Where are the Optimists?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OrangeCountyAggie

Where are the Optimists?

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 16th, 2024, 2:49 pm

The Utah State Basketball program is better then its ever been. Yes challenging things might happen but does everyone have to be angry nostradamus on here?

:utah: :state:
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 8):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiivegasaggiebigblue32StanfordAggieLarryTheAggieToastedFlakes52IdahomeAggieCodingAggieBlue

AggieFBObsession

Re: Where are the Optimists?

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 16th, 2024, 2:50 pm

I'm 70/30 optimistic that we'll win the first round game. However, I'm not so optimistic for the long term success of mid-major basketball programs like ours because of NIL.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 16th, 2024, 2:55 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 2:49 pm
The Utah State Basketball program is better then its ever been. Yes challenging things might happen but does everyone have to be angry nostradamus on here?

Me. This year has been great and are going to have our best seed ever next week. If we have to hire a new coach we'll hire another good coach. 5 of our last 6 coaches did a good job whether they were here for a year or 17 years. Plenty of good coaches will want this job

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 16th, 2024, 2:56 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 2:55 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 2:49 pm

Me. This year has been great and are going to have our best seed ever next week. If we have to hire a new coach we'll hire another good coach. 5 of our last 6 coaches did a good job whether they were here for a year or 17 years. Plenty of good coaches will want this job
If you're right, Sabau will hire a coach that can bring the best players on his roster. That's the blueprint now.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » March 16th, 2024, 4:45 pm

Sorinkle stays, heard it here first, you can thank me later. All the reasons are on another thread.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » March 16th, 2024, 5:14 pm

I’m an optimist! How could not be after watching this team all season? We earned the outright regular season Mountain West Championship and we get to play in the NCAA tournament next week with maybe our highest seed ever. And all this after being picked to finish 9th? That is amazing!

Enjoy the ride and for the love of all things holy save the whining and wailing and gnashing of teeth for after the ride is actually over. If you can’t find some enjoyment in this season then the problem is you.
These users thanked the author Cuchelain for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in HawaiivegasaggieToastedFlakes52

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » March 16th, 2024, 5:18 pm

A thought that keeps running through my mind while watching the MWCT games. There are some really good teams and USU is the outright champion. It still amazes.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 16th, 2024, 6:22 pm

I wouldn’t call myself an optimist, but some positives include:
MWC champs when the league has never been stronger
2 consecutive at-large bids and bids earned in 5 of the past 6 seasons
Some nice buyout money
Reported that we can offer more to the next coach and players
The demise of the PAC making the MW the premier conference in the West
Another outside shot to pickup a win in the NCAA tourney
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post (total 3):
Bank Shottrevordudesignalwar

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 16th, 2024, 7:05 pm

I was at the game yesterday, and while very disappointed in letting a 17 point lead slip away, I am 150% Bullish on Utah State University. We get more return on our investment than any other University. In business, we'd have no problem getting 'investors' to invest in our future (more to come on this point later). We succeed when everyone doesn't believe or doesn't want us to succeed. That said, we need another 'all hands on deck' approach to doubling or tripling our endowment with a good portion of that be set aside for sports programs success. I believe Cantwell can take an approach similar to Albrect.

Regarding 'investors', I am completely Bearish on our fan base. Due to our majority LDS enrollment and alumni base, funds that could be directed to Utah State, end up benefiting a certain school in Utah County. It's truly very unfortunate. Even if 2-5% of the 10% could be redirected to Utah State, that would make a significant difference. The LDS Church is very wealthy.
I am sure they won't miss some their tithing.

Additionally, our fans are the most insecure fans on the planet. If coaches don't want to be here or can't see the opportunity to build something special here (making possibly $2 million a year), then they aren't the right people to lead our programs. There aren't many better fan bases in college basketball than our fan base. Someone will eventually figure that out. Yes, I believe this!
These users thanked the author ChicagoAggie for the post (total 2):
trevordudeGreenAg

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 16th, 2024, 7:19 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:05 pm
I was at the game yesterday, and while very disappointed in letting a 17 point lead slip away, I am 150% Bullish on Utah State University. We get more return on our investment than any other University. In business, we'd have no problem getting 'investors' to invest in our future (more to come on this point later). We succeed when everyone doesn't believe or doesn't want us to succeed. That said, we need another 'all hands on deck' approach to doubling or tripling our endowment with a good portion of that be set aside for sports programs success. I believe Cantwell can take an approach similar to Albrect.

Regarding 'investors', I am completely Bearish on our fan base. Due to our majority LDS enrollment and alumni base, funds that could be directed to Utah State, end up benefiting a certain school in Utah County. It's truly very unfortunate. Even if 2-5% of the 10% could be redirected to Utah State, that would make a significant difference. The LDS Church is very wealthy.

Additionally, our fans are the most insecure fans on the planet. If coaches don't want to be here or can't see the opportunity to build something special here (making possibly $2 million a year), then they aren't the right people to lead our programs. There aren't many better fan bases in college basketball than our fan base. Someone will eventually figure that out. Yes, I believe this!

So our fans suck or rock? Your post is very confusing.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post:
JefferyBaird(DJJEFFERYB)

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 16th, 2024, 7:23 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:19 pm
ChicagoAggie wrote:

Great fan environment (rock)! (I can't express myself without swearing) with donating (suck)! Is that still confusing for you?!?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 16th, 2024, 7:25 pm

I hope I owe you all a beer....

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 16th, 2024, 7:26 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:25 pm
I hope I owe you all a beer....
Rent is due my Aggie Brother!

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 16th, 2024, 7:27 pm

So many worried about so much that they can’t control. All I know is last Saturday night in the spectrum was special. This team has been a lot of fun to watch. Enjoy the moment instead of crying about what may or may not happen
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post (total 3):
Section_L_AggiecdaAgnewtonianblue

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 16th, 2024, 7:35 pm

brian5562 wrote:So many worried about so much that they can’t control. All I know is last Saturday night in the spectrum was special. This team has been a lot of fun to watch. Enjoy the moment instead of crying about what may or may not happen
Do you expect Aggie fans to be excited about losing our coach after one of our best seasons ever ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
JefferyBaird(DJJEFFERYB)

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 16th, 2024, 7:40 pm

2004AG wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:35 pm
brian5562 wrote:So many worried about so much that they can’t control. All I know is last Saturday night in the spectrum was special. This team has been a lot of fun to watch. Enjoy the moment instead of crying about what may or may not happen
Do you expect Aggie fans to be excited about losing our coach after one of our best seasons ever ?

I don't think anyone is happy, but the constant sky is falling and the insecurity around it get old for me. Just my two cents. Feel free to disagree......

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 16th, 2024, 7:41 pm

brian5562 wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:27 pm
So many worried about so much that they can’t control. All I know is last Saturday night in the spectrum was special. This team has been a lot of fun to watch. Enjoy the moment instead of crying about what may or may not happen
I'm a bit concerned it's starting affecting the team's performance.

Not that Danny is completely ignoring things as I like to joke, but the subconscious changes of when you have your next adventure starting before this one has ended.

No doubt it's on everyone's minds, head coach, coaching staff, players. Uncertainty of the future is rarely a good thing for organizations
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post (total 3):
ChowderAggieAngusAgFloridaAggie13

Not sent from Tapatalk

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 16th, 2024, 7:43 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:23 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:

Great fan environment (rock)! (I can't express myself without swearing) with donating (suck)! Is that still confusing for you?!?
I’m still confused.

1. USU fans suck because they are insecure?
2. USU fans suck in terms of donating, because many are Mormon?
3. USU fans don’t suck because they attend games and cheer?
4. We get the best return on our investment over every school, but haven’t won a game in the NCAA since 2001? Does ROI include the NCAA tournaments?

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 16th, 2024, 7:44 pm

2004AG wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:35 pm

Did I say that? No, I said enjoy the moment. Can’t control if the decides to leave. If and when that happens who knows but when it does we can all (I can't express myself without swearing) and moan together

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 16th, 2024, 7:45 pm

2004AG wrote:

And our top players and top recruits???? Bull (I can't express myself without swearing) on not being down. Last Saturday was special. I’m feeling far from special right now. If you think this is a great way to be going into the NCAA tournament than we view things differently. Imagine if Danny had signed the extension and we know most of the MWC Champs are returning? It’s a whole different ballgame.

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post (total 2):
ChowderAggietrevordude

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » March 16th, 2024, 7:47 pm

Predictions
- 5 or 6 Seed in SLC
- Sprinkle stays for next year
- Nigel Burris and Jackson Grant Transfer Out
- Everyone else stays
- Solid Grad Transfer Guard comes in.
These users thanked the author VegasBornAggie for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 16th, 2024, 7:50 pm

trevordude wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:41 pm
brian5562 wrote:

Not that Danny is completely ignoring things as I like to joke, but the subconscious changes of when you have your next adventure starting before this one has ended.

No doubt it's on everyone's minds, head coach, coaching staff, players. Uncertainty of the future is rarely a good thing for organizations
We got beat by a really good team yesterday. SDSU didn't miss a shot in the second half. I don't know how you can say our team's performance has been affected. We are Regular Season Champs and accomplished this with a bullseye on our back for at least half of the conference season which ended last week. This is exactly the kind of point I am trying to make about our insecure fan base. I am sure players read this board. When players see comments like this and our fan base melting down, they might just pack it in! I'd hope they're competitive juices make them better than our fans. They might not have another opportunity like this, ever (i.e. Brown). Let's see what happens next week and then we might be able to have better speculation!
These users thanked the author ChicagoAggie for the post (total 4):
brian5562bigblue32Section_L_Aggievegasaggie

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 16th, 2024, 7:52 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:45 pm
2004AG wrote:

And our top players and top recruits???? Bull (I can't express myself without swearing) on not being down. Last Saturday was special. I’m feeling far from special right now. If you think this is a great way to be going into the NCAA tournament than we view things differently. Imagine if Danny had signed the extension and we know most of the MWC Champs are returning? It’s a whole different ballgame.

So it’s all in stone. Coach has an agreement in place with another school and players bags are already packed? If that is the truth then the AD should decline the invitation to play in the tournament

Chatman

Post by Chatman » March 16th, 2024, 7:53 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 2:50 pm
I'm 70/30 optimistic that we'll win the first round game. However, I'm not so optimistic for the long term success of mid-major basketball programs like ours because of NIL.
Why?

There are always good players that want to play. Just need two or three good players each year to compete well. Same amount of players that want to play. Same amount of programs.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 16th, 2024, 7:56 pm

I think the basketball program is in an awesome shape. Spectrum magic is in a great spot. Student support has been awesome and overall fan support has been great. Fans showed out really well in Vegas. Whether Sprinkle stays or goes we are still in a good spot.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
brian5562Section_L_Aggie

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 16th, 2024, 7:58 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:43 pm
ChicagoAggie wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:

I’m still confused.

1. USU fans suck because they are insecure? Yep
2. USU fans suck in terms of donating, because many are Mormon? Not necessarily because many are Mormon, but you are too obtuse to understand.
3. USU fans don’t suck because they attend games and cheer? Exactly
4. We get the best return on our investment over every school, but haven’t won a game in the NCAA since 2001? Does ROI include the NCAA tournaments? You keep making my point, our budget should never provide any kind of success, yet we do have it. If you don't think making the NCAA nearly every year while participating in the Mountain West Conference is not an accomplishment I don't know what to tell you. Winning and winning consistently in the NCAA is going to take money (i.e. donations).
BOLD

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 16th, 2024, 7:59 pm

brian5562 wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:45 pm
2004AG wrote:

So it’s all in stone. Coach has an agreement in place with another school and players bags are already packed? If that is the truth then the AD should decline the invitation to play in the tournament
I hope like hell Danny stays. Danny is well aware of the speculation of him going to Washington. He knows that we know about the extension that he was offered. If he had any intention of staying he would have laid the speculation to rest and signed the extension. Of course he can’t come out and say he’s leaving or the school wouldn’t let him coach. Has he told the school he’s officially leaving? Nope. Is he leaving? Yep.

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » March 16th, 2024, 7:59 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:50 pm
trevordude wrote:
brian5562 wrote:

We got beat by a really good team yesterday. SDSU didn't miss a shot in the second half. I don't know how you can say our team's performance has been affected. We are Regular Season Champs and accomplished this with a bullseye on our back for at least half of the conference season which ended last week. This is exactly the kind of point I am trying to make about our insecure fan base. I am sure players read this board. When players see comments like this and our fan base melting down, they might just pack it in! I'd hope they're competitive juices make them better than our fans. They might not have another opportunity like this, ever (i.e. Brown). Let's see what happens next week and then we might be able to have better speculation!
Couldn’t agree more! The negative nancy’s on this board are beyond ridiculous.

I can’t wait for tomorrow to find out our next opportunity! I choose to believe!

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 16th, 2024, 8:05 pm

trevordude wrote:
brian5562 wrote:

You make a good point. In fact, I imagine the players that know they are going with him have already begun to emotionally move on.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
ChowderAggieJefferyBaird(DJJEFFERYB)

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 16th, 2024, 8:10 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
trevordude wrote:
brian5562 wrote:

If you think players might ‘pack it in’ because of insecure fans on a message board, I’m not sure there is much more to discuss.

On the other hand, insecure fans on a message board might explain how a Quad 4 program just took us to overtime.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 16th, 2024, 8:11 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 8:05 pm
trevordude wrote:
brian5562 wrote:

You make a good point. In fact, I imagine the players that know they are going with him have already begun to emotionally move on.
If a player is checking out, given the opportunity in front of them next week, then (I can't express myself without swearing) them. My God, have any of you ever played competitive sports? There is no way a high level competitor is checking out. If they are, then we don't need them.
These users thanked the author ChicagoAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiisignalwar

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 16th, 2024, 8:12 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 8:11 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 8:05 pm
trevordude wrote:
brian5562 wrote:

If a player is checking out, given the opportunity in front of them next week, then (I can't express myself without swearing) them. My God, have any of you ever played competitive sports? There is no way a high level competitor is checking out. If they are, then we don't need them.
Yeah it would be absolute insanity to check out now with the tournament coming up. No competitor would
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 16th, 2024, 8:14 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 8:10 pm
ChicagoAggie wrote:
trevordude wrote:
brian5562 wrote:

If you think players might ‘pack it in’ because of insecure fans on a message board, I’m not sure there is much more to discuss.

On the other hand, insecure fans on a message board might explain how a Quad 4 program just took us to overtime.
I don't. I was being completely sarcastic!

Yep, definitely proof we've checked out for the season!

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 16th, 2024, 8:18 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:58 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 7:43 pm
ChicagoAggie wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:

I’m still confused.

1. USU fans suck because they are insecure? Yep
2. USU fans suck in terms of donating, because many are Mormon? Not necessarily because many are Mormon, but you are too obtuse to understand.
3. USU fans don’t suck because they attend games and cheer? Exactly
4. We get the best return on our investment over every school, but haven’t won a game in the NCAA since 2001? Does ROI include the NCAA tournaments? You keep making my point, our budget should never provide any kind of success, yet we do have it. If you don't think making the NCAA nearly every year while participating in the Mountain West Conference is not an accomplishment I don't know what to tell you. Winning and winning consistently in the NCAA is going to take money (i.e. donations).
BOLD
Thanks for clarifying and saying it’s not because many of our fans are Mormons. For some reason, I thought you said,

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 16th, 2024, 8:20 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
trevordude wrote:
brian5562 wrote:

If I'm the reason the players pack it in, and not their coach leaving and taking half the team, they need help.

I'm still be at whatever NCAA game we get, but I'm not pretending that the current climate is a good thing for the program
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
ChowderAggie

Not sent from Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic