Close win helps us more than a Blowout

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bullnamed_gus

Close win helps us more than a Blowout

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 17th, 2023, 9:09 pm

Even though it had me really nervous, a close win helps us more than a blowout, if my math is correct.

If we blow them out they go further down the road into a Q3 win, but if we win close, they start to creep up into Q2 territory with such a strong showing vs a Q1 opponent on the road.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
USU78

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Re: Close win helps us more than a Blowout

Post by sam tingey » January 17th, 2023, 9:19 pm

A win helps. I didn't think we would win. I believed in the black jersey curse.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 17th, 2023, 9:49 pm

If you’re talking about strictly numbers, the blowout helps more 100% of the time. The quadrants are just a fun way of keeping track of how your schedule really looks. Our NET is high right now because we’ve blown out several good teams. If we make those close games to help our opponents quadrant, we wouldn’t be rated so high.

Now if you’re talking about game time experience in a tight game much like we might see in the post-season, then yes, a close win helps us more.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
MrBiggle

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 17th, 2023, 10:31 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 17th, 2023, 9:49 pm
If you’re talking about strictly numbers, the blowout helps more 100% of the time. The quadrants are just a fun way of keeping track of how your schedule really looks. Our NET is high right now because we’ve blown out several good teams. If we make those close games to help our opponents quadrant, we wouldn’t be rated so high.

Now if you’re talking about game time experience in a tight game much like we might see in the post-season, then yes, a close win helps us more.
I was mainly speaking this specific game. Not every game. I’d love blowouts. But when the committee starts looking at our Resume, and UNLV is a Q2 win instead of a Q3 win, it will look better imo.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 17th, 2023, 11:25 pm

Winning by less than we were expected hurts our metrics. That being said I don't give a damn just happy with the grit. Learning how to win close games has been the kryptonite of Odom in conference so finding a way to pull out this victory will go a lot further than blowing them out by 15.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 18th, 2023, 1:53 am

I thought it helped to learn how to finish a close game and learn how to play against a physical team - the type we see in the NCAA tournament. We won the game, but hopefully learned that 21 turnovers is not going to cut it.

Eutaw St. Aggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 18th, 2023, 4:50 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 17th, 2023, 10:31 pm

I was mainly speaking this specific game. Not every game. I’d love blowouts. But when the committee starts looking at our Resume, and UNLV is a Q2 win instead of a Q3 win, it will look better imo.
That is true when it comes to the committee. The question is if they will appreciate an extra Q2 win more than a few spots higher in the net

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 18th, 2023, 6:08 am

January 18th, 2023, 4:50 am
Bullnamed_gus wrote:

That is true when it comes to the committee. The question is if they will appreciate an extra Q2 win more than a few spots higher in the net
It will depend on what excuse the committee needs to use to lower our seed or keep us out altogether.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 18th, 2023, 7:08 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:

I want a higher margin of victory every time. Our opponents can improve their own NET when they play against other teams.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 18th, 2023, 7:51 am

I don't care much about the metrics. Win and win big. That will fix any metric out there.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0BustaMcNutt

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » January 18th, 2023, 8:01 am

after not being able to recover after opponent big runs in the losses to date, I was glad to see this team win by more than 1 possession after giving up double-digit leads at least 3 times and trailing late
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post (total 2):
hickaggieflying_scotsman2.0

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 18th, 2023, 8:21 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
January 18th, 2023, 8:01 am
after not being able to recover after opponent big runs in the losses to date, I was glad to see this team win by more than 1 possession after giving up double-digit leads at least 3 times and trailing late
I was watching the first half and thought that we would probably lose this game. UNLV was really big and athletic and seemed to get in there and score when they wanted. Props to Akin and Dorius for some solid defense and rebounding. Glad to see us pull this one out. The conference is strong this year, no gimmes.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
AGinNEIowa

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 18th, 2023, 8:23 am

Gotta agree here. 3 of the 4 Aggie losses were a result of not being able to close out. Last night should be a confidence boost. I think part of the problem in this grind stretch of the season was not playing from behind very much and not having teams make a run at them when the 3s stop falling.

For about a 5 minute stretch there they sure panicked on offense but kept the game from becoming another Nevada with a couple charge calls and some nice defensive recoveries. Pulling out the win in gritty fashion after that may be real step forward.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
AGinNEIowa

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 18th, 2023, 9:29 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:

I think come end of year our NET will be top 30. Which on paper should be good enough for us to get in. But they’re going to look for justification to keep us out because we had some blowout and some bad Q4 losses. If we sneak out a few Q1 games, and then have a great record in Q2 games, it look better than having an okay Q2 resumes, but a bunch of blowout Q3 w’s, at least from a human element. Computers have said we should be a lock for the tournament, so I’m not worried about that anymore. Im worried about Eye Test, because the computers aren’t how teams are decided

Locked Previous topicNext topic