Sprinkle's (possible) replacements

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Intermeddler

Re: Sprinkle's (possible) replacements

Post by Intermeddler » March 26th, 2024, 9:49 pm

2004AG wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:44 pm
Anybody care to share what problems there were with the transition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The housing thing is one. The others I’ve been asked not to communicate. Sorry. It’s nothing nefarious or anything just things that made the job seem different than what it turned out to be.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 26th, 2024, 9:54 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:49 pm
2004AG wrote:

The housing thing is one. The others I’ve been asked not to communicate. Sorry. It’s nothing nefarious or anything just things that made the job seem different than what it turned out to be.
I get it. When I interviewed up here in Twin Falls the HR lady put us up in the dumpiest hotel. It was a really bad first impression and despite accepting the job it bothered me for years until that same HR lady died in a car accident.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
trevordude

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 26th, 2024, 10:02 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:54 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I get it. When I interviewed up here in Twin Falls the HR lady put us up in the dumpiest hotel. It was a really bad first impression and despite accepting the job it bothered me for years until that same HR lady died in a car accident.
😳

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 26th, 2024, 10:05 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:48 pm
greggers1868 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:39 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:29 pm
greggers1868 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:27 pm
I’ve seen enough. Josh Schertz or bust. We need to at least make the call. Someone said earlier he’s rumored at saint louis, but our conference just put six teams in the tourney. Can’t even tell you what conference at Louis plays in without googling it.
Saint Louis is going to pay him way more more than we afford. That’s a luxury of not having a football program to pay for.
I saw you say St. Louis last coach got 2.5 mil. So on initial contract he would get something similar. We pay him let’s say 1.75, which wouldn’t be totally out of line as we offered sprinkle 2 mil to stay. He basically guaranteed to win in Logan, based on our history the past 30 years. St. Louis is a total rebuild, and doesn’t have the same success rate and one bid conference. You make the tourney a few times at usu and get a big $4 mil payday. Just saying, it’s worth the conversation
I hear you on this. USU is a better job. And the transfers he could bring in make him worth every penny. However, Saint Louis is only 2 1/2 hours away from Terre Haute, IN where he lives now. It wouldn't be a culture shock and is still near all his network.

This board also loves to talk cost of living. Saint Louis is significantly less than Logan. For those reasons and that Saint Louis is so much closer to "home" for him and everything his family knows, I have to think he would take that job.
Schertz is even being mentioned as a candidate for Louisville. We aren't getting him.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 26th, 2024, 10:07 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:

South side of town as you head out to filer?

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 26th, 2024, 10:08 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:05 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:48 pm
greggers1868 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:39 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:29 pm
greggers1868 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:27 pm
I’ve seen enough. Josh Schertz or bust. We need to at least make the call. Someone said earlier he’s rumored at saint louis, but our conference just put six teams in the tourney. Can’t even tell you what conference at Louis plays in without googling it.
Saint Louis is going to pay him way more more than we afford. That’s a luxury of not having a football program to pay for.
I saw you say St. Louis last coach got 2.5 mil. So on initial contract he would get something similar. We pay him let’s say 1.75, which wouldn’t be totally out of line as we offered sprinkle 2 mil to stay. He basically guaranteed to win in Logan, based on our history the past 30 years. St. Louis is a total rebuild, and doesn’t have the same success rate and one bid conference. You make the tourney a few times at usu and get a big $4 mil payday. Just saying, it’s worth the conversation
I hear you on this. USU is a better job. And the transfers he could bring in make him worth every penny. However, Saint Louis is only 2 1/2 hours away from Terre Haute, IN where he lives now. It wouldn't be a culture shock and is still near all his network.

This board also loves to talk cost of living. Saint Louis is significantly less than Logan. For those reasons and that Saint Louis is so much closer to "home" for him and everything his family knows, I have to think he would take that job.
Schertz is even being mentioned as a candidate for Louisville. We aren't getting him.
Louisville can only hire one guy

ImportAggie

Post by ImportAggie » March 26th, 2024, 10:13 pm

Any word or chance we have an offer out to any of those coaches yet? Who would get first offer? When will the analysis speculation (although its fun) get an answer?

Honestly, a lot of good names. I feel like top 3 likelihood we’re seeing on the board from insiders are most likely are Tod K, Simon, and Andy (or…?). They all have pros and cons that have been discussed ad nauseam.

I just want a decision so they exciting stuff Can begin. Portal (both ways), intro press conferences, etc. real analysis can begin!!!
These users thanked the author ImportAggie for the post:
PGaggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 26th, 2024, 10:31 pm

2004AG wrote:

Agreed I would love to hear how terrible this move supposedly was for Danny and his assistants. Danny got a huge raise as well as his assistants so I'm confused on why it was so terrible for him.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 26th, 2024, 11:06 pm

2004AG wrote:

Somewhere it was reported that Bovee didn't provide Sprinkle or his assistants with any kind of transitional housing or relocation assistance. He just gave them a couple nights in a hotel room and said, "Good luck."

To be clear, I am just repeating what was posted on this board. I have no firsthand knowledge about the veracity of this information. And, assuming it is true, I have no idea what type of assistance Bovee was even allowed to offer as an interim AD with a lame duck president. I don't want to attack a guy based on message boards rumors. All I can say is that if this is true, I hope it doesn't happen again with our next coach.

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » March 26th, 2024, 11:24 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:31 pm
2004AG wrote:

Agreed I would love to hear how terrible this move supposedly was for Danny and his assistants. Danny got a huge raise as well as his assistants so I'm confused on why it was so terrible for him.
Don't expect an actual answer.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 27th, 2024, 5:31 am

shoresy wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 9:03 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
shoresy wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:54 am
rAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 1:37 am
The "I'd rather Bovee make the hire than Sabau" stuff here is comical.

Under Bovee's watch, we hired a coaching staff and gave them five nights in a hotel and a good luck. Now we have an actual professional athletics director in place who is turning this into a modern D1 program that will treat people properly and not be amateur hour.

I don't know where it is on the list of challenges that this outgoing coaching staff had with USU, but things got off to a rocky start when proper temporary housing wasn't provided to the coaches.
It's clear that you have a personal issue with Bovee, but THIS is comical. Danny is leaving to take millions of dollars at the program his dad coached at. Not because they spent a few nights in a hotel.

Jerry has had an incredible track record hiring coaches, including one who is likely going to be named national Coach of the Year. Diana is a professional, and yes, is very capable of making big decisions. But she's never made a coaching hire bigger than the women's hockey coach at Ohio State. I very much would rather have Bovee leading the search. And that's no shot at Sabau.
Maybe if Bovee doesn't treat him like (I can't express myself without swearing) beginning on Day One, Sprinkles falls in love Cache Valley and USU administration.
Please detail for me the ways Jerry treated Danny like (I can't express myself without swearing), since you seem to be in the know
It's in the comment you replied to.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » March 27th, 2024, 10:02 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:

These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggiehipsterdoofus21

Rawbirds

Post by Rawbirds » March 27th, 2024, 10:19 am

Looks like it's official, Pat Kelsey to Louisville

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » March 27th, 2024, 11:11 am

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 27th, 2024, 11:22 am

Huddleclubber wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 7:12 pm
Todd Simon was an assistant to Dave Rice at UNLV so that dynamic won't happen.
Dave Rice as a top assistant and recruiting coordinator would be solid, imo. As a head coach, not so much.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 27th, 2024, 11:27 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 7:22 pm
shoresy wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 10:54 am
rAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 1:37 am
The "I'd rather Bovee make the hire than Sabau" stuff here is comical.

Under Bovee's watch, we hired a coaching staff and gave them five nights in a hotel and a good luck. Now we have an actual professional athletics director in place who is turning this into a modern D1 program that will treat people properly and not be amateur hour.

I don't know where it is on the list of challenges that this outgoing coaching staff had with USU, but things got off to a rocky start when proper temporary housing wasn't provided to the coaches.
It's clear that you have a personal issue with Bovee, but THIS is comical. Danny is leaving to take millions of dollars at the program his dad coached at. Not because they spent a few nights in a hotel.

Jerry has had an incredible track record hiring coaches, including one who is likely going to be named national Coach of the Year. Diana is a professional, and yes, is very capable of making big decisions. But she's never made a coaching hire bigger than the women's hockey coach at Ohio State. I very much would rather have Bovee leading the search. And that's no shot at Sabau.
Maybe if Bovee doesn't treat him like (I can't express myself without swearing) beginning on Day One, Sprinkles falls in love Cache Valley and USU administration.
Let's be real here: No amount of love for CV and USU is going to stop him from taking the job at UW.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 27th, 2024, 11:29 am

Rabidchild wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:22 am
Huddleclubber wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 7:12 pm
Todd Simon was an assistant to Dave Rice at UNLV so that dynamic won't happen.
Dave Rice as a top assistant and recruiting coordinator would be solid, imo. As a head coach, not so much.
After he was fired from UNLV, he was an assistant to Muss in Reno for a few years. When Muss left for Arkansas, Rice was an assistant at Washington with Hopkins for a few years. He left in 2021. Unknown if he was forced out to shake things up or done voluntarily. He's currently an assistant at Cal Baptist. He could be done on the mid/high major coaching circuit and happy back in Cali being an assistant coach for a small school.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post:
Rabidchild

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 27th, 2024, 11:47 am

I’m tired of the language of losers.
After seeing how things panned out with Odom, it’s crystal clear he just didn’t get how hardcore the MWC is. It was all over his recruiting game. He didn’t push us where we needed to go. Danny saw it, but that’s history now.
We’re on the lookout for a real game changer now, someone who breathes the West and dreams as big as we do. Why can’t we be sitting pretty where Gonzaga is? With Mark Few getting older, there’s a seat at the top waiting for us but we need to take it, nobody is going to give it to us. I’m not talking about a one-hit wonder; I mean becoming the team that sets the bar, leaving teams like San Diego State, Washington, and yep, Gonzaga, playing catch-up.
I’m telling you; Utah State’s got the magic. We’ve got this unique vibe and passion for the game that sets us apart. Our next coach needs to come in with that big vision in their head, not thinking about their next gig after pulling off a miracle season. That happened to Sprinkle which was followed up by that 40-point smackdown by Purdue. 40 points!!! That’s a no-go. You bail mentally in the NCAAs, and you never break through. We made all that progress just to leave embarrassed cause a guy was looking at stars. Few doesn't do that, never did.
If it means dropping $3 million to make this happen, then it’s a no-brainer. We might need a coach from the Big time to come to us instead of going to smaller institutions. We’re talking about more than just winning games; we’re talking about setting a whole new level of greatness. We gotta be the team that makes others worry we’ll snatch their coach. Thinking small, settling for just a good coach for just a year or two, that’s just selling ourselves short. Enough of that.
Who’s with me? Let’s find that coach who can take us to the top and not just for a quick visit. No settling. Let’s keep our stars like Osobor and go all in. This is the mindset we need. Anything less? That’s just playing to lose.
“Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.” -Josey Wales
Time to hold on to our players, grab that coach, and really become who we are meant to be. For starters, I want Painter as the coach, who do you want?
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
vegasaggie

#hornsup!

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » March 27th, 2024, 11:57 am

Nice speach.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 27th, 2024, 12:36 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:47 am
After seeing how things panned out with Odom, it’s crystal clear he just didn’t get how hardcore the MWC is. It was all over his recruiting game. He didn’t push us where we needed to go. Danny saw it, but that’s history now.
We’re on the lookout for a real game changer now, someone who breathes the West and dreams as big as we do. Why can’t we be sitting pretty where Gonzaga is? With Mark Few getting older, there’s a seat at the top waiting for us but we need to take it, nobody is going to give it to us. I’m not talking about a one-hit wonder; I mean becoming the team that sets the bar, leaving teams like San Diego State, Washington, and yep, Gonzaga, playing catch-up.
I’m telling you; Utah State’s got the magic. We’ve got this unique vibe and passion for the game that sets us apart. Our next coach needs to come in with that big vision in their head, not thinking about their next gig after pulling off a miracle season. That happened to Sprinkle which was followed up by that 40-point smackdown by Purdue. 40 points!!! That’s a no-go. You bail mentally in the NCAAs, and you never break through. We made all that progress just to leave embarrassed cause a guy was looking at stars. Few doesn't do that, never did.
If it means dropping $3 million to make this happen, then it’s a no-brainer. We might need a coach from the Big time to come to us instead of going to smaller institutions. We’re talking about more than just winning games; we’re talking about setting a whole new level of greatness. We gotta be the team that makes others worry we’ll snatch their coach. Thinking small, settling for just a good coach for just a year or two, that’s just selling ourselves short. Enough of that.
Who’s with me? Let’s find that coach who can take us to the top and not just for a quick visit. No settling. Let’s keep our stars like Osobor and go all in. This is the mindset we need. Anything less? That’s just playing to lose.
“Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.” -Josey Wales
Time to hold on to our players, grab that coach, and really become who we are meant to be. For starters, I want Painter as the coach, who do you want?
One thing that I love about USU us that we always punch above our weight class and make no excuses despite having some major disadvantages. Even when fellow in-state schools consistently try to shove us down, we find ways to succeed in all sports. It's that scrappy, lunch pale, go-f*ck yourself mentality that keeps me engaged as an Aggie fan.

I'd much rather be us than a San Jose State (who doesn't even try) or a Nebraska (who basically sh*t away money). Keep pushing and growing, we'll get a seat at the big table one day.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 3):
trevordudeTrueAggiemanvegasaggie

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 27th, 2024, 12:39 pm

The "go (I can't express myself without swearing) yourself" mentality, I feel that as an Aggie.

Not sent from Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 27th, 2024, 12:54 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:07 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:

On a country road in Wendell.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 27th, 2024, 12:56 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 10:02 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:

In hindsight I think I must been channeling Michael Scott when I posted that.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » March 27th, 2024, 12:59 pm

One thing that I love about USU us that we always punch above our weight class and make no excuses despite having some major disadvantages. Even when fellow in-state schools consistently try to shove us down, we find ways to succeed in all sports. It's that scrappy, lunch pale, go-f*ck yourself mentality that keeps me engaged as an Aggie fan.

This is the best way I have heard the success at Utah State described. Lower budget, lower population, less boosters, no airport, "third fiddle" in our state... WE DON'T GIVE A S***

We'll still compete and win championships. There's something magical that doesn't make much sense. I love it.
These users thanked the author TrueAggieman for the post (total 3):
OrangeCountyAggieMrBiggleAggieFBObsession

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 27th, 2024, 12:59 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:47 am
Sounds good. In today's college athletics all it takes is wheelbarrows of $$$ and the dream can be had. Paying a coach $3M is fine but it won't stop them from leaving to make $6M from the guy with deeper pockets. Paying rotation players 200k-500k each/yr. sounds wonderful but it won't stop them from leaving the very next year for the school that will pay them an extra 100k.

Even if we had the money, it is not enough to ensure stability or make coaches and players stay. There will always be someone with a bigger budget and bigger and more boosters.

What we can offer is what can't be bought. A huge home court advantage with a crazy atmosphere, a place with decades of success spanning across multiple conferences, and a beautiful place to live (if the mountains and outdoor activities are your thing).
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 4):
Aggie84025NEAggieMrBiggleAggieFBObsession

cval

Post by cval » March 27th, 2024, 1:38 pm

Right. If we increase ours to Three, they will make theirs Six. It’s an arms race that we can never win.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
NEAggie

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » March 27th, 2024, 2:34 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

jackattack

Post by jackattack » March 27th, 2024, 2:43 pm

cval wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 1:38 pm
Right. If we increase ours to Three, they will make theirs Six. It’s an arms race that we can never win.
Which is what Laub was saying in that article, in regards to NIL funds. It’s not only about playing our players, it’s about players using schools against each other to try and get higher bids for their services. Whoever bids the highest wins the player. From what I gathered, we’re not in a position to do that, nor do I think it’s a good strategy long term. And if that is the case, I appreciate the University’s stance.
These users thanked the author jackattack for the post:
ImportAggie

jackattack

Post by jackattack » March 27th, 2024, 2:45 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Pretty dark, hipster. Pretty… pretty… dark.

apo

Post by apo » March 27th, 2024, 6:31 pm

Im growing increasingly concerned I’m not under consideration for the job. No one has contacted me.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 27th, 2024, 6:42 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 12:54 pm
slcagg wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:07 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:

On a country road in Wendell.
Oh Wendell? Wendell? Really????
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 27th, 2024, 9:14 pm

https://x.com/hoopsweiss/status/1773164 ... 97965?s=46

Dick Weiss saying Todd Simon is the leader. rAggie is saying it’s Hill.

Hmmm.

I think a contingent of Aggie fans is gonna flip no matter who it is. There’s zero consensus around a candidate this year.

I would be fine with just about any of the options I’ve heard.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
trevordude

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 27th, 2024, 9:27 pm

I will say, I’m not optimistic on how good we’d be next season with Todd Simon. I doubt he’ll be able to retain most of our players, and there’s not a single player on his roster that gets me excited that could follow him here.

Doesn’t feel like a recipe to be very good next year, but hopefully he’s here for a while if it’s him.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
trevordude

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » March 27th, 2024, 9:37 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 9:14 pm
https://x.com/hoopsweiss/status/1773164 ... 97965?s=46

Dick Weiss saying Todd Simon is the leader. rAggie is saying it’s Hill.

Hmmm.

I think a contingent of Aggie fans is gonna flip no matter who it is. There’s zero consensus around a candidate this year.

I would be fine with just about any of the options I’ve heard.
I'm no expert but I'd happily take either

Attorney General
Has thanked: 0

Post by Attorney General » March 28th, 2024, 5:04 am

Is Toledo's coach all but out of the picture? Is it partially because he is even more interested in the Fresno State job?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic