Kowalczyk - Toledo

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
StanfordAggie

Re: Kowalczyk - Toledo

Post by StanfordAggie » March 26th, 2024, 5:42 pm

2004AG wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 5:36 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 5:00 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:02 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 3:58 pm
apo wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 2:31 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 2:28 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 1:39 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 12:55 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 12:24 pm
cval wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 11:57 am
TrueAggieman wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 11:45 am
aggiefan20003 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 12:44 pm
Kowalczyk from what i’ve heard is a done deal unless something changes. Was done before Sprinkle left. Expect most of current roster to enter portal including Mason Falslev. (No he’s not going to an in state rival)
Did you just throw this out here to see the response, or is there merit behind this claim?
This…. Who are you hearing this from? Is it the same source that brought up Tunka Tolleson last year?Image
We have to do better than this. This would be d as really bad look for our New AD first hire.

If true, this is the problem with an AD with no ties here.
Yeah, it would be an epic disaster if USU hired a guy who took over a four-win team and now has won his regular-season conference title six of the past seven years. I am confused by the hate for Kowalczyk. From my point of view, both he and Simon look like fantastic hires, so if they represent our "worst case scenario," our program should be in fantastic shape.
Initially, I was hesitant about hiring Tod, but as I've learned more about him, I've become open to the idea. However, my preference still leans towards Todd, in small part because he is familiar with Utah and Cache Valley and would be comfortable living there. Tod is a Midwest/East Coast guy and he and/or his family might not like CV. However, with Tod I like the idea of the Midwest/East Coast recruiting connections especially if he can pick up an assistant like Dixon, Hill, or Haslam, if that's even a possibility. To me there is a little more risk involved with hiring Tod over Todd.
Why does this board have this weird inferiority complex about Logan? People talk like we're trying to convince a coach to move to Camden or something. I'm sorry, but to me, the question of whether a coach is comfortable living in Cache Valley is about #1823 on the list of things to worry about when we hire a coach. Prospective coaches are adults. If they don't want to live in Logan, they will politely decline interest in the job. And almost every ambitious coach will leave Logan (or any other MWC school) if they have an opportunity for more money/a better chance of tournament bids/national titles. Logan has absolutely nothing to do with it. I mean, to be fair, maybe Odom left slightly sooner than he would have if he had liked Logan better, but if he kept winning in Logan, he was gone no matter what. So hire the best coach available period. I don't care at all if they will feel "comfortable" in Logan. If they feel that uncomfortable, they won't take the job in the first place.
Conversely it’s Top 5 in their reasons to leave
Based on what? A message board rumor that Odom's wife didn't like the restaurants in Logan? It seems like a giant leap to assume that coaches are trying to get out of Logan based on an unconfirmed message board post. Especially since even if the message board post is accurate, it reflects the opinion of one person (or one couple) and not all of our recent coaches. Logan is what it is. If it is important to you to live in a place with an active pub scene or where you can order Ethiopian Vietnamese fusion food at 2am or a place with racial/religious/cultural diversity, then you probably won't like Logan very much. But if you like skiing, fishing, rock climbing, or hiking and hate big city traffic, then you will feel like you are in paradise. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the city that is causing coaches to leave. Sure, it's not for everyone, but that is true for every place on the planet. I have known people who took big pay cuts to leave New York City and move back to small towns like Logan.
Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 3:17 pm
2004AG wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 3:11 pm
Donman wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:GA 2.0
Ard
Odom (strange Hire)
Blake - Seemed to be a home run hire but time is showing us something different.

My main point is JH hires didn't have regional ties, or have any connections or know how to effectively recruit here. Especially locally or within the State.

This is one of the reasons I think DS was such a good hire.
Odom was a good hire. Not our fault he didn't do due diligence.

And comparing Blake to GA 2.0 is ignorant.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
That still reflects on the AD. He should have made sure Odom was ok with cache valley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I recall correctly Odom and his wife did not visit prior to accepting the job. Maybe I'm wrong?

So do people actually believe that the Odoms thought that they were going to spend the rest of their lives in Cache Valley but then suddenly decided it was horrible when they got here? I think it is far more likely that they knew from day 1 that they didn't want to live in Logan long term and made the move because it was a much better job than the one he had. Odom is not the first person who moved somewhere that they didn't want to live for professional reasons, and he won't be the last. Who cares? I would much, much rather have a coach who is desperately trying to win as many games as possible so that he can get out of town than a coach who would be content to be mediocre in Cache Valley for the rest of his career. Hire a coach who will JFW. I could care less if a coach loves Logan or hates Logan as long as he will JFW for as long as he is in Logan.
Straw man.

Nobody is saying they should want to live in Logan for the rest of their lives.

But we do expect any coach to at least like Cache Valley and not hate it so bad that they were looking for the first train out of town for a lateral move. Sprinkles at least left for a lot more money and a step up in conferences.
So would you rather have a coach who hates Logan and is going to work day and night to win as many games as possible so that they can catch the first train out of town? Or would you rather have a coach that loves Logan and will do the bare minimum to keep his job even if that is a bunch of .500 seasons? I'd rather have the first one, personally. I don't care at all if a coach wants to be in Logan. I just want a coach who will JFW for as long as they are in Logan. If they hate Logan, if anything, that will motivate them to work harder so that they can find a different job without taking a big pay cut.

Another straw man.

Why do those two things have to be mutually exclusive ?

I want a GOOD coach who wins who also WANTS to be here and likes living in cache valley.

We can find both.

No, realistically we are not going to find a coach who is motivated to win at the highest level and wants to stay in Cache Valley long term. Almost every coach who is willing to work hard enough to win at the MWC level will want the extra challenge (and extra money) of winning at the P5 level if the opportunity presents itself. The likelihood of finding a coach who will consistently compete for MWC titles and NCAA bids and also wants to stay in Logan long-term is almost zero. So I don't care at all if a coach wants to be here long term. Indeed, I almost prefer a coach that doesn't want to be here, because they will be more motivated to work hard and win. JFW is all I care about.

Still not the argument I’m making.

Of course we aren’t going to keep anybody who gets offered 4 million from Wisconsin or Washington or whoever else.

But we do need to find coaches who don’t want to make a lateral move to VCU.

If it comes down to the Toledo guy and Simon and we determine they are both equally likely to succeed, we should take the guy who likes cache valley.

Yes, JFW, nobody is saying otherwise. But let’s JFW and increase our odds of the good coach staying by having him love cache valley.

Matt Wells had offers and didn’t take them until tech came along.

I don’t think what I’m saying is controversial.

Who cares if a coach makes a lateral move to VCU as long as they JFW while they are here? Find a coach will JFW. Period. Nothing else matters. In the real world, you will never have two coaches who are equally likely to succeed. Hire the coach who will JFW. End of story. Whether or not they want to live in Cache Valley should not even be part of the consideration. I swear some of our fans want to take the homely girl to prom because they are afraid the hot girl might break up with them later.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 26th, 2024, 5:44 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 4:02 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 3:58 pm
apo wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 2:31 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 2:28 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 1:39 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 12:55 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 12:24 pm
cval wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 11:57 am
TrueAggieman wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 11:45 am
aggiefan20003 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 12:44 pm
Kowalczyk from what i’ve heard is a done deal unless something changes. Was done before Sprinkle left. Expect most of current roster to enter portal including Mason Falslev. (No he’s not going to an in state rival)
Did you just throw this out here to see the response, or is there merit behind this claim?
This…. Who are you hearing this from? Is it the same source that brought up Tunka Tolleson last year?Image
We have to do better than this. This would be d as really bad look for our New AD first hire.

If true, this is the problem with an AD with no ties here.
Yeah, it would be an epic disaster if USU hired a guy who took over a four-win team and now has won his regular-season conference title six of the past seven years. I am confused by the hate for Kowalczyk. From my point of view, both he and Simon look like fantastic hires, so if they represent our "worst case scenario," our program should be in fantastic shape.
Initially, I was hesitant about hiring Tod, but as I've learned more about him, I've become open to the idea. However, my preference still leans towards Todd, in small part because he is familiar with Utah and Cache Valley and would be comfortable living there. Tod is a Midwest/East Coast guy and he and/or his family might not like CV. However, with Tod I like the idea of the Midwest/East Coast recruiting connections especially if he can pick up an assistant like Dixon, Hill, or Haslam, if that's even a possibility. To me there is a little more risk involved with hiring Tod over Todd.
Why does this board have this weird inferiority complex about Logan? People talk like we're trying to convince a coach to move to Camden or something. I'm sorry, but to me, the question of whether a coach is comfortable living in Cache Valley is about #1823 on the list of things to worry about when we hire a coach. Prospective coaches are adults. If they don't want to live in Logan, they will politely decline interest in the job. And almost every ambitious coach will leave Logan (or any other MWC school) if they have an opportunity for more money/a better chance of tournament bids/national titles. Logan has absolutely nothing to do with it. I mean, to be fair, maybe Odom left slightly sooner than he would have if he had liked Logan better, but if he kept winning in Logan, he was gone no matter what. So hire the best coach available period. I don't care at all if they will feel "comfortable" in Logan. If they feel that uncomfortable, they won't take the job in the first place.
Conversely it’s Top 5 in their reasons to leave
Based on what? A message board rumor that Odom's wife didn't like the restaurants in Logan? It seems like a giant leap to assume that coaches are trying to get out of Logan based on an unconfirmed message board post. Especially since even if the message board post is accurate, it reflects the opinion of one person (or one couple) and not all of our recent coaches. Logan is what it is. If it is important to you to live in a place with an active pub scene or where you can order Ethiopian Vietnamese fusion food at 2am or a place with racial/religious/cultural diversity, then you probably won't like Logan very much. But if you like skiing, fishing, rock climbing, or hiking and hate big city traffic, then you will feel like you are in paradise. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the city that is causing coaches to leave. Sure, it's not for everyone, but that is true for every place on the planet. I have known people who took big pay cuts to leave New York City and move back to small towns like Logan.
Aggie in Boise wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 3:17 pm
2004AG wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 3:11 pm
Donman wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:GA 2.0
Ard
Odom (strange Hire)
Blake - Seemed to be a home run hire but time is showing us something different.

My main point is JH hires didn't have regional ties, or have any connections or know how to effectively recruit here. Especially locally or within the State.

This is one of the reasons I think DS was such a good hire.
Odom was a good hire. Not our fault he didn't do due diligence.

And comparing Blake to GA 2.0 is ignorant.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
That still reflects on the AD. He should have made sure Odom was ok with cache valley.

If I recall correctly Odom and his wife did not visit prior to accepting the job. Maybe I'm wrong?

So do people actually believe that the Odoms thought that they were going to spend the rest of their lives in Cache Valley but then suddenly decided it was horrible when they got here? I think it is far more likely that they knew from day 1 that they didn't want to live in Logan long term and made the move because it was a much better job than the one he had. Odom is not the first person who moved somewhere that they didn't want to live for professional reasons, and he won't be the last. Who cares? I would much, much rather have a coach who is desperately trying to win as many games as possible so that he can get out of town than a coach who would be content to be mediocre in Cache Valley for the rest of his career. Hire a coach who will JFW. I could care less if a coach loves Logan or hates Logan as long as he will JFW for as long as he is in Logan.
Straw man.

Nobody is saying they should want to live in Logan for the rest of their lives.

But we do expect any coach to at least like Cache Valley and not hate it so bad that they were looking for the first train out of town for a lateral move. Sprinkles at least left for a lot more money and a step up in conferences.
So would you rather have a coach who hates Logan and is going to work day and night to win as many games as possible so that they can catch the first train out of town? Or would you rather have a coach that loves Logan and will do the bare minimum to keep his job even if that is a bunch of .500 seasons? I'd rather have the first one, personally. I don't care at all if a coach wants to be in Logan. I just want a coach who will JFW for as long as they are in Logan. If they hate Logan, if anything, that will motivate them to work harder so that they can find a different job without taking a big pay cut.

Another straw man.

I want a GOOD coach who wins who also WANTS to be here and likes living in cache valley.

We can find both.

No, realistically we are not going to find a coach who is motivated to win at the highest level and wants to stay in Cache Valley long term. Almost every coach who is willing to work hard enough to win at the MWC level will want the extra challenge (and extra money) of winning at the P5 level if the opportunity presents itself. The likelihood of finding a coach who will consistently compete for MWC titles and NCAA bids and also wants to stay in Logan long-term is almost zero. So I don't care at all if a coach wants to be here long term. Indeed, I almost prefer a coach that doesn't want to be here, because they will be more motivated to work hard and win. JFW is all I care about.

Of course we aren’t going to keep anybody who gets offered 4 million from Wisconsin or Washington or whoever else.

If it comes down to the Toledo guy and Simon and we determine they are both equally likely to succeed, we should take the guy who likes cache valley.

Yes, JFW, nobody is saying otherwise. But let’s JFW and increase our odds of the good coach staying by having him love cache valley.

Who cares if a coach makes a lateral move to VCU as long as they JFW while they are here? Find a coach will JFW. Period. Nothing else matters. In the real world, you will never have two coaches who are equally likely to succeed. Hire the coach who will JFW. End of story. Whether or not they want to live in Cache Valley should not even be part of the consideration. I swear some of our fans want to take the homely girl to prom because they are afraid the hot girl might break up with them later.

So if two coaches are equal, you wouldn’t take the guy that loves cache valley ?

Why?

apo

Post by apo » March 26th, 2024, 5:50 pm

2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Another straw man.

We can find both.

This is my point exactly. No notes.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 26th, 2024, 6:24 pm

2004AG wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 5:44 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

So if two coaches are equal, you wouldn’t take the guy that loves cache valley ?

Why?

That's a silly hypothetical. Two coaches are never equal. Always hire the best coach, period. Whether or not the coach likes Cache Valley should not be part of the decision making process at all.

coolag

Post by coolag » March 26th, 2024, 7:22 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 6:24 pm
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Why?

That's a silly hypothetical. Two coaches are never equal. Always hire the best coach, period. Whether or not the coach likes Cache Valley should not be part of the decision making process at all.
So just to clarify, we should JFW ?

Regulator of Class

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 26th, 2024, 7:42 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Why?

Equal on paper at least.

It’s impossible to know which is best. If you have some secret formula to know who is gonna be better contact Diana and tell her.

How on earth do you or anybody else know if Toledo or Simon would be better ?

Sure if Hurley from UConn wants the job , he can have it whether he likes cache valley or not. But almost everybody else ? We have no idea.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
apo

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 26th, 2024, 7:49 pm

Honestly, I don't get the angst about this guy. I haven't seen a single name suggested we could actually hire that would be considered better than him.

Also, this is just one data point but let's look at his team's actual Ken Pom ranking verses Danny Sprinkle when Sprinkle was at Montana st:

Kowalczyk:
2023: 87
2022: 95
2021: 74
2020: 152

Sprinkle:
2023: 113
2022: 132
2021: 207
2020: 222

This guy consistently has top 100 teams at Toledo. Imagine what he could do at USU.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
StanfordAggie

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 26th, 2024, 8:00 pm

I have one red flag, why couldn’t he win in March at Toledo?

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 26th, 2024, 8:06 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 8:00 pm
Probably because it is hard to win multiple games in a row on a neutral court against the top teams in one's conference. How many times did Stew lose in the BWCT? It seems silly to ignore 20+ wins per season and focus only on one loss in the MAC tournament.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 26th, 2024, 8:08 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
Well for one, Toledo hasn’t been to the NCAA tournament since 1980.

But I don’t know, it’s hard to win a 1 bid league that is still competitive. That’s part of what made Stew so incredible.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 26th, 2024, 8:08 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
He couldn’t win it at least once in 14 years??

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 26th, 2024, 8:09 pm

This guy would be a solid hire, not a “safe” hire.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 26th, 2024, 8:11 pm

Seriously he won the regular season 4 times but then lost all 4 times in the conf tournament? And 0-10 the other years.

What was his record in the conf tournament?

No thanks, I’ll pass
Last edited by Elkaggie on March 26th, 2024, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
OCDAggie

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 26th, 2024, 8:12 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 8:08 pm
FL350Aggie wrote:
You'd think USU could win once in the tournament in 20 years, too. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 26th, 2024, 8:13 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 8:12 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
FL350Aggie wrote:
You'd think USU could win once in the tournament in 20 years, too. Sometimes you just get unlucky.
Sorry I’m talking about the conference tournament.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 26th, 2024, 8:19 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 8:11 pm
Seriously he won the regular season 4 times but 0-4 in the tournament? And 0-10 the other years.

What was his record in the conf tournament?

No thanks, I’ll pass
That's silly and shortsighted. Why are conference tournament games the only games that matter? The fact that he took over a 4-win team and turned it into a consistent 20+ win team that competes for a conference title every year means nothing? I could name several coaches who got lucky once in March, used it to snag a high paying job, and then immediately fell on their faces and never replicated their original success. I'll always take a guy who turned a dumpster fire into a consistent winner over a flash in the pan who had one good March.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 26th, 2024, 8:20 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 8:13 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
FL350Aggie wrote:
You're missing the point entirely. By your logic, USU is a horrible basketball school that no coach should want to touch with a 10 foot pole because we have a history of losing in March. Games during the rest of the season matter, too.

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » March 26th, 2024, 8:59 pm

I hate to admit it, but this might be a good hire and somebody who would stay. Granted, it’s hard to argue that the formula has worked.

So I don’t know I’ll say #TrustDiana

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 26th, 2024, 9:09 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 8:20 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 8:13 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
FL350Aggie wrote:
You're missing the point entirely. By your logic, USU is a horrible basketball school that no coach should want to touch with a 10 foot pole because we have a history of losing in March. Games during the rest of the season matter, too.
We at least won the conference tournament and went to the ncaa tourney a few times even when we were in a one bid conference.

That’s all I’m saying.

I would feel better if at least once or twice he’d taken his team to the NCAA tournament.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 26th, 2024, 10:05 pm

Would live to see us hire this guy. Long record if success at a program he built from absolute garbage to winning 5 out of the last 6 regular season conference championships. With the advantages we have here, he will only get better.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025StanfordAggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic