TAMPERING

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
rickjames23

TAMPERING

Post by rickjames23 » March 27th, 2024, 10:21 am

what defines tampering? If Danny were to talk to our players about the possibility of them going to Washington without them joining the portal first would that technically be considered tampering? Has Danny been tampering with our recruits since February? :lol:
These users thanked the author rickjames23 for the post:
ViAggie

Aggie84025

Re: TAMPERING

Post by Aggie84025 » March 27th, 2024, 10:23 am

Pretty much anything goes right now in college athletics. It is pretty much do as you please.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 4):
TetonkatestViAggieaggies22MrBiggle

rickjames23

Post by rickjames23 » March 27th, 2024, 10:24 am

So if qualtrics university were to start contacting players without them joining the portal that is fine?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 27th, 2024, 10:25 am

rickjames23 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 10:24 am
So if qualtrics university were to start contacting players without them joining the portal that is fine?
It certainly is not fine but i can't imagine the NCAA will enforce it.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
ViAggieaggies22

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » March 27th, 2024, 10:27 am

It's the wild wild west.......and it sucks!
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post:
ViAggie

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 27th, 2024, 10:28 am

Is something illegal if it's not enforced? Not really.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
Slim80AngusAg

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Full

Post by Full » March 27th, 2024, 10:33 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 10:25 am
rickjames23 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 10:24 am
It certainly is not fine but i can't imagine the NCAA will enforce it.
If they admit to doing wrong the NCAA will punish them. If they deny the allegations and fire the 14 year old under the hoop with the mop the NCAA will do nothing except perhaps sanction UVU.

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » March 27th, 2024, 10:35 am

rickjames23 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 10:21 am
what defines tampering? If Danny were to talk to our players about the possibility of them going to Washington without them joining the portal first would that technically be considered tampering? Has Danny been tampering with our recruits since February? :lol:
I think at the February luncheon William said our players are contacted by agents every week. I would say under the current climate there is no such thing as tampering.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 27th, 2024, 10:37 am

See Collette, David for an example of what the NCAA will not do against tampering. He is recorded as having said Utah actively recruited him as he was playing for USU. Crickets from the NCAA. Nothing- and it's even worse now than it was back then.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » March 27th, 2024, 10:38 am

Here's a quote from Eric Laub in a Tribune Article:

“The frustrating part is there are so many slimy agents and third-party people that will reach out to players that we have, both football and basketball, right now. They will say, ‘Hey, I’m not affiliated with this university. But if you come here, I’ve got $500,000 waiting for you.’ That’s the frustrating part with all the tampering in recruiting. You get a guy, develop him for two years and they have a breakout year, and then they can go get a half a million bucks somewhere.”

The stench is real and happens daily. The NCAA is worthless in reigning this mess in and establishing some beneficial policies.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 27th, 2024, 10:39 am

Everyone uses go betweens. My people will talk to your people..

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 27th, 2024, 10:42 am

Madmartigan wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 10:37 am
See Collette, David for an example of what the NCAA will not do against tampering. He is recorded as having said Utah actively recruited him as he was playing for USU. Crickets from the NCAA. Nothing- and it's even worse now than it was back then.
Which is also why it is insane that people have suggested that we hire larry krystkowiak.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 3):
MrBiggleMadmartiganflying_scotsman2.0

cval

Post by cval » March 27th, 2024, 10:53 am

Coaches and players are not going to tell on each other because then the opportunities would dry up.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 27th, 2024, 10:57 am

Slim80 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 10:38 am
Here's a quote from Eric Laub in a Tribune Article:

“The frustrating part is there are so many slimy agents and third-party people that will reach out to players that we have, both football and basketball, right now. They will say, ‘Hey, I’m not affiliated with this university. But if you come here, I’ve got $500,000 waiting for you.’ That’s the frustrating part with all the tampering in recruiting. You get a guy, develop him for two years and they have a breakout year, and then they can go get a half a million bucks somewhere.”

The stench is real and happens daily. The NCAA is worthless in reigning this mess in and establishing some beneficial policies.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all as far as it being a hot mess that no other sports league could survive. The NCAA needs Anti-trust exemptions, multiple leagues, salary caps, and uniform contract rules for players and coaches with anti-tampering teeth.

At least that what I think it needs. The amount of NIL market money out their for this insane product continues to prove me wrong but long term something has got to give.

But on the other hand blaming a player or agents for finding their current market value in this system is also unfair. So what we developed the players. They are not under long term contract and if we want to keep them we got to pay them what their worth in the market. A market that seems to be pretty healthy.

The real question is do we want to play this game. The consensus with the funding of a collective says yes. How bad these donors wants to play the game as the ante goes up will determine whether the Aggies stay competitive at this level. If another school's donors offer a guy $500K that's just his market value and if you don't like it ante up.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Slim80

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 27th, 2024, 11:14 am

Sprinkles leaving us was one of the worst-kept secrets in modern college sports, hell we were even interviewing prospects before the tourney even started. No doubt he's been "interviewing" his prospective "employees" at UDub.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 27th, 2024, 11:18 am

ViAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:14 am
Sprinkles leaving us was one of the worst-kept secrets in modern college sports, hell we were even interviewing prospects before the tourney even started. No doubt he's been "interviewing" his prospective "employees" at UDub.
Sprinkle has recently admitted publicly that he was talking with Washington during the season. I figured all that was handled through agents for plausible deniability. Yesterday he openly admitted he had personally talked to WA during season:

"(On negotiations with UW) “I did have some conversations with Troy and my agent had a lot, but obviously we were still playing and I didn’t have that much time. I was letting my agent, Bret Just, who did a phenomenal job with this deal handle a lot of it.”

Here is full article for context, which has some other interesting comments on his plans for assistants as well as a comment on Purdue game:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... 1711490902

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 27th, 2024, 11:27 am

SHOW ME THE MONEY

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » March 27th, 2024, 12:01 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:18 am
ViAggie wrote:
Sprinkle has recently admitted publicly that he was talking with Washington during the season. I figured all that was handled through agents for plausible deniability. Yesterday he openly admitted he had personally talked to WA during season:

"(On negotiations with UW) “I did have some conversations with Troy and my agent had a lot, but obviously we were still playing and I didn’t have that much time. I was letting my agent, Bret Just, who did a phenomenal job with this deal handle a lot of it.”

Here is full article for context, which has some other interesting comments on his plans for assistants as well as a comment on Purdue game:

The comment section is spot on

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 27th, 2024, 12:12 pm

GordoAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:01 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

Yeah I didn't know DS and the former UW coach have the same agent. No wonder there was no chance to retain him.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 27th, 2024, 12:23 pm

The Purdue game was basically him scouting for next season.
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post:
ViAggie

Where only sage brush grows

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 27th, 2024, 12:35 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:12 pm
GordoAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:01 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

Yeah I didn't know DS and the former UW coach have the same agent. No wonder there was no chance to retain him.
Yeah, that was an interesting tidbit. Makes it all the more evident that this had been going on and in the works for quite some time. Also no coincidence that the highly touted HS recruit, Terrence Hill Jr., that he spent so much time on is also from the Pacific NW.

No wonder DS always looked so disinterested and unemotional about anything USU related. When asked if he would retain any of the UW assistants he replies: "I’m as loyal as they get and I want to take care of the people who have taken care of me and my guys who have been with me at Montana State...."
:lol: not even a mention that he is coming from Utah State or that these assistants have been with him at his most recent coaching job. He must have really disliked USU and already put a mental block on the past year. As far as he's concerned, he's coming from Montana St.

Like most of these guys, he's a used car salesman, he'll say whatever you want to hear with 99% of it being complete lies.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 27th, 2024, 12:43 pm

So we allowed to be mad about how it all went down yet or not?

Do we just have to stick our head in our (I can't express myself without swearing) and take our lashings and be happy about it?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 27th, 2024, 12:49 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:43 pm

Do we just have to stick our head in our (I can't express myself without swearing) and take our lashings and be happy about it?
as the saying goes... it is what it is.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 27th, 2024, 1:00 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:

I am happy about the season and winning the MWC regular season title as well as an NCAAT game but certainly nobody is happy to see how it unfolded with Danny. I know coaches are inherently arrogant as they don't get their success without being that way but the way Danny endeared himself and was always referencing Stew and how he wanted to build that legacy i actually started to believe him. When you hear reports that he was looking for jobs for the past several months as well as in direct contact with Washington while the season was in full force just makes me respect him a lot less. I am thankful for what he did but hope that Washington does not sniff the NCAAT or any sustained success while he is there.

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » March 27th, 2024, 1:21 pm

Ha ha and he is sorry that he let us down ha ha yeah right go screw yourself! Are we allowed to pissed hell yeah we are I don’t care what anyone on here says what he did was unethical sleazy and just wrong ! I wish him nothing but bad karma!
These users thanked the author BigCountryAG for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025TrueAggiemanPIGSKINAGGIE

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 27th, 2024, 2:12 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:

I don't really see the point in being mad about it. He gave USU one of its best seasons in a long time. As a going away gift, his new employer is paying us several million dollars. If this is a "lashing," then I hope future coaches keep lashing us season after season. It sucks to see successful coaches and players leave, but I can't get angry with a guy who gave us an incredible season and now wants to enjoy the fruits of his success.

middleageag
Has thanked: 0

Post by middleageag » March 27th, 2024, 3:04 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:

You can be mad all you want -maybe you could even announce you're no longer a fan like you did with football.
it won't change anything. DS is gone, US is looking for a replacement. Players will leave, new ones will arrive.
You'll still be emotional and irrational

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 27th, 2024, 4:48 pm

Our new Coach will do what Sprinkle did. The guy that replaces our new coach will do the same. $hit rolls down hill, at least we aren't at the very bottom of the hill.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic