Irony of not hiring assistants

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
flying_scotsman2.0

Irony of not hiring assistants

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 27th, 2024, 7:56 am

The irony is that every outgoing coach we have one assistant coach really pushing for the job, only to go with a proven head coach at a lower level. Then we are upset when that coach is not loyal and jumps at the next offer…

I am by no means saying we should hire an assistant, because what we’ve been doing has worked so well. But if our hiring practice is to get the best available coach, then we should expect those coaches to go for the best available job.

LarryTheAggie

Re: Irony of not hiring assistants

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 27th, 2024, 8:07 am

I remember people clamoring yo hired Eric Peterson when Smith left. A year later he became the head coach at South Dakota, and has gone 24-38.

I am really glad we went in a different direction. I guess, he night still be coaching here though and that would make some people happy...
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » March 27th, 2024, 8:11 am

Under the current climate we almost have to hire a head coach because it’s the only way to get fast recruits/transfers. Really you’re not only hiring the coach now. You’re hiring his current team and recruiting class to some extent. If you don’t do that your current t class transfers and you’re left with nothing.
These users thanked the author justinmorrey for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21flying_scotsman2.0Aggie in Boise

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 27th, 2024, 8:14 am

justinmorrey wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 8:11 am
Under the current climate we almost have to hire a head coach because it’s the only way to get fast recruits/transfers. Really you’re not only hiring the coach now. You’re hiring his current team and recruiting class to some extent. If you don’t do that your current t class transfers and you’re left with nothing.
this is the real reason you hire HCs looking to move up with players grateful to get any NIL, to have fans who care, to get exposure on a bigger stage, and have a chance at the dance.

Donman

Post by Donman » March 27th, 2024, 8:33 am

We hire proven head coaches because Stew Morrill, Larry Eustachy, Craig Smith, Ryan Odom, Danny Sprinkle are greater than Tim Duryea and Kohn Smith.
These users thanked the author Donman for the post (total 2):
Aggie in Boisebluegrouse

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » March 27th, 2024, 8:39 am

The last 2 guys we hired had been in the NCAA tourney. That's gotta be the floor for me.
These users thanked the author GordoAggie for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 27th, 2024, 8:47 am

GordoAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 8:39 am
The last 2 guys we hired had been in the NCAA tourney. That's gotta be the floor for me.
So that takes Todd and Tod off the short list. Who do you have in mind?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 27th, 2024, 8:50 am

GordoAggie wrote:
Okay. But this year there were a lot of one bid conferences that sent like there conference 5th seed. Would you rather higher the coach at Montana State that went 17 and 18. Or would you rather hire the guy at that won 25 games and finished 1st or 2nd in the regular season but lost in there conference tournament(toledo or UC irvine)? Or would you rather a guy that has turned 2 perennial worst teams in amaerica into 20 win teams(todd simon)?

Because I am not seeing a guy out there that is all the things, that is realistic this year.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
Gidbob

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 27th, 2024, 9:07 am

You never know what will work out and what won't work out, but we have an extremely good track record for hiring proven head coaches. I'll take winning and the coach leaving every time over a question mark. Having coaches constantly bolt is annoying, but not nearly as annoying as losing. I'll take another one year wonder in an instant if we get the same results we just got from sprinkle.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Pacobag

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 27th, 2024, 9:11 am

Basically, Washington paid us for the privilege of having Sprinkle coach our team, with players he brought here, for 11 months. We also got a MWC championship and NCAA tourney win out of the deal. Sounds like a great trade, one that probably won't be replicated. I choose to be happy about it. Also, the portal and free transfers made it all possible. I hate it, but we don't have this season without the mayhem.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiiflying_scotsman2.0AGinNEIowa

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » March 27th, 2024, 9:31 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 8:50 am
GordoAggie wrote:
Okay. But this year there were a lot of one bid conferences that sent like there conference 5th seed. Would you rather higher the coach at Montana State that went 17 and 18. Or would you rather hire the guy at that won 25 games and finished 1st or 2nd in the regular season but lost in there conference tournament(toledo or UC irvine)? Or would you rather a guy that has turned 2 perennial worst teams in amaerica into 20 win teams(todd simon)?

Because I am not seeing a guy out there that is all the things, that is realistic this year.
Why does it have to be one of those three options? We’re willing to pay a lot more than we have in the past and the “options” people are posting here lately are extremely underwhelming. Not sure any of them will end up being the new coach.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
LarryTheAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 27th, 2024, 9:32 am

We've got some money, a good reputation, and lots of options. Can't wait to hear what Sabau does.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 27th, 2024, 9:36 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 9:31 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
GordoAggie wrote:

Why does it have to be one of those three options? We’re willing to pay a lot more than we have in the past and the “options” people are posting here lately are extremely underwhelming. Not sure any of them will end up being the new coach.
I am not saying it does. I am just saying that there has to be more to the criteria than they went to the NCAA tournament this year. I don't see a lot of low major coaches that went to the NCAA tournament that really excit me. And there are some that did not go that I thing would be good hires.

I am sure Sabau will hire a great coach. And we should all be glad that this board does not get to choose.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 27th, 2024, 10:00 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 9:36 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 9:31 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
GordoAggie wrote:

I am not saying it does. I am just saying that there has to be more to the criteria than they went to the NCAA tournament this year. I don't see a lot of low major coaches that went to the NCAA tournament that really excit me. And there are some that did not go that I thing would be good hires.

I am sure Sabau will hire a great coach. And we should all be glad that this board does not get to choose.
I think last year the general consensus on the board was that we should take sprinkle. I think there was even a poll. Maybe we should just poll it out and see how good our collective minds can be?

ususports

Post by ususports » March 27th, 2024, 10:05 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 10:00 am
I think last year the general consensus on the board was that we should take sprinkle. I think there was even a poll. Maybe we should just poll it out and see how good our collective minds can be?
How are we going to get another poll started without AggieIceCream here?
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

RivertonAG

Post by RivertonAG » March 27th, 2024, 10:13 am

My 2 cents (which is all it is worth) is to continue hiring the young up and comer head coach with his eyes on making it to the top. With the environment like the Spectrum to play in and a passionate fan base, A GOOD coach is going to win here.....and he's going to move on.

If you take a chance on hiring an assistant, you waste time vetting whether they can coach (probably lose more) and it they turn out to be good, you'll lose them after some mediocre seasons and one good one anyway. Why be the one that allows them to learn and grow (thus wasting time)? I'd rather win immediately with less risk of mediocrity.
These users thanked the author RivertonAG for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025stwinward

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 27th, 2024, 10:15 am

ususports wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 10:05 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 10:00 am
How are we going to get another poll started without AggieIceCream here?
Ask the Troll @FloridaAggie13 to start the poll. AIC was Florida's research assistant and was mentored by Florida.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic