Washington and Purdue in Big 10 next year

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FireAg

Washington and Purdue in Big 10 next year

Post by FireAg » March 25th, 2024, 9:51 am

If Sprinkle goes and wants to be competitive with the top of the Big 10, he’ll probably need different players than we could offer if they transfer from here.
Sure, some might be role players or grab a few minutes in garbage time, but to play significant roles or to dominate like Great did this year, they’d be better off to stay right here. At USU, Great would have the latitude to develop an outside shot which would position him better for the NBA. Martinez would be in a great position to be a go-to guy here rather than a role player again. Aduje could develop the consistency he needs. Johnson shows glimpses of bing really good and flashes of being dominant. He seems to be in a better place at USU than he could be anywhere else. Faslev will become a legend here when he gets the consistency to knock down open 3’s. Someday we could potentially talk about him the way we do Kendall Youngblood or Tony Brown.
After considering our impact players, there best basketball option is to stay right here. Add a point guard to replace Brown and we will not only be really good, but each of the key component players will be in a better spot for development if they have pro aspirations.
Now the recruits. I watched a lot of the 5A playoffs this year and had the thought that Jordy Barnes could actually be a starting point guard for us as a freshman. He has the ball skills, the smarts and the pass-first mentality. The only question is his strength. But if he gets enough of that he might be a plug and play guy for Brown with the rest of the team next year.
After rationally considering it, the best options for most of the guys this year is to stay put even in Sprinkle leaves. They will have a lot better shot at a pro career.

BasketballAgg

Re: Washington and Purdue in Big 10 next year

Post by BasketballAgg » March 25th, 2024, 9:55 am

FireAg wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 9:51 am
If Sprinkle goes and wants to be competitive with the top of the Big 10, he’ll probably need different players than we could offer if they transfer from here.
Sure, some might be role players or grab a few minutes in garbage time, but to play significant roles or to dominate like Great did this year, they’d be better off to stay right here. At USU, Great would have the latitude to develop an outside shot which would position him better for the NBA. Martinez would be in a great position to be a go-to guy here rather than a role player again. Aduje could develop the consistency he needs. Johnson shows glimpses of bing really good and flashes of being dominant. He seems to be in a better place at USU than he could be anywhere else. Faslev will become a legend here when he gets the consistency to knock down open 3’s. Someday we could potentially talk about him the way we do Kendall Youngblood or Tony Brown.
After considering our impact players, there best basketball option is to stay right here. Add a point guard to replace Brown and we will not only be really good, but each of the key component players will be in a better spot for development if they have pro aspirations.
Now the recruits. I watched a lot of the 5A playoffs this year and had the thought that Jordy Barnes could actually be a starting point guard for us as a freshman. He has the ball skills, the smarts and the pass-first mentality. The only question is his strength. But if he gets enough of that he might be a plug and play guy for Brown with the rest of the team next year.
After rationally considering it, the best options for most of the guys this year is to stay put even in Sprinkle leaves. They will have a lot better shot at a pro career.
Players don’t care about minutes anymore and they definitely don’t care about legacy. It’s likely not a single players at USU currently will be in the NBA (excluding great, if he takes another giant leap his senior year) all the current player cares about now is how much NIL money can I make before I have to sit at a desk for the rest of my life (See Steven Ashworth).

College basketball is now a mercenary for hire league.
These users thanked the author BasketballAgg for the post:
SaintAggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 25th, 2024, 10:02 am

Great could start at Washington. Honestly he'd be dumb not to go especially if he can make money. Still not sure that he can get paid.

The bigger question is the rest of our roster.

BigCountryAG

Post by BigCountryAG » March 25th, 2024, 10:13 am

Did you the interview of great and brown talk about hearing Danny was leaving Montana state and how they were pissed about it and Brown saying it was definitely a process and it wasn’t easy because he had one year left. Who knows maybe Great loves it here and if we hire the right coach maybe he stays I mean I guess we find out in the next couple weeks to month. but I think we have a chance of keeping a few guys on current roster not all but a few.

TrueBlue
Pick'em Champ - '13,'14,'15,'16 BB Predict The Score

Post by TrueBlue » March 25th, 2024, 10:27 am

BigCountryAG wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:13 am
Did you the interview of great and brown talk about hearing Danny was leaving Montana state and how they were pissed about it and Brown saying it was definitely a process and it wasn’t easy because he had one year left. Who knows maybe Great loves it here and if we hire the right coach maybe he stays I mean I guess we find out in the next couple weeks to month. but I think we have a chance of keeping a few guys on current roster not all but a few.
Great once said in an interview with Scotty he nevers wants to do the transfer portal again. Then again, this is before his coach he followed took a new job less than a year after coming to USU.

Personally, I think he goes.

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » March 25th, 2024, 10:31 am

TrueBlue wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:27 am
BigCountryAG wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:13 am
Great once said in an interview with Scotty he nevers wants to do the transfer portal again. Then again, this is before his coach he followed took a new job less than a year after coming to USU.

Personally, I think he goes.
And sprinkle said he wants to be here as long as well have him and be the next stew morrill. Those words don’t mean anything.
These users thanked the author aggieborn for the post:
SaintAggie

FireAg

Post by FireAg » March 25th, 2024, 10:43 am

If it’s truly about basketball, then the players, especially Great, are better off to stay and further develop and progress. They wouldn’t have the same opportunity as a low grade Big 10 player or team as a top shelf MW team. I get the money thing. It would be hard to turn down a few hundred K elsewhere even if it meant diminished roles and opportunities. But if it’s about basketball, this is a really situation right here at USU.
These users thanked the author FireAg for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 25th, 2024, 2:31 pm

FireAg wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:43 am
If it’s truly about basketball, then the players, especially Great, are better off to stay and further develop and progress. They wouldn’t have the same opportunity as a low grade Big 10 player or team as a top shelf MW team. I get the money thing. It would be hard to turn down a few hundred K elsewhere even if it meant diminished roles and opportunities. But if it’s about basketball, this is a really situation right here at USU.
So what you're saying is that Great should have stayed at Montana State instead up jumping ship with his coach to USU? I mean, I have a hard time imagining a backup in the Big Sky (ha!) would have the opportunity to be the top dog on his team in the much better Mountain West. And no chance of being the player of the year in the MWC.

/sarcasm

If this year has taught us anything, it's that this team and these players can compete in the over-hyped power conferences.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic