What Sprinkle can't take with him

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AAA
Has thanked: 0

What Sprinkle can't take with him

Post by AAA » March 25th, 2024, 5:55 pm

The extra winning percentage the Spectrum provides a coach. And Darius Brown. who had at least 3 improbable game winning shots that were the difference between a 1 seed and 7 seed in the Mtn. West. Losses at UNLV and Fresno and we have no NCAA tournament. Only the future will know for sure but I think we dodged a bullet. We are getting paid the buy out and can reset. Washington just took a huge risk with $25 mill that was based on the luck of a couple shots. With the Exception of TCU (Best game this team played all year) we really sucked away from the Spectrum. Sprinkle made the right choice to get paid. We will be fine....but U Dub might be in for a rude awakening.
These users thanked the author AAA for the post (total 6):
ViAggieSection_L_AggieFloridaAggie13JSHarveyBlue SageBluestar

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: What Sprinkle can't take with him

Post by ProvoAggie » March 25th, 2024, 6:00 pm

I don't see any reason to diminish what Sprinkle accomplished this year. He had to build an entire team from scratch this year. A 7th place finish in the MW with the situation he came into would have actually been a pretty good accomplishment. There was definitely some luck along the way but he basically built an entire team from scratch and achieved more than anyone could have expected at the start of the season. I don't think he'll be able to replicate what he did at Washington next year but he's a good coach and I believe he'll get them headed in the right direction next year. I'll also be pretty shocked if the next coach we hire is able to repeat what happened this season. I'll be shocked if we're in the NCAA Tournament next year. I hope we are and I'll support the team no matter what but this was a special season.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 10):
sam tingeyBank ShotCodingAggieBluebluegrouseChowderAggieGreenAgJSHarveyAggie formerly in HawaiiReal Life AggieAgezzz

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 25th, 2024, 6:01 pm

"we really sucked away from the Spectrum"

It sucks to lose Sprinkle, and you make some good points, but let's not revise history. We were 8-4 on the road. In the regular season we were 4-0 in neutral court games. Including the MWC/NCAA tourney, we were 6-2 in neutral court games.

It's tough to win away from home and this team did not suck away from the Spectrum. Even if we had ended up losing @ unlv and Fresno, that would give us a 6-6 road record. Something most coaches would sign up for.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggiebluegrouse

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 25th, 2024, 6:06 pm

Darius "let's pull a win out of our butts" counter: UNLV, Fresno, New Mexico, SDSU, Santa Clara, who am I missing?

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » March 25th, 2024, 6:10 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:01 pm
"we really sucked away from the Spectrum"

It sucks to lose Sprinkle, and you make some good points, but let's not revise history. We were 8-4 on the road. In the regular season we were 4-0 in neutral court games. Including the MWC/NCAA tourney, we were 6-2 in neutral court games.

It's tough to win away from home and this team did not suck away from the Spectrum. Even if we had ended up losing @ unlv and Fresno, that would give us a 6-6 road record. Something most coaches would sign up for.
When we sucked we really sucked.... most of them(all but 1) were away from the spectrum

@ New Mexico
@ SDSU
vs Nevada
@ CSU
SDSU in the MWC Tournament
Purdue

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 25th, 2024, 6:23 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:06 pm
Darius "let's pull a win out of our butts" counter: UNLV, Fresno, New Mexico, SDSU, Santa Clara, who am I missing?
Didn't he send Bradley into OT with a 3 ball?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 25th, 2024, 6:25 pm

You are making the case for Sprinkle taking the job and $$$.

You’re right — the balls don’t often bounce as favorably as they did for us this year. Real chance we wouldn’t have been as good record-wise next year with the same team, so he had to strike now.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
JSHarvey

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 25th, 2024, 6:30 pm

Honestly, there is part of me that is happy that Sprinkle left because I was worried that USU was going to overpay him based on one lucky season. If he became mediocre with several years remaining on a $2 million per year contract, that puts our program in a very bad spot.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
GaryTakeTheWheel

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 25th, 2024, 6:37 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:30 pm
Honestly, there is part of me that is happy that Sprinkle left because I was worried that USU was going to overpay him based on one lucky season. If he became mediocre with several years remaining on a $2 million per year contract, that puts our program in a very bad spot.
This is purely my own theory, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the salary extension was as high as it was because they knew that Sprinkle was gone.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post (total 2):
Aggie702cval

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 25th, 2024, 6:40 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:37 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
This is purely my own theory, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the salary extension was as high as it was because they knew that Sprinkle was gone.
See my 2 random questions post. I wondered same. Others said it was legit

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 25th, 2024, 6:49 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:40 pm
Dkdavis wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
See my 2 random questions post. I wondered same. Others said it was legit
Sabau wouldn't offer a contract like that unless she had the money lined up. If the UW thing fell through, he could have ended up signing it.

