At least he had the stones to drop a statement.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
cval

Re: At least he had the stones to drop a statement.

Post by cval » March 26th, 2024, 12:22 pm

He is a good coach, but he used us for his own benefit. Good coach, but not an Aggie.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 26th, 2024, 12:23 pm

So many voted for a win vs. TCU knowing he would leave vs having him stay but losing to TCU. This has not only been expected for awhile most on here were ok with it by the time tipoff happened Friday night. Now the hope is like so many have said as that the next hire is a slam dunk as well.

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » March 26th, 2024, 12:29 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:01 am
travelingagg wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:54 am
We offered him triple what he was paid at Montana State, so he came to Logan. Why are we surprised that he would change schools when a school offers him triple what we're paying him? I'm not mad at a coach saying they want to build up a program. Those are words that are informed by their current situation. Even the most narcissistic coaches wouldn't imagine them being snatched up one year after arriving at a program, so from his perspective, I think he was feeling grateful to have landed a great job in a good conference with supportive fans, that it would be a good place to coach for 3-5 years or longer. The success happened quicker than anyone anticipated, and so he left. If he has the same amount of success at Washington, you better believe he'll say yes to an offer that's double or triple what he's making there.
Agree with this to a point. I have no problem with what he said up until late Feb/early March once the WA rumors were out there. At that point, he should've dodged questions and kept his mouth shut. That's what irks me. He could've said he was focused on this season and not paying attention to rumors at this time. Rather than act like "aw, shucks, USU is great and a coach could be here a long time" when he already knew he was leaving.
Exactly don’t sit and tell us there is no truth to any of it at luncheon. Alll you had to do was say we arnt talking about that stuff I will address it in the off season . You lied Danny flat out lied !! If you want to leave to better yourself fine but don’t lie and act like you care cause you didn’t give a f-uk. People say oh he’s locked in he wants to win that’s crap if he would have locked in imagine what we could have done would have got a better seed had we not crapped the bed against Fresno and the sdsu in semis .

@ggies
Has thanked: 0

Post by @ggies » March 26th, 2024, 12:44 pm

His “coaching” in the MW semis against SDSU let me know he was outta here. He just stood there on the sideline and didn’t give a (I can't express myself without swearing) as a 17 point lead evaporated to 3 at the half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author @ggies for the post (total 2):
FL350Aggietrevordude

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 26th, 2024, 1:06 pm

Unfortunately the showing vs Purdue wasn’t any better. Two pathetic efforts for the kids that elevated him to where he’s going, really a screw job for them. At least give it your all for all they did for him.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post (total 2):
Section_L_AggieFloridaAggie13

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 26th, 2024, 2:26 pm

@ggies wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 12:44 pm
His “coaching” in the MW semis against SDSU let me know he was outta here. He just stood there on the sideline and didn’t give a (I can't express myself without swearing) as a 17 point lead evaporated to 3 at the half.
Good coaches lose to other good coaches and their teams. Did our dominant performance and their lack of good response to the 1-3-1 zone mean that TCU's coach is out the door?

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 26th, 2024, 6:00 pm

Looks like he got his personal charter flight to Seattle:

These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiitrevordude

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 26th, 2024, 6:03 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 6:00 pm

Chartering flights to every game is far from the best use of our limited budget. I hope Sprink being gone ends the (I can't express myself without swearing) about chartering flights.

I loved Dutcher’s comments about chartering flights in that SD news article.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025ImportAggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 26th, 2024, 6:04 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 2:26 pm
@ggies wrote:
Good coaches lose to other good coaches and their teams. Did our dominant performance and their lack of good response to the 1-3-1 zone mean that TCU's coach is out the door?
Haha, rumors came out today Jamie Dixon is actively looking for other jobs.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 26th, 2024, 6:09 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 6:04 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
@ggies wrote:
Haha, rumors came out today Jamie Dixon is actively looking for other jobs.
Medium-sized oof, I guess.

After seeing USU play, maybe he wasn't excited going back to the less physical, slower paced Big 12.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 26th, 2024, 6:24 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 6:03 pm
Chartering flights to every game is far from the best use of our limited budget. I hope Sprink being gone ends the (I can't express myself without swearing) about chartering flights.
This. Chartering to every game wouldn't have made a difference with him staying. Not when we can't compete salary wise, NIL money wise, or the talent that is all right in Seattle's backyard.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 26th, 2024, 6:39 pm

Aggie702 wrote:

Wish him well. He delivered a great season and didn't go to a hated rival.

bpd

Post by bpd » March 26th, 2024, 8:08 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 6:03 pm
Aggie702 wrote:

I loved Dutcher’s comments about chartering flights in that SD news article.
Both Craig Smith and Ryan Odom got charters, but Jerry didn’t want a charter for Danny because he didn’t want people tracking the flight. Oh no, fans might find out about 5 minutes before Jeff Goodman. Nothing will look obvious with Danny flying to SLC while everyone on the plane and in the airport see.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 26th, 2024, 8:45 pm

Chartered flights and flying private are highly overrated in terms of luxury. We usually think of the G650s or Falcon X with catering because that’s what’s on social media.

In reality you can hardly stand in it and if you’re lucky you have a drawer of assorted SunChips and some of those tiny bottles of water.

As for a time saving mechanism, private can’t be beat.

As for chartered flights like the football team, an airliner makes sense given how many people that need to be moved.

AGGIEinIOWA

At least he had the stones to drop a statement.

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 26th, 2024, 8:52 pm

Hope those charter flights to New Jersey and Maryland are fun! I guess it would be a lot more enjoyable than all the Olympic sport athletes that do it commercially.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
trevordude

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 26th, 2024, 10:29 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 8:45 pm
Chartered flights and flying private are highly overrated in terms of luxury. We usually think of the G650s or Falcon X with catering because that’s what’s on social media.
Chartering for games is more about convenience and flexibility. Right now out team has to bus the 80 minutes to SLC, get there 2 hours early and rely on whatever flights are available. It takes an extra toll on your players. Chartering out of Logan means shorter bus rides, leaving when you want, not getting there near as early and also being able to come home after a game instead of staying an extra night.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 26th, 2024, 11:33 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:29 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
Chartering for games is more about convenience and flexibility. Right now out team has to bus the 80 minutes to SLC, get there 2 hours early and rely on whatever flights are available. It takes an extra toll on your players. Chartering out of Logan means shorter bus rides, leaving when you want, not getting there near as early and also being able to come home after a game instead of staying an extra night.
Exactly. The comfort of charter flights isn't much different than that of commercial fights. But the extra time at home during the long grind of a basketball season makes a world of difference.

Is it worth it? I don't know. But it does absolutely make a difference.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 27th, 2024, 7:10 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
I agree that chartering is more convenient. That was largely my point.

If we have the money to charter the basketball team to away games then they should stop pretending we don’t have money and pay to keep coaches longer than 1 good season.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 27th, 2024, 7:51 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
@ggies wrote:
If Dixon, while wearing wrist band colors of the team known nationally to be pursuing him, put the last man on the bench in with eight minutes left in the first half and had him chucking up threes in a game that was still tight then yes, I would have said Dixon had a foot out the door already. :cheers:

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 27th, 2024, 9:27 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 7:10 am
ProvoAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
I agree that chartering is more convenient. That was largely my point.

If we have the money to charter the basketball team to away games then they should stop pretending we don’t have money and pay to keep coaches longer than 1 good season.
They're not pretending that. The contract offered to Danny would have very nearly made him the highest paid coach in the conference AND included several more charter flights. It just wasn't $22 million.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
Imakeitrain

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic