Call to Action

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiealum13

Re: Call to Action

Post by Aggiealum13 » April 2nd, 2024, 10:02 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:56 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:50 am
Aggiealum13 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:48 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:43 am
Aggiealum13 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:40 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:32 am
There are theoretical arguments against NIL. Do I wish the NCAA would have pulled its head out of its (I can't express myself without swearing) sooner and put some guardrails on this stuff when it had a chance rather than go all in on amateurism? 100%. But this is now the new reality we are living in. Rather than long for the halcyon days of a bygone era, it's time to be practical. If you can afford it and you care enough about USU athletics to be posting on a fan message board about it, you should probably be contributing rather than free-riding.

And to be clear, I am NOT advocating anyone do anything that stretches their budget.
I'm not a huge fan of it, but you are right it is what it is. We need to have a collective that's at least on par with the Mountain West, and we should try to be at least one of the upper classes of the G5 in NIL. It doesn't have to be P4 type because we'll never get there.
Fact of the matter is, if the average MWC schools had $2 million per year for NIL, the average P4 school would figure out how to get $4 million per year for NIL. We'll never catch up and shouldn't try.

You're right that if Utah State was towards the top of the MWC (and therefore G5), we'd be in a good place.
And to add to that, I do feel a men's basketball is where the greatest amount of NIL needs to be focused on. I love football and I want football to be a big part of the nil collective, but men's basketball is the sport that USU could really put themselves on the map if done right.
Agreed, in football i don't see USU ever being much more competitive than what we have seen over the last 10+ years (which is still really solid). With basketball I actually see USU's ceiling to be much higher and the ability to compete closer to the highest level than in football.
Yep, it's a combination of a few things: (1) the MW is a much better basketball conference than it is a football conference; (2) the numbers game of funding an NIL that's competitive is much easier at a scale of 15 players versus 85 players; (3) our heritage is as a basketball first school.

It's why schools like UNM are "all in" on men's basketball for their NIL. I think the priority of our NIL efforts should definitely be making sure what we have committed to basketball is at the top of the MW before anything else is considered. Our approach to football NIL should basically be a "moneyball" approach, IMO. Just enough to keep us competing for bowl games.

The reality is, no matter how much we commit to football NIL, I don't see our football team ever being able to accomplish anything that felt as cool as winning a single NCAA tourney game.
I will make one massive exception to your last statement. If USU football gets the highest ranking group of five champion designation and goes into the college football playoff and wins a game on the road against more likely a 5 seed, then that'll be much a bigger deal than winning a NCAA tournament game. It is an unlikely scenario I get it but that would be a huge deal.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 2nd, 2024, 10:10 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 10:02 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:56 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:50 am
Aggiealum13 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:48 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:43 am
Aggiealum13 wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:40 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 9:32 am
There are theoretical arguments against NIL. Do I wish the NCAA would have pulled its head out of its (I can't express myself without swearing) sooner and put some guardrails on this stuff when it had a chance rather than go all in on amateurism? 100%. But this is now the new reality we are living in. Rather than long for the halcyon days of a bygone era, it's time to be practical. If you can afford it and you care enough about USU athletics to be posting on a fan message board about it, you should probably be contributing rather than free-riding.

And to be clear, I am NOT advocating anyone do anything that stretches their budget.
I'm not a huge fan of it, but you are right it is what it is. We need to have a collective that's at least on par with the Mountain West, and we should try to be at least one of the upper classes of the G5 in NIL. It doesn't have to be P4 type because we'll never get there.
Fact of the matter is, if the average MWC schools had $2 million per year for NIL, the average P4 school would figure out how to get $4 million per year for NIL. We'll never catch up and shouldn't try.

You're right that if Utah State was towards the top of the MWC (and therefore G5), we'd be in a good place.
And to add to that, I do feel a men's basketball is where the greatest amount of NIL needs to be focused on. I love football and I want football to be a big part of the nil collective, but men's basketball is the sport that USU could really put themselves on the map if done right.
Agreed, in football i don't see USU ever being much more competitive than what we have seen over the last 10+ years (which is still really solid). With basketball I actually see USU's ceiling to be much higher and the ability to compete closer to the highest level than in football.
Yep, it's a combination of a few things: (1) the MW is a much better basketball conference than it is a football conference; (2) the numbers game of funding an NIL that's competitive is much easier at a scale of 15 players versus 85 players; (3) our heritage is as a basketball first school.

It's why schools like UNM are "all in" on men's basketball for their NIL. I think the priority of our NIL efforts should definitely be making sure what we have committed to basketball is at the top of the MW before anything else is considered. Our approach to football NIL should basically be a "moneyball" approach, IMO. Just enough to keep us competing for bowl games.

The reality is, no matter how much we commit to football NIL, I don't see our football team ever being able to accomplish anything that felt as cool as winning a single NCAA tourney game.
I will make one massive exception to your last statement. If USU football gets the highest ranking group of five champion designation and goes into the college football playoff and wins a game on the road against more likely a 5 seed, then that'll be much a bigger deal than winning a NCAA tournament game. It is an unlikely scenario I get it but that would be a huge deal.
Agreed. I just don't see a path where that realistically ever happens.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 2nd, 2024, 11:17 am

Elkaggie wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 7:54 am
BioAggie wrote:
April 2nd, 2024, 12:24 am
I’m sorry, many may criticize me and others like me for not caring enough about the Aggies to donate, but I will never donate. Why? Because it isn’t NIL. What product am I using their Name, Image, or Likeness to advertise or make money off of?

If they want to get paid, go be the face of some company and do their advertisings, sell your image to a video game, (I’m still waiting for NCAA Football and basketball to come out), go endorse Taco Bell, or the Blue bird, or center street grill!

Kids playing with passion, heart and desire is what made college sports fun to watch (and still does).

I know I’m in the minority here, but I don’t watch pro football or basketball because I don’t see the passion that I see in college.

I would rather have a team full of kids that play with passion and heart, than kids that play with a sense of entitlement.

If I only cared about being a fan of the best teams, I would be an Alabama or LSU fan. I am not, I am an Aggie fan. I believe in the Cinderella story.
Thumbs down. Posts like this don’t belong here imo.
Yeah! This fan board doesn't wany any opinions on relevant sports topics!
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiiaggiesdidwhat

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 3rd, 2024, 4:03 pm

With Osobor, Martinez, and Falslev in the portal and Danny Sprinkle gone; how much should I donate to keep them all and to which funds?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » April 3rd, 2024, 4:10 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:03 pm
With Osobor, Martinez, and Falslev in the portal and Danny Sprinkle gone; how much should I donate to keep them all and to which funds?
If that is your goal... I would keep your money in your pocket. A more realistic goal would be to fund a competitive Mountain West roster year in and year out. That is doable. The ship has sailed on keeping all of those guys. We will be lucky to keep one of them.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 3rd, 2024, 4:16 pm

So I’m supposed to root for a new team every year? Sounds fun. Before you at me, I’m as die hard of a fan as there is. This is just getting ridiculous
Last edited by dyedblue on April 3rd, 2024, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 4):
aggiesdidwhathipsterdoofus21Aggie84025cval

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » April 3rd, 2024, 4:20 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:16 pm
So supposed to root fora new team every year? Sounds fun. Before you at me, I’m as die hard of a fan as there is. This is just getting ridiculous
I think you are in the majority here. Probably time to just rip the band aid off and make them employees that the University pays. Get rid of the Student stipulation and eligibility requirements. They are professional athletes, they should be treated as such.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 3rd, 2024, 4:26 pm

Does Utah State make money on basketball?

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » April 3rd, 2024, 7:32 pm

The Old Bull wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:10 pm
dyedblue wrote:
If that is your goal... I would keep your money in your pocket. A more realistic goal would be to fund a competitive Mountain West roster year in and year out. That is doable. The ship has sailed on keeping all of those guys. We will be lucky to keep one of them.
I'm sorry sir you are so very wrong.

If you have excellent funds management at the collective you can generate a cash flow situation off of investments and cash-producing assets on an annual basis. I think the collective has a great start considering where we are at.

The intelligent play is cut your losses and stop spending on left players. Keep the ones at the MW level of funds today ...

Next 2 maybe 3 years the collective can have more NIL funds than most low teir P5 schools, **if invested and managed effectively and professionally, the collective will produce a passive cash flow which can include $3-8M on an annual basis. This is what we should be spending funds on. Not players that we have lost already. If the players are in the portal consider them gone. Stop being emotional about this, be business-minded and that will help rational decision making.

I think its a poor excuse to keep thinking that $1M-3M is a lot of $$ in the business world, because it's not, there are businesses that have that kind of revenue on a monthly basis, this is not a lot of $$.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 3rd, 2024, 7:42 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 7:32 pm
The Old Bull wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

If you have excellent funds management at the collective you can generate a cash flow situation off of investments and cash-producing assets on an annual basis. I think the collective has a great start considering where we are at.

The intelligent play is cut your losses and stop spending on left players. Keep the ones at the MW level of funds today ...

Next 2 maybe 3 years the collective can have more NIL funds than most low teir P5 schools, **if invested and managed effectively and professionally, the collective will produce a passive cash flow which can include $3-8M on an annual basis. This is what we should be spending funds on. Not players that we have lost already. If the players are in the portal consider them gone. Stop being emotional about this, be business-minded and that will help rational decision making.

I think its a poor excuse to keep thinking that $1M-3M is a lot of $$ in the business world, because it's not, there are businesses that have that kind of revenue on a monthly basis, this is not a lot of $$.
Are you a financial advisor by trade?

Not sent from Tapatalk

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 3rd, 2024, 7:50 pm

Now that we know Great and Ian aren’t staying, I think you pivot to making the best offers you can, within reason, to keep Mason and Uduje here with the freed up NIL money. Then you pivot hard to money balling together a killer roster from the portal.

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » April 3rd, 2024, 7:58 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
The Old Bull wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

So you start out telling me how wrong I am… then end agreeing with me. Cool 👍🏻🤷🏼‍♂️

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 3rd, 2024, 8:03 pm

dyedblue wrote:
So I’m supposed to root for a new team every year? Sounds fun. Before you at me, I’m as die hard of a fan as there is. This is just getting ridiculous
I feel this too. We’re all cheering for laundry to some extent, but losing every contributor two years in a row would feel pretty (I can't express myself without swearing).

I’d really like to hold onto at least Isaac and Josh to have some level of continuity next year. The guys that shine the brightest are always gonna find more money elsewhere, but if we really have even $500k to commit to NIL as suggested by Eric Laub, I’d be really disappointed to lose everyone again.

I don’t expect us to keep Great or Ian after seasons like they’ve had, but we should be competitive NIL-wise when it comes to the market for guys like Isaac, Josh, and Mason, IMO.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
cval

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 3rd, 2024, 8:13 pm

TrueAG wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 4:26 pm
Technically speaking nil cash doesn’t come from the university. It’s from donors and businesses. So doesn’t directly impact the program earnings. Indirectly as people will shift a portion of their donations from the program/school to athletes who could leave tomorrow.

Tell me where any of this provides a donor or really a business any kind of roi. This whole thing is ridiculous.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 3rd, 2024, 8:53 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 8:03 pm
dyedblue wrote:
I feel this too. We’re all cheering for laundry to some extent, but losing every contributor two years in a row would feel pretty (I can't express myself without swearing).

I’d really like to hold onto at least Isaac and Josh to have some level of continuity next year. The guys that shine the brightest are always gonna find more money elsewhere, but if we really have even $500k to commit to NIL as suggested by Eric Laub, I’d be really disappointed to lose everyone again.

I don’t expect us to keep Great or Ian after seasons like they’ve had, but we should be competitive NIL-wise when it comes to the market for guys like Isaac, Josh, and Mason, IMO.
My point is trying to buy back players that are leaving, it’s never losing them in the first place. If we were playing Great $250k he’d still be gone. If we paid Sprinkles $2M, he’d still be gone…

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » April 3rd, 2024, 9:00 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 8:13 pm
TrueAG wrote:
Technically speaking nil cash doesn’t come from the university. It’s from donors and businesses. So doesn’t directly impact the program earnings. Indirectly as people will shift a portion of their donations from the program/school to athletes who could leave tomorrow.

Tell me where any of this provides a donor or really a business any kind of roi. This whole thing is ridiculous.
I’m Sure businesses in Cache Valley see an uptick in business on game days when the Aggies are great.

I’m also sure there are a lot of people that like to buy from businesses who are huge supporters of athletics but there isn’t a huge return for them, no.

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » April 3rd, 2024, 9:16 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
The Old Bull wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Wow, golly! A million a month. Never thought I’d live to see the day. Must be talking about Tesla or something. Tell me more about the business world.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 3rd, 2024, 9:42 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
The Old Bull wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Judging by your comment, “ **if invested and managed effectively and professionally” I’m guessing this is something you have experience in?

I’m curious then what are some examples of type of investments in this scenario that produce cash flow like that? I’m not asking what you recommend, but just in general. What would something like that even look like?

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 3rd, 2024, 9:47 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 8:13 pm
TrueAG wrote:

Its 100% emotion and adrenaline based ROI and as long as long time donors and boosters need the fan rush and have a deep fear of their team falling behind and becoming irrelevant the bidding wars will continue. Simple as that.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 3rd, 2024, 10:08 pm

I just have to get used to cheering for the Aggies, and not getting attached to the players. The old days are gone, but I’ll always be an Aggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Full

Post by Full » April 3rd, 2024, 10:19 pm

I’m old enough to remember a few months ago when the collective was talked about as a way to retain players, rather than as an incentive to new players to sign. It seems that pivoted really quick with unlimited transfers to renting the best players for a season. I’m happy there are people with more disposable income than me allowing USU to remain competitive. The other option is to follow SJSU and Air Force. I hope they fix the mess that is college athletics soon because I don’t think it’s sustainable. I’ll continue my 59.56 donation a month and hope enough people agree to make some sort of impact. It’s a little discouraging when you hear MW rosters need $500k a year to be competitive when to my $700 a year feels like it would be more impactful to me than the player receiving it.
Last edited by Full on April 3rd, 2024, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » April 3rd, 2024, 10:22 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 9:42 pm
LoveMyAggies wrote:
The Old Bull wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Judging by your comment, “ **if invested and managed effectively and professionally” I’m guessing this is something you have experience in?

I’m curious then what are some examples of type of investments in this scenario that produce cash flow like that? I’m not asking what you recommend, but just in general. What would something like that even look like?
Okay I looked up a specific example on google in about 1 min. I'm sure you can look up many cash flowing businesses and entities you are more familiar with.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... _1k.htm#i7

There are many investment funds out there with specific investment interests professionally managed, with a wide variety of funds deployed. Some people are very simple investors themselves and use mutual funds and are happy with 10-12% return annually. Most people can figure out what amount we would need better than I can. All I'm saying we are trying to pour a bunch of cash into a pot and empty it out in the next 30-45 days. Wash rinse and repeat. I look at that as emotional decisions and poorly managed. We are better than that. We can build up the collective funds to a very sizeable amount into the multiple millions and grow off the asset cash flow and compounding interest.

There are so many options available it would take a long time to explain each in detail and numerous months of posts.
agriculture farms
dairy farms
apartment buildings
horse breeding for racing purposes
Innovative new tech development
pharma research and development

these I just pulled off the top of my head.

Now look up their SEC filing for the annual shareholder reports, I'm sure many of you have 401k's that mail you these. You can look at the stuff you are funded into and learn about it and see if you could have done better. IE Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger are well known to follow their investment decisions. ie Berkshire-Hathaway. The stock traders on wall street should just be called gamblers, avoid those traps, IMHO.

Anyway, this particular example of one combined fund cash flows on this asset allocation $7M over 12 months.

Looks like this group has over 10+ funds for which they file SEC reports annually. You know for example.

Old timer I was trying to tell dyedblue that his funds should just be kept, I think they can be important to the collective, just I don't see the point in saying for him to just keep his funds. A better placed investment into cash flowing assets that he can use to support the collective, monthly, quarterly, etc depending on what the strategy that the collective plans to do with the surplus funds not going to players this next year.

This is just my suggestion, raise funds, 10 or 20 ... 50+ M for the collective. Buy cash-flowing asset interests in proffesionally managed funds, take the cashflow needed annually for NIL and coach salaries, while the rest of the fund continues to grow exponentially.

Albrecht was able to raise over 400M+ while he was president for the school endowment. My only question is this, how have these funds been managed by the school trustees, and have they figured out how to grow those funds in a positive annual way??

https://www.hjnews.com/allaccess/usu-pr ... 887a.html
Attachments
Screen Shot 2024-04-03 at 20.57.00.png
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyflying_scotsman2.0

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » April 3rd, 2024, 10:51 pm

Isn’t most of the nil money coming from donors who would normally donate the money to the school? How will the Universities make up for the money that is lost?

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 3rd, 2024, 11:36 pm

blueaggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 10:51 pm
Isn’t most of the nil money coming from donors who would normally donate the money to the school? How will the Universities make up for the money that is lost?
I'm not entirely sure where the funding for USU men's basketball is originating from. I've donated myself, partly because I saw a chance to help retain some of our key players and partly because I felt a strong urge to stick it to Sprinkle. Yes, I admit, there's a hint of vindictiveness in my support. Now, as we've shifted our focus to the long-term strategy, it should be our goal for our funds to mature through investments. Honestly, if even 3,000 of us contribute at the minimum support level, it could be enough to start generating a significant return on the fund. From what I understand, many are now diverting their usual gambling funds to invest in the team, effectively impacting Vegas's profits in our favor. :) For those contemplating attending an away game, perhaps consider investing that travel budget into the fund instead this year. It's like planting a seed for future growth, the goal being to out-plant our conference rivals as early as possible. This year has highlighted the importance of NIL. If we learn from this year and aggressively respond, there's hope for us yet. Otherwise, the only echoes in the spectrum might be the intermittent cheers of support from family there supporting a player on the team and a few of us die-hards whose cheers will only occasionally barely mask the sounds of squeaky shoes, referees' whistles, and the coaches yelling to box out. Will we compete with the big boys, no but we can dominate our competition and still get a seed in the dance and defeat the big boys in the National Championship. :)
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
blueaggie

#hornsup!

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » April 4th, 2024, 12:33 am

LoveMyAggies wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 10:22 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 9:42 pm
LoveMyAggies wrote:
The Old Bull wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Okay I looked up a specific example on google in about 1 min. I'm sure you can look up many cash flowing businesses and entities you are more familiar with.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... _1k.htm#i7

There are many investment funds out there with specific investment interests professionally managed, with a wide variety of funds deployed. Some people are very simple investors themselves and use mutual funds and are happy with 10-12% return annually. Most people can figure out what amount we would need better than I can. All I'm saying we are trying to pour a bunch of cash into a pot and empty it out in the next 30-45 days. Wash rinse and repeat. I look at that as emotional decisions and poorly managed. We are better than that. We can build up the collective funds to a very sizeable amount into the multiple millions and grow off the asset cash flow and compounding interest.

There are so many options available it would take a long time to explain each in detail and numerous months of posts.
agriculture farms
dairy farms
apartment buildings
horse breeding for racing purposes
Innovative new tech development
pharma research and development

these I just pulled off the top of my head.

Now look up their SEC filing for the annual shareholder reports, I'm sure many of you have 401k's that mail you these. You can look at the stuff you are funded into and learn about it and see if you could have done better. IE Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger are well known to follow their investment decisions. ie Berkshire-Hathaway. The stock traders on wall street should just be called gamblers, avoid those traps, IMHO.

Anyway, this particular example of one combined fund cash flows on this asset allocation $7M over 12 months.

Looks like this group has over 10+ funds for which they file SEC reports annually. You know for example.

Old timer I was trying to tell dyedblue that his funds should just be kept, I think they can be important to the collective, just I don't see the point in saying for him to just keep his funds. A better placed investment into cash flowing assets that he can use to support the collective, monthly, quarterly, etc depending on what the strategy that the collective plans to do with the surplus funds not going to players this next year.

This is just my suggestion, raise funds, 10 or 20 ... 50+ M for the collective. Buy cash-flowing asset interests in proffesionally managed funds, take the cashflow needed annually for NIL and coach salaries, while the rest of the fund continues to grow exponentially.

Albrecht was able to raise over 400M+ while he was president for the school endowment. My only question is this, how have these funds been managed by the school trustees, and have they figured out how to grow those funds in a positive annual way??

https://www.hjnews.com/allaccess/usu-pr ... 887a.html
Hey kid, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.. or if you are even responding to me... BUT If you read my post(the part you bolded) then said I was wrong... maybe I am giving you to much credit but I assume you read it? I was clearly saying if his goal was to keep our current players who have already hit the portal and our past coach who has already moved on... then he would be better off keeping his money because it isn't going to happen. And if he donates on that premise he will only be disappointed and disillusioned. After telling me how wrong I was, you then take 3 paragraphs to say the same thing I said in a couple of sentences. :headscratch: Seems like we agree on the best approach but you still cant see it?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 4th, 2024, 6:40 am

So if I’m understanding this correctly, I’m supposed to donate a truckload of money (all of us) to create an endowment where the interest on this money can be used to buy a competitive roster every year because it will be enough to get them here, but not enough to retain them? Right. Screw this crap. I’ll buy my tickets and cheer on whoever runs out that tunnel wearing white, but they’re not getting my money until this is fixed. The fans deserve better and throwing good money after bad is not worth it to me. I’m not independently wealthy and I’d rather pay for my own kids’ education.

I don’t blame the kids for chasing $$$, but count me out.

Next year was set up to build on this year and could have been one of our best ever…
Last edited by dyedblue on April 4th, 2024, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 6):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiFloridaAggie13NVAggieAggiePTcvalUSUaggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 4th, 2024, 7:17 am

dyedblue wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 6:40 am
So if I’m understanding this correctly, I’m supposed to state s truckload of money (all of us) to create an endowment where the the interest on this money can be used to buy a competitive roster every year because it will be enough to get them here, but but enough to retain them? Right. Screw this crap. I’ll buy my tickets and cheer on whoever runs it that tunnel wearing white, but they’re not getting my money until this is fixed. The fans deserve better and throwing good money after bad is not worth it to me. I’m not independently wealthy and I’d rather pay for my own kids’ education.

I don’t blame the kids for chasing $$$, but count me out.

Next year was set up to build on this year and could have been one of our best ever…
Yeah pretty much my feelings. I'm still going to be an Aggie fan and I'll pay to go to the games, but not going to give to some collective with the current state of college sports and specifically USU losing their best players every year.

bpd

Post by bpd » April 4th, 2024, 7:27 am

One might argue that the collective worked for football, but MAY not work for basketball because the coaching change. I still thing we retain some players.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 4th, 2024, 7:46 am

bpd wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 7:27 am
One might argue that the collective worked for football, but MAY not work for basketball because the coaching change. I still thing we retain some players.
What did help in football is one player has a lifelong attachment to the Aggies, growing up with them being his favorite team, something that won't be the story every year. Still, we are in an uphill battle trying to hold on to the basketball guy who did grow up in the valley, but even THAT guy signed with Utah out of high school so it may not have always been automatic he was going to come and stay here cause he was from here.

And what may have helped with our top 3 football guys this last go-around was that they have potential to make the money in the NFL so aren't in now or never position, whereas we don't have any BB guys that are locks to go to the NBA and most of them probably KNOW they aren't going to the NBA so it is more of a now or never situation for them to go make the money.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » April 4th, 2024, 12:15 pm

That one player in basketball could have been Mason but instead he was the first one to enter the portal. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Too bad they all didn’t say hey we could do something very special next year. Maybe even win a National Championship. Let’s get a few more extra players and get it done with Coach Calhoun! It also makes me wonder what could’ve happened this year if we would’ve had Shulga, Bairstow, and Ashworth on the team. Sweet 16? Elite 8? Final 4?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic