“The No Show”

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Ag4life

“The No Show”

Post by Ag4life » January 26th, 2023, 7:04 am

I was surprised to see how little the student section was at SDSU. They had a shot behind the basket and that seemed like the only student section there. Did anyone else see a wide shot that showed more? Even that shot of them looked pretty sad compared to the spectrum. A small advantage to having seats for tiny people.

It looked like it was maybe 1/5 or even less than the size of the usu student section. Although their non-students fans were better attended.
These users thanked the author Ag4life for the post:
aggies22

Aglicious
Site Admin

Re: “The No Show”

Post by Aglicious » January 26th, 2023, 8:24 am

There wasn't more than 50-60 students and they were spread out to make it look like it was a full section. I was honestly surprised about the commentators saying it was a big crowd. It looked like there were plenty of seats in every shot they showed of the crowd.

If that is what has become of The Show it is pitiful. That versus 4000k students in the Spectrum absolutely packed shoulder to shoulder is hardly a comparison anymore.

Then again, there are just not schools out there that dedicate 4000 seats to students. The Spectrum is very unique in that regard.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 4):
FloridaAggie13aggies22trevordudeZaggie07

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 26th, 2023, 8:36 am

I hope we never change that!
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 2):
aggies22hipsterdoofus21

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 26th, 2023, 8:36 am

Aglicious wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 8:24 am
There wasn't more than 50-60 students and they were spread out to make it look like it was a full section. I was honestly surprised about the commentators saying it was a big crowd. It looked like there were plenty of seats in every shot they showed of the crowd.

If that is what has become of The Show it is pitiful. That versus 4000k students in the Spectrum absolutely packed shoulder to shoulder is hardly a comparison anymore.

Then again, there are just not schools out there that dedicate 4000 seats to students. The Spectrum is very unique in that regard.
When I saw “the no show”, I thought you would be talking about the team in the first half. :bangwall:
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
QuackAttackAggieGidbob

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 26th, 2023, 8:50 am

Aglicious wrote:
I don't think anywhere could compete with 4000k students. Where would we find them all?
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
OKAggie

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 26th, 2023, 9:23 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 8:36 am
Aglicious wrote:

When I saw “the no show”, I thought you would be talking about the team in the first half. :bangwall:
And I thought the post was about RJ and Hamoda but that would have been “no shows”.

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » January 26th, 2023, 11:27 am

It was a late game, midweek, in January against an opponent many SDSU students don't care that much about (let's be honest). Still, for a solid program with a lot of recent success, it has to be discouraging to get so few students out for a conference home game.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » January 26th, 2023, 11:37 am

The commentators said how loud the crowd was at least 3 times in the first half - and the guys on the halftime show said something too
I didn't really hear anything over the broadcast.
Panned out shots of the Show section showed lots of gaps - a couple times they had a close up, and it just looked like everyone bunched up in front of the camera, but like 100 people at best. One time my wife even commented if that was the big and loud student section they had been talking about.
And really, saying that it's a late game??? it was 8pm tipoff local - is that late for a student?
Saying they dont care about US??? The Show Twitter account used to flame away about the aggies relentlessly. I wouldn't say they're apathetic about US - US "took" their tourney championships 2 years in a row
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post:
MrBiggle

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » January 26th, 2023, 12:08 pm

My brother attended the game and cheered on our Aggies. The first this he told me afterward was that The Show was lame. The Hurd has them beat by a mile.
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » January 26th, 2023, 12:17 pm

Even David James on the 1280 broadcast thought the crowd was small. He made a crack about it being late but I'm pretty sure he was joking.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

coolag

Post by coolag » January 26th, 2023, 3:54 pm

I'd rather win.

Regulator of Class

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » January 26th, 2023, 10:18 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 11:27 am
It was a late game, midweek, in January against an opponent many SDSU students don't care that much about (let's be honest). Still, for a solid program with a lot of recent success, it has to be discouraging to get so few students out for a conference home game.
People say, just win and the crowd will show up. I think this year help proves the point that for students it’s not about winning. USU has the best consistent student turn out in a while despite us not necessarily winning and SDSU couldn’t even show up for an 8:00 pm game. We had a killer turn out from the students at our last week day, late night game against a bottom of the conference team.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 27th, 2023, 7:15 am

Dkdavis wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 10:18 pm
Aggie702 wrote:
People say, just win and the crowd will show up. I think this year help proves the point that for students it’s not about winning. USU has the best consistent student turn out in a while despite us not necessarily winning and SDSU couldn’t even show up for an 8:00 pm game. We had a killer turn out from the students at our last week day, late night game against a bottom of the conference team.
16-5 isn’t winning?
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » January 27th, 2023, 8:38 am

slcagg wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 7:15 am
Dkdavis wrote:
Aggie702 wrote:
16-5 isn’t winning?
It is, but I think we had better teams during Smiths era and still didn’t get the student turn out like we are this year. I’m specifically referring to the students. The rest of the crowd hasn’t been showing up as well this year.

Edit* winning helps, I’m just trying to point out that I think there are other factors playing into attendance I just can’t put my finger on exactly what it is.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
slcagg

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 27th, 2023, 8:57 am

I saw the Sh*t Show attempted the Winning Team Losing Team chant.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » January 27th, 2023, 9:22 am

Dkdavis wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 8:38 am
slcagg wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 7:15 am
Dkdavis wrote:
Aggie702 wrote:
16-5 isn’t winning?
It is, but I think we had better teams during Smiths era and still didn’t get the student turn out like we are this year. I’m specifically referring to the students. The rest of the crowd hasn’t been showing up as well this year.

Edit* winning helps, I’m just trying to point out that I think there are other factors playing into attendance I just can’t put my finger on exactly what it is. and yes i agree 16-5 is winning!!! home games have been fun
i think the last few games the "rest" of the crowd has shown up. not sure what games you were watching, but i think you're playing off older seasons and not this one. my .02

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » January 27th, 2023, 9:54 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:I saw the Sh*t Show attempted the Winning Team Losing Team chant.
As we know hipster they like to steal our chants and trademark them as their own…even when they suck at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author breadysmith for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Locked Previous topicNext topic