Does our ICONIC home Crowd Hurt us

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieSox

Does our ICONIC home Crowd Hurt us

Post by AggieSox » February 9th, 2023, 9:52 pm

After the SDSU game, I dont want to blame refs for loss, but look at the wacky situations that we have seen this year. Is it just me or is this a odd year w/ Refs? Again I get refs blow some calls & make mistakes. It seems like the reffing crews come in with an agenda and game plan on how to call things.

Examples-
1. SDSU 1st half, just allowed players to have hands all over in 1st half, hip checks, hack, then players have to protect themselves and foul back and that led to losing their emotions. The refs came in saying we are going to let them play and then emotions of the refs, players, and coaches got out of hand. Again the reffing led to this.
2. SJSU Game- The Red head ref was a total drama queen all night. And from the tip was in a weird form.
3. Do Ref's come in saying this crowd will be very loud and jaded toward home team so dont give into the crowd?
4. Or have teams identified we are very soft and said just be physical and take it to them and make the refs call something knowing we are soft and will back down or we cant play physical.
5. Ref's tend to almost love or hate the spectrum and it's always amazing to see how they react to crowd and the great chants like "REF U Suck".

GameFAQSAggie

Re: Does our ICONIC home Crowd Hurt us

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 9th, 2023, 10:04 pm

I posted this elsewhere, but maybe refs actually try to get blacklisted from ever calling a game in Logan again cause of hating the hour and half drive to Logan after landing in Salt Lake, which could be longer if the roads are bad in the winter, especially in rental cars with poor tires like the companies are notorious for issuing.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
AggieSox

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 9th, 2023, 10:05 pm

I have been wondering if the noise throws the ref off his game the same way it throws the players off sometimes.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » February 9th, 2023, 10:10 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 9th, 2023, 10:04 pm
I posted this elsewhere, but maybe refs actually try to get blacklisted from ever calling a game in Logan again cause of hating the hour and half drive to Logan after landing in Salt Lake, which could be longer if the roads are bad in the winter, especially in rental cars with poor tires like the companies are notorious for issuing.
Valid point. Then they drive back after game too? I'm guessing 90% of P5 schools are 30-45 from airport, but also would guess some schools in big cities are a nightmare too?

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » February 9th, 2023, 10:17 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
February 9th, 2023, 10:05 pm
I have been wondering if the noise throws the ref off his game the same way it throws the players off sometimes.
Had the same thought. Just seems like Ref's come in with an agenda. Most of them ref at big venues and have been to spectrum before. it makes me think they are coached by someone to be ready and dont get influenced and they call a messed up game that is sometimes in our favor and sometimes not. But it's hard to watch at times.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 10th, 2023, 5:11 am

Teams come in extra physical because right now, the top teams in the conference are extra physical by nature. While we are in the top quarter of the league, we are the least physical of them.

Physical teams come out right away and see what they can get away with. Every good team has tried to push us around and only recently have we pushed back, beginning with the second half at SDSU two weeks ago.

The scuffle late in the first half the other night actually helped us as the officials started calling the game tighter.

The rowdy fans get our team jacked up and gets in the head of the opposition (see:UNR) and I think many officials enjoy or at least revel in the intensity. Who wants to officiate a game in front of 2500 half-asleep fans on a Wednesday night in the first week of February?
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » February 10th, 2023, 6:36 am

If I remember correctly, Reggie Theus got a kick out of our student section when we did the look-a-like contest a while back.

I wish there was a way we could do something similar for the refs every game. It could be beneficial psychologically for the refs have a pleasant interaction with the students prior to the game, and possibly make them not dread coming to Logan as much as people imply they do.

Ask them to sign a ref jersey before the game, bring it back for multiple games to get all the refs to sign it.

Have a Forget Paris night where students have pictures of Billy Crystal as a NBA ref.

Have a pre game snack station for them.

Maybe it would help.
These users thanked the author Dwigt for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowaFloridaAggie13

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » February 10th, 2023, 7:15 am

Dwigt wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 6:36 am
If I remember correctly, Reggie Theus got a kick out of our student section when we did the look-a-like contest a while back.

I wish there was a way we could do something similar for the refs every game. It could be beneficial psychologically for the refs have a pleasant interaction with the students prior to the game, and possibly make them not dread coming to Logan as much as people imply they do.

Ask them to sign a ref jersey before the game, bring it back for multiple games to get all the refs to sign it.

Have a Forget Paris night where students have pictures of Billy Crystal as a NBA ref.

Maybe it would help.
Not sure a snack station would be allowed, it may appear we are trying to buy them off with some Crumbl cookies or something. But maybe we could offer complimentary eye and hearing exams. :pirate:
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
FloridaAggie13

dogie

Post by dogie » February 10th, 2023, 7:48 am

Although more fouls could have been called, the foul count was 21 on SDSU and 14 on USU. The Aggies turned it over only ten times and a few of those were just sloppy play on part of USU.

But it was a highly unusual game from an officiating standpoint.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13AggieSox

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » February 10th, 2023, 9:48 am

Dwigt wrote: If I remember correctly, Reggie Theus got a kick out of our student section when we did the look-a-like contest a while back.

Maybe it would help.
How long has it been since the ref’s locker room has been remodeled? And does it have all the posh amenities? Maybe they need to be expanded to include a bit of a spa feel: :joking: :lol:
Last edited by nswaggie on February 10th, 2023, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » February 10th, 2023, 9:50 am

nswaggie wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 9:48 am
Dwigt wrote: If I remember correctly, Reggie Theus got a kick out of our student section when we did the look-a-like contest a while back.

Maybe it would help.
How long has it been since the ref’s locker room has been remodeled? And does it have all the posh amenities? Maybe they need to be expanded to include a bit of a spa feel:joking:
Is it still painted pink?

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » February 10th, 2023, 9:54 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 9:50 am
nswaggie wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 9:48 am

Maybe it would help.
How long has it been since the ref’s locker room has been remodeled? And does it have all the posh amenities? Maybe they need to be expanded to include a bit of a spa feel:joking:
Is it still painted pink?
Maybe their ticked off at USU the minute they walk into their locker room. I mean you make the long drive get to the Spectrum and enter a pink locker room?

ericsil7

Post by ericsil7 » February 10th, 2023, 10:17 am

Mark Zeigler had an article in the San Diego paper talking about the game, his third point he brought up was about the referees schedules, referees are independent contractors and basically try to get in as much work as possible here's what he said about the refs from the other night
Higgins was working his 68th game since the season started Nov. 7. He was at Nevada-New Mexico the night before in Albuquerque. And Penn State at Nebraska two nights before that. And Oklahoma at West Virginia the night before that. It was his 13th game in 16 days in 12 states in five conferences across four time zones. (Fun fact: SDSU is 5-0 this season and 17-1 in its last 18 games with Higgins.)

Reed was working his 56th game this season and sixth in eight days in five states in four conferences. Harris’ schedule is the least crazy, but he’s gone from Laramie, Wyo., to Tempe, Ariz., to Moraga (for Gonzaga-Saint Mary’s) to Logan in the previous eight days.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... s-referees

I think that this may be a major part of the officiating that we're seeing. That schedule is impossible for a human to do and not have it effect job performance

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » February 10th, 2023, 11:35 am

Watching the game my wife asked me why the officials were taking so long to make a decision after the scuffle. I told her the officials were waiting to find out how many security guards were on the floor before they announced their decision.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
Aggie-Man

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » February 10th, 2023, 12:05 pm

Wow
Higgins was working his 68th game since the season started Nov. 7. He was at Nevada-New Mexico the night before in Albuquerque. And Penn State at Nebraska two nights before that. And Oklahoma at West Virginia the night before that. It was his 13th game in 16 days in 12 states in five conferences across four time zones. (Fun fact: SDSU is 5-0 this season and 17-1 in its last 18 games with Higgins.)

Reed was working his 56th game this season and sixth in eight days in five states in four conferences. Harris’ schedule is the least crazy, but he’s gone from Laramie, Wyo., to Tempe, Ariz., to Moraga (for Gonzaga-Saint Mary’s) to Logan in the previous eight days.

That is some serious scheduling. I would have OSHA on my case if I worked an employee even half that much. There has to be some exhaustion and frazzled nerves. Do they have a organization that works out all of their travel and hotel stuff? That alone would be exhausting.
These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » February 10th, 2023, 12:43 pm

bwcrc wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 7:15 am
Dwigt wrote:

Maybe it would help.
Not sure a snack station would be allowed, it may appear we are trying to buy them off with some Crumbl cookies or something. But maybe we could offer complimentary eye and hearing exams. :pirate:
Maybe play into it with a sign that says “bribes for refs” with a bunch of Bed Bath & Beyond coupons stapled to it.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

DreadPirateRoberts

Post by DreadPirateRoberts » February 10th, 2023, 1:38 pm

bwcrc wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 7:15 am
Dwigt wrote:

Maybe it would help.
I know an audiologist alumnus that would most likely be up to offer a free hearing test.

The Dread Pirate Roberts leaves no survivors.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » February 10th, 2023, 1:40 pm

Wow

That is some serious scheduling. I would have OSHA on my case if I worked an employee even half that much. There has to be some exhaustion and frazzled nerves. Do they have a organization that works out all of their travel and hotel stuff? That alone would be exhausting.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » February 10th, 2023, 7:14 pm

El Sapo wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 11:35 am
Watching the game my wife asked me why the officials were taking so long to make a decision after the scuffle. I told her the officials were waiting to find out how many security guards were on the floor before they announced their decision.
You were right. ;)

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » February 10th, 2023, 10:15 pm

WAAggie wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 1:40 pm
Wow

doesn't seem that outrageous -68 of the 93 days between Nov 7 and Feb 8 is 73% -right at 5 days out of 7. Definitely more intense over the last couple weeks but even then, working 13 out of 16 days isn't very uncommon -tomorrow when I go to work I will have been there 13 of last 16.
The daily travel and different time zone each night would be the push over the edge though.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » February 11th, 2023, 10:45 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 10:15 pm
WAAggie wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 1:40 pm
Wow

doesn't seem that outrageous -68 of the 93 days between Nov 7 and Feb 8 is 73% -right at 5 days out of 7. Definitely more intense over the last couple weeks but even then, working 13 out of 16 days isn't very uncommon -tomorrow when I go to work I will have been there 13 of last 16.
The daily travel and different time zone each night would be the push over the edge though.
Do you sit in a chair or do you run up and down a basketball court??
I have a coworker who refs about 3 high school games a week and by this time of year he starts looking pretty rough.
But I admit I don’t have a good solution to the problem.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » February 11th, 2023, 1:02 pm

9 hours work day vs 3 hours working. I think it evens out pretty good considering travel.

Drillers work a minimum of 12 hours and are always on the road and very physically demanding. Year round. Not just basketball season.

Reffing sounds like a good gig.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 11th, 2023, 6:36 pm

This sounds a bit like people who are like “in single because people can’t handle how amazing I am”

Locked Previous topicNext topic