Spectrum renovation?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bullnamed_gus

Spectrum renovation?

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 19th, 2023, 8:38 pm

From the KSL article with Bovee, it seems like a new stadium isn’t in the cards, (understandable), but that he’d like to see renovations done to improve the experience. What are some ideas y’all would want?

Better concessions, fix the sound system, and more comfortable seating, are mine.

I think a lot could be done.

Also, I’m assuming Reno will take a while, where would the aggies play home games for a season?
Last edited by Bullnamed_gus on January 19th, 2023, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLB

Re: Spectrum renovation?

Post by SLB » January 19th, 2023, 8:42 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 19th, 2023, 8:38 pm
From the KSL article with Bovee, it seems like a new stadium isn’t in the cards, (understandable), but that he’d like to see renovations done to improve the experience. What are some ideas y’all would want?

Better concessions, fix the sound system, and more comfortable seating, are mine.

I agree. I am too big for the seat and not fat. There are a number of Aggies that find the seats uncomfortable. We need to upgrade the TV, video, and digital stuff to help increase TV coverage of the game.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 19th, 2023, 9:10 pm

I thought the last study showed that a renovation would cost as much or more than a new arena. I would think that a renovation could be done in the off season if done right. BYU did a renovation of the Marriott Center that involved ripping out the concrete and changing the size of the rows and it didn't displace them.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

cval

Post by cval » January 19th, 2023, 9:12 pm

I wonder if that was Hartwell’s spin because he wanted a new arena for his legacy
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
AggieBlues

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 19th, 2023, 9:14 pm

It definitely wouldn’t be cheap. It depends on what the study was doing to the spectrum, they could’ve done a more extensive remodel in the study.

I honestly wouldn’t mind building it up a little higher, adding suites, keeping the seating capacity the same, or close, with more comfortable seats. I’m not an architect but it makes sense in my peanut brain

SLB

Post by SLB » January 19th, 2023, 9:44 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 19th, 2023, 9:14 pm
It definitely wouldn’t be cheap. It depends on what the study was doing to the spectrum, they could’ve done a more extensive remodel in the study.

I honestly wouldn’t mind building it up a little higher, adding suites, keeping the seating capacity the same, or close, with more comfortable seats. I’m not an architect but it makes sense in my peanut brain
I agree that we don't need a big renovation, and we do need a renovation.

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » January 19th, 2023, 10:00 pm

The sound system for sure should be first on the list.

aggietime

Post by aggietime » January 19th, 2023, 10:10 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2023, 9:10 pm
I thought the last study showed that a renovation would cost as much or more than a new arena. I would think that a renovation could be done in the off season if done right. BYU did a renovation of the Marriott Center that involved ripping out the concrete and changing the size of the rows and it didn't displace them.
I think you're right about the reno costing more, but Bovee makes great points about not wanting to move the stadium away from campus and students who create the atmosphere.

Besides the obvious Spectrum updates (better seating, concessions, bathrooms), adding a parking structure on the southeast corner of 10th North and 8th East would be high on my wishlist. Parking for football and basketball is a PITA.
These users thanked the author aggietime for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 19th, 2023, 10:16 pm

Updated seats and more leg room. This would likely drop capacity to like 8000, but it would be worth it.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 4):
LarryTheAggieJSHarveyHoottrevordude

dogie

Post by dogie » January 19th, 2023, 10:18 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:

Also, I’m assuming Reno will take a while, where would the aggies play home games for a season?
They need to upgrade their cellular service. I can’t get any sort of data on my iPhone about 80% of the time in the Spectrum, annd it’s getting worse. I’m usually just trying to see scores and statistics on ESPN.

At the Alabama football game, I was able to stream other football games in my iPhone during time outs.
Last edited by dogie on January 19th, 2023, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post:
AGinNEIowa

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 19th, 2023, 10:18 pm

aggietime wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
I think you're right about the reno costing more, but Bovee makes great points about not wanting to move the stadium away from campus and students who create the atmosphere.

Besides the obvious Spectrum updates (better seating, concessions, bathrooms), adding a parking structure on the southeast corner of 10th North and 8th East would be high on my wishlist. Parking for football and basketball is a PITA.
I don't think they ever planned to move the arena from campus. The studies showed a possible replacement on the corner of 10th North and 8th East.

I honestly don't know what would be best. Part of what makes the Spectrum loud is how compact it is. That would surely be lost with a new arena. Renovation plans looked at raising the ceiling which would also take away from that as well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
trevordude

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 19th, 2023, 10:20 pm

dogie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:

They need to upgrade their cellular service. I can’t get any sort of data on my iPhone about 80% of the time in the Soectrum, annd it’s getting worse. I’m usually just trying to see scores and statistics on ESPN.

At the Alabama football game, I was able to stream other football games in my iPhone during time outs.
Who's your carrier? I've streamed video in Spectrum this season on my Pixel using T-Mobile. It's been a lot of years since I've had trouble checking scores as well.

dogie

Post by dogie » January 19th, 2023, 10:21 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2023, 10:20 pm
dogie wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:

They need to upgrade their cellular service. I can’t get any sort of data on my iPhone about 80% of the time in the Soectrum, annd it’s getting worse. I’m usually just trying to see scores and statistics on ESPN.

Who's your carrier? I've streamed video in Spectrum this season on my Pixel using T-Mobile. It's been a lot of years since I've had trouble checking scores as well.

AT&T. I have the same problem at football games.

bpd

Post by bpd » January 19th, 2023, 10:30 pm

When I talked to JH over the summer, he said building a new arena was no longer a priority. So… I don’t know what Jerry is talking about in that article.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 19th, 2023, 11:51 pm

This only makes me want to get on with the next AD as soon as possible. I also have no idea what Bovee is talking about. The master plan study that was conducted showed the first 2 or 3 options for a new arena to be right across the street from Maverik or even adjacent to it on the upper east side with a rework of Aggie Village. This whole talk of 2 miles away from campus is bogus. And yes, the studies did show that renovating was only slightly less than new construction. I can tell you right now with the price of materials and shortage of labor that renovation is not going to come cheap even for what many people would consider minor upgrades.

The biggest problem with remodel/renovation is that once you touch anything of the magnitude we are talking, the entire facility must be brought up to current building code, including ADA standards. This is where The Spectrum fails miserably which will cause massive changes to have to be done. All seating and access aisles would need to be respaced and resized and the concourse would need to be widened. There is a good possibility that the space around the court area would need to be increased which would also lower capacity and move seats further away.

This doesn't even address the need to bring the facility into this century with bigger and/or more restrooms, concessions, locker rooms, offices, luxury seating options, sound system, etc.

I love the nostalgia of The Spectrum but honestly it is not a whole lot different than looking at that poor old press box that used to sit atop Romney Stadium for way too long. At some point you just have to come to terms that it has served its purpose and it's time to move on to something that will carry us for the next 50 years.

Getting the master plan and arena study done was the first step but JH sort of stopped there. He was never one to focus on facility upgrades or secure large private donations/funds to make them a reality so it's not a shock that it has gone nowhere since then. The Spectrum is serviceable (barely) but it won't be for much longer without a major overhaul. If keeping The Spectrum is what they decide, then my guess is we'll see upgrades and renovations done in several phases over the course of many years pending available funds and the timeline to get things done during offseasons.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
JSHarveytrevordude

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 20th, 2023, 12:21 am

Aglicious wrote:
January 19th, 2023, 11:51 pm
This only makes me want to get on with the next AD as soon as possible. I also have no idea what Bovee is talking about. The master plan study that was conducted showed the first 2 or 3 options for a new arena to be right across the street from Maverik or even adjacent to it on the upper east side with a rework of Aggie Village. This whole talk of 2 miles away from campus is bogus. And yes, the studies did show that renovating was only slightly less than new construction. I can tell you right now with the price of materials and shortage of labor that renovation is not going to come cheap even for what many people would consider minor upgrades.

The biggest problem with remodel/renovation is that once you touch anything of the magnitude we are talking, the entire facility must be brought up to current building code, including ADA standards. This is where The Spectrum fails miserably which will cause massive changes to have to be done. All seating and access aisles would need to be respaced and resized and the concourse would need to be widened. There is a good possibility that the space around the court area would need to be increased which would also lower capacity and move seats further away.

This doesn't even address the need to bring the facility into this century with bigger and/or more restrooms, concessions, locker rooms, offices, luxury seating options, sound system, etc.

I love the nostalgia of The Spectrum but honestly it is not a whole lot different than looking at that poor old press box that used to sit atop Romney Stadium for way too long. At some point you just have to come to terms that it has served its purpose and it's time to move on to something that will carry us for the next 50 years.

Getting the master plan and arena study done was the first step but JH sort of stopped there. He was never one to focus on facility upgrades or secure large private donations/funds to make them a reality so it's not a shock that it has gone nowhere since then. The Spectrum is serviceable (barely) but it won't be for much longer without a major overhaul. If keeping The Spectrum is what they decide, then my guess is we'll see upgrades and renovations done in several phases over the course of many years pending available funds and the timeline to get things done during offseasons.
Who ends up footing the Bill for a new stadium or serious renovation? The University? The state? Is it only coming with private Donations?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 20th, 2023, 1:00 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 20th, 2023, 12:21 am

Who ends up footing the Bill for a new stadium or serious renovation? The University? The state? Is it only coming with private Donations?
That is the 64 million dollar question. I would imagine it is a little from all three.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » January 20th, 2023, 7:28 am

I remember there being a student vote (2013?) on the new building where the HYPER was. Some of the funding for that was to come from student tuition. I imagine a new basketball facility would likely draw from tuition as well?

Where only sage brush grows

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 20th, 2023, 7:54 am

Allegedly we got 5.3 million dollars from the student fees all students pay.

We really should triple that amount. It’s built into the tuition. If instead of 100 dollars total, it’s 300, we would be in a lot better shape, and heck the federal government is going to end up paying it anyway with FAFsA/Loans.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 20th, 2023, 8:15 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 20th, 2023, 7:54 am

We really should triple that amount. It’s built into the tuition. If instead of 100 dollars total, it’s 300, we would be in a lot better shape, and heck the federal government is going to end up paying it anyway with FAFsA/Loans.
Just so much to unpack here...

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 20th, 2023, 8:32 am

There are only two sources of funds for the operations of the university, including new buildings. There are state funds and private donations. University funds are state funds. A project needs to get in the cue with the State Building Board and begin moving up the list. The Building Board is only advisory to the legislature itself which can move pet projects to the top of the priority list. Lyle Hillyard was a champion for USU in the legislature.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
JSHarvey

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » January 20th, 2023, 9:11 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:

Starting to sound like healthcare providers with that last sentence there.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 20th, 2023, 9:55 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:

I’m not sure what it is now but I’d imagine it’s closer to $200.

I was on the Student Fee Board in 2008-09 when it was doubled and I think it went up to about $150 then. We decided it was controversial enough to have students vote on it (then the only fees that had to pass a student vote were new fees which was the same year the Aggie Blue Bike program was approved). I think it narrowly passed and that was with heavy pressure from the department.

I agree money would probably have to come from students, donations, and the legislature but my guess is a really big fee increase wouldn’t pass but maybe the attitude towards athletics has really improved since then

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 20th, 2023, 10:12 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 19th, 2023, 10:16 pm
Updated seats and more leg room. This would likely drop capacity to like 8000, but it would be worth it.
I agree...we aren't getting more than 8K anyway. Improve the experience for those who to to the games.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
LarryTheAggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 20th, 2023, 10:40 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
We would need to do the same if we wanted to modify the seating at all. None of it is up to code, so the second we try to change it we have to rip out concrete and re-pour it. We'd lose quite a few seats. I'm guessing it would go from 10,270 to somewhere around 8,500 or 9,000. It would be more comfortable though (if done right).

Would be nice to add some suites somewhere if we're going to renovate.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » January 20th, 2023, 11:51 am

Seats need to be one of the top priorities (that goes without saying), but I'd also like them to drop our color scheme on the seats and just go with blue.. Every empty seat in the arena stands out.

TV, audio, and concessions all need some love and attention too. I was at one of the concession stands for the UNLV game this week and the TV there showing the game looked to have about the same TV quality we had back in the Wayne Estes days.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 20th, 2023, 1:06 pm

I agree. The audio/video technology in the Spectrum is severely outdated. Hopefully when they upgrade it they'll go top-of-the-line to future proof it a little.

Kevincurtisforlife

Post by Kevincurtisforlife » January 20th, 2023, 2:02 pm

Hands down better seats would be on the top of my list. They are uncomfortable and not much leg room.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » January 20th, 2023, 2:40 pm

It is a nit picky point, but I'd really like to see the Spectrum be decked out in the Aggie colors. Whoever picked the current color scheme must have been on some serious meds at the time (IMO).

Edit: https://usustatesman.com/36-seasons/ Apparently the colors are supposed to mimic Cache Valley in the fall and make people feel "warmer" in the cold Logan winters.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 20th, 2023, 2:56 pm

I just don't really like the baby-crap greenish-grayish-brownish seat colors in the current scheme.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » January 20th, 2023, 4:14 pm

Some newer stadiums have a standing section with a rail or small shelf between the rows.

Not sure I've seen this in a basketball stadium?

Might be more if a pain as the Spectrum is used for more than basketball games. But I would've preferred a standing section with shelf when I was a student

Not sent from Tapatalk

Corbin7

Post by Corbin7 » January 20th, 2023, 7:51 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

The Spectrum truly looks like it has had no changes since 70s. The building needs new seats (preferably school colors), sound system, bathrooms, concessions, and a wider walkway. Remodeling this building would be a massive project to undertake, and as you pointed out this does not even include the challenges with the ADA. The problem is, I don't think they should do this at the expense of losing seats. The university is slowly growing, and getting rid of seats does not make sense to me. Maybe they could expand the current location?

Hoot

Post by Hoot » January 21st, 2023, 8:08 am

Corbin7 wrote:
January 20th, 2023, 7:51 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

The Spectrum truly looks like it has had no changes since 70s. The building needs new seats (preferably school colors), sound system, bathrooms, concessions, and a wider walkway. Remodeling this building would be a massive project to undertake, and as you pointed out this does not even include the challenges with the ADA. The problem is, I don't think they should do this at the expense of losing seats. The university is slowly growing, and getting rid of seats does not make sense to me. Maybe they could expand the current location?
I agree. Let’s tear the roof off and add a second level.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 21st, 2023, 8:42 am

I agree with many on here that there doesn't need to be a new arena. Just some renovations. Get rid of the mustard color seats and update the seats a little bit even if it results into a reduction of capacity (I would keep the reduction small though, don't want to decrease the capacity too much.) The sound system yes, possibly even the jumbotron if they want to replace that. I haven't looked at the locker rooms lately but maybe look into that (not as much of a priority as the other stuff).

The football stadium is what needs renovation the most in my opinion, and it looks like that's what the focus is on anyways.

FeartheFro

Spectrum renovation?

Post by FeartheFro » January 21st, 2023, 1:16 pm

For those wishing to do away with the Spectrum, Cameron Indoor Stadium, Wrigley Field and Fenway Park would like a word. The Spectrum (IMO) gives a tremendous home court advantage that I personally would hate to see go away. Concession areas suck, bathrooms suck, seat room sucks but with all that said it is the best pure basketball environment I have EVER been a part of including high school, college and NBA. Let’s love this beautiful old arena and embrace its unique color scheme!!! Keep it safe and keep the best home court advantage in the MW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by FeartheFro on January 21st, 2023, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post (total 4):
FloridaAggie1320Traetreesap32jackattack

Locked Previous topicNext topic