Why tf are we so secretive?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
flying_scotsman2.0

Why tf are we so secretive?

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 29th, 2024, 9:05 am

Who the hell cares if a lead candidate or candidate list is leaked? Obviously the fans want to know. It’s not like the SEC is going to break down the doors if news leaks…

Heisenberg

Re: Why tf are we so secretive?

Post by Heisenberg » March 29th, 2024, 9:17 am

I can only speak for myself but I really like the fact that the AD's office has been so disciplined to keep this close to the vest. My hat's off! :thanks:
These users thanked the author Heisenberg for the post (total 2):
CacheCowtjensen_25

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 29th, 2024, 9:18 am

Makes it harder for candidate to use USU rumors just to renegotiate with their current employer?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » March 29th, 2024, 9:20 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 9:18 am
Makes it harder for candidate to use USU rumors just to renegotiate with their current employer?
But as witnessed yesterday.. you cant stop rumors.
These users thanked the author The Old Bull for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » March 29th, 2024, 9:20 am

It's been awhile since we have had professionals in the AD. Don't worry. It will grow on you.
These users thanked the author GordoAggie for the post (total 6):
HeisenbergProvoAggieflying_scotsman2.0CacheCowtjensen_25bluegrouse

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 29th, 2024, 9:27 am

GordoAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 9:20 am
It's been awhile since we have had professionals in the AD. Don't worry. It will grow on you.
Names leak all the time well ahead of time at the biggest and most financially well off universities. Are none of their AD's "professional"?

Take Ohio St. for one example. It was leaked well ahead that they were going to hire their own assistant before it actually happened.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » March 29th, 2024, 9:32 am

GordoAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 9:20 am
Seems like I have heard this same argument every time we hire a new AD. I can only remember back to Chuck Bell and I was pretty young. Who was the last professional AD we had at Utah State? Maybe Rance Pugmire? ;) :lol:

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » March 29th, 2024, 9:56 am

Heisenberg wrote:I can only speak for myself but I really like the fact that the AD's office has been so disciplined to keep this close to the vest. My hat's off! :thanks:
I agree. While it can be frustrating for fans, I actually think it’s a good thing and I have no problem with it.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
tjensen_25

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 29th, 2024, 10:06 am

I have no problem with the AD, I’m just asking why? What’s the benefit and purpose of making everyone involved in the search sign an NDA? I guess just to avoid embarrassment if we’re told no by our top 1-2 candidates?

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 29th, 2024, 11:30 am

I can think of multiple reasons to keep the process as quiet as possible:

1) If a coach's name is linked to a job and they aren't hired, that can hurt their future recruiting because recruits think that they are trying to leave town. So many coaches don't want their names out there.

2) If there are media reports that another candidate is the frontrunner, a candidate may withdraw his name rather than potentially get rejected and have to re-recruit his players. The SL Tribune reported that Stew withdrew his name from consideration at Utah after the media reported that Trent Johnson was their top candidate. (And of course Johnson ended up at Stanford, so Utah had to settle for their #3 choice.)

3) If a school fails to sign their choice/top 2-3 choices, then everyone will know that they had to settle for their #3/#4 choice. That tends to depress fan interest/excitement. It also makes the job look less desirable the next time that there is an opening.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 29th, 2024, 11:32 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 11:30 am
I can think of multiple reasons to keep the process as quiet as possible:

1) If a coach's name is linked to a job and they aren't hired, that can hurt their future recruiting because recruits think that they are trying to leave town. So many coaches don't want their names out there.

2) If there are media reports that another candidate is the frontrunner, a candidate may withdraw his name rather than potentially get rejected and have to re-recruit his players. The SL Tribune reported that Stew withdrew his name from consideration at Utah after the media reported that Trent Johnson was their top candidate. (And of course Johnson ended up at Stanford, so Utah had to settle for their #3 choice.)

3) If a school fails to sign their choice/top 2-3 choices, then everyone will know that they had to settle for their #3/#4 choice. That tends to depress fan interest/excitement. It also makes the job look less desirable the next time that there is an opening.
Same reason your wife doesn't need to know every girl you've dated or made out with when you get married.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
trevordudeAggie84025

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » March 29th, 2024, 11:35 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 10:06 am
I have no problem with the AD, I’m just asking why? What’s the benefit and purpose of making everyone involved in the search sign an NDA? I guess just to avoid embarrassment if we’re told no by our top 1-2 candidates?
I'd guess that's part of it.

It's a pretty bad look when a name "leaks", everyone gets excited about it, then they return to their current job with a nice cushy raise because of it. Not saying that's happening here, but I completely understand why the AD wouldn't want reactionary fans to have premature reactions.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic