Blue A Collective

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USUFAN5

Re: Blue A Collective

Post by USUFAN5 » March 11th, 2024, 2:19 pm

What kind of contracts do these kids sign? I don't like the idea of a kid coming in here and getting 100K and then leaving for more. NIL in its purity wasn't a horrible idea....you have businesses enter into agreements with kids for advertising, etc. and they got paid for doing so but if they left...neither party provided a benefit anymore so no big deal. Now, with the collective it seems like signing bonuses....with no real commitment from the player. How are these deals structured? Are they monthly payments to the player and if they exit before their expected term is over....the financial commitment is discontinued? It just seem like the potential for a couple of players to come in and clean out the collective and leave.
These users thanked the author USUFAN5 for the post (total 3):
aggies22FloridaAggie13aggiesdidwhat

BlueAAggie

Post by BlueAAggie » March 11th, 2024, 2:20 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 1:09 pm
Is it possible to put into the coach's contract buyouts, an amount of money that they will pay into the collective? For example, Danny goes to UW, well UW now has to donate 500k or 1mil to the USU Collective?
We operate and have to stay independent. Not saying that that won’t change in the future because the NIL landscape changes all the time! But we are not going to have affiliation when it comes to coaches contracts and or buyouts in the current landscape. It definitely would be great though for sure if possible but right now it’s not.

BlueAAggie

Post by BlueAAggie » March 11th, 2024, 2:24 pm

EngineeringAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 2:06 pm
What percent of the collective’s money do you save and invest for the future versus give to the players each month? I guess I’m trying to ask if we have a slush fund sitting around to use on players or if we run the collective bone dry each month and need to fundraise those big donations each time there’s a player we are trying to hold onto.
Right now it’s been money in money out. That won’t be the case moving forward if we execute on our plan. The idea of a full endowment isn’t quite feasible either. That type of money is so astronomical to get to a point to sustain itself it’s just not in the cards. There were a few very large collectives that tried to do it and it never worked out and the way switched gears. If we can get to a surplus we can find ways to get the money working in a safe liquid vehicle to produce a little more income but a full endowment type fund isn’t in the cards. That’s why the monthly donations and other revenue sharing opportunities with businesses are so crucial for long term success.
These users thanked the author BlueAAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22EngineeringAggie

BlueAAggie

Post by BlueAAggie » March 11th, 2024, 2:37 pm

USUFAN5 wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 2:19 pm
What kind of contracts do these kids sign? I don't like the idea of a kid coming in here and getting 100K and then leaving for more. NIL in its purity wasn't a horrible idea....you have businesses enter into agreements with kids for advertising, etc. and they got paid for doing so but if they left...neither party provided a benefit anymore so no big deal. Now, with the collective it seems like signing bonuses....with no real commitment from the player. How are these deals structured? Are they monthly payments to the player and if they exit before their expected term is over....the financial commitment is discontinued? It just seem like the potential for a couple of players to come in and clean out the collective and leave.
We are very strategic in our process. The contracts are all individually done with each athlete as well as payment structure. We will pay % throughout the year and most payments will happen around portals closing etc. for example we would pay someone 25% at the time of each portal closing and another 50% at the end of a season. This is just an example. If a player leaves then he doesn’t get paid. Also they are required to do other stuff in their contracts like working with our charity’s as well as other things we individually work out. We don’t intend on paying a bunch of money to players to have them just leave right after being paid and pay them to just be an athlete, we expect them to get involved in the community as well.
These users thanked the author BlueAAggie for the post (total 8):
aggies22Aggie84025EngineeringAggieflying_scotsman2.0EndoftheBenchtrevordudeAggiefan33MrBiggle

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » March 11th, 2024, 3:36 pm

Mr. Eliason, thank you, sir, for your service and probably many hours of donated time, effort and undoubtedly, personal financial sacrifice. Also, thank you for bringing first hand information to this board, it is appreciated.

Some questions:

With J Love on your BoD, any chance he works a NIL clause in his new contract? Could be seed money for an endowment.

Any chance of bringing Bobby Wagner onto the mgt team?

Can future possible coaches buyout funding be used towards endowment seed money?

Thanks again for your transparency and service.
These users thanked the author AngusAg for the post:
aggies22

BlueAAggie

Post by BlueAAggie » March 11th, 2024, 8:02 pm

AngusAg wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 3:36 pm
Mr. Eliason, thank you, sir, for your service and probably many hours of donated time, effort and undoubtedly, personal financial sacrifice. Also, thank you for bringing first hand information to this board, it is appreciated.

Some questions:

With J Love on your BoD, any chance he works a NIL clause in his new contract? Could be seed money for an endowment.

Any chance of bringing Bobby Wagner onto the mgt team?

Can future possible coaches buyout funding be used towards endowment seed money?

Thanks again for your transparency and service.
The former player engagement has some work to be done on it before we start asking for money. We have to re build those relationships that have either gone stagnant or some that have soured.

As far as future coaches buyouts, like I stated earlier we have to operate independently from the university. With that said any big bump in athletics (a future large buyout paid to the university) can and will alleviate some of the fundraising dollars for athletics and those donors can be directed to us as a collective to help out as well. We are working to support athletics and not compete. Although we operate independently we are very much in contact and share the same vision and we are on the same page as we grow together to the next level.
These users thanked the author BlueAAggie for the post (total 4):
AngusAgbrossp24aggies22JefferyBaird(DJJEFFERYB)

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 13th, 2024, 6:20 pm

Is there a way to designate NIL donations for mens bball only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
JefferyBaird(DJJEFFERYB)

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 13th, 2024, 6:26 pm

scotlandog wrote:Is there a way to designate NIL donations for mens bball only?

Yes

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
JefferyBaird(DJJEFFERYB)

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 13th, 2024, 7:09 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Yes

As I go through the donation process I never see an option to designate that. What am I missing?

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 14th, 2024, 9:35 am

@ProvoAggie and @Aglicious, could we (a) get this thread pinned, and (b) maybe get a link to the collective website under one of the tabs?

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 14th, 2024, 10:21 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
March 14th, 2024, 9:35 am
@ProvoAggie and @Aglicious, could we (a) get this thread pinned, and (b) maybe get a link to the collective website under one of the tabs?
A link in the support tab would be great.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
BigBlueDart

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 14th, 2024, 1:13 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
March 14th, 2024, 9:35 am
Done & Done.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
BigBlueDart

BlueAAggie

Post by BlueAAggie » March 14th, 2024, 6:08 pm

scotlandog wrote:
March 13th, 2024, 7:09 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Yes

As I go through the donation process I never see an option to designate that. What am I missing?

We have updated the giving platform to offer option to designate funds. Thank you for the feedback and support!

https://www.zeffy.com/en-US/donation-fo ... 432f0bdcb3
These users thanked the author BlueAAggie for the post:
Aggies1888

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 15th, 2024, 9:51 am

BlueAAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
March 13th, 2024, 7:09 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Yes

We have updated the giving platform to offer option to designate funds. Thank you for the feedback and support!

https://www.zeffy.com/en-US/donation-fo ... 432f0bdcb3
Thanks!

Montana21
Has thanked: 0

Post by Montana21 » March 20th, 2024, 11:49 am

Any chance the collective is going to help women athletes?
These users thanked the author Montana21 for the post:
aggies22

BlueAAggie

Post by BlueAAggie » March 20th, 2024, 12:02 pm

Montana21 wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 11:49 am
Any chance the collective is going to help women athletes?
Yes! Currently working with volleyball and most likely to add women’s basketball soon as well
These users thanked the author BlueAAggie for the post:
aggies22

Montana21
Has thanked: 0

Post by Montana21 » March 20th, 2024, 12:32 pm

So you will choose a few athletes and give them money that was donated and the athletes who are
not chosen get to try to survive on there own

Like a woman athlete I know who is trying to get by
on $25.00 a week and a few meals from the university. Doesn’t seem right
These users thanked the author Montana21 for the post:
aggies22

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 20th, 2024, 1:45 pm

I suspect donated NIL funds would be allocated as specified by the donor. If nothing is specified, I assume the fund manager would try to maximize the returns within NIL rules. I assume “maximizing” would generally mean attracting athletes that will generate the most profit for the University. At this point men’s athletics bring in far more revenue than women’s athletics, although Caitlin Clark says hi.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
BlueAAggie

BlueAAggie

Post by BlueAAggie » March 20th, 2024, 4:43 pm

Montana21 wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 12:32 pm
So you will choose a few athletes and give them money that was donated and the athletes who are

We have a system in which we select athletes in various sports to pay, there has been a ”market value” established for athletes depending on sport, position, production, tenure, etc. I’m happy to take this offline and answer any questions you might have on this. It’s a very fluid situation and changes literally every week.

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » March 25th, 2024, 11:36 am

BlueAAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 4:43 pm
Montana21 wrote:

We have a system in which we select athletes in various sports to pay, there has been a ”market value” established for athletes depending on sport, position, production, tenure, etc. I’m happy to take this offline and answer any questions you might have on this. It’s a very fluid situation and changes literally every week.
So how do we use/improve our NIL to try and keep some our players around? Or is it just a lost cause at this point?

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 25th, 2024, 6:59 pm

Montana21 wrote:

She could go get a small student loan to pay for additional food, like most people have to do while going to college.

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » March 25th, 2024, 7:21 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 11:36 am
BlueAAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 4:43 pm
Montana21 wrote:

So how do we use/improve our NIL to try and keep some our players around? Or is it just a lost cause at this point?
We could put $1 million into the NIL solely for the men’s basketball team, and we still wouldn’t be able to retain all the players.

The coaches and players don’t care about USU anymore. The game has changed. Our program is F***ed

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

twentytwocactus

Post by twentytwocactus » March 26th, 2024, 2:35 pm

Hey Nick, I hope that we can keep mason here for the rest of his college career
These users thanked the author twentytwocactus for the post (total 3):
Section_L_Aggieaggies22usutexan

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 26th, 2024, 5:13 pm

Dwigt wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 7:21 pm
We could put $1 million into the NIL solely for the men’s basketball team, and we still wouldn’t be able to retain all the players.

The coaches and players don’t care about USU anymore. The game has changed. Our program is F***ed
I'd argue nobody has been as successful in the portal as we have been. I mean, we've feasted on it. Gone are the days of obscurity in a meh conference with 4-year development players and a smattering of 4-year contributors. The right coach can bring in immediate impact players and turn us around from nothing into the best season we've ever had. No long rebuilds where we take 2-4 years to become competitive again.

Maybe we won't always be so fortunate. But this new system has given us incredible coaches, incredible players, incredible season, and some big buyouts. Aggie basketball has never been in a better position than it is now.

cval

Post by cval » March 26th, 2024, 5:44 pm

Aggie Basketball has had a great few years, but where we are right now is no coach, very few players. I hope things will improve in the near future, but right now, none of us know what position we are in.

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » March 26th, 2024, 9:02 pm

NIL might get Bobby back, but the damage was done after years and years of money grabbing ADs
These users thanked the author garyismyhomeboy for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

GaryTakeTheWheel

Post by GaryTakeTheWheel » March 26th, 2024, 9:55 pm

I'm diverting my tithing and state taxes to USU NIL. No more accidently supporting the wrong schools.
These users thanked the author GaryTakeTheWheel for the post (total 2):
aggies22JefferyBaird(DJJEFFERYB)

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 27th, 2024, 8:00 pm

CC: @BlueAAggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 27th, 2024, 8:04 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 8:00 pm

And according to one of the responses that idea is banned by NCAA rules.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 27th, 2024, 8:21 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 8:04 pm
Aggie702 wrote:

Lol I tried to help 😂😂. Thanks for follow up
Info

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 27th, 2024, 8:31 pm

Do you think the NCAA could enforce that location restriction in court?

Not sent from Tapatalk

cval

Post by cval » March 27th, 2024, 8:31 pm

I think I read here that our collective makes the payment at certain dates based on the portal closing. Would this not be precluded by the rule?

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 29th, 2024, 9:23 pm

With our new coach figured out, and rumors of keeping our team intact. Let’s get these kids paid! These kids have accomplished something already for us and if they stick around we need to make it worth it.

We need to flood the collective with donations! Admins, can we start a donation marathon in conjunction with the collective? We can enter a code when we donate and that can be reported back to USUFans during the event. That would be awesome!

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 30th, 2024, 12:27 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 8:04 pm
Aggie702 wrote:

There is no more rules. NCAA can’t say a thing.

Technically Collectives are against ncaa rules, technically using nil to recruit players is against ncaa rules. They can’t do a damn thing about it.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 30th, 2024, 12:35 pm

Just spit balling ideas here, but Has there been any work discussions with businesses cache valley to do a “Round up to support Utah State Student Athletes” a la what Panda Express or other fast food chains do?

I imagine every penny here or there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic