Getting pushed all over by Nevada

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieSox

Getting pushed all over by Nevada

Post by AggieSox » January 13th, 2023, 11:03 pm

Nevada in 2nd half is just following Boise's game plan and being physical.

This will be what every team does to us if they have some physical guys. Refs aint calling anything for us.

Our guys losing their emotions and cant play defense or hit a shot

Section_L_Aggie

Re: Getting pushed all over by Nevada

Post by Section_L_Aggie » January 13th, 2023, 11:05 pm

Once Alford started (I can't express myself without swearing) to the refs they stopped calling anything on Nevada. Combine that with us being able to buy a basket and this is what happens.

Why do we get all 3 of Randy McCall, Verne Harris and Larry Spaulding??? There aren’t any more games in the league or in the west and we get those (I can't express myself without swearing).
These users thanked the author Section_L_Aggie for the post (total 2):
SLBAggieFBObsession

:utah: :state: :scotsman:

Jdav

Post by Jdav » January 13th, 2023, 11:06 pm

Can someone teach Odom how to call a freaking time out? Runs of 17-0 and 10-0. This is not a new thing. He loves to watch good leads get squandered before trying something.
These users thanked the author Jdav for the post (total 3):
AggieSoxAggie19AggieFBObsession

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 13th, 2023, 11:07 pm

AggieSox wrote:Nevada in 2nd half is just following Boise's game plan and being physical.

This will be what every team does to us if they have some physical guys. Refs aint calling anything for us.

Our guys losing their emotions and cant play defense or hit a shot
I don’t understand why Akin can’t get a call. He gets hacked almost every play and the refs just stop calling it. Then they call him for playing the same way on defense. It’s maddening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
AggieSox

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » January 13th, 2023, 11:07 pm

Stupid turnovers, poor defense, horrid decision making, and terrible shot selection probably has more to do with the collective mental fortitude of the team than anything called or not called. We were done a few minutes before Alford got upset.
These users thanked the author cdaAg for the post (total 2):
jackattackAggieFBObsession

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 13th, 2023, 11:07 pm

Maybe the Ags ought to play through contact instead of shying away and expecting the foul. Let's throw our hands on the air and hope they call it. Soft.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
AggieSoxJacobByb

Go Aggies!

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » January 13th, 2023, 11:12 pm

cdaAg wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:07 pm
Stupid turnovers, poor defense, horrid decision making, and terrible shot selection probably has more to do with the collective mental fortitude of the team than anything called or not called. We were done a few minutes before Alford got upset.
Agree to disagree. It was either tied or a 2 point lead for us when he started crying. A competitive enjoyable game all of the sudden changes cuz of a whiny (I can't express myself without swearing) coach and craptastic refs.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » January 13th, 2023, 11:14 pm

Jdav wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:06 pm
Can someone teach Odom how to call a freaking time out? Runs of 17-0 and 10-0. This is not a new thing. He loves to watch good leads get squandered before trying something.
AMEN. The dude just sits there and even when he calls a timeout, there isnt much change. TOTAL CHOKE by coach and Players tonight. that was JOKE.
These users thanked the author AggieSox for the post:
Aggie19

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 13th, 2023, 11:15 pm

Teams look like they play great defense when the refs allow them to. The refs decided to just stop calling fouls. I hate when people say it’s ok to play “rough” when it’s really a foul. That’s bs.

Plus, everyone said that patting your head is a instant T, a Nevada guy did it to Shulga and no call. So I think it’s just goes to show again, we get called for stuff that other teams don’t. I’ve seen in the Big10 that same thing done and no call. It’s garbage that we get a technical for it.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post (total 3):
Section_L_Aggieaggies22AggieFBObsession

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » January 13th, 2023, 11:16 pm

We are as soft as hell. HUGE game on the road. Still looking for a Quad 1 win. They go on a 19-0 run. We have nothing.

Who is the guy on our team that you want to have your back in a back alley brawl? We don’t have that guy, and that’s a huge problem.

We need an enforcer. We need a SOB.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 3):
AggieSoxutaggiesAggieFBObsession

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » January 13th, 2023, 11:18 pm

we literally ran out of gas. Couldn't even bring the ball down the court without turning it over.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
trevordude

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 13th, 2023, 11:20 pm

Dorius going out was killer. I think we should have put zapala in to teach Baker a lesson
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
AggieSox

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 13th, 2023, 11:20 pm

This team is just Mentally and Physically soft. That’s all this is.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post (total 4):
AggieSoxaggies22SwaggieAggieAggieFBObsession

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » January 13th, 2023, 11:21 pm

918AGG wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:16 pm
We are as soft as hell. HUGE game on the road. Still looking for a Quad 1 win. They go on a 19-0 run. We have nothing.

Who is the guy on our team that you want to have your back in a back alley brawl? We don’t have that guy, and that’s a huge problem.

We need an enforcer. We need a SOB.
We need that guy or 2 guys big time. SUPER SOFT at every position, including the coach, that was my point with the post, we get pushed all over at every spot on the court in physical games and theres nobody who can stand their ground or just hammer somebody and send a message. There's nobody that can Brawl and showup on this team.

really too bad too, cuz we have the shooters and guys to handle the ball.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 13th, 2023, 11:21 pm

sam tingey wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:18 pm
we literally ran out of gas. Couldn't even bring the ball down the court without turning it over.
This is true. With Jones out we have Akin off the bench. RJER and Hamoda are generally not sustainable for many minutes which burns them out later in the game.

bpd

Post by bpd » January 13th, 2023, 11:22 pm

1 stop blaming the refs.

2. We are soft as charmin. Bairstow gets backed down for points in the paint all the time. Akin flops all over the place. Funk can’t score and takes terrible shots. Shulga has more turnovers than Betty Crocker.

We are not tough. We don’t know how to play on the road, we don’t know how to play against teams that want to bully us.

It is NIT for us.
Last edited by bpd on January 13th, 2023, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 4):
Intermeddler20TraeBustaMcNuttutaggies

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 13th, 2023, 11:23 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:20 pm
Dorius going out was killer. I think we should have put zapala in to teach Baker a lesson
I agree, Zapala should have went in for a few minutes to see if he could have effective.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AggieSox

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » January 13th, 2023, 11:23 pm

How do we get to pay physical when we tap our own heads and get called for a foul and our guys get stepped on the face and nothing. refs didn't lose this for us, but it is hard to play physical when you are targeted. you end up like dorius. out of the game with 10 minutes left
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post (total 2):
Section_L_AggieSLB

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » January 13th, 2023, 11:23 pm

Section_L_Aggie wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:12 pm
cdaAg wrote:
Agree to disagree. It was either tied or a 2 point lead for us when he started crying. A competitive enjoyable game all of the sudden changes cuz of a whiny (I can't express myself without swearing) coach and craptastic refs.
Fair enough. To provide some context for my perspective, we were holding steady at a 7 point lead when we started making stupid mistakes consistently on offense. IMO, by the time it was down to a 2 point game, we were already done. And of course, you're free to see it differently than me.
These users thanked the author cdaAg for the post:
Section_L_Aggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 13th, 2023, 11:25 pm

bpd wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:22 pm
1 stop blaming the refs.

2. We are soft as charmin. Bairstow gets backed down for points in the paint all the time. Akin flops all over the place. Funk can’t score and takes terrible shots. Shulga has more turnovers than Betty Crocker.

We are not tough. We don’t know how to play on the road, we don’t know how to play against teams that want to bully us.
We could lose by 50 and there’d be some comment about the refs on here. Never fails.

Bairstow, Ashworth, and Shulga look like they saw the weight room on a tour their first day here and haven’t been back. We just get pushed off our spots too easily and can’t play through contact.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 3):
KevincurtisforlifeutaggiesAggieFBObsession

Section_L_Aggie

Post by Section_L_Aggie » January 13th, 2023, 11:26 pm

bpd wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:22 pm
1 stop blaming the refs.

Refs are a part of the game and sometimes they suck and affect things. There’s nothing superior or more sportsmanlike to not blaming refs.

When we try to show some contact back we get fouls called. Bullying is for football not for basketball.

SLB

Post by SLB » January 13th, 2023, 11:29 pm

We missed a lot of shots that we make regularly. Nevada played out of their minds. Baker got to a point where he was doing 1-hand tosses from distance that went in over and over. Nevada had a ton of front rim scores which I have never seen at that level of volume, and Nevada is a good team. Ashworth is in a slump, and we got gassed without Jones. Leaving RJ in puzzles me. We should have put Zapala in against Baker to keep Dorius going while keeping Akin as a 4. The refs were again got in full save the other team mode, and it has been a thing all season long.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
ThunderAggie

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 13th, 2023, 11:30 pm

SLB wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:29 pm
We missed a lot of shots that we make regularly. Nevada played out of their minds. Baker got to a point where he was doing 1-hand tosses from distance that went in over and over. Nevada had a ton of front rim scores which I have never seen at that level of volume, and Nevada is a good team. Ashworth is in a slump, and we got gassed without Jones. Leaving RJ in puzzles me. We should have put Zapala in against Baker to keep Dorius going while keeping Akin as a 4. The refs were again got in full save the other team mode, and it has been a thing all season long.
Honestly I agree with everything you said. That about sums it up. However we are pretty soft and fell apart on our own.
Last edited by ThunderAggie on January 13th, 2023, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
SLB

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 13th, 2023, 11:31 pm

SLB wrote:
How many times does an opposing team “play out of their mind, not normal, total fluke” against us for you to realize maybe we’re the reason why they’re playing so great?

We are soft. Sure the refs sucked, but the refs didn’t force z funk to take the staggered feet pull up 3s.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post (total 2):
Intermeddlerutaggies

SLB

Post by SLB » January 13th, 2023, 11:31 pm

sam tingey wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:23 pm
How do we get to pay physical when we tap our own heads and get called for a foul and our guys get stepped on the face and nothing. refs didn't lose this for us, but it is hard to play physical when you are targeted. you end up like dorius. out of the game with 10 minutes left
This is true. I am not sure that we are allowed to play physical for some odd reason.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » January 13th, 2023, 11:32 pm

AggieSox wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:14 pm
Jdav wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:06 pm
AMEN. The dude just sits there and even when he calls a timeout, there isnt much change. TOTAL CHOKE by coach and Players tonight. that was JOKE.
I don't think calling a timeout is like an uno reverse card

These users thanked the author trevordude for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025quirky

Not sent from Tapatalk

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 13th, 2023, 11:32 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:31 pm
SLB wrote:
How many times does an opposing team “play out of their mind, not normal, total fluke” against us for you to realize maybe we’re the reason why they’re playing so great?

We are soft. Sure the refs sucked, but the refs didn’t force z funk to take the staggered feet pull up 3s.
We missed shots we normally make at home against overmatched teams. Against good teams we always seem to shoot poorly.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 13th, 2023, 11:33 pm

SLB wrote:
Do we make those shots on the road? Maybe against AF but not against good teams. It seems as though a lot of teams we play have really good offensive games. Boise and Nevada played out of their minds against us. Give credit to Nevada and Boise but I think it is more our bad defense than it is the other teams just playing out of their minds.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Intermeddler

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 13th, 2023, 11:34 pm

Is it an Xs and Os or Jimmies and Joes thing?

I think the latter — we just don’t match up physically with a certain level of opponent.

Too many wasted schollies on the roster. :noidea:
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
IntermeddlerAggie19Kevincurtisforlife

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » January 13th, 2023, 11:36 pm

Weird how important defense is!
These users thanked the author stewusu98 for the post (total 2):
Aggie19AggieFBObsession

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 13th, 2023, 11:38 pm

cdaAg wrote:
Section_L_Aggie wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:12 pm
cdaAg wrote:
Fair enough. To provide some context for my perspective, we were holding steady at a 7 point lead when we started making stupid mistakes consistently on offense. IMO, by the time it was down to a 2 point game, we were already done. And of course, you're free to see it differently than me.
The game changed when the refs started calling everything for them, in particular that 3 foul possession and then Dorius went out. Even the announcers were mentioning it. The refs changed right then and said Akin and others can’t play physical or you will get called. Then their center just hammered away and Blackshear just hammered away. Not just on offense but on defense.

Again, it is easy to play great defense when they hit you on drives, hit you on cuts, hit you on shots, hit you on rebounds. The refs just stopped calling fouls on Nevada at that point and half the possessions in their run were FTs on 6 fouls. 0 fouls called on them until the end of the 19-0 run when Shulga gets tackled.

That game was a really great game until the refs changed the way it was going to be played. We were already shooting really cold from in the second half and we were still in the game. But not after their “great D”. We made mistakes sure but is was in the realm of what we had been doing all game and we still leading. The thing that changed, the refs.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post (total 5):
Section_L_AggieSLBFloridaAggie13Aggie84025AggiePT

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 13th, 2023, 11:39 pm

I don’t mind refs allowing things to get physical but please allow both teams to play that way.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 3):
Section_L_Aggieaggies22AggiePT

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » January 13th, 2023, 11:40 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:I don’t mind refs allowing things to get physical but please allow both teams to play that way.
This

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 13th, 2023, 11:41 pm

I remember one foul on Bairstow near the baseline 3 pt line and he literally barely touched him. Even the announcers were upset.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 2):
Section_L_AggieAggiePT

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 13th, 2023, 11:42 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 11:39 pm
I don’t mind refs allowing things to get physical but please allow both teams to play that way.
Who do we have that can play a physical brand of basketball?

Maybe Akin if he stops whining? Dorius tries, but ends up just fouling a lot because he just isn’t quite skilled enough to be a serious option at the MW-level of competition.

We are a finesse team that is wholly-dependent on shooting threes.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on January 13th, 2023, 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
IntermeddlerZaggie07AggieFBObsession

Locked Previous topicNext topic