ColoAg

Post by ColoAg » March 25th, 2024, 6:50 pm

If you factor in the big increase in cost of living in Seattle vs. Logan, the $3.2M next year is not that big of a difference in actual money he can bank. The cost of living in Seattle is about 40% higher than Logan. This includes taxes, housing, groceries, meals out, utilities, etc. So, he will be banking about 400K more in Seattle next year than if he signed the new USU contract of $2M. Don't get me wrong, $400K is a lot of money, and $3.2M is great no matter where you live. But, he is not getting this 2X to 3X increase like some of you are imagining by going from USU to UW when you factor in the higher cost of living in Seattle.

But let's look at what he is giving up. USU has one of the great home court environments in the country with very rabid fan and student support. USU and the MWC are really trending up in basketball. UW on the other hand is a great football school. However, their basketball is a bit of a dumpster fire. They don't get much fan support, and they tend to play in a dead arena. A similar situation to Craig Smith going to Utah. Also, they are going into the Big 10 where they will have horrendously long road trips going east (4-5 hour flights). With the increase in Big 10 competition, I could see them struggling to even get out of the bottom half of the league.

Bottom line: Sprinkle is getting a nice bump in Salary. However, he is giving up quite a lot leaving USU. We'll see in 3 years if he is in the same situation as Smith at Utah (on the hot seat and struggling to get fans).

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 25th, 2024, 6:50 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
Agreed - more than anything it created a record to show that they made every effort to keep him. Maybe even make him look sort of bad and extra greedy for spurning us and our "jaw dropping" increased salary offer.
These users thanked the author Rabidchild for the post:
USUGrad01

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 25th, 2024, 6:52 pm

ColoAg wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:50 pm
If you factor in the big increase in cost of living in Seattle vs. Logan, the $3.2M next year is not that big of a difference in actual money he can bank. The cost of living in Seattle is about 40% higher than Logan. This includes taxes, housing, groceries, meals out, utilities, etc. So, he will be banking about 400K more in Seattle next year than if he signed the new USU contract of $2M. Don't get me wrong, $400K is a lot of money, and $3.2M is great no matter where you live. But, he is not getting this 2X to 3X increase like some of you are imagining by going from USU to UW when you factor in the higher cost of living in Seattle.

But let's look at what he is giving up. USU has one of the great home court environments in the country with very rabid fan and student support. USU and the MWC are really trending up in basketball. UW on the other hand is a great football school. However, their basketball is a bit of a dumpster fire. They don't get much fan support, and they tend to play in a dead arena. A similar situation to Craig Smith going to Utah. Also, they are going into the Big 10 where they will have horrendously long road trips going east (4-5 hour flights). With the increase in Big 10 competition, I could see them struggling to even get out of the bottom half of the league.

Bottom line: Sprinkle is getting a nice bump in Salary. However, he is giving up quite a lot leaving USU. We'll see in 3 years if he is in the same situation as Smith at Utah (on the hot seat and struggling to get fans).
At least he will be on a charter flight for each of those long road trips. :stirpot:

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 25th, 2024, 6:55 pm

I am glad we didn’t sign up to pay $2 million for a coach. That’s not a good bit of business because: (1) it isn’t enough to keep someone from moving up if the call comes; (2) it’s way too much to owe if the coach doesn’t replicate the same performance.

Our coach should probably have a base salary of $950,000 to $1.2 million.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
JSHarvey

ColoAg

Post by ColoAg » March 25th, 2024, 6:56 pm

Yes it's true he will be chartering for all road trips. However, where does he catch the charter. If it's at SeaTac airport, it's still a fairly long drive through traffic from the UW campus. Maybe there is a closer airport thought.
These users thanked the author ColoAg for the post:
USUGrad01

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 25th, 2024, 6:57 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:55 pm
I am glad we didn’t sign up to pay $2 million for a coach. That’s not a good bit of business because: (1) it isn’t enough to keep someone from moving up if the call comes; (2) it’s way too much to owe if the coach doesn’t replicate the same performance.
You do have a pay guy proven enough to get them to not move laterally.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 25th, 2024, 6:57 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 6:57 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
For sure — I think right around a million is enough to keep any coach from moving laterally.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 25th, 2024, 6:59 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
For sure — I think right around a million is enough to keep any coach from moving laterally.
2 million at least makes a guy more selective as to what schools he moves up to.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 25th, 2024, 7:02 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

Of the names mentioned on this board, if Bob Huggins were to consider USU, I would support paying him $2 million. But otherwise no. Given our budget limitations, I wouldn't want to commit that much to a coach unless they were an absolute surefire winner. And while I would have loved to keep Sprinkle, paying him $2 million per year would have made me uneasy. I can point to plenty of examples of coaches who had a fantastic first season but never replicated it.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 25th, 2024, 7:07 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
He also turned Montana State around with phenomenal recruiting. Battle, his best recruit ended up at West Virginia.

You really think Washington, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma State and others were all wrong to go after Sprinkle?

Danny has three amazing seasons that support his abilities in coaching and recruiting.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 25th, 2024, 7:09 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 7:02 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Of the names mentioned on this board, if Bob Huggins were to consider USU, I would support paying him $2 million. But otherwise no. Given our budget limitations, I wouldn't want to commit that much to a coach unless they were an absolute surefire winner. And while I would have loved to keep Sprinkle, paying him $2 million per year would have made me uneasy. I can point to plenty of examples of coaches who had a fantastic first season but never replicated it.
Very fun year, but I've had that nagging "lightning in a bottle" feeling all along. I never bought the just think what next year would be like if everyone came back because you never know. Just the absence of Darius is enough cause for pumping the brakes. In no way belittling what Sprinkle accomplished, just I'm on old fart that have seen too many wheels fall off wagons.

Nash

Post by Nash » March 25th, 2024, 7:15 pm

ColoAg wrote:

WA has no state income tax and that is a significant factor for those of us who pay substantial income taxes.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 25th, 2024, 7:20 pm

ColoAg wrote:
Sorry to those who have heard my thoughts on this before.

I’m too lazy to type something completely new so I’ll copy and paste some earlier thoughts I had on this topic.

“I don’t think cost of living (unless state/local/sales taxes are multiples higher) is a significant factor for choosing Logan with a $2M salary vs Seattle with a $4M salary. A single dude’s food/gas/entertainment/medical expense could even double from $50k to $100k per year. He can still drive the same car and still buy the same items online. His home will still likely appreciate in either location. Now if we’re talking a family of 5 that needs a house to live in then making ends meet on $100k in Logan or $200k in Seattle would be a significant factor to consider.”

“Danny investing $1million/year in an S&P 500 fund, taking out a mortgage on a $5 million ranch in Montana, taking his parents on multiple lavish vacations around the world, investing in or donating to other endeavors, will not cost more while he’s living in Seattle.”
Last edited by Pacobag on March 25th, 2024, 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 25th, 2024, 7:21 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 7:07 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
He also turned Montana State around with phenomenal recruiting. Battle, his best recruit ended up at West Virginia.

You really think Washington, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma State and others were all wrong to go after Sprinkle?

Danny has three amazing seasons that support his abilities in coaching and recruiting.
To be clear, I think Sprinkle is a very good coach. But I would still be nervous signing him to a long-term contract for $2 million per year at a school with USU's budget.
These users thanked the author StanfordAggie for the post:
ChowderAggie

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 25th, 2024, 10:45 pm

Nash wrote:
ColoAg wrote:

WA has no state income tax and that is a significant factor for those of us who pay substantial income taxes.
Cost of living in Wa was very similar for me as in Logan Utah.

Now look at Sprinkle .. he is a single dude and no wife kids to fund.

We are just looking at Salary

Fed tax rate the same.

Wa state income tax rate $0.

Utah state income tax rate $97,000.

Man I can think of a lot of things to do with $97 k I don’t pay to a state tax agency.

This by far trumps cost of living WA v anywhere else in USA that has state income tax.

Really though food, gas entertainment utilities, in Seattle per year never exceeded $5-8k, if you have a more expensive car sure insurance pushes up to 10-15k. Still I think you are wrong. Also, think of the UW network if people he will meet that want to do business with him. More big fish pockets due to that market. Opportunities are more abundant there to make more revenue.

Housing we can’t say .. maybe Sprinkle just rents maybe he owns for real estate tax breaks either way his UW salary off sets a great house there v Logan.

All we are really talking about is cost to live one v other. If you want we can assume his house if owned is paid for by his salary.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 26th, 2024, 12:35 am

You can live on the water, that far surpasses anything in Utah. Every Utah person that has come to visit me has started looking at real estate in Washington and one of them bought the house next door. Too many Fox news viewers picturing all of Seattle like Chaz or whatever you call it. Seattle has all the perks of a big city but you can be in wilderness in minutes. It's especially a great city when you have 20 million dollars guaranteed.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieGaAggieFloridaAggie13

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 26th, 2024, 2:03 pm

TrueAG wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 12:35 am
You can live on the water, that far surpasses anything in Utah. Every Utah person that has come to visit me has started looking at real estate in Washington and one of them bought the house next door. Too many Fox news viewers picturing all of Seattle like Chaz or whatever you call it. Seattle has all the perks of a big city but you can be in wilderness in minutes. It's especially a great city when you have 20 million dollars guaranteed.
I love the greater Seattle area. People on here want to get all sandboxy about things, but idk what they're on about. I generally prefer the climate and outdoors of the PNW over Utah.

Nevertheless, I disagree with your assertion that living on water "far surpasses anything in Utah." As someone who loves Seattle, let's be direct—they don't have the mountains that Utah does. Or the red rock. Or an even easier path to the wilderness. Or as many incredible national parks. Sure, Rainier is there, and the Cascades aren't far out, but it's not the same. Washington west of the cascades is generally great. I like the Sound (and I love the view in Edmonds, with the Sound and the view of the mountains on the peninsula), but living on the water has its place. Better than not on the water? Typically. But "far" better than "anything in Utah"? GTFOH.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » March 26th, 2024, 4:58 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
Happened with our Football coach. Looking at our third losing season in a row. Hope I'm wrong. I know, we went to two bowls.....like that made the heavens open up!!

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 26th, 2024, 5:35 pm

Agezzz wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:58 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Happened with our Football coach. Looking at our third losing season in a row. Hope I'm wrong. I know, we went to two bowls.....like that made the heavens open up!!
I was thinking more like Matt Doherty at UNC or even Larry Eustachy at Iowa State. Both of them won national coach of the year awards in their first season or two at these schools but flamed out spectacularly afterward. I don't anticipate that the same thing would have happened with Sprinkle, but it would put USU in a really bad spot financially if it did.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 26th, 2024, 6:45 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 2:03 pm
TrueAG wrote:
I love the greater Seattle area. People on here want to get all sandboxy about things, but idk what they're on about. I generally prefer the climate and outdoors of the PNW over Utah.

Nevertheless, I disagree with your assertion that living on water "far surpasses anything in Utah." As someone who loves Seattle, let's be direct—they don't have the mountains that Utah does. Or the red rock. Or an even easier path to the wilderness. Or as many incredible national parks. Sure, Rainier is there, and the Cascades aren't far out, but it's not the same. Washington west of the cascades is generally great. I like the Sound (and I love the view in Edmonds, with the Sound and the view of the mountains on the peninsula), but living on the water has its place. Better than not on the water? Typically. But "far" better than "anything in Utah"? GTFOH.
I have Orcas and seals in my backyard and an amazing view of the Olympics that far exceeds Utah Mountains. To each their own but for me nothing beats waterfront with a Mountain View.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
FloridaAggie13

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » March 26th, 2024, 6:58 pm

TrueAG wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 6:45 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:

I have Orcas and seals in my backyard and an amazing view of the Olympics that far exceeds Utah Mountains. To each their own but for me nothing beats waterfront with a Mountain View.
The spectrum is my favorite place on earth…
But I get Cabin fever so bad in Utah!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 26th, 2024, 7:35 pm

Agezzz wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:58 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Things are actually looking up for football. We got a new defensive coordinator, were able to retain most of our best players, and brought in some new guys.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 26th, 2024, 7:44 pm

AAA wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 5:55 pm
The extra winning percentage the Spectrum provides a coach. And Darius Brown. who had at least 3 improbable game winning shots that were the difference between a 1 seed and 7 seed in the Mtn. West. Losses at UNLV and Fresno and we have no NCAA tournament. Only the future will know for sure but I think we dodged a bullet. We are getting paid the buy out and can reset. Washington just took a huge risk with $25 mill that was based on the luck of a couple shots. With the Exception of TCU (Best game this team played all year) we really sucked away from the Spectrum. Sprinkle made the right choice to get paid. We will be fine....but U Dub might be in for a rude awakening.
The first and undoubtedly the most important thing DS (or is it BS) cannot take with him is THE HURD.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
StanfordAggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 27th, 2024, 1:06 am

TrueAG wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 6:45 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
TrueAG wrote:

It's pretty; I like it. I mean, it's not the San Juans, but it's pretty enough in its own way. The Olympics are a nice background way off in the distance. But if someone actually wants mountains, it's underwhelming. I don't take many pictures, but in a picture that only incidentally involves mountains in CV, it's absolutely beautiful. Not only that, but I can be in them, hiking on a trail, in under 10 minutes. If I wasn't picky, under 5 minutes. Again, I've lived in the Seattle area and would happily return if the situation were righ. But I found the mountain situation lacking—clearly you're okay with them. Some of us just expect better. :noidea:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic