Any official word on Rylan Jones?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Coloraggie

Any official word on Rylan Jones?

Post by Coloraggie » January 26th, 2023, 5:29 pm

Hoping to hear if he will play again this year.

The fan side of me wants him to play because we need to be able to give Ashworth a rest for him to be the most productive.

The human side of me hopes he retires and keeps his brain intact for the rest of his life.

BobWilson

Re: Any official word on Rylan Jones?

Post by BobWilson » January 26th, 2023, 10:23 pm

Ashworth has done a good job in his new role, but his scoring has suffered for sure. He needs to play the off guard more and get a bit more rest.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » January 27th, 2023, 8:03 am

BobWilson wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 10:23 pm
Ashworth has done a good job in his new role, but his scoring has suffered for sure. He needs to play the off guard more and get a bit more rest.
100%. Or even just giving Ashworth more minutes to rest. He's playing 35+ minutes with primary ball handling duties. We need Jones to make a push for a possible tournament birth, even if it's just for those reasons alone for Ashworth.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » January 27th, 2023, 8:25 am

Even if Rylan doesnt put up great stats, allowing Ashworth to play off the ball makes us much more effective and a lot harder to guard. Hope he takes care of himself first and foremost but would love him back.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » January 27th, 2023, 9:11 am

I have always been a big fan of Jones and Ashworth playing together, but they only shared the court 5-8 minutes per game and that lineup is tough to play against all the big backcourts in the MWC. Most of Ashworth's hot stretches came with Jones on the bench, so, I don't think you need to play Ashworth off-ball to "unlock" his scoring, but he does need to rest more. His workload is too much right now.

If Rylan is out for the year, Shulga becomes even more important. He has got to be steadier with the ball so Odom can find some time to rest Ashworth. He's the only guy that can do it.
These users thanked the author MarioWest for the post:
MrBiggle

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 27th, 2023, 10:27 am

I'm hoping to hear he won't play again this year.
I like his grit - but I'm not convinced we're better with him. We might be better on offense, but on defense we lack positional size and athleticism. We can't get stops on decent teams that have those when those two are on the floor together.

Considering that, and his head is waiting for a stiff breeze to KO him, I'd rather he didn't play.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 27th, 2023, 10:45 am

brownjeans wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 10:27 am
I'm hoping to hear he won't play again this year.
I like his grit - but I'm not convinced we're better with him. We might be better on offense, but on defense we lack positional size and athleticism. We can't get stops on decent teams that have those when those two are on the floor together.

Considering that, and his head is waiting for a stiff breeze to KO him, I'd rather he didn't play.
Our defense hasn't been great with or without Rylan. Rylan did cause multiple turnovers per game drawing charges, and could often come up with steals, but he was undersized. And I don't want him drawing any more charges given the results multiple times this year. Not worth risking it.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 27th, 2023, 10:50 am

I'm not a big Rylan Jones fan, but I have seen the value he is to the team this year. Ashworth hasn't been the same scorer since being required to carry the load left by Rylan's absence. It has changed the dynamic of the team. We don't have anyone on the bench to take that space.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
utaggies

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 27th, 2023, 11:27 am

With four very offensive minded players in Funk, Ashworth, Shulga and Bairstow, it is important our PG have that classic PG mentality of running an offense, passing first and looking for his own shot only when it is in the flow of the offense. Especially with only one other player, Ashworth, who can effectively handle the ball.

That's what Rylan has done so well.

If our two guard was a Marco Anthony type - all defense, and very little offense, we would need a more offensive minded PG.

I love watching him play - those are my favorite type of PG's - but I hope whatever decision is made is based solely on his long-term health and the risks entailed.
Last edited by FloridaAggie13 on January 27th, 2023, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 4):
utaggiesAggie in BoisePacobagReal Life Aggie

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » January 27th, 2023, 1:40 pm

For those that want Ashworth playing off of the ball more (generally agreed), who would you rather have handling the ball instead of Ashworth?

Good luck convincing me of a single soul on our roster that could reliably do it.

I say we unleash Point Zapala.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » January 27th, 2023, 2:00 pm

918AGG wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 1:40 pm
For those that want Ashworth playing off of the ball more (generally agreed), who would you rather have handling the ball instead of Ashworth?

Good luck convincing me of a single soul on our roster that could reliably do it.

For me I’d just like to see someone else bring the ball up after a made basket rather than Ashworth. Other teams are making him work to brink the ball up just to wear him down.
I actually liked the few times Bairstow did it against SDSU. I’m no expert but it doesn’t seem to matter in our offense who initiates it, seems once it starts to flow the guard positions are fluid and there really isn’t a specific guard position handling any more than the others.

Bairstow got a little more involved and had a good game against SDSU. Don’t get me wrong too much should not be asked of Bairstow, but I like him bringing the ball up after a made basket depending on the match up of course. I think Shulga is wearing down as well and that is contributing to his turnovers.

Ashworth can get a little more rest if someone else brings the ball up.
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post:
Aggie-Man

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 27th, 2023, 2:52 pm

If it is just bringing the ball up the court I wonder is we go back to the days of our 4 bringing the ball up occasionally (ala Tai Wesley back in the day)? Akin dribbled up the court once in that game and looked pretty natural doing it. You know most guys guarding him aren't going to pressure him in that scenario. Tai did this for years to relieve that full court or 3/4 pressure on our PG's.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » January 27th, 2023, 3:01 pm

Aglicious wrote:If it is just bringing the ball up the court I wonder is we go back to the days of our 4 bringing the ball up occasionally (ala Tai Wesley back in the day)? Akin dribbled up the court once in that game and looked pretty natural doing it. You know most guys guarding him aren't going to pressure him in that scenario. Tai did this for years to relieve that full court or 3/4 pressure on our PG's.
Damn I loved me some Tai Wesley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 27th, 2023, 3:16 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 3:01 pm
Aglicious wrote:If it is just bringing the ball up the court I wonder is we go back to the days of our 4 bringing the ball up occasionally (ala Tai Wesley back in the day)? Akin dribbled up the court once in that game and looked pretty natural doing it. You know most guys guarding him aren't going to pressure him in that scenario. Tai did this for years to relieve that full court or 3/4 pressure on our PG's.
Damn I loved me some Tai Wesley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We could really use his toughness and his post moves right now.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 27th, 2023, 3:24 pm

nswaggie wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 2:00 pm
918AGG wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 1:40 pm

For me I’d just like to see someone else bring the ball up after a made basket rather than Ashworth. Other teams are making him work to brink the ball up just to wear him down.
I actually liked the few times Bairstow did it against SDSU. I’m no expert but it doesn’t seem to matter in our offense who initiates it, seems once it starts to flow the guard positions are fluid and there really isn’t a specific guard position handling any more than the others.

Bairstow got a little more involved and had a good game against SDSU. Don’t get me wrong too much should not be asked of Bairstow, but I like him bringing the ball up after a made basket depending on the match up of course. I think Shulga is wearing down as well and that is contributing to his turnovers.

Ashworth can get a little more rest if someone else brings the ball up.
Ashworth was the only one who consistently managed the on-ball pressure effectively.

I don't think we are dead set on who brings it up the court after a rebound because the idea is to go fast and not have to wait for the PG to present himself for the outlet pass. After a made shot it matters because the defense can focus their pressure on the ball handler.

cval

Post by cval » January 27th, 2023, 5:50 pm

Spencer Nelson used to bring it up against the press as well.

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » January 29th, 2023, 12:35 am

Is it too late to pull Bernard Rock out of retirement?

Locked Previous topicNext topic