My story...

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ronburgandee
Has thanked: 0

My story...

Post by ronburgandee » March 23rd, 2024, 8:49 am

I have never actually seen the aggies win in the tournament. In February (and March) of 2001, I left for the Brazilian MTC. It was there that I received a letter from my mom with the sports section of the newspaper stuffed in. The Front page of the sports section talked about a USU win in the tournament. I returned home from my mission and ultimately finished my degree at USU.

Since that day in MTC the aggies have made the tournament multiple times. Each time they have failed to advance. It was frustrating, and had become a common occurrence.

Last Sunday, they announced the brackets. I was excited obviously to see USU was in, but then I looked at my schedule. It dawned on me that I had scheduled to clean the temple at the same time as they would be playing. I was conflicted. I considered how easy it would be to reschedule, or just not show up... but I, of course, stayed true to my prior commitment.

I watched the first 8 minutes before leaving. I turned off my phone and let my wife know I would be completely cut off from the world until I returned at 1 am.

Returning home (my cell phone still off), I noticed the remote to the TV strategically placed on the coffee table (not on the entertainment center like usual). Almost as if my wife was saying, "Watch me." This normally wouldn't be a big deal, but with my youngest recently walking, he loves to pick things up and hide them. Having lost the same remote for a week just recently, I knew that we had learned our lesson about leaving it accessible to him.

So, with superstition and a bit of hope at 1 a.m., I determined to continue with the game... trying to stay quite and not wake the household, I joyfully watched the best basketball game I have ever seen.

My wife, this morning, pointed out their 2 tournament wins have come when I was serving the Lord.

This post, although completely true, is just for fun. I know God doesn't care about sports. It is ironic, and funny. However, I will end with this... we plays tomorrow against # 1 Purdue, but as far as me and my family, we will be at church.
These users thanked the author ronburgandee for the post (total 44):
cvalmcaggie1trevordudeBluestarSeAggieDkdavisEngineeringAggieUSUaggieaggies22Foolonthehill and 34 more users

mcaggie1

Re: My story...

Post by mcaggie1 » March 23rd, 2024, 8:54 am

ronburgandee wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 8:49 am
I have never actually seen the aggies win in the tournament. In February (and March) of 2001, I left for the Brazilian MTC. It was there that I received a letter from my mom with the sports section of the newspaper stuffed in. The Front page of the sports section talked about a USU win in the tournament. I returned home from my mission and ultimately finished my degree at USU.

Since that day in MTC the aggies have made the tournament multiple times. Each time they have failed to advance. It was frustrating, and had become a common occurrence.

Last Sunday, they announced the brackets. I was excited obviously to see USU was in, but then I looked at my schedule. It dawned on me that I had scheduled to clean the temple at the same time as they would be playing. I was conflicted. I considered how easy it would be to reschedule, or just not show up... but I, of course, stayed true to my prior commitment.

I watched the first 8 minutes before leaving. I turned off my phone and let my wife know I would be completely cut off from the world until I returned at 1 am.

Returning home (my cell phone still off), I noticed the remote to the TV strategically placed on the coffee table (not on the entertainment center like usual). Almost as if my wife was saying, "Watch me." This normally wouldn't be a big deal, but with my youngest recently walking, he loves to pick things up and hide them. Having lost the same remote for a week just recently, I knew that we had learned our lesson about leaving it accessible to him.

So, with superstition and a bit of hope at 1 a.m., I determined to continue with the game... trying to stay quite and not wake the household, I joyfully watched the best basketball game I have ever seen.

My wife, this morning, pointed out their 2 tournament wins have come when I was serving the Lord.

This post, although completely true, is just for fun. I know God doesn't care about sports. It is ironic, and funny. However, I will end with this... we plays tomorrow against # 1 Purdue, but as far as me and my family, we will be at church.
Well said.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » March 23rd, 2024, 8:55 am

I realize not all us Aggie fans share the same feelings regarding those activities you described, but I do. Very much so. Thanks for the story. I was in France during 2001. And tomorrow, our meetings are also during tip off, so I'll have to record and come home. It was pretty late for me when the game ended, but it was a wonderful night.
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post (total 3):
AngusAgNAggsty ButlerStanfordAggie

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » March 23rd, 2024, 9:00 am

I think that you know what you have to do during every post season game for the rest of your life haha.
These users thanked the author EngineeringAggie for the post (total 4):
bob thomposnGreenAgAggieFan50CastIronAggie

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 23rd, 2024, 9:05 am

We all must make our own sacrifices to see the Aggies prevail

Not sent from Tapatalk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 23rd, 2024, 9:14 am

ronburgandee wrote:

Thank you for doing this for the rest of us my Aggie brother.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
AngusAgbob thomposn

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 23rd, 2024, 9:28 am

I was in Brazil as well serving a mission in 2001. Had no clue the Aggies won until about 6 weeks later receiving all sorts of newspaper clippings from my dad. Ever since I've been wanting to actually watch an Aggie victory in the tournament. Last night was very very sweet.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
aggies22Aggie formerly in Hawaii

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » March 23rd, 2024, 9:29 am

My story:
I was married for 18 years…never won a tournament game. Split up, and get it done first try. You’re welcome.
These users thanked the author SweepDance for the post (total 22):
aggies22stewusu98flying_scotsman2.0FloridaAggie13cowcollegeAggie formerly in HawaiiAggieArmytrevordudeAggiecpaNAggsty Butler and 12 more users

Donman

Post by Donman » March 23rd, 2024, 9:56 am

ronburgandee wrote:I have never actually seen the aggies win in the tournament. In February (and March) of 2001, I left for the Brazilian MTC. It was there that I received a letter from my mom with the sports section of the newspaper stuffed in. The Front page of the sports section talked about a USU win in the tournament. I returned home from my mission and ultimately finished my degree at USU.

I hope you have church that starts at 12:40 Mountain Time Sunday. If not go serve someone during that time

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

BiocatAg

Post by BiocatAg » March 23rd, 2024, 10:02 am

I was on my mission in Venezuela at the time, spent 6 years at USU (BS and MS degrees) and in the basketball pep band all of those years. Travelled to multiple NCAA tournaments, but never saw us win a postseason game. I even went to the NIT game at Illinois State when we were living in Iowa.

Speaking of temple cleaning, Nick Saban and most of the Alabama coaching staff live in my ward boundaries. When Alabama was playing Georgia in the SEC championship a few years ago, our ward had a temple cleaning assignment at the same time as the championship game (this is when Tua was the starting QB). I still went to clean the temple, and after we finished, we listened to the second half while driving home. Jalen Hurts came in for an injured Tua and led the Tide to a come-from-behind victory. We joked afterward that it was our temple cleaning sacrifice that helped Alabama come back to win.
These users thanked the author BiocatAg for the post:
aggies22

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 23rd, 2024, 11:05 am

I don’t know what time your ward meets but it’s vital you stay at the church through the game. Do what you have to, help the deacons take out the trash. Just do not leave!
Last edited by Hoot on March 23rd, 2024, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 7):
EngineeringAggieNAggsty Butlerbob thomposnAngusAgGreenAgaggies22CastIronAggie

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

MacAggie

Post by MacAggie » March 23rd, 2024, 11:17 am

ronburgandee wrote:

Thanks for serving in the temple. What an awesome story. Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author MacAggie for the post (total 5):
cvalSection_L_AggieAngusAgvegasaggie918AGG

aggieballaholic
Has thanked: 0

Post by aggieballaholic » March 23rd, 2024, 11:23 am

Thank you for making this post. I've loved the Aggies my entire life and have taken my kids to countless football and basketball games. Including basketball tournaments and bowl games. The last time the Aggies won an NCAA tournament game I was in Spain serving a mission. Now, 23 years later, the next Aggie tournament win happens while my son is in serving his mission in Peru.
These users thanked the author aggieballaholic for the post (total 5):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiAngusAgvegasaggieaggies22AggieUprising50

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 23rd, 2024, 11:27 am

aggieballaholic wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 11:23 am
Thank you for making this post. I've loved the Aggies my entire life and have taken my kids to countless football and basketball games. Including basketball tournaments and bowl games. The last time the Aggies won an NCAA tournament game I was in Spain serving a mission. Now, 23 years later, the next Aggie tournament win happens while my son is in serving his mission in Peru.
Hopefully the next one is before your grandson is out
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
bob thomposnaggies22

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » March 23rd, 2024, 12:00 pm

aggieballaholic wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 11:23 am
I was also in Spain on my mission during the last win, so last night was my first time witnessing an Aggie win in the tournament. Great times!
Lucky for me it is Stake Conference tomorrow instead of our normal meeting from 12 to 2. Go Aggies!

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » March 23rd, 2024, 12:15 pm

I was a dirty cougar fan (pun sort of intended) at the time, still in high school, following the traditions of my fathers. I didn't start at USU until 2004, and have been a diehard Aggie since (I threw all of my BYU love out of my heart after the first time watching USU play in the Spectrum spring of 2004).

Last night, watching the game with my 14 year old die hard Aggie son, he looks at me and says "This is uncharted territory for me, Dad. I've never seen the Aggies win a tournament game." I looked at him and said "It's uncharted territory for me too, bud. I've never experienced this either."

Pretty surreal.
These users thanked the author NAggsty Butler for the post (total 6):
AggieFBObsessionSection_L_Aggiebob thomposnZaggie07AngusAgaggies22

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » March 23rd, 2024, 12:31 pm

I was a junior at WX high school, listening on a beat up old Walkman in the cafeteria lunch line. Remember it like it was yesterday. When we sent it to OT I had never been more excited in my sports life. Until shortly thereafter when we finished the deal.

Last night, watching with our 15 month old son sleeping in his crib in his Aggie gameday shirt and my family decked out in Aggie gear was one of the sweetest experiences ever. Tears of joy were shed and 20 plus years of frustration melted away.
These users thanked the author Section_L_Aggie for the post (total 5):
bob thomposntrevordudethrashsoundlyaggies22918AGG

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 23rd, 2024, 1:40 pm

I grew up an Aggie. My first time seeing the Aggies was at a game with my dad in the 1980s when Rod Tueller was the coach and Nixon was our PG and we were playing UC Irvine. I was already a fan, but my first Spectrum game made me a fan forever.

I had always heard the stories from my dad about Wayne Estes, Marv Roberts and Cornell Green. My dad was not a fan of Rod Tueller, Kohn Smith or even Stew Morrill. He was very critical of coaches in general. He loved LaDell Anderson. I don't blame him necessarily. However, I think he'd be a huge fan of Sprinkle as I am. I'm not a fan of how Sprinkle has been dealing with the Washington rumors, but I love him as a coach.

Later, my older brother would take me to games when Larry Eustachy was the coach and I remember our OT game in the Spectrum against NM State. I'll never forget Eric Fransen, Roddie Anderson, Corwin Woodard, Silas Mills, etc. Roddie Anderson was a better point guard than his son. People say that Stew Morrill rebuilt our program. But I beg to differ to a degree. Larry Eustachy was the beginning of the rebuild. Utah State was always known as a good basketball program.

When I was in college, I was a huge fan of Shawn Daniels, later Desmond Penigar, later Nate Harris, Spencer Nelson. Then I followed the Jaycee Carroll and Tai Wesley years very closely. I could begin to see by the Jaycee Carroll years, that we weren't going to get it done in the tournament.

Sam Merrill later gave me some hope, but it was delusional hope. We still lacked the electric point guard that would get us beyond the first round when we were matched against a team that had us outmatched at the majority of the positions.

This year was the first year since Jared Quayle that we've had an electric point guard. And Jared, frankly, wasn't as electric. And that's why we have a chance against ANYONE we play.

My father would've been a huge fan of Osobor. He really loved Marv Roberts. I brought him to a game when Penigar was playing. He was generally unimpressed. Remember Penigar nearly won single-handedly against #2 seed Kansas. And I'm telling you that he would've loved Osobor. Think about that...
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13vegasaggieaggies22

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » March 23rd, 2024, 1:50 pm

I'm going to make a few people on this forum feel old. I wasn't even born yet the last time the Aggies won in the tournament. As for me I will be attending the 9am YSA Ward instead of my 12:00 YSA Ward tomorrow!
These users thanked the author VegasBornAggie for the post (total 4):
AngusAgAggie formerly in Hawaiijackattackaggies22

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 23rd, 2024, 1:55 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 12:15 pm
I was a dirty cougar fan (pun sort of intended) at the time, still in high school, following the traditions of my fathers. I didn't start at USU until 2004, and have been a diehard Aggie since (I threw all of my BYU love out of my heart after the first time watching USU play in the Spectrum spring of 2004).

Last night, watching the game with my 14 year old die hard Aggie son, he looks at me and says "This is uncharted territory for me, Dad. I've never seen the Aggies win a tournament game." I looked at him and said "It's uncharted territory for me too, bud. I've never experienced this either."

Pretty surreal.
I don't know what is more shocking to me. That we won in such fashion, or that a fourteen-year-old accurately and appropriately used 'uncharted' in a sentence.

Well done dad!!
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
NAggsty Butleraggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 23rd, 2024, 2:03 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 1:50 pm
I'm going to make a few people on this forum feel old. I wasn't even born yet the last time the Aggies won in the tournament. As for me I will be attending the 9am YSA Ward instead of my 12:00 YSA Ward tomorrow!
That's the spirit!
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
VegasBornAggie

ToastedFlakes52

Post by ToastedFlakes52 » March 23rd, 2024, 2:19 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:
I'd be willing to bet the 12:00 and 1:30 YSA wards see a dip in attendance tomorrow, while the 9:00 and 10:30 wards have a few extra visitors.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 23rd, 2024, 2:32 pm

ronburgandee wrote:

Great story. If it helps, I will be at the MTC all day tomorrow - 7:30-4:30. Fingers crossed. ;)

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 23rd, 2024, 2:55 pm

Wow. Someone mops the floors at the Temple and gets all the love for the change in fortune and the win. Meanwhile, we sacrificed a virgin on my Onlyfans and all I got was a t-shirt.

Something doesn't seem right :headscratch:
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 6):
3rdGenAggieStanfordAggievegasaggieSaintAggieaggies22ChowderAggie

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 23rd, 2024, 3:06 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 2:55 pm
Wow. Someone mops the floors at the Temple and gets all the love for the change in fortune and the win. Meanwhile, we sacrificed a virgin on my Onlyfans and all I got was a t-shirt.

Something doesn't seem right :headscratch:
So that’s the real reason @AggieIceCream05 is gone!
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 8):
FloridaAggie133rdGenAggieStanfordAggieToastedFlakes52AggiePTstwinwardaggies22ChowderAggie

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

1TruAggie

Post by 1TruAggie » March 23rd, 2024, 3:09 pm

To the believers, be sure you clean the LDS building nearest you today extra well so Elohim smiles on the Aggies tomorrow.

As for me and my house, we’ll play pickle ball tomorrow morning to summon Nike, the Greek God of victory to our cause.

In the name of cheese and rice, ramen. 🫡

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 23rd, 2024, 3:12 pm

And here I was thinking we won because this is the first year I’ve been doing plaintiff’s work as opposed to insurance defense.

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » March 23rd, 2024, 3:42 pm

ToastedFlakes52 wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 2:19 pm
VegasBornAggie wrote:
I'd be willing to bet the 12:00 and 1:30 YSA wards see a dip in attendance tomorrow, while the 9:00 and 10:30 wards have a few extra visitors.
They'll have at least one new visitor tomorrow. Likely many more

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » March 23rd, 2024, 3:44 pm

^^^^
You'd better be giving a talk or teaching tomorrow!!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 23rd, 2024, 4:31 pm

BiocatAg wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 10:02 am
I was on my mission in Venezuela at the time, spent 6 years at USU (BS and MS degrees) and in the basketball pep band all of those years. Travelled to multiple NCAA tournaments, but never saw us win a postseason game. I even went to the NIT game at Illinois State when we were living in Iowa.

Speaking of temple cleaning, Nick Saban and most of the Alabama coaching staff live in my ward boundaries. When Alabama was playing Georgia in the SEC championship a few years ago, our ward had a temple cleaning assignment at the same time as the championship game (this is when Tua was the starting QB). I still went to clean the temple, and after we finished, we listened to the second half while driving home. Jalen Hurts came in for an injured Tua and led the Tide to a come-from-behind victory. We joked afterward that it was our temple cleaning sacrifice that helped Alabama come back to win.
Maracucho?

I was also out of country in 2001. Glad I could enjoy the one last night. I hope for many more. I also have a busy day tomorrow. My fam will be reppin’.

BiocatAg

Post by BiocatAg » March 23rd, 2024, 5:01 pm

NVAggie wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 4:31 pm
BiocatAg wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 10:02 am

Maracucho?

I was also out of country in 2001. Glad I could enjoy the one last night. I hope for many more. I also have a busy day tomorrow. My fam will be reppin’.
Nope- Margariteño. Venezuela Barcelona mission. Spent the first nine months on Margarita Island.

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » March 23rd, 2024, 7:38 pm

ronburgandee wrote:

Great story! I remember watching Tony brown send it to overtime in my parents basement! The whole family cleared the couch!! My brother and I went to the first midnight practice the next fall and Al was the MC.. he mentioned the shot and I made some wise crack to my brother and Al acknowledged it over the PA… fun times! Watched another tournament game in a hotel lobby in Moab on spring break. We snuck in. 😜😂
These users thanked the author The Old Bull for the post:
aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 24th, 2024, 12:08 pm

Alright. I gotta say it. As one no longer of the predominant faith, the OP is sweet, but also a little cringey. I read it with a smile that morphed to a grimace and then to a slight smile again.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 24th, 2024, 12:11 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Alright. I gotta say it. As one no longer of the predominant faith, the OP is sweet, but also a little cringey. I read it with a smile that morphed to a grimace and then to a slight smile again.
This thread is like fast and testimony meeting.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 24th, 2024, 12:17 pm

If there are any Purdue fans lurking here, they must be a very confused group.

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13ChowderAggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic