NAR Tom Izzo

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

NAR Tom Izzo

Post by Aggie84025 » March 20th, 2024, 11:37 am

Tom Izzo has concerns that allowing all the conference auto bids may not be the best thing for the tournament. It is amazing to me the arrogance of some of these elitists. The NCAA tournament is the best sporting event in part because there are upsets and it is truly decided on the court. He mentioned that the upsets may not be good after the first weekend. Upsets are what make the tournament what it is. They need to just leave it alone. College football has already been basically ruined by the SEC and BIG 10 they don't need to do the same thing to college basketball.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -analytics
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiFloridaAggie13flying_scotsman2.0

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: NAR Tom Izzo

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 20th, 2024, 11:40 am

Lol hilariously bad take by izzo. Last 3 years oral Roberts, st Peter's and Princeton all made the sweet sixteen and beat Blueblood programs to do it. And that isn't even bringing up fau and SDSU last year making the final four. Izzo should retire. His program hasn't been great since around the time he lost to middle Tennessee state in the first round
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025FloridaAggie13

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 20th, 2024, 11:41 am

Tom Izzo can eat my poo.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025FloridaAggie13Aggie formerly in Hawaii

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 20th, 2024, 11:52 am

Besides UVA displacing Indiana State and wanting UVA to lose by as much as possible. Mich State is the other team I would love to see get beat by 20+.

They tanked at the end of the season (2-5 with 3 Q2 losses where they were favored), had only 3 Q1 wins, and IMO should have been an 11-12 at best.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
AggieFBObsession

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 20th, 2024, 11:58 am

Izzo is the main reason they received a higher seed. His take is terrible.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 20th, 2024, 12:03 pm

jpswensen wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 11:52 am
Besides UVA displacing Indiana State and wanting UVA to lose by as much as possible. Mich State is the other team I would love to see get beat by 20+.

They tanked at the end of the season (2-5 with 3 Q2 losses where they were favored), had only 3 Q1 wins, and IMO should have been an 11-12 at best.
Agreed, i can't stand Izzo and hope they get beat in the first round.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 20th, 2024, 12:03 pm

NVAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 11:58 am
Izzo is the main reason they received a higher seed. His take is terrible.
Agreed, in all reality MSU should have been in one of the first 4 matchups.

twentytwocactus

Post by twentytwocactus » March 20th, 2024, 12:26 pm

people who think that every conference shouldn't get an auto bid are the stupidest people on earth. Yes i would rather watch any 13-16 seed AQ than any of the 17-13 teams from power five conferences. Everyone would rather do that.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 20th, 2024, 12:38 pm

So where exactly did Tom say that we should look at moving away from the auto-bids? The article says this: "SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has been among the influential voices suggesting the NCAA tournament should end the practice of awarding automatic bids to each conference champion."

That's not Tom though. It then goes into an unrelated and out of context quote from Tom but I can't see where he's actually stated that. I watched the video and the quotes in the article aren't even from the video. Maybe that is what he means...but I didn't gather that from what he's actually said.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 20th, 2024, 12:46 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 12:38 pm
So where exactly did Tom say that we should look at moving away from the auto-bids? The article says this: "SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has been among the influential voices suggesting the NCAA tournament should end the practice of awarding automatic bids to each conference champion."

That's not Tom though. It then goes into an unrelated and out of context quote from Tom but I can't see where he's actually stated that. I watched the video and the quotes in the article aren't even from the video. Maybe that is what he means...but I didn't gather that from what he's actually said.
Below is the part regarding the one bid conferences. He never comes out and says that they should get rid of it but is basically implying that if they leave out big name programs like Michigan State that maybe the process should be evaluated.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has been among the influential voices suggesting the NCAA tournament should end the practice of awarding automatic bids to each conference champion -- typically determined by the winner of the league's conference tournament -- in favor of more selections by the committee.

Izzo, who played in college at Division II Northern Michigan, said he's always been a fan of "the little guys" but that from a business perspective, squeezing out big-name programs like Michigan State presents problems. Izzo, whose teams have made 26 consecutive NCAA tournaments, noted that 20 of the 32 Division I conferences had a team win the league tournament that wasn't the regular-season champion.

"What's happening now, everybody likes the upsets on the first weekend, but I'm not sure moving on that's what's best for the game," Izzo said. "I think it's got to be looked at seriously."

Izzo said that might offer a good incentive to expand the tournament beyond its current 68-team makeup, but that money will be the ultimate driver either way.

"It's all about what is best for the financial part of it, if I'm going to be very blunt, more than it is the players and teams," he said.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 20th, 2024, 12:47 pm

I doubt any lower tier conference champ gets embarrassed any worse than UVA did last night.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 20th, 2024, 12:50 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 12:46 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 12:38 pm

Below is the part regarding the one bid conferences. He never comes out and says that they should get rid of it but is basically implying that if they leave out big name programs like Michigan State that maybe the process should be evaluated.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has been among the influential voices suggesting the NCAA tournament should end the practice of awarding automatic bids to each conference champion -- typically determined by the winner of the league's conference tournament -- in favor of more selections by the committee.

Izzo, who played in college at Division II Northern Michigan, said he's always been a fan of "the little guys" but that from a business perspective, squeezing out big-name programs like Michigan State presents problems. Izzo, whose teams have made 26 consecutive NCAA tournaments, noted that 20 of the 32 Division I conferences had a team win the league tournament that wasn't the regular-season champion.

"What's happening now, everybody likes the upsets on the first weekend, but I'm not sure moving on that's what's best for the game," Izzo said. "I think it's got to be looked at seriously."

Izzo said that might offer a good incentive to expand the tournament beyond its current 68-team makeup, but that money will be the ultimate driver either way.

"It's all about what is best for the financial part of it, if I'm going to be very blunt, more than it is the players and teams," he said.
I even quoted that part in my post. A few people online have said that Izzo's comments were in regards to not expanding the tournament. The SEC Commissioner said that we should start looking at cutting the auto-bids and then they took some statements from Izzo that appear to be unrelated and used them to push that narrative.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025Real Life Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 20th, 2024, 12:50 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 12:47 pm
I doubt any lower tier conference champ gets embarrassed any worse than UVA did last night.
14-56 from the field. Absolutely embarrassing

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » March 20th, 2024, 4:09 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 12:50 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 12:47 pm
14-56 from the field. Absolutely embarrassing
It was wonderful to watch!
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 20th, 2024, 5:50 pm

Last time I said a school didn’t belong in the tournament it was VCU and they went to the Final 4. (Although they weren’t an autobid but a last 4 in)

There is also GMU, FAU, Loyola Chicago, Saint Peters, Princeton, Florida Gulf Coast all making at least the Sweet 16 and for several the Final 4. The Cinderella’s are what drive March madness. In no other sport did we all print off brackets and try to predict the winners. We don’t even do that for the NFL. Sister Jean willing her guys to the final 4 is what makes it exciting.

If it were just P5 teams and maybe a few from the A10, Big East, MWC, WCC and AAC it wouldn’t be nearly as exciting.
Aside from the Aggies playing, the upsets are what make March Madness watchable.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 4):
Aggie84025FloridaAggie13Bank ShotAggieFBObsession

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 20th, 2024, 7:01 pm

I wonder if there are any other advantages that Izzo would like to have. Maybe we should just award his team the championship every year.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » March 20th, 2024, 10:21 pm

NVAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 7:01 pm
I wonder if there are any other advantages that Izzo would like to have. Maybe we should just award his team the championship every year.
Right? It must be so hard to be him.
These users thanked the author Cuchelain for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 20th, 2024, 11:00 pm

Cuchelain wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 10:21 pm
NVAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 7:01 pm
Right? It must be so hard to be him.
Maybe draymond green can give him a hug

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic