngstown Ohio to fly to Tucson Arizona, along with the friends in Logan Utah they leave behind. As well as a bigger house with more areas where the 4 kids and their groups of friends can all be out of way of each other's friend groups and the adults, as well as more guest rooms with full sized beds for all the kids friends to sleep in when they are visiting.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » April 5th, 2024, 10:52 am

travelingagg wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 2:27 pm
Last time I checked, a coach's longevity isn't a metric most people care about.

Take ESPN, for example. The first column includes each team's win/loss record. Other measures the public seems to care about include tournament performance and national rankings.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/standings

I don't care if we're celebrating hiring a new coach in 2025, 2026, and 2027. I do care about our team competing for MWC regular-season and tournament titles, showing up and performing well in the big dance, and competing well against our rivals. If that means we kick a*s, reach our goals, and have to replace our coach every two years, so be it. And each iteration of this cycle happens, we should arguably get stronger and better candidates. Forget a stepping stone; Utah State is a career launcher.
A friend of mine at work who is a CSU said that "USU is not a stepping stone but a catapult."
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post (total 2):
Pacobagstwinward

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